Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WKU (4-2) @ Jacksonville State (5-2) - 6:30 pm CT Tuesday on ESPNU
Bookmark and Share
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
WKU (4-2) @ Jacksonville State (5-2) - 6:30 pm CT Tuesday on ESPNU
The Hilltoppers come into Jacksonville looking to solidify their grip on 2nd place in the conference. A loss to the Gamecocks would drop WKU into a tie with NMSU.

Jax State, meanwhile, is coming off their first conference loss of the season, a crushing blow from 1st place Liberty that left no doubt the Gamecocks are still a team in transition.

The Gamecocks are already down a running back (Ron Wiggins, injured earlier this season) and starter Malik Jackson was banged up against the Flames. On the plus side, last year's starter, Anwar Lewis, appears to be regaining his form after an injury which kept him out the first several games of this season.

Jax State also had to dip to its 3rd string QB, Ashton Frye, a redshirt freshman who saw his first collegiate action against Liberty, as co-starters Zion Webb (concussion symptoms) and Logan Smothers (unknown) left the game with injuries. The status of Webb and Smothers is unknown at this time.

Last time JSU and WKU met each other was during the 2003 FCS playoffs, when Jax State under Jack Crowe traveled to Bowling Green in the first round, and left with a 45-7 drubbing at the hands of the Hilltoppers.

The Gamecocks and Hilltoppers have met four other times, all since 1993, with WKU holding a 4-1 advantage. Jax State's only win in the series came in 1996, with a 34-20 victory at home.
10-13-2023 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smith79jordan Online
Bench Warmer

RE: WKU (4-2) @ Jacksonville State (5-2) - 6:30 pm CT Tuesday on ESPNU
May the team and fanbase that actually wants to be in Conference USA win. 04-cheers
10-13-2023 11:32 AM
WKUApollo Online

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(10-13-2023 11:32 AM)smith79jordan Wrote:  May the team and fanbase that actually wants to be in Conference USA win. 04-cheers

Well played04-cheers
10-13-2023 02:12 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
I see Jax. State team that probably lost a little of their edge last week, and their QB's are banged up. Their RB's are banged up. Was a very physical kind of tolling game vs. Liberty. I think WKU wins. Jax State is weaker at pass defense than rush defense, which isn't a great recipe vs. WKU.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2023 10:49 PM by sstaedtler88.)
10-13-2023 10:49 PM
JSUBlazer Away
Water Engineer

I Root For: Chaos
If we have to go with a QB that's less than 100%, we get blown out. Our defense can't stand up to being on the field for 45 minutes.
10-14-2023 07:38 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I think WKU will win comfortably and the spread will be similar to the LU/Jax game.
10-14-2023 07:58 AM
Advertisement

YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
This is the kind of game I expect to be close through the first half but in the end I think WKU is just too much of a complete team and it’ll show as the game goes on. Jax could surprise as they do have that Rich Rod magic and grit but will it be enough?
10-14-2023 08:05 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
Never underestimate how bad Jo...ummm Helton can f' something up. I won't be surprised to see Western come out running the ball and be down 2 tds before it hits him.....

pass the damn ball

On defense if Jax St can hit the long pass it will be open because I expect to see Western press the LOS and play a lot of man to man on the outside. Which means the middle will also be open because the Western safeties will be coming up on run support
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2023 10:16 AM by WKUYG.)
10-14-2023 09:53 AM
JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

(10-14-2023 09:53 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  Never underestimate how bad Jo...ummm Helton can f' something up. I won't be surprised to see Western come out running the ball and be down 2 tds before it hits him.....

pass the damn ball

On defense if Jax St can hit the long pass it will be open because I expect to see Western press the LOS and play a lot of man to man on the outside. Which means the middle will also be open because the Western safeties will be coming up on run support

At this point I don't think you'll have to worry much.
However at times Smothers can be deadly
10-14-2023 07:31 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(10-13-2023 10:49 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  I see Jax. State team that probably lost a little of their edge last week, and their QB's are banged up. Their RB's are banged up. Was a very physical kind of tolling game vs. Liberty. I think WKU wins. Jax State is weaker at pass defense than rush defense, which isn't a great recipe vs. WKU.

I was pulling for Liberty for that very reason. If Jacksonville had beaten Liberty they'd be so jacked up for our game that you'd have to give them the edge. Instead it will be hard for Jacksonville to get to the same level of excitement as last week and we still get Liberty at home. We very much control our own destiny. But after that awful 2nd half against Tech I really have to wonder if we can go the distance.
10-15-2023 09:12 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
(10-15-2023 09:12 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  
(10-13-2023 10:49 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  I see Jax. State team that probably lost a little of their edge last week, and their QB's are banged up. Their RB's are banged up. Was a very physical kind of tolling game vs. Liberty. I think WKU wins. Jax State is weaker at pass defense than rush defense, which isn't a great recipe vs. WKU.

