Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G releases 2024 schedule. Lots of Fantastic Weekends.
superdeluxe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
B1G releases 2024 schedule. Lots of Fantastic Weekends.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2023 03:11 PM by superdeluxe.)
11-02-2023 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: B1G releases 2024 schedule. Lots of Fantastic Weekends.
9/21 USC @ Michigan
9/28 Oregon @ UCLA
10/5 Michigan @ Washington
10/5 UCLA @ Penn State
10/12 Ohio State @ Oregon
10/12 Penn State @ USC
11/2 Oregon @ Michigan
11/2 USC @ Washington
11/9 Washington @ Penn State
11/16 UCLA @ Washington
11/23 USC @ UCLA
11/30 Washington @ Oregon

These types of matchups are inherently why the B1G added USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington, and why FOX paid a premium to increase the B1G package. Even with some of the "lesser" brands in the B1G that feature Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and Michigan State carry added weight moving forward against these new schools. Should be an excited era in the B1G.

Looking forward to the future announcement of a B1G Tournament in either Las Vegas or Los Angeles.
11-02-2023 03:53 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-02-2023 03:10 PM)superdeluxe Wrote:  https://x.com/B1Gfootball/status/1720169...08075?s=20

[Image: F99EnckWMAAE1qs?format=jpg&name=large]

Good to see they are keeping the rivalries at the end of the season. The Big 12 has gotten away from that.
11-02-2023 04:20 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
I like the UCLA schedule, but they have a three-week murderers' row stretch starting on September 21st that is going to be challenging.

UCLA 2024 football schedule
Aug. 31 at Hawaii
Sept 7. BYE
Sept. 14 vs. Indiana
Sept. 21 at LSU
Sept. 28 vs. Oregon
Oct. 5 at Penn State

Oct. 12 vs. Minnesota
Oct. 19 at Rutgers
Oct. 26 BYE
Nov. 2 at Nebraska
Nov. 9 vs. Iowa
Nov. 16 at Washington
Nov. 23 vs. USC
Nov. 30 vs. Fresno State
11-02-2023 04:36 PM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
I'm a little surprised they didn't try to put a few more conference games earlier in the season (1st 3-4 weeks), but maybe down the road, they'll be able to incorporate it better in future seasons since this is the 1st season and most teams had their non-conference slate already set.
11-02-2023 04:51 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
The Big Ten schedule includes only one confirmed Friday game in Iowa-Nebraska, which has traditionally taken place the day after Thanksgiving and will occur Nov. 29, 2024. But the Big Ten will fill additional Friday slots, despite some opposition from its coaches because of traditional high school games.

"Technically we can go to a game a week on Fridays," Kenny said. "Whether or not that actually gets activated is all dependent on some of the conversations between us and primarily Fox is our Friday partner. But the the ability to have a game each week on a Friday would be there with this new schedule."

I wonder if there's a price in the media rights contract that is associated with those Friday games? I bet there is.

Hats off to the B1G schedulers. I don't give them many compliments, but I think that they did a great job here.
11-02-2023 05:29 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-02-2023 04:51 PM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  I'm a little surprised they didn't try to put a few more conference games earlier in the season (1st 3-4 weeks), but maybe down the road, they'll be able to incorporate it better in future seasons since this is the 1st season and most teams had their non-conference slate already set.

That was my thought. Probably was because of fixed non-con games.
11-02-2023 05:30 PM
SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
I love it. I am looking forward to playing in our new conference.
11-02-2023 05:37 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...pretty jazzed as a Quack fan East of the Mississippi - perhaps I can make it to a road game in Indiana or Ohio one of these years... I DID get to see Oregon play Miss. St. in StarkVegas about 20 years ago, on a ESPN Thursday special... Quack romped a pretty decent MSU bunch... ...and I was surprised at how many Quack fans were there. My wife's cousin actually was going to MSU at the time so she got us great seats... but I had to 'pose' as a Dawg fan, but I do sorta like them - probably #4 or #5 SEC team I root for... like y'all care about that 03-drunk03-lmfao

