Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

23/24 Men’s Basketball Preview
Bookmark and Share
RamyEMU Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
23/24 Men’s Basketball Preview
I know this is annoying for most of you since it is still the thick of football season. But we are only 3 weeks out from the Men’s Basketball opener @Butler Nov 6. Thought we can start talking season preview (‘Bovine, I would love to see your rotation/depth chart).

KPJ already gave us a tip on freshman Osonnjik from the Green-White scrimmage. I missed the scrimmage myself, but you can get a clear sense of what KPJ is talking about from the highlight video (Osonnjik is #44 and features prominently).
https://twitter.com/EMU_MBB/status/17128...de=profile

Some other observations of the video:

*3 of the 9 offensive highlights were of assists. I think that would make ‘79 and Superfan very happy.

*Our new 7-foot center #21 Martynov might play a little smaller than his actual height. He loses the opening tip to our 6-8 backup Yusuf Jihad and then gets beat on a post move by 6-8 Legend Geeter. Martynov did have one of those nice assists though. (Obviously can’t really tell where he is at from just a few highlights from a scrimmage, but… we may need to be a little patient with his development).

*So Geeter, Billingsley, and Jihad were all in white- which I believe is usually the backup squad. So I am guessing Martynov and Serven will be starting at this point. Given the highlights however, I would guess the minutes are still up in the air for the frontcourt.

*TyCuff in a white Jersey???? That would shocking to me if my understanding of the green and white teams are correct. Unless he is intended to be the key 6th man.

*Did not notice Lovejoy, Pranger, or Randle in any of the highlight clips.

*In addition Osnojik, McGriff (#3) is another newcomer that featured prominently in the highlights.

*Rice seems to be a lead on the white team- ie a key backup. A lot of guys on this board are high on him. Hoping he can take the next step this year.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 05:57 PM by RamyEMU.)
10-16-2023 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

RE: 23/24 Men’s Basketball Preview
(10-16-2023 05:39 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  I know this is annoying for most of you since it is still the thick of football season. But we are only 3 weeks out from the Men’s Basketball opener @Butler Nov 6. Thought we can start talking season preview (‘Bovine, I would love to see your rotation/depth chart).

KPJ already gave us a tip on freshman Osonnjik from the Green-White scrimmage. I missed the scrimmage myself, but you can get a clear sense of what KPJ is talking about from the highlight video (Osonnjik is #44 and features prominently).

*3 of the 9 offensive highlights were of assists. I think that would make ‘79 and Superfan very happy.

*Our new 7-foot center #21 Martynov might play a little smaller than his actual height. He loses the opening tip to our 6-8 backup Yusuf Jihad and then gets beat on a post move by 6-8 Legend Geeter. Martynov did have one of those nice assists though. (Obviously can’t really tell where he is at from just a few highlights from a scrimmage, but… we may need to be a little patient with his development).

*So Geeter, Billingsley, and Jihad were all in white- which I believe is usually the backup squad. So I am guessing Martynov and Serven will be starting at this point. Given the highlights however, I would guess the minutes are still up in the air for the frontcourt.

*TyCuff in a white Jersey???? That would shocking to me if my understanding of the green and white teams are correct. Unless he is intended to be the key 6th man.

*In addition Osnojik, McGriff (#3) is another newcomer that featured prominently in the highlights.

*Rice seems to be a lead on the white team- ie a key backup. A lot of guys on this board are high on him. Hoping he can take the next step this year.
10-16-2023 06:18 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(10-16-2023 06:18 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 05:39 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  I know this is annoying for most of you since it is still the thick of football season. But we are only 3 weeks out from the Men’s Basketball opener @Butler Nov 6. Thought we can start talking season preview (‘Bovine, I would love to see your rotation/depth chart).

Thanks for the post Ramy!
10-16-2023 06:19 PM
KPJ Online
1st String

Lovejoy was on crutches.
Hopes to return at or near the beginning of the season.
10-16-2023 07:44 PM
KPJ Online
1st String

The white team appeared to be more of the guys who the fans would look at at the “A” team.
10-16-2023 07:45 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(10-16-2023 07:45 PM)KPJ Wrote:  The white team appeared to be more of the guys who the fans would look at at the “A” team.

Thanks so for the clarification! Would make sense regarding TyCuff. But Most of the highlights were of the green team/Osnojik, so… interesting.

A couple questions for you if you don’t mind:
*Did Lovejoy play?
*Who was the “white” starters? I saw G- TyCuff, C- Jihad, who were the rest?
10-16-2023 09:19 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

Probably should wait for a reply from the immensely informative KPJ, but will commence with needless speculation anyway…

White Team:
TyCuff, Rice, Billingsley, Legend, Jihad, and Prakash.
The “A Team” who are also the returning players.

Green Team:
McGriff, Osnojik, Ellerbe, Martynov, and Sernev.
Conversely, the “B Team who are also the incoming players.

