FM 98.9, The Roar of Memphis
WXMX-FM 98.1 (Memphis)
WNQM-AM 1300 (Nashville, TN)
XM 380
SXM App 970

Memphis Gameday Notes

Wichita State Gameday Notes

*‎Penny Hardaway is 123-58 (62-33 AAC) overall in his 6th season at Memphis
*Paul Mills is 115-95 (9-12 1-7 AAC @Wichita State) in his 7th season of college coaching.
*Memphis leads the series record with Wichita State 19-12. Memphis won the last game with the Shockers 112-86 in Jan 2024.
*‎Memphis is 292-53 (.852) all-time in FedEx Forum
*‎Memphis is 1,678–966–1 (.634) all-time.
02-02-2024 06:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: ***The Official Memphis vs Wichita State Basketball Thread***
GO TIGERS GO!

Although I have given up on the regular season, I still want to win.

And I wish Penny to view the remaining regular season games for AAC Tourney preparation. All strategy, tactics, and effort should be focus not on today , but for the start of the AAC Tourney. NCAA Tourney or bust.......
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2024 09:24 AM by Tiger1983.)
02-03-2024 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
A great showcase for CBS.

I’m pounding Memphis at -10.5.

You’re welcome Tigers for doing our part in stopping your hemorrhaging.
02-03-2024 12:06 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Winning is better than losing. Glad we won.
02-03-2024 03:06 PM
TigerBill Online
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
Wichita St. played a damned good game. I hope their fans are proud of the effort.
02-03-2024 05:07 PM
grapes Offline
GTG

I Root For: MEMPHIS/AAC
Its a miracle!!!
02-03-2024 05:44 PM
Advertisement

GoShox7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Shox
(02-03-2024 05:07 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  Wichita St. played a damned good game. I hope their fans are proud of the effort.

NO, we are not proud of every game choking in the 2nd half. Shouldn't have lost this one but same story every game which is why they have lost 8 straight.
02-03-2024 11:09 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Yesterday, the Tigers took the first step toward winning the AAC Tourney and auto bid.

The tale of the tape indicates good and bad. The bad revolves around turnovers (Tigers committed seven more than WSU and forced only five ) and poor shooting (37.5% FG) with the main culprit (Quinerly) converting only 1 - 13 shots. The good included out rebounding the Shockers and holding them to 35.6% shooting.

It was encouraging seeing the Tigers erase a 14 point deficit with 7:26 remaining. Penny said: “You saw a top-10 team in the country in the last eight minutes."

The terrible offensive performance is unusual and another 1-13 outing from JQ seems unlikely. The defense improved.

Has a corner has been turned and a straight path lies ahead or are the Tigers still lost in a maze? Will the desire to win put aside petty quarrels and grievances? They mainly control their destiny.
02-04-2024 08:10 AM
TigerBill Online
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(02-03-2024 11:09 PM)GoShox7 Wrote:  
(02-03-2024 05:07 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  Wichita St. played a damned good game. I hope their fans are proud of the effort.

NO, we are not proud of every game choking in the 2nd half. Shouldn't have lost this one but same story every game which is why they have lost 8 straight.

From an outsider's perspective, I applaud your team's effort early. I think you just ran out of gas. WSU is going to be dangerous with just a little more depth.
02-04-2024 11:22 AM
steves Offline
All American

I Root For: DA'TIGS'
(02-04-2024 08:10 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Yesterday, the Tigers took the first step toward winning the AAC Tourney and auto bid.

The tale of the tape indicates good and bad. The bad revolves around turnovers (Tigers committed seven more than WSU and forced only five ) and poor shooting (37.5% FG) with the main culprit (Quinerly) converting only 1 - 13 shots. The good included out rebounding the Shockers and holding them to 35.6% shooting.

It was encouraging seeing the Tigers erase a 14 point deficit with 7:26 remaining. Penny said: “You saw a top-10 team in the country in the last eight minutes."

The terrible offensive performance is unusual and another 1-13 outing from JQ seems unlikely. The defense improved.

Has a corner has been turned and a straight path lies ahead or are the Tigers still lost in a maze? Will the desire to win put aside petty quarrels and grievances? They mainly control their destiny.

Penny has insisted on playing 3 players that have no business playing ... and if he doesn't stop doing that ... Your comeback ain't happening. I read where he said Jonathan Pierre was the best player on the team .. Aaaahhh !! Ashton Hardaway should be working with the pillow guy he's so soft. !!! And Carl Cherenfant hasn't got a clue. Maybe next year !! Playing the tough schedule had one bad side ... The kids got little or no playing time. We have an 8 man rotation ... Coach thinks its more. 07-coffee3
02-04-2024 01:41 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(02-04-2024 01:41 PM)steves Wrote:  
(02-04-2024 08:10 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Yesterday, the Tigers took the first step toward winning the AAC Tourney and auto bid.

