Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Strong Shall Reign E5
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Exclamation The Strong Shall Reign E5

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024 11:08 AM by UCGrad1992.)
02-02-2024 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: The Strong Shall Reign E1
I really like how CSS recognizes that last year was not acceptable and he's putting a plan in place to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Roster overhaul, getting rid of malcontent players, taking the off-season program up another notch, throwing familiarity out the window and hiring a guy (Veidt) from outside his coaching circle. I suspect we will hear about more changes come spring ball and summer camp.

02-03-2024 10:32 AM
icecat21 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Love the new strength coach. Love how Coach Satterfield has responded to last years disappointing season. I still believe he can be the right guy. Go Bearcats, lets win the Big 12 and lets go win a national championship real soon! I respect coaches who want to be the very best, who come in with an attitude and expectation to be the very best. eg. Huggins and Kelly both talked about winning National Championships. On the other hand, Dantonio talked about beating Miami of Ohio, not acceptable, he did not understand the program or the expectation here, it appears Coach Satt does.

Go Bearcats!

02-03-2024 11:14 AM
RuckleSt Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-03-2024 11:14 AM)icecat21 Wrote:  Love the new strength coach. Love how Coach Satterfield has responded to last years disappointing season. I still believe he can be the right guy. Go Bearcats, lets win the Big 12 and lets go win a national championship real soon! I respect coaches who want to be the very best, who come in with an attitude and expectation to be the very best. eg. Huggins and Kelly both talked about winning National Championships. On the other hand, Dantonio talked about beating Miami of Ohio, not acceptable, he did not understand the program or the expectation here, it appears Coach Satt does.

Go Bearcats!

In fairness to Dantonio, UC football had only won 9 Conference titles and played in only 7 bowl games in the 119 years prior to his arrival, so the expectations at that time were considerably lower. Since his arrival (20 years), they have won 7 conference titles and played in 15 bowl games, and IMO he played an important role in building the foundation for the last two decades of success.

02-03-2024 12:00 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I like that he was up front about last season and as has been pointed out several times here we weren't that far off in a lot of games last year. Do we really want somebody that just blows smoke up your a$$ ??

I like that we've got Sorsby. I think he's somebody to build on. I watched several IU games last year and I felt bad for the guy while actually thinking to myself that guy would be good on a better team.

02-03-2024 01:42 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Exclamation RE: The Strong Shall Reign E2

02-20-2024 10:01 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

RE: The Strong Shall Reign E3

03-01-2024 07:54 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
RE: The Strong Shall Reign E3

03-03-2024 11:52 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

RE: The Strong Shall Reign E4

03-11-2024 09:44 PM
uchoops Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: The Strong Shall Reign E4
(03-11-2024 09:44 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Looking forward to a much better season

03-12-2024 07:04 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

RE: The Strong Shall Reign E5
I appreciate how hard the team and staff are working to get better and improving the culture. Let's hope it translates on the field this season.

04-16-2024 11:09 AM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(04-16-2024 11:09 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I appreciate how hard the team and staff are working to get better and improving the culture. Let's hope it translates on the field this season.
Not to be an excuse guy but I do think there's legitimate reasons for it. With the way the calendar works out if you change coaches in the portal era you're going to take a step back, it seems to me unavoidable. Portal opens after the season and it takes you time to get a new coach in and by the time he comes in you've lost a bunch and the guys you'd want to get to replace them are already down the road with other schools.

We'll find out in the next couple years if the hire was successful or not but I put a lot of last season on the situation of coaching change and jump in competition rather than the hire being a failure. I don't know how many coaches are going to win a lot of B12 games with Emory Jones. That said perception matters and if you don't stabilize it quickly you're almost in a spiral you can't recover from.

04-17-2024 06:09 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(04-17-2024 06:09 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(04-16-2024 11:09 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I appreciate how hard the team and staff are working to get better and improving the culture. Let's hope it translates on the field this season.
Not to be an excuse guy but I do think there's legitimate reasons for it. With the way the calendar works out if you change coaches in the portal era you're going to take a step back, it seems to me unavoidable. Portal opens after the season and it takes you time to get a new coach in and by the time he comes in you've lost a bunch and the guys you'd want to get to replace them are already down the road with other schools.