ANYway, cool new world of scheduling, but it's more than curious that USC and Oregon aren't scheduled... from the talk during the 'PAC saga', seems like they were not too fond of each other... 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2023 05:48 PM by GreenFreakUAB.)
11-02-2023 05:46 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(11-02-2023 05:46 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...pretty jazzed as a Quack fan East of the Mississippi - perhaps I can make it to a road game in Indiana or Ohio one of these years... I DID get to see Oregon play Miss. St. in StarkVegas about 20 years ago, on a ESPN Thursday special... Quack romped a pretty decent MSU bunch... ...and I was surprised at how many Quack fans were there. My wife's cousin actually was going to MSU at the time so she got us great seats... but I had to 'pose' as a Dawg fan, but I do sorta like them - probably #4 or #5 SEC team I root for... like y'all care about that 03-drunk03-lmfao

ANYway, cool new world of scheduling, but it's more than curious that USC and Oregon aren't scheduled... from the talk during the 'PAC saga', seems like they were not too fond of each other... 05-stirthepot

USC had zero input on inviting Oregon (or not), and I'll bet that they had about the same amount of input on their first schedule. Which isn't a terrible thing, the overall B1G schedule looks like they did a fantastic job, the only thing I'd like to see if I were a B1G fan would be some games starting in weeks 2 and 3. Perhaps they'll manage that down the road as schools adjust their nonconference arrangements.
11-02-2023 06:06 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(11-02-2023 05:29 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  The Big Ten schedule includes only one confirmed Friday game in Iowa-Nebraska, which has traditionally taken place the day after Thanksgiving and will occur Nov. 29, 2024. But the Big Ten will fill additional Friday slots, despite some opposition from its coaches because of traditional high school games.

"Technically we can go to a game a week on Fridays," Kenny said. "Whether or not that actually gets activated is all dependent on some of the conversations between us and primarily Fox is our Friday partner. But the the ability to have a game each week on a Friday would be there with this new schedule."

I wonder if there's a price in the media rights contract that is associated with those Friday games? I bet there is.

Hats off to the B1G schedulers. I don't give them many compliments, but I think that they did a great job here.

Unfortunately, Friday games are almost a certainty. The hope is that most or all of them are on Fox OTA (as they’re losing WWE on Friday nights next year) as opposed to FS1.
11-02-2023 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(11-02-2023 05:46 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...pretty jazzed as a Quack fan East of the Mississippi - perhaps I can make it to a road game in Indiana or Ohio one of these years... I DID get to see Oregon play Miss. St. in StarkVegas about 20 years ago, on a ESPN Thursday special... Quack romped a pretty decent MSU bunch... ...and I was surprised at how many Quack fans were there. My wife's cousin actually was going to MSU at the time so she got us great seats... but I had to 'pose' as a Dawg fan, but I do sorta like them - probably #4 or #5 SEC team I root for... like y'all care about that 03-drunk03-lmfao

It is just the way the scheduling worked out for the 2024 season. USC and Oregon play each other in 2025 & 2026. They also play each other next weekend in Eugene. In the Pac-12, no one is fond of USC.
11-02-2023 06:34 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Big 10 TV Draft:

I'll leave the first weekend unscheduled.

FOX CBS NBC

Aug. 31
Sept. 7 Iowa State at Iowa Colorado at Nebraska Michigan at Texas
Sept. 14 Alabama at Wisconsin Indiana at UCLA Notre Dame at Purdue
Sept. 21 Iowa at Minnesota USC at Michigan Northwestern at Washington
Sept. 28 Minnesota at Michigan Oregon at UCLA Illinois at Penn State
Oct. 5 Iowa at Ohio State UCLA at Penn State Michigan at Washington
Oct. 12 Washington at Iowa? Ohio State at Oregon Penn State at USC
Oct. 19 Michigan at Illinois USC at Maryland UCLA at Rutgers
Oct. 26 Michigan State at Michigan Penn State at Wisconsin Nebraska at Ohio State
Nov. 2 Ohio State at Penn State USC at Washington Oregon at Michigan
Nov. 9 Purdue at Ohio State Iowa at UCLA Washington at Penn State
Nov. 16 Ohio State at Northwestern UCLA at Washington Nebraska at USC
Nov. 23 Penn State at Minnesota Indiana at Ohio State USC at UCLA
Nov. 30 Michigan at Ohio State Notre Dame at USC Washington at Oregon

I tried to keep Pacific teams out of the Big Nooner but couldn't find a decent game for FOX on Oct. 12 otherwise.

Do you think this is fair to the three networks? How would you even it up?

