Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC too tough for its own good?
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
SEC too tough for its own good?
Seems like everyone is decent to good in the SEC, only Vandy and maybe Miss St. wouid be considered bad. With OUT coming in, wins wouid be hard to come by and never a given. I’m not sure how even the SEC champs come out of that with less than 2 losses. It could be bad news if the SEC was trying to get more than 2 in the playoffs every year.

On the other hand, the ACC has or will have a balance between good teams, ok teams and bad teams. Every season the ACC should have at least 2 playoff worthy teams with 3 (appearing to) being closer to normal. Might this be an area where the ACC closes the financial gap a little more?
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 03:29 PM by Garrettabc.)
10-17-2023 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: SEC too tough for its own good?
(10-17-2023 03:27 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Seems like everyone is decent to good in the SEC, only Vandy and maybe Miss St. wouid be considered bad. With OUT coming in, wins wouid be hard to come by and never a given. I’m not sure how even the SEC champs come out of that with less than 2 losses. It could be bad news if the SEC was trying to get more than 2 in the playoffs every year.

On the other hand, the ACC has or will have a balance between good teams, ok teams and bad teams. Every season the ACC should have at least 2 playoff worthy teams with 3 (appearing to) being closer to normal. Might this be an area where the ACC closes the financial gap a little more?

Here's how you make this work:
1) win your early-season OOC games (the ACC did, the SEC did not)
2) get multiple teams ranked in the Top 25
3) play those teams against each other over the next 8 weeks, with easy games mixed in so that they can recover from the occassional loss.
4) use the ranked-on-ranked games to generate hype and tv ratings
5) lather, rinse, repeat.
10-17-2023 08:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(10-17-2023 08:22 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 03:27 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Seems like everyone is decent to good in the SEC, only Vandy and maybe Miss St. wouid be considered bad. With OUT coming in, wins wouid be hard to come by and never a given. I’m not sure how even the SEC champs come out of that with less than 2 losses. It could be bad news if the SEC was trying to get more than 2 in the playoffs every year.

Here's how you make this work:
1) win your early-season OOC games (the ACC did, the SEC did not)
2) get multiple teams ranked in the Top 25
3) play those teams against each other over the next 8 weeks, with easy games mixed in so that they can recover from the occassional loss.
4) use the ranked-on-ranked games to generate hype and tv ratings
5) lather, rinse, repeat.

Seems like the ACC is getting a lot of ABC matchups this year. I figure that's because of what you stated above.
10-19-2023 01:00 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

The best teams in the ACC did not crap the bed OOC, that’s the difference.
10-19-2023 06:09 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Once the newness of conference membership wears off, those big pay checks are going to do little to placate fans who are used to winning games instead of cashing big checks.

I’m not sure you’ll see it before 2036 but I wouldn’t be surprised to start hear rumbling by then
10-19-2023 05:01 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

I can see how it may be a little more likely that top SEC teams will have a hard time winning 10 games, but the expansion of the CFP field leaves plenty of room for 3 loss teams. But what has changed that makes it more likely they will have 3, or even 2, teams ranked in the Top 12? Adding more mid-level teams doesn't do that. And adding OUT isn't going to make it more likely the SEC's OOC record will get worse than it has been.

The ACC will do well to get more than one CFP team in most years. I figure the SEC + B1G will get 8-9 between them most of the time.
10-19-2023 06:25 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(10-19-2023 05:01 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Once the newness of conference membership wears off, those big pay checks are going to do little to placate fans who are used to winning games instead of cashing big checks.

I’m not sure you’ll see it before 2036 but I wouldn’t be surprised to start hear rumbling by then

Once conferences max out, teams will have multiple rewards to provide incentives. If you don't win your conference championship, hey, you can still take home a trophy for winning your division pennant, still get into a postseason of 12+ teams, still take home a trophy for reaching semifinals or finals.

07-coffee3
10-19-2023 06:53 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

(10-19-2023 06:53 PM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(10-19-2023 05:01 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Once the newness of conference membership wears off, those big pay checks are going to do little to placate fans who are used to winning games instead of cashing big checks.

