Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The most-watched Group of Five teams (minimum five Nielsen-rated games)
KnightLife Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF
The most-watched Group of Five teams (minimum five Nielsen-rated games)
Most-watched teams on Nielsen-rated games, followed by their highest-rated game.

Navy 2.61 million (5): 7.18 million vs. Army
USF 927,000 (6): 4.84 million vs. Alabama
Tulane 640,000 (12): 1.72 million vs. Memphis
Boise State 590,000 (9): 1.97 million vs. Washington
Memphis 576,000 (7): 1.72 million vs. Tulane
Rice 541,000 (7): 3.21 million vs. Texas
12-19-2023 10:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

STL_Wave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
RE: The most-watched Group of Five teams (minimum five Nielsen-rated games)
What are the numbers for Army?
12-19-2023 11:14 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(12-19-2023 11:14 AM)STL_Wave Wrote:  What are the numbers for Army?

Army only had three Nielsen rated games, so they didn't make McMurphy's list.
CBSSN for their home games, and even at Air Force stayed on CBSSN instead of CBS pulling it up -- CBS took three PAC/Big12 visits to mwc teams as the OTA portion of their mwc commitment.

Army Navy 7.18 million
Army at UTSA 916k
Army at ULM 101k

A guy on medium does this each year but averages over 12/13 total regular season games. Different ways of looking at total viewers.

I was prepping a post on total viewers by team AND share of conference-controlled viewers for the existing thread on 2023 TV Viewers
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2023 03:00 PM by slhNavy91.)
12-19-2023 11:38 AM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Here are those teams' averages without their highest rated games:

Navy---1.174 million
USF----144k
Tulane---541.8k
Boise St---417.5k
Memphis---385.3k
Rice---96k
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2023 11:57 AM by aTxTIGER.)
12-19-2023 11:56 AM
Advertisement

JDTulane Online
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Proof that win and they will come.
12-19-2023 02:56 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(12-19-2023 11:56 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  Here are those teams' averages without their highest rated games:

Navy---1.174 million
USF----144k
Tulane---541.8k
Boise St---417.5k
Memphis---385.3k
Rice---96k

You should take away Navy's ND number too. Then we're down to like 750,000 per Nielsen rated game for three games.

Honest question, what's the point of this? An average but not the whole dataset?
12-19-2023 03:06 PM
rollgreenwave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(12-19-2023 03:06 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(12-19-2023 11:56 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  Here are those teams' averages without their highest rated games:

Navy---1.174 million
USF----144k
Tulane---541.8k
Boise St---417.5k
Memphis---385.3k
Rice---96k

You should take away Navy's ND number too. Then we're down to like 750,000 per Nielsen rated game for three games.

Honest question, what's the point of this? An average but not the whole dataset?
Not saying the way they did it is appropriate, but sometimes a single outlier in a dataset influences the whole thing so much that it's a good idea to remove that one value to get a more useful conclusion. So it's not an outlandish idea.
12-19-2023 11:44 PM
Advertisement

hk25 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(12-19-2023 11:44 PM)rollgreenwave Wrote:  

Navy---1.174 million
USF----144k
Tulane---541.8k
Boise St---417.5k
Memphis---385.3k
Rice---96k

Not saying the way they did it is appropriate, but sometimes a single outlier in a dataset influences the whole thing so much that it's a good idea to remove that one value to get a more useful conclusion. So it's not an outlandish idea.

Would be interesting to see the #’s with all P5 opponents games removed. A straight G5 vs G5 comparison.
12-20-2023 06:13 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
A lot has to do whether you are winning and getting your games on ABC or ESPN on Thursday or Friday night when you get more viewers. But also getting big names to come play you at home will get you those slots.
12-20-2023 07:39 AM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators

Navy---1.174 million
USF----144k
Tulane---541.8k
Boise St---417.5k
Memphis---385.3k
Rice---96k

Yup. The point is that huge ratings playing cannon fodder for Alabama and Texas doesn't mean very much because 95% of the viewers aren't watching for USF or Rice.

If you are trying to show who is the bigger draw for TV in the G5 taking out those outliers is the best way to look at it. Navy is a special case due to the Notre Dame and Army games they have every year. They are obviously and impressively the best program in the conference in terms of viewership due to the event games they have.
12-20-2023 08:40 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2023 08:40 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Navy---1.174 million
USF----144k
Tulane---541.8k
Boise St---417.5k
Memphis---385.3k
Rice---96k

Yup. The point is that huge ratings playing cannon fodder for Alabama and Texas doesn't mean very much because 95% of the viewers aren't watching for USF or Rice.

If you are trying to show who is the bigger draw for TV in the G5 taking out those outliers is the best way to look at it. Navy is a special case due to the Notre Dame and Army games they have every year. They are obviously and impressively the best program in the conference in terms of viewership due to the event games they have.