Missing Team:
Lovejoy, Pranger, Randle, Wells, and Snyder.
Either did not play or were not in the highlights film.

The green team won and the majority of the highlights belong to the green team. My initial impression was that perhaps roster was upgraded with the new players. But then I reallize if Lovejoy and Pranger were playing, it might have swung things in a different direction. Or maybe it is some combination of those two conclusions.

In any case, I am predicting that we have not improved the frontcourt through the new players. The highlights show: Jihad beating Martynov for the tip, legend beating Martynov with a post move, and Billlingsley blocking Sernev. Improvement in the frontcourt will likely have to come from the returnees individual development or continuation of playing together. Hopefully Martynov and Sernev can develop as the season goes on.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 10:20 PM by RamyEMU.)
10-16-2023 10:11 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(10-16-2023 09:19 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 07:45 PM)KPJ Wrote:  The white team appeared to be more of the guys who the fans would look at at the “A” team.

Thanks so for the clarification! Would make sense regarding TyCuff. But Most of the highlights were of the green team/Osnojik, so… interesting.

*Did Lovejoy play?

KPJ posted that Lovejoy was in crutches and may be out for a while.
10-17-2023 04:27 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(10-17-2023 04:27 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 09:19 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

*Did Lovejoy play?

KPJ posted that Lovejoy was in crutches and may be out for a while.

I missed that post. Thanks for pointing out!
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 05:54 AM by RamyEMU.)
10-17-2023 05:52 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(10-16-2023 07:44 PM)KPJ Wrote:  Lovejoy was on crutches.
Hopes to return at or near the beginning of the season.

Thanks yet again for the info! Hope Lovejoy recovers.
10-17-2023 05:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-16-2023 10:11 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Probably should wait for a reply from the immensely informative KPJ, but will commence with needless speculation anyway…

White Team:

Green Team:

Missing Team:

The green team won and the majority of the highlights belong to the green team. My initial impression was that perhaps roster was upgraded with the new players. But then I reallize if Lovejoy and Pranger were playing, it might have swung things in a different direction. Or maybe it is some combination of those two conclusions.

In any case, I am predicting that we have not improved the frontcourt through the new players. The highlights show: Jihad beating Martynov for the tip, legend beating Martynov with a post move, and Billlingsley blocking Sernev. Improvement in the frontcourt will likely have to come from the returnees individual development or continuation of playing together. Hopefully Martynov and Sernev can develop as the season goes on.

I'm afraid this team could be really bad. Take a bad team and subtract Emoni and Noah

The cupboard is bare. 03-banghead.
10-17-2023 06:22 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2023 06:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 10:11 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Probably should wait for a reply from the immensely informative KPJ, but will commence with needless speculation anyway…

White Team:

Green Team:

Missing Team:

I'm afraid this team could be really bad. Take a bad team and subtract Emoni and Noah

Take a bad team and subtract the guy…that did a lot to make them bad. I bet we are better than we were last year. Several of our players have a chance to improve now that they aren’t watching Emoni heave 27 footers all game.
10-17-2023 07:27 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(10-17-2023 07:27 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 06:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I'm afraid this team could be really bad. Take a bad team and subtract Emoni and Noah

Take a bad team and subtract the guy…that did a lot to make them bad. I bet we are better than we were last year. Several of our players have a chance to improve now that they aren’t watching Emoni heave 27 footers all game.

Sam and I have always been on two opposing factions regarding Emoni Bates. Did Emoni Bates heave 27 footers because his team was bad or was his team bad because Emoni Bates heaved 27 footers?

That said, I fully agree with Sam that there was something unusual if not dysfunctional with Team dynamics last season. And I would wait until this coming season to judge the returning players true capabilities- especially if they can work as a team. Plus, if the scrimmage highlights are at all representative, EMU added an impressive player in Osnojik (which would be completely random stroke of luck). I am not expecting a MAC championship or anything, but nor can I agree to the cupboards are left bare.

The real question is: What happened to the “Sunshine” in Steve?????
10-17-2023 08:02 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

Random comment Jalin Billingsley…

Last year from the scrimmage through at least the first third of the season, he looked like he did not care that he was on a basketball court. Looked like he wasn’t even paying attention and was so slow whenever he was moving. Somewhere in the middle of the season, I started noticing some more hustle and skills defensively. Last year, I commented he was becoming the best defensive front court player on the team (which was NOT saying much).

This years scrimmage, there were a 2 highlights of him: one blocking a shot by Serven, and the other of him very nimbly handling the ball (almost looked like a wing player).

I hope this is an indication he is going to start the season running as they say. Excited/optimistic to see how he performs/develops this year.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 08:14 AM by RamyEMU.)
10-17-2023 08:14 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I think Billingsley and Geeter stand to grow the most from last year. It was essentially Legend’s freshman year, and Billingsley didn’t exactly get much run at Georgetown the year prior. Both were young and inexperienced, and the thing about young players is that they usually get better the more they play.

