Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Oregon Democrats Ban 10 GOP Lawmakers From The Ballot
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Oregon Democrats Ban 10 GOP Lawmakers From The Ballot
Quote:On Thursday, the Oregon Supreme Court upheld a decision by the state’s chief election official to ban 10 Republican state senators from the ballot this fall for walking out of the legislature to protest bills on abortion, guns, and transgenderism.

“Last year’s boycott lasted six weeks — the longest in state history — and paralyzed the legislative session, stalling hundreds of bills,” the Associated Press reported. If enough lawmakers walk out, they can deny the quorum required to legally pass legislation. Through their walkout, Oregon Republicans extracted concessions from Democrats on bills related to firearm transfers and medical procedures for abortion and transgender-identified people.

Voters approved ballot Measure 113 in 2022, which amended the state constitution to boot lawmakers from the ballot for more than 10 unexcused floor absences. Oregon voters passed Ballot Measure 113 after Republican walkouts in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

“We obviously disagree with the Supreme Court’s ruling,” said GOP Senate Minority Leader Tim Knopp, according to the AP. “But more importantly, we are deeply disturbed by the chilling impact this decision will have to crush dissent.”

Democrat lawmakers have also deployed walkouts to block legislation in Texas, Wisconsin, and Indiana. In 2021, Texas House Democrats staged a weeks-long walkout to prevent the passage of a Republican-sponsored election bill. Lawmakers made national headlines for launching the walkout by fleeing the state to Washington D.C., where they met with Vice President Kamala Harris. Democrats in Wisconsin and Indiana also staged legislative walkouts to delay progress on union-busting right-to-work bills.

In the last few months, Democrat U.S. House Rep. Jamal Bowman also received a slap on the wrist for pulling a fire alarm amid Democrats’ attempts to delay a vote on unfunded federal spending.

Stripping Oregon Republicans from ballot access marks the latest episode in a decades-long saga to eradicate the state’s political minority. Conservatives in Oregon have become so disillusioned by the leftist state government that activists are petitioning to redraw the state’s rural eastern counties into Idaho.

Just last year, Oregon Democrats rubber-stamped aggressive laws restricting guns and water use while expanding abortion and transgender interventions. Last year, lawmakers in the Idaho House of Representatives formally approved talks to annex disenchanted neighboring counties from Oregon.

Ballot bans have quickly become Democrats’ central campaign strategy, with former President Donald Trump disqualified as a candidate in Colorado and Maine. Challenges to Trump appearing on ballots have been filed in at least 35 states and remain unresolved in 16. The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in an appeal of Colorado’s court-ordered Trump removal next week.

Democrats are also working to keep Robert F. Kennedy Jr. off primary and state ballots, fearing his effect on Joe Biden’s re-election chances.

Link
02-01-2024 05:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Oregon Democrats Ban 10 GOP Lawmakers From The Ballot
Nothing says Democracy like banning your opposition from running for re-election because they dissented from your crazy destructive and most likely unconstitutional legislation.
02-01-2024 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-01-2024 05:51 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Nothing says Democracy like banning your opposition from running for re-election because they dissented from your crazy destructive and most likely unconstitutional legislation.

wE hAvE tO aBaNoDn dEmOcRaCy iN oRdEr tO sAvE iT
02-01-2024 06:05 PM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
Communism is how they win.
02-01-2024 06:08 PM
Advertisement

andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(02-01-2024 06:05 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  
(02-01-2024 05:51 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Nothing says Democracy like banning your opposition from running for re-election because they dissented from your crazy destructive and most likely unconstitutional legislation.

wE hAvE tO aBaNoDn dEmOcRaCy iN oRdEr tO sAvE iT

Democracy leads to dictatorships. Always has. Always will.
02-01-2024 06:18 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Didnt a whole bunch of dem filth fly to dc from texas to avoid a vote? They were heroes.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024 06:22 PM by shere khan.)
02-01-2024 06:21 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Oregon Democrats Ban 10 GOP Lawmakers From The Ballot
Are these the Oregon Republicans that skipped out on doing their job, failed to attend any of their votes, in violation of the law passed by Oregonians?

If so, Democrats didn't ban them, they banned themselves

Sent from my SM-F946U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024 07:17 PM by Kruciff.)
02-01-2024 07:16 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-01-2024 07:16 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Are these the Oregon Republicans that skipped out on doing their job, failed to attend any of their votes, in violation of the law passed by Oregonians?

So, were you as vocal in your criticism of the Texas "Killer Bee" democrats who did the same thing several years ago?
02-01-2024 07:28 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(02-01-2024 07:28 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(02-01-2024 07:16 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Are these the Oregon Republicans that skipped out on doing their job, failed to attend any of their votes, in violation of the law passed by Oregonians?

So, were you as vocal in your criticism of the Texas "Killer Bee" democrats who did the same thing several years ago?

Would you just read this before you absolutely must start conflating it with completely unrelated things

Link
02-01-2024 07:55 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Question would be whether this could be retroactive.
02-01-2024 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
So, we can just Vote anything in now. Great. That oughtta turn out ok. If representatives weigh more than 150lbs for women and over 199lbs for men they can run for re-election.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024 09:15 PM by Eagleaidaholic.)
02-01-2024 09:12 PM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
Oregon is completely fuxored anyway. What difference does it make?
02-01-2024 10:46 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(02-01-2024 09:12 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  So, we can just Vote anything in now. Great. That oughtta turn out ok. If representatives weigh more than 150lbs for women and over 199lbs for men they can run for re-election.

That's the problem I have. You can change the rules after the fact to target certain people.

Its like lowering the speed limit on a road from 55 to 45 and then giving everyone tickets who was over 45 the previous month.

Taking someone off the ballot is really extreme. Its very Fascist/Marxist.
02-01-2024 10:48 PM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
Liberals can’t ever be in charge of anything. Ever.
02-02-2024 07:43 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
They should have just pulled the fire alarm.
02-02-2024 07:48 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Wonder if this stimulates the Greater Idaho movement. https://www.greateridaho.org/the-maps/
Area only has 325,000 people with nearly half between Klamath County (voted yes) and Umatilla County (hasn't voted). Crook County votes in May.
02-02-2024 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.