When I put my schedule proposal together, I tried to spread out the big games in the hope of at least one big one each week. Look at October 19, yikes. Schedule your fall wedding for that weekend now!
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2023 07:01 PM by schmolik.)
11-02-2023 06:46 PM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
(11-02-2023 06:46 PM)schmolik Wrote:  Big 10 TV Draft:

FOX CBS NBC

Aug. 31
Oct. 26 Michigan State at Michigan Penn State at Wisconsin Nebraska at Ohio State

I tried to keep Pacific teams out of the Big Nooner but couldn't find a decent game for FOX on Oct. 12 otherwise.

When I put my schedule proposal together, I tried to spread out the big games in the hope of at least one big one each week. Look at October 19, yikes. Schedule your fall wedding for that weekend now!

It’s almost a 100% lock Michigan/Texas is on Fox. One of the “trades” made to get Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC early was to get Michigan/Texas moved up to 2024
11-02-2023 08:30 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

FOX CBS NBC

Aug. 31

I think you’re overvaluing Washington and UCLA a bit compared to schools like Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nebraska and Iowa if we’re going by an “all things equal” basis based on brand names. (Now, obviously if Washington is ranked #4 and Michigan State and Wisconsin look like how they are this season, then Washington is more valuable for that particular season, but my point is that history shows a playoff-contending MSU and Wisconsin teams have drawn ratings in line or maybe even better than a playoff-contending Washington.)

I’d break it down on these tiers based on brand name (once again not taking into account that a school’s performance in a given season have move it up or down for that season):

TIER 1
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
USC
Oregon

TIER 2
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Nebraska
Iowa
Washington
UCLA

TIER 3
Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

Tier 1 is fixed - they don’t ever move down even if they’re a weak performing team in a given year.

Tier 2 is more variable year-to-year - they can move up a tier for a season if they’re a playoff contender or move down a tier if they are particularly bad (e.g. recent Nebraska levels).

Tier 3 requires a team to be a playoff contender to move up a tier for a season. A merely solid team (like last year’s Illinois and Purdue teams) isn’t good enough.

In terms of network desirability

Tier 1 vs. Tier 1 = All Fox/CBS/NBC

Tier 1 vs. Tier 2 = All Fox/CBS/NBC (with maybe very rare exceptions)

Tier 2 vs. Tier 2 = Some Fox/CBS/NBC, some FS1, possible Peacock or BTN depending on when they pick in a given week - this level of matchup is the most dependent on how the Tier 2 teams are performing in a given season

Tier 1 vs. Tier 3 = Some Fox/CBS/NBC, some FS1, some “strategic” time slots (e.g. Friday night games), a high percentage of Peacock games (e.g. big brand to get subscribers but not against opponents that you’d prioritize on OTA), some BTN

Tier 2 vs. Tier 3 = Little to no Fox/CBS/NBC (e.g. need to be desperate like some NBC weeks this year), a lot of FS1 (this is their bread and butter), a high percentage of strategic time slots (this is also the bread and butter Friday night combo), some Peacock, a lot of BTN

Tier 3 vs. Tier 3 = No Fox/CBS/NBC outside of no other choice (see NBC this year again), some FS1, possible Peacock, a LOT of BTN (the vast majority)
11-02-2023 08:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(11-02-2023 04:36 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  I like the UCLA schedule, but they have a three-week murderers' row stretch starting on September 21st that is going to be challenging.

UCLA 2024 football schedule
Aug. 31 at Hawaii
Sept 7. BYE
Sept. 14 vs. Indiana
Sept. 21 at LSU
Sept. 28 vs. Oregon
Oct. 5 at Penn State

Oct. 12 vs. Minnesota
Oct. 19 at Rutgers
Oct. 26 BYE
Nov. 2 at Nebraska
Nov. 9 vs. Iowa
Nov. 16 at Washington
Nov. 23 vs. USC
Nov. 30 vs. Fresno State

That's what the money is for.
11-02-2023 08:38 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

(11-02-2023 08:30 PM)PGEMF Wrote:  

FOX CBS NBC

Aug. 31

It’s almost a 100% lock Michigan/Texas is on Fox. One of the “trades” made to get Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC early was to get Michigan/Texas moved up to 2024

Certainly you could make the argument whether Texas or Alabama is the more desirable team to get. On the other hand there's also the fact that Alabama is playing Wisconsin and Texas is playing Michigan and the fact that even if they let CBS or NBC go first Week 3 Notre Dame at Purdue is a pretty good consolation prize (they probably will make CBS or NBC take Indiana-UCLA so they're not stuck hosting a 9am PT game).