In a more balanced system (where one or two guys aren’t sucking the air out of the ball anymore), I think both guys could take a decent step forward. If it’s just Acuff taking 20 shots a game, then maybe not. But I think the balance of the roster will be much improved from last season. Quite frankly, it can’t get any worse than it was.
10-17-2023 08:53 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(10-17-2023 08:53 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I think Billingsley and Geeter stand to grow the most from last year. It was essentially Legend’s freshman year, and Billingsley didn’t exactly get much run at Georgetown the year prior. Both were young and inexperienced, and the thing about young players is that they usually get better the more they play.

In a more balanced system (where one or two guys aren’t sucking the air out of the ball anymore), I think both guys could take a decent step forward. If it’s just Acuff taking 20 shots a game, then maybe not. But I think the balance of the roster will be much improved from last season. Quite frankly, it can’t get any worse than it was.

Amen on Billingsley and Geeter. There seems to be a rule of thumb that big men usually take longer to develop than say guards. So productivity/skill as a freshman or sophomore can sometimes be an inaccurate predictor of such as Junior or Senior. Especially with limited/no playing time. Not saying they will develop, just reasonably hoping so.

As far as a more balanced system, I think it is interesting that 3 of the green/incoming team highlights were assists (none of such were shown of the white/returning team highlights). So that kind of mindset will be an improvement as well.
10-17-2023 10:31 AM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(10-17-2023 08:02 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 06:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I'm afraid this team could be really bad. Take a bad team and subtract Emoni and Noah

Sam and I have always been on two opposing factions regarding Emoni Bates. Did Emoni Bates heave 27 footers because his team was bad or was his team bad because Emoni Bates heaved 27 footers?

That said, I fully agree with Sam that there was something unusual if not dysfunctional with Team dynamics last season. And I would wait until this coming season to judge the returning players true capabilities- especially if they can work as a team. Plus, if the scrimmage highlights are at all representative, EMU added an impressive player in Osnojik (which would be completely random stroke of luck). I am not expecting a MAC championship or anything, but nor can I agree to the cupboards are left bare.

Ramy, Emoni heaved bad shots, led the team in technical fouls, sought out Daddy just prior to the KSU game, etc... because the E on his jersey stood for Emoni and not Eastern. He was "programmed" solely to be an NBA player and should have been the G-League last year, instead of Ypsilanti. Sam, once again, is dead in in my opinion.

That said, Sam is right once again when he states the EMU MBB cannot get any worse. I absolutely was transfixed with Noah's ability, but at the end of the day, I kind of felt he was a "poor man's" Ray Lee, a huge talent that would never fulfill his potential for reasons unknown.

I'm excited about the upcoming season. It was so much easier to watch less talented guys like Spottsville, Montero and Morgan bust their butts instead of last years' team.
10-17-2023 06:06 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(10-17-2023 06:06 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 08:02 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

Ramy, Emoni heaved bad shots, led the team in technical fouls, sought out Daddy just prior to the KSU game, etc... because the E on his jersey stood for Emoni and not Eastern. He was "programmed" solely to be an NBA player and should have been the G-League last year, instead of Ypsilanti. Sam, once again, is dead in in my opinion.

That said, Sam is right once again when he states the EMU MBB cannot get any worse. I absolutely was transfixed with Noah's ability, but at the end of the day, I kind of felt he was a "poor man's" Ray Lee, a huge talent that would never fulfill his potential for reasons unknown.

I'm excited about the upcoming season. It was so much easier to watch less talented guys like Spottsville, Montero and Morgan bust their butts instead of last years' team.
I agree with many of the posters points! But, Who's going to score 20 points, and get 6 rebounds every night? Who's going to be Noah Farrakhan on this team? This teams goal is to go 16-15, 17-14! The 1000% percent blame the last two seasons is one person the head coach who has won 18 games in 2 seasons, and lost 44! You can blame Emoni all you want, but it's definitely not his fault! He was an 18 year old kid last season! Bates heaved bad shots is a joke, who was the coach? That was the problem last season......Heath needs to finish above .500 in his 3rd season, or needs to be let go! Murphy was significantly better, and that's saying something! Earl Boykins needs to be our next head coach! 26 seasons since we went dancing! Earl Boykins, Grant Long, either Thomas twins as assistant coaches! Heath needs a miracle this season! The Glory days are long gone......
10-17-2023 09:02 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

My intent was to focus on next season’s prospects. Everyone can post what they want of course- I mean no disrespect, nor am I trying to argue. But debating Emoni Bates is a moot point at this stage.

Unfortunately, we only have one eye witness to the scrimmage. And my absurdly speculative over analysis of the scrimmage highlights. And no other media coverage. So maybe I just started a vacuum for more Emoni Bates discussion...
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 09:48 PM by RamyEMU.)
10-17-2023 09:42 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

I do finally agree with Glory on Coach Heath. This will be an important year in judging his tenure- which has not gone well so far.
10-17-2023 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.