I was pulling for Liberty for that very reason. If Jacksonville had beaten Liberty they'd be so jacked up for our game that you'd have to give them the edge. Instead it will be hard for Jacksonville to get to the same level of excitement as last week and we still get Liberty at home. We very much control our own destiny. But after that awful 2nd half against Tech I really have to wonder if we can go the distance.

WKU shouldnt have lost to troy state.
10-15-2023 09:55 PM
Advertisement

freshtop Online
All American

(10-15-2023 09:55 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  

Troy is good and has a very quick defense. Instead of using the middle of the field and attacking their linebackers in the passing game, we kept going to the edge over and over and it didn't do us any favors. If Helton doesn't pull his head out his ass, teams like Troy are going to cause us problems. Hopefully he learned from the LaTech game that the "prevent" offense is worthless and will learn to keep his foot on the gas.
10-16-2023 09:35 AM
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

(10-16-2023 09:35 AM)freshtop Wrote:  

Troy is good and has a very quick defense. Instead of using the middle of the field and attacking their linebackers in the passing game, we kept going to the edge over and over and it didn't do us any favors. If Helton doesn't pull his head out his ass, teams like Troy are going to cause us problems. Hopefully he learned from the LaTech game that the "prevent" offense is worthless and will learn to keep his foot on the gas.

Feel free to run the prevent just a couple more days. That'll be fine.
10-16-2023 10:20 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

He hasnt learned in 5 years, so why now? Too bad no one has any idea who is actually playing for WKU. Sounded like Donut might be out awhile which is a huge blow for our defense. WKU guards injuries more than nuclear codes. So I guess we will find out maybe pregame on WKU radio who playing or not.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 12:00 PM by WKUFan518.)
10-16-2023 11:59 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(10-16-2023 11:59 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  

He hasnt learned in 5 years, so why now? Too bad no one has any idea who is actually playing for WKU. Sounded like Donut might be out awhile which is a huge blow for our defense. WKU guards injuries more than nuclear codes. So I guess we will find out maybe pregame on WKU radio who playing or not.

Why is it important to know who's out and who's not? Will it change one play in the game by you knowing today, last Thursday, or tomorrow?

Some people have to make nothing into something on every freaking thing.
10-16-2023 12:24 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
(10-16-2023 12:24 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(10-15-2023 09:12 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  I was pulling for Liberty for that very reason. If Jacksonville had beaten Liberty they'd be so jacked up for our game that you'd have to give them the edge. Instead it will be hard for Jacksonville to get to the same level of excitement as last week and we still get Liberty at home. We very much control our own destiny. But after that awful 2nd half against Tech I really have to wonder if we can go the distance.

Why is it important to know who's out and who's not? Will it change one play in the game by you knowing today, last Thursday, or tomorrow?

It has zero importance to fans. It has a ton of importance to the opposition as they are trying to game plan for the team and who is playing.
10-17-2023 08:46 AM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2023 08:46 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(10-15-2023 09:55 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  WKU shouldnt have lost to troy state.

It has zero importance to fans. It has a ton of importance to the opposition as they are trying to game plan for the team and who is playing.

It doesnt? Losing best player on defense is huge for gambling and fanasty football and for fans to know. Huge loss. Fans deserve to know who is in or out. Doesnt have to specific. 75% of the country give timelines on key players being out. Its good for the business of college football for all to at least have an idea. WKU is missing 5 key offensive players and 10 defensive no one has any idea how long out..
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 01:58 PM by WKUFan518.)
10-17-2023 01:56 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2023 01:56 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 08:46 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 09:35 AM)freshtop Wrote:  Troy is good and has a very quick defense. Instead of using the middle of the field and attacking their linebackers in the passing game, we kept going to the edge over and over and it didn't do us any favors. If Helton doesn't pull his head out his ass, teams like Troy are going to cause us problems. Hopefully he learned from the LaTech game that the "prevent" offense is worthless and will learn to keep his foot on the gas.

It doesnt? Losing best player on defense is huge for gambling and fanasty football and for fans to know. Huge loss. Fans deserve to know who is in or out. Doesnt have to specific. 75% of the country give timelines on key players being out. Its good for the business of college football for all to at least have an idea. WKU is missing 5 key offensive players and 10 defensive no one has any idea how long out..

So it has no benefits for Western to release that information. But it does to those betting on the game....

seems more like a ME problem
10-17-2023 02:05 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

Tops score first to take a 7-0 lead with 8:52 left in Q1
10-17-2023 06:52 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

10-0 WKU with 2:00 left in 1st
10-17-2023 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.