But you can also say the same for everyone else. I mean if you are winning and getting your conference games on ESPN Thursday / Friday or Saturday on ABC your numbers would look better than if your games are on ESPNU or ESPN2 on Saturdays
12-20-2023 09:12 AM
Nameless Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Does anyone have the average numbers for:

USF w/o Alabama
Boise w/o Washington
Rice w/o Texas

?

Just curious, I know some people will claim their numbers are inflated from having those marquee teams play them at home. I would counter by saying kudos to them for being able to even schedule home games against those teams, but I am curious to see just how “inflated” the numbers actually are.
12-20-2023 09:39 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2023 09:39 AM)Nameless Wrote:  Does anyone have the average numbers for:

USF w/o Alabama
Boise w/o Washington
Rice w/o Texas

?

Just curious, I know some people will claim their numbers are inflated from having those marquee teams play them at home. I would counter by saying kudos to them for being able to even schedule home games against those teams, but I am curious to see just how “inflated” the numbers actually are.

Not inflated if many of your other games are on ESPNU.
Teams benefit from having their games on major networks ABC,CBS,NBC or ESPN on prime days Thursday,Friday or prime time on Saturdays.
12-20-2023 09:41 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(12-20-2023 06:13 AM)hk25 Wrote:  Would be interesting to see the #’s with all P5 opponents games removed. A straight G5 vs G5 comparison.

(12-20-2023 08:40 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Navy---1.174 million
USF----144k
Tulane---541.8k
Boise St---417.5k
Memphis---385.3k
Rice---96k

Okay - y'all seem to want to ascertain some esoteric "non-contract-bowl-conference team with the bestest inherent TV attractiveness."
Good luck to you.
In my opinion that is meaningless.

USF's numbers are greater because of Alabama visiting. Navy's numbers are buoyed by Army-Navy (in total viewer #s but not benefitting the conference) and by Notre Dame (which IS a conference game every other year).
Guess what? When the AAC got a billion dollar deal from Disney, it was in part because we were selling Alabama at USF and Notre Dame at Navy and even Boise at Memphis. That's the advantage the AAC and the mwc continue to have over the other three.
Intra-conference games are only 53% of the viewers that the AAC is selling to Disney. And that's okay. Disney is buying the eyeballs, not the t-shirts.
If you are saying "network" or "contract" or "deal", then dismissing home games against contract-bowl-conference teams is wrong.

For the conference and for any discussion of media money, conference controlled inventory viewers is what to look at.
Total viewers -- including the away games -- doesn't mean much for the conference or the contract. But there is some merit in looking at it for the schools. Rice visited Texas. The AD can tell the university President that they got into millions more living rooms AND got paid. Maybe they actually do get some applications, or a donation, they wouldn't because of that temporary association with a non-nerd school. Total viewers are fair to discuss for a school, but it isn't really "brand" it's more like "reach" or like impressions/clicks but not monetized.

You seem to be looking for brand, so why exclude one game or another when talking about it?
Does non-autonomous vs non-autonomous somehow capture something better? I say vehemently no. The Notre Dame game IS part of Navy's Brand. If you have a rivalry or even a couple repeated matchups, say requirements from state legislature for flagships to play in-state schools, that can be part of your brand. Various schools have used "Anyone, anywhere, any time" from Bobby Bowden at Florida State to Pat Hill at Fresno State, so EVEN the away games can be part of the brand. "Giant-killer" can be part a program's brand, and make it more likely that home or away games get the plus up to the better network/timeslot.

And that's the other reason looking at some of the TV numbers but not others for some esoteric inherent attractiveness is off. Way more than school, it's timeslot, timeslot, timeslot.
Year after year, the AAC's top viewership teams are the top performing teams. Be in the NY6 talk or the CFP talk, and you get those ABC and ESPN and Black Friday slots. Cincinnati, Houston, UCF were never a Big Three for viewership because when they were down, they got crap timeslots (or none) and got crap viewer numbers. I could compare Memphis' share of AAC viewers in a year like 2019 to a down year and get two very different answers of how big a draw they are for TV. The value of the AAC has been proven by over half the conference demonstrating they can deliver when called upon - Houston, Temple, Navy, UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulane, throw in UTSA.

And the network isn't looking at a single game's draw or even a single team. The contract is about 40 games on the family of networks, across Thursday/Friday/Saturday and then numbers on ESPN+. Do these teams and their opponents give us a total inventory worth 20 timeslots on ESPN2 or better?

And having said all that, we CAN look at the AAC as head and shoulders over the other non-contract-bowl conferences if you narrow down the aperture.
Four AAC vs AAC games over a million. Only one mwc vs mwc, the CCG. And only one MAC vs MAC, the CCG. For the Sun Belt and CUSA, nothing in what the conference is selling their media partners got over a million, just one paycheck away game each.
12-20-2023 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.