We'll find out in the next couple years if the hire was successful or not but I put a lot of last season on the situation of coaching change and jump in competition rather than the hire being a failure. I don't know how many coaches are going to win a lot of B12 games with Emory Jones. That said perception matters and if you don't stabilize it quickly you're almost in a spiral you can't recover from.

The answer is none. But I said when they identified him as their guy early that it was a red flag. Someone on the staff was a dummy who didn't watch a lick of film or who had a messiah complex if they thought he was the guy for anything other than what we got.

I still feel bad for the folks whose couple hundred K went towards that NIL check.

04-17-2024 08:00 AM
RuckleSt Offline
All American

(04-17-2024 08:00 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(04-17-2024 06:09 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  

The answer is none. But I said when they identified him as their guy early that it was a red flag. Someone on the staff was a dummy who didn't watch a lick of film or who had a messiah complex if they thought he was the guy for anything other than what we got.

I still feel bad for the folks whose couple hundred K went towards that NIL check.

They thought they were getting a Ferrari and ended up getting a Fiero

04-17-2024 09:31 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(04-17-2024 06:09 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  I don't know how many coaches are going to win a lot of B12 games with Emory Jones.

But that's my point exactly that they were picking off the left overs giving the portal timing. If they were there at the beginning of the portal season and identified him I'd give them a lot more blame for what they ended up with. To me what happens with Sorsby will be a much better indication of their ability to identify and attract talent than trying to cobble together something given the timing of the coaching change.

04-17-2024 10:29 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

^^^^
Not only the timing of the coaching change but the timing of playing teams not named ECU, Tulsa, Temple, USF, et al., for auto-wins. Jones was meh but he wasn't the only reason for our struggles. I remember a makeable FG kick or two and a pooh defensive backfield that resembled swiss cheese at times could've made a difference in wins and losses...

I agree Sorsby will be a better indicator of the staff's ability managing the roster via portal additions. If they blow this one, then yikes...

04-17-2024 10:43 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(04-17-2024 10:29 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(04-17-2024 06:09 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  I don't know how many coaches are going to win a lot of B12 games with Emory Jones.

But that's my point exactly that they were picking off the left overs giving the portal timing. If they were there at the beginning of the portal season and identified him I'd give them a lot more blame for what they ended up with. To me what happens with Sorsby will be a much better indication of their ability to identify and attract talent than trying to cobble together something given the timing of the coaching change.

He committed here halfway through December 22' before most bowl games were played. He was in the portal a week. He knew where he was going. They targeted that guy. He wasn't what was left over. He was just what some dolt thought would work.

04-17-2024 01:01 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(04-17-2024 09:31 AM)RuckleSt Wrote:  They thought they were getting a Ferrari and ended up getting a Fiero

Dude, that little car was dope in high school.

04-17-2024 01:40 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-17-2024 01:01 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(04-17-2024 10:29 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  

He committed here halfway through December 22' before most bowl games were played. He was in the portal a week. He knew where he was going. They targeted that guy. He wasn't what was left over. He was just what some dolt thought would work.

CSS hired 12/5
EJ signed 12/21
Zach Smith hired 12/22
Rest of recruiting staff hired 1/3-1/9.

You think those were ideal circumstances to vet and get a good QB? Me neither, but hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good HC bashing.

04-17-2024 03:16 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
I think Jones knew where he was going by about the 13th.

I probably saw Jones play live in 2022 two more times than our staff did. The guy was a train wreck in year 5. No pixie dust to fix that mess for year 6

They should have called me to consult for free lol...would have told them not just hard pass but don't even answer the ******* phone pass.

They actively chose him for a 1 year fix. They didn't settle on him.

That 1st big boneheaded decision told me they perhaps weren't serious people for year 1. Year 2 they can obviously change that and appear to be doing so.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024 03:58 PM by rath v2.0.)
04-17-2024 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.