Penny has insisted on playing 3 players that have no business playing ... and if he doesn't stop doing that ... Your comeback ain't happening. I read where he said Jonathan Pierre was the best player on the team .. Aaaahhh !! Ashton Hardaway should be working with the pillow guy he's so soft. !!! And Carl Cherenfant hasn't got a clue. Maybe next year !! Playing the tough schedule had one bad side ... The kids got little or no playing time. We have an 8 man rotation ... Coach thinks its more. 07-coffee3

There is a growing consensus Penny sub patterns are disruptive and counterproductive.

Jason Munz also took pains to point out “Rotation curiosities”

I do not disparage players. It is simply easier to build chemistry among eight players or so than 11.

I was very enthralled with the “strength in numbers” approach, but it is not feasible in the transfer era.
02-04-2024 02:02 PM
Advertisement

Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2024 11:22 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(02-03-2024 11:09 PM)GoShox7 Wrote:  

From an outsider's perspective, I applaud your team's effort early. I think you just ran out of gas. WSU is going to be dangerous with just a little more depth.
Its not a run out of gas thing when you consistently give up big runs right out of halftime. I don't know what it is. In this game, WSU turned the ball over 4 or 5 times right out of half. This is what happens EVERY game. Thankfully at that point in the game, Memphis wasn't clicking yet so it didn't affect everything TOO much though getting even just 1-2 baskets out of those possessions instead changes the game completely at the end.

We play 9 players regularly, which is on the high side for a college team. So yet again, not a "run out of gas thing". Its a lack of skill, mental toughness, BBIQ and coaching down the stretch that keeps biting us.
02-04-2024 02:30 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(02-04-2024 02:02 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

There is a growing consensus Penny sub patterns are disruptive and counterproductive.

I do not disparage players. It is simply easier to build chemistry among eight players or so than 11.

I was very enthralled with the “strength in numbers” approach, but it is not feasible in the transfer era.

Agree with all the thoughts shared on this post about over-utilizing weaker players, and chemistry developing better among fewer - not more - players, especially given the HUGE turnover in players from last season.

You guys know MUCH more about Memphis basketball than I ever will, Penny for that matter as well. Might it be the case that he made a promise to the kids he recruited that they would all get a good amount of playing time to showcase their talents? Might that also be why at least a couple of them perhaps even chose Memphis over some of the other teams pursuing them in the off-season? Just asking, as I certainly have no clue.

You mentioned in a previous post, which I also agreed with, that Memphis should go to a high-octane offense and full-court/high pressure defensive philosophy to wear their opponents down. Using such a full rotation only makes sense in such a scenario because guys will need their rest. Penny isn't doing that though.

So as several of you are alluding to, either limit the rotation to your 8 strongest players whom you can count on the most, subbing in the others only as needed, OR if you're gonna commit to using basically everyone, then at least go full-throttle for 40 minutes.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2024 03:11 PM by Volkmar.)
02-04-2024 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Stop playing your frikken kids PENNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please God tell me he has no more kids. Now we have Stay Puft marshmallow Ashton for another three years.
02-04-2024 06:18 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(02-04-2024 02:02 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

Well thats where we differ. I disparage players when they're not players at this level. We're in year six of this bull**** and nothing ever changes. Penny's a moron. He'll never learn.

This is a side hustle for his narcissism.
02-04-2024 06:40 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt asks if penny= deion?
02-04-2024 08:45 PM
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
Why did penny get the Memphis job to begin with?

It seems like a lot of the players-turned-coaches without any real previous coaching resumes are flaming out.

Stackhouse is a fraud. Penny is a narcissistic a**hole. Deion just came off a really bad year. Dilfer didn’t do much this year…
02-04-2024 10:40 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
MyBB RE: ***The Official Memphis vs Wichita State Basketball Thread***
I'm shocked at what's happened to Wichita's program...
02-05-2024 12:07 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(02-04-2024 10:40 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Why did penny get the Memphis job to begin with?

It seems like a lot of the players-turned-coaches without any real previous coaching resumes are flaming out.

Stackhouse is a fraud. Penny is a narcissistic a**hole. Deion just came off a really bad year. Dilfer didn’t do much this year…

I do not know Penny personally, but he clearly is deeply invested in the City of Memphis and the Tiger program. He is loyal and breathed live into a program shredded by a "real" coach.

Fans of schools living in glass houses should be careful about throwing stones about "flame outs". Please compare and contrast Penny's regular and post season results (e.g., NET, record, standings, NCAA Tourney) with UAB's "real" coach and report back.
02-05-2024 08:35 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(02-05-2024 12:07 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I'm shocked at what's happened to Wichita's program...

Fire your hall of fame level coach, then do the lazy thing and promote his assistant .. then when trying to fix that you do the cheap thing and make a bad hire because you are still paying 2 other coaches. Just have to hope by the time we get out from under all these contracts we have enough brand power left to get an actual good coach.
02-05-2024 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.