Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wetzel: ESPN and MAC likely to rotate rivalry games out of weeknight MACtion
Bookmark and Share
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Wetzel: ESPN and MAC likely to rotate rivalry games out of weeknight MACtion
Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports reports. Great news for the MAC!

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/175...6532004328
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024 07:22 PM by BeatWestern!.)
01-31-2024 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: Wetzel: ESPN and MAC likely to rotate rivalry games out of weeknight MACtion
(01-31-2024 07:14 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports reports. Great news for the MAC!

Yes! I've been calling for this for years. Alumni, students and other fans of the programs are served by swapping these games to Saturdays and having some other game on the weekend ... while the average #MACtion viewer doesn't much care whether a game is a MAC rivalry game, they are just looking for a football game to watch.

Though I have to say it's a bit cold to give no love to EMU or Ball State.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024 07:44 PM by BruceMcF.)
01-31-2024 07:22 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: Wetzel: ESPN and MAC likely to rotate rivalry games out of weeknight MACtion
Copied your post (with credit) to the NIU forum. Some don't stop by here.

And yes ... great news!

Could be expanded, with plenty left for weeknights. Or perhaps weeknights on ESPN3-and-+ or ESPNU-and-+.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024 07:49 PM by pvk75.)
01-31-2024 07:46 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-31-2024 07:14 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports reports. Great news for the MAC!

Get rid of the ESPN weekday contract (or singificantly reduce the inventory and only play one MACtion game per week like SBC) and this wouldn't be an issue. Let CUSA play all the weekdays games on ESPNU.
01-31-2024 07:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2024 07:46 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  ... Could be expanded, with plenty left for weeknights. Or perhaps weeknights on ESPN3-and-+ or ESPNU-and-+.

The MAC should surely push for all ESPN3 games to also be on ESPN+, and if they get that, should push for all ESPNU games to also be on ESPN+.

But the only real expansion of reserving rivalry games for Saturdays would be Ball State / Miami and EMU / CMU.

Other than that, the push would be for a viable Saturday game partner that is an upgrade on the CBSSN sub-licensing, since with the MWC and CUSA, CBSSN only needs a Saturday game here and there during the season. The outlet that comes to mind is the CW, which is expanding their sports offerings but for FB only has legacy ACC rights held onto from an RSN contract pre-dating the ACCN. Replacing the CBSSN sub-licensing with a sub-licensing deal where the CW has a weekly Saturday MAC game in October and November, simulcast with ESPN+, would put the MAC on Basic Cable (and OTA in some markets) on Saturdays without fracturing the streaming access.
(01-31-2024 07:58 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Get rid of the ESPN weekday contract (or singificantly reduce the inventory and only play one MACtion game per week like SBC) and this wouldn't be an issue. ...

Yes, get rid of the main exposure the MAC gets during the regular season and step down to the a lower value media contract, and this would indeed not be an issue.

In other word, increase the amount of subsidy required from the MAC school budgets while decreasing the appeal of providing those subsidies. That sounds like a real plan. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024 08:37 AM by BruceMcF.)
02-01-2024 08:20 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(02-01-2024 08:20 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(01-31-2024 07:58 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Get rid of the ESPN weekday contract (or singificantly reduce the inventory and only play one MACtion game per week like SBC) and this wouldn't be an issue. ...

Yes, get rid of the main exposure the MAC gets during the regular season and step down to the a lower value media contract, and this would indeed not be an issue.

In other word, increase the amount of subsidy required from the MAC school budgets while decreasing the appeal of providing those subsidies. That sounds like a real plan. 07-coffee3

Many of these weekday games end up on ESPNU or no ESPN channels at all. I'm sorry but ESPNU is barely "exposure". Multiple midweek MAC games on ESPNU get 80k viewers or less. Think about that number for a second. 80k viewers is 1,600 people per US state. Those are pretty miniscule viewership numbers.

Also, you are asumming the money goes down for less content. The SBC plays significantly less weekday games than the MAC yet receives MORE money per school than us. Main reason why is because our leadership locked us into a new 13-year contract in 2014. SBC's current deal got them current market $$.
02-02-2024 07:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
1600 viewers in Wyoming is excellent!
02-02-2024 08:37 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
This was announced earlier last year, I thought.
02-02-2024 09:53 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-02-2024 09:53 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  This was announced earlier last year, I thought.

Searching around, this seems to have been announced in July.

I guess it is doing the rounds as a breaking "likely to" tweet because a lot of the people involved don't pay any attention to scheduling news out of the MAC between July and the open weekend between the NFL Conference Championships and the Superb Owl.

It also is not really great news, just "it could be worse" news, since "rotating out" means two years midweek (H/A), and two years on Saturday (H/A), with one of the four rotating into MACtion play in the year that another of the four rotates into Saturday.

So MACtion still gets two of the four biggest rivalry games every year, which is obviously less than ideal.

The MAC needs to keep pressing until all four are available to be played in October every year.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2024 03:30 PM by BruceMcF.)
02-03-2024 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.