Once conferences max out, teams will have multiple rewards to provide incentives. If you don't win your conference championship, hey, you can still take home a trophy for winning your division pennant, still get into a postseason of 12+ teams, still take home a trophy for reaching semifinals or finals.

07-coffee3

So you go from playing for national titles to playing for some worthless divisional award. How long will that satisfy FSU or Clemson fans?

Reminds me of Coach Calipari telling UK fans it's no longer about winning national championships, but getting players drafted. 03-lmfao
10-19-2023 07:01 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Math tells me...many teams will be very unhappy in 10 years. Not everyone can win 9-12 games consistently like they used to in the smaller and/or weaker conferences.
10-20-2023 06:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2023 06:48 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Math tells me...many teams will be very unhappy in 10 years. Not everyone can win 9-12 games consistently like they used to in the smaller and/or weaker conferences.

That’s why the ACC should not have more than 8 conference games and most teams should not over schedule. Win 4 OOC games, win 4 conference games and win the bowl game. 9 wins would be a successful season for most.
10-20-2023 07:35 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(10-19-2023 07:01 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

07-coffee3

So you go from playing for national titles to playing for some worthless divisional award. How long will that satisfy FSU or Clemson fans?

Reminds me of Coach Calipari telling UK fans it's no longer about winning national championships, but getting players drafted. 03-lmfao

Right.

The NCAA whiffed in the 80’s to form a 1-A playoff modeled after the Big Dance. I imagine we wouldn’t see the movement we have if the playoff was distributing loads of money to the major conferences back then.

My signature says it all.
10-20-2023 07:36 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(10-20-2023 06:48 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Math tells me...many teams will be very unhappy in 10 years. Not everyone can win 9-12 games consistently like they used to in the smaller and/or weaker conferences.

It’s hard to tell. Teams are exchanging wins for money.

The upper echelon (Alabama, Texas, UGA, LSU & Oklahoma) should be fine because they have gobs of resources and brand equity. A few down seasons won’t change the status of these elite programs and the expanded playoff resolves their need for continued exposure. A few well-heeled programs (likely Auburn, UF, Tennessee & Texas A&M) need to adjust expectations towards occasionally making the playoffs. The rest of the conference needs to understand their role…Kentucky can excel in basketball, Arkansas will specialize on the running sports, MSU has baseball, Ole Miss has the Grove, Vandy provides academic cover, etc.
10-20-2023 02:55 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova

07-coffee3

Who's going to have divisions after next year?

(10-20-2023 02:55 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  

It’s hard to tell. Teams are exchanging wins for money.

The upper echelon (Alabama, Texas, UGA, LSU & Oklahoma) should be fine because they have gobs of resources and brand equity. A few down seasons won’t change the status of these elite programs and the expanded playoff resolves their need for continued exposure. A few well-heeled programs (likely Auburn, UF, Tennessee & Texas A&M) need to adjust expectations towards occasionally making the playoffs. The rest of the conference needs to understand their role…Kentucky can excel in basketball, Arkansas will specialize on the running sports, MSU has baseball, Ole Miss has the Grove, Vandy provides academic cover, etc.

You don't follow baseball much do you? Mississippi won the baseball College World Series in 2022, the year after Mississippi State did. Don't think Mississippi has to settle for "the Grove". LSU won this past year.
10-20-2023 03:10 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

The folks in blue to our east are already grumbling -- if their message boards are any indication. It is dawning on them that life is going to be much harder for them than it has been the last few seasons.

I think the Mizzo loss last week, dropping games to Vandy and South Carolina last year, and seeing an undefeated Oklahoma and one-loss Texas getting ready to join the conference has them realizing where they actually stand in the grand scheme of things.

Suddenly, there's not much desire from them AT ALL to add anyone else to their conference.

07-coffee3
10-22-2023 10:13 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(10-19-2023 06:09 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  The best teams in the ACC did not crap the bed OOC, that’s the difference.

We save that for in-conference!

Watch out for Wake!!!
10-22-2023 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.