Sept. 7 Texas at Michigan (FOX), Colorado at Nebraska (CBS), Iowa State at Iowa (NBC)
Sept. 14 Notre Dame at Purdue (FOX), Indiana at UCLA (CBS), Alabama at Wisconsin (NBC)

This will likely mean NBC will really want Notre Dame-USC then. I gave NBC Notre Dame-Purdue as the consolation prize for giving Notre Dame-USC to CBS. NBC likely will prioritize Notre Dame, then again CBS and FOX will likely want Notre Dame as well.
11-03-2023 05:18 AM
schmolik Offline

(11-02-2023 08:36 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

FOX CBS NBC

Aug. 31

I think you’re overvaluing Washington and UCLA a bit compared to schools like Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nebraska and Iowa if we’re going by an “all things equal” basis based on brand names. (Now, obviously if Washington is ranked #4 and Michigan State and Wisconsin look like how they are this season, then Washington is more valuable for that particular season, but my point is that history shows a playoff-contending MSU and Wisconsin teams have drawn ratings in line or maybe even better than a playoff-contending Washington.)

I’d break it down on these tiers based on brand name (once again not taking into account that a school’s performance in a given season have move it up or down for that season):

TIER 1
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
USC
Oregon

TIER 2
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Nebraska
Iowa
Washington
UCLA

TIER 3
Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

Tier 1 is fixed - they don’t ever move down even if they’re a weak performing team in a given year.

Tier 2 is more variable year-to-year - they can move up a tier for a season if they’re a playoff contender or move down a tier if they are particularly bad (e.g. recent Nebraska levels).

Tier 3 requires a team to be a playoff contender to move up a tier for a season. A merely solid team (like last year’s Illinois and Purdue teams) isn’t good enough.

Tier 2 vs. Tier 2 = Some Fox/CBS/NBC, some FS1, possible Peacock or BTN depending on when they pick in a given week - this level of matchup is the most dependent on how the Tier 2 teams are performing in a given season

Tier 1 vs. Tier 3 = Some Fox/CBS/NBC, some FS1, some “strategic” time slots (e.g. Friday night games), a high percentage of Peacock games (e.g. big brand to get subscribers but not against opponents that you’d prioritize on OTA), some BTN

Tier 2 vs. Tier 3 = Little to no Fox/CBS/NBC (e.g. need to be desperate like some NBC weeks this year), a lot of FS1 (this is their bread and butter), a high percentage of strategic time slots (this is also the bread and butter Friday night combo), some Peacock, a lot of BTN

Tier 3 vs. Tier 3 = No Fox/CBS/NBC outside of no other choice (see NBC this year again), some FS1, possible Peacock, a LOT of BTN (the vast majority)

Right now I feel the Pacific schools are the shiny new toys the Big Ten will want to show off during the first season. It also helps the case that Washington is undefeated and Oregon's only loss is to Washington while USC and UCLA are in Los Angeles. UCLA is the lesser of the LA schools but showing off the Rose Bowl during the regular season will sure be a selling point, especially in Big Ten country.

It's not helping the legacy Big Ten schools (I'll include Nebraska in the bunch) that they aren't doing as well this year relatively speaking. Iowa is the best of them record wise at 6-2 but get a lot of attention for bad offense and boring play which leads to poor TV ratings, they lost a game 12-10 to Minnesota recently. Michigan State, often a trustworthy team at least competitive with the Big Three in the soon to be retired Big Ten East, is a complete mess. Now they can certainly hire the right coach and be back next year but I wouldn't bet high on them right now.

As for your Tier 2 vs. Tier 1, I have many of them in my OTA TV choices too.
11-03-2023 05:45 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(11-02-2023 08:36 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

FOX CBS NBC

Aug. 31

TIER 1
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
USC
Oregon

TIER 2
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Nebraska
Iowa
Washington
UCLA

TIER 3
Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

If Oregon is tier 1, then Washington should be too. Washington has a considerably larger fan base than the Ducks. Either they are both tier 2, or they are both tier 1.
11-03-2023 06:29 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Not liking the switch of Rutgers Maryland with MSU. MSU is not our rival, although there has been some increased juice in the last couple of years. We just don't have a rival period, but Maryland PSU shouldn't be one either.

Also, looks like ND versus USC will be preserved for rivalry weekend, meaning UCLA will need an opponent. I suppose it works out with the ACC at 17 teams? Then again, who would Cal/Stanford play if one is playing LA? SMU?
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2023 06:59 AM by RUScarlets.)
11-03-2023 06:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.