Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I hate analytics football
Bookmark and Share
BDB5yp Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I hate analytics football
Analytics football has turned coaches into robots. Some of the play calls made by Thomas Hammock just pisses me off. You have to take the points given to you when you have the opportunity. Not go for it on 4th down. It’s play calls like that have cost football games.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2023 06:02 PM by BDB5yp.)
10-14-2023 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigChilla Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: I hate analytics football
(10-14-2023 06:00 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  Analytics football has turned coaches into robots. Some of the play calls made by Thomas Hammock just pisses me off. You have to take the points given to you when you have the opportunity. Not go for it on 4th down. It’s play calls like that have cost football games.

I understood it. Play call was awful though. If you’re going for it don’t do dumb ****.
10-14-2023 06:23 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(10-14-2023 06:23 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(10-14-2023 06:00 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  Analytics football has turned coaches into robots. Some of the play calls made by Thomas Hammock just pisses me off. You have to take the points given to you when you have the opportunity. Not go for it on 4th down. It’s play calls like that have cost football games.

I understood it. Play call was awful though. If you’re going for it don’t do dumb ****.

I did not understand it but agree the call was terrible.

But I also don't get that it was "analytics" football. Seemed more of a gut call for Hammock. Although, he obviously trusted his defense which probably gave him the confidence to try to step on their throats there.

Fwiw, if the play is successful, he's probably lauded for being aggressive.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2023 06:42 PM by Big Red.)
10-14-2023 06:41 PM
Red Dog Offline
Special Teams

I get going for it there- try to put them away. Rocky also missed a wide open WR on the play. But hindsight is what it is. Points wouldn’t have done a ton there but i usually tend to lean towards taking the points whenever you can. It worked out! HUGE win today fellas! Let’s keep it rolling next week.

GO HUSKIES
10-14-2023 07:21 PM
Advertisement

Lynchpin Offline
2nd String

Generally I believe analytics (hate that overused and under defined term though) have improved coaching. Certainly made every coach in NFL & College more ‘aggressive’ and mostly rightly so. Back when I was growing up, for example coaches would definitely punt way too much on 4th and short across the 50 to gain 20-30 yards field position.

We wouldn’t have won the MAC championship in 2021 making 90s and early 2000s football decisions.

However, how advanced are ‘analytics’ truly. Do they go down to the granular level of situations & related momentum of failing to convert?
10-14-2023 07:30 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(10-14-2023 07:21 PM)Red Dog Wrote:  I get going for it there- try to put them away. Rocky also missed a wide open WR on the play. But hindsight is what it is. Points wouldn’t have done a ton there but i usually tend to lean towards taking the points whenever you can. It worked out! HUGE win today fellas! Let’s keep it rolling next week.

GO HUSKIES

The FG makes them have to get 2 TDs as opposed to a TD and FG, but getting the TD there makes it a 3 possession game.

So, taking the points there did have benefit but I think Hammock ultimately was betting on his defense and he bet correctly.
10-14-2023 07:31 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Look at the play by play of Oregon/Washington.

Each coach tried to blow the game with 4th down attempts and passing on fg.

You’ll never question Hammock again.
10-14-2023 09:30 PM
Advertisement

randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I thought the play call was awful. Then I saw the replay.

2 guys were open, Rocky didn’t read blitz, didn’t see hot receiver on play.

Give the defense credit for the call .
10-14-2023 09:35 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(10-14-2023 09:35 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  

Did it look like he made up his mind who to throw to pre-snap?
10-14-2023 10:08 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(10-14-2023 10:08 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(10-14-2023 09:35 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  

Did it look like he made up his mind who to throw to pre-snap?

No. It looked like he panicked a bit with the all out blitz and threw it away.
10-14-2023 10:32 PM
Advertisement

NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I was fine with coach going for it there, just my two cents. It was already a two score game and with another field goal it would still be a two score game. A slightly better one of course, but still a two score game. A TD there ends the game. Also, field goals were certainly not gimme’s on that difficult day. Incredible job by Woodill making all of his kicks by the way.
10-14-2023 11:49 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I think there's a big difference though between needing a TD and a FG and needing 2 TDs, when you're getting low on time. It would have been a very short FG at that point, and the kicker had made multiple much longer kicks. And I watched the little flags on top of the goal posts regularly - there wasn't much wind there.

It doesn't really matter if someone got open. The play didn't work because Ohio was blitzing which was probably why they were open - and the same wind that could upset a kick could also upset a pass. The passing game hasn't been that consistent, we already had a couple drops and misfires on passes. I mean, he threw the ball away - why, on 4th down?

I think the analytics needs to mostly consider NIU's plays against Ohio up to that point. Does the statistics from other games really matter? Seems like that would be secondary.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023 12:01 AM by NIU007.)
10-14-2023 11:53 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

I think it gives a weighted number to the “3 scores” vs “2 scores”.

The analytics were correct, what Hammock was doing was going for the win there.

I hate the play call, flood the left…and pray? You had to assume they were going to blitz and not give you a chance to sit and pick them apart for a few yards.

Hammock doesn’t always go off the chart though, which makes me crazy. Either do, or don’t. Follow the chart for full benefits, or throw the chart away.
10-15-2023 08:30 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(10-14-2023 11:49 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  I was fine with coach going for it there, just my two cents. It was already a two score game and with another field goal it would still be a two score game. A slightly better one of course, but still a two score game. A TD there ends the game. Also, field goals were certainly not gimme’s on that difficult day. Incredible job by Woodill making all of his kicks by the way.

Not going with Woodill may have cost us the SIU game. Ñot aure why the staff felt need ro replace Woodill this year as he made a big kick in 21 against CMU.
10-15-2023 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.