UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ranking Top 25 Quarterbacks in College Football After Week 6
uabblazer2012 Online
All American

I Root For: UAB
Ranking Top 25 Quarterbacks in College Football After Week 6
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2023 02:32 PM by uabblazer2012.)
10-11-2023 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
RE: Ranking Top 25 Quarterbacks in College Football After Week 6
(10-11-2023 02:31 PM)uabblazer2012 Wrote:  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1009...ter-week-6

Jacob is #25

Zeno has been very good.

The only knock on him from my standpoint is that when he turns it over, it's almost always a catastrophic, game-changing turnover. He hasn't turned it over a ton, but it's been a recurring issue.

The pick last week against USF in the redzone was BAD. That could've turned the tide of the game. The fumble inside the 1 yard line against Tulane was obviously catastrophic to our chances in that game. He's had multiple near pick sixes. He had an intentional grounding penalty that took us out of field goal range, or go-for-it-on-fourth-down range, against USF, as well.

If he cleans up some of his decision making he could be elite. He makes throws to all levels of the field, is mobile, and usually can be counted on to make the right play.
10-11-2023 03:41 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-11-2023 03:41 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  
(10-11-2023 02:31 PM)uabblazer2012 Wrote:  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1009...ter-week-6

Jacob is #25

Zeno has been very good.

The only knock on him from my standpoint is that when he turns it over, it's almost always a catastrophic, game-changing turnover. He hasn't turned it over a ton, but it's been a recurring issue.

The pick last week against USF in the redzone was BAD. That could've turned the tide of the game. The fumble inside the 1 yard line against Tulane was obviously catastrophic to our chances in that game. He's had multiple near pick sixes. He had an intentional grounding penalty that took us out of field goal range, or go-for-it-on-fourth-down range, against USF, as well.

If he cleans up some of his decision making he could be elite. He makes throws to all levels of the field, is mobile, and usually can be counted on to make the right play.

I agree with all of that. He makes relatively few mistakes, but the mistakes he does make tend to be the type of head scratchingly bad mistakes a much worse QB would make.

Like, i can see a bad QB deciding to dive over the line on the goalline even though the team had never practiced that, then butt fumbling the ball because he had never practiced it, but its not something I would expect a good QB to do. I would expect a bad QB to throw it right to a defender with no receivers in the area, but not a good QB, yet Zeno has done that multiple times and had several sure fire INTs dropped.

In his defense, he has been under pressure pretty consistently whenever we try and get him to do something where the ball is in his hands for more than 2.5 seconds. Still, he makes the mistakes you would expect of a QB that has more INTs than TDs and a 50% completion percentage, yet he's completing 76% of his passes and has 12 TDs to 5 INTs. He probably should have 8 INTs just based on opposing DBs dropping gimmies, but even then, over all he's not playing like the type of QB that would be making the mistakes he sometimes does.
10-11-2023 06:01 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
For the record I don’t think the int Saturday was on him. It was a back shoulder throw but the receiver curled to the field. The back shoulder was the right ball placement.

The fumble at TU was truly bad but he never got the ball cleanly at the snap. In that situation you just hit the dirt and cover it
10-11-2023 06:43 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
What # is Dylan Hopkins?
10-11-2023 07:00 PM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I don't think there are 24 out there better than Zeno. He's put up these numbers in spite of his mediocre OL.
10-11-2023 08:28 PM
kdblazer Offline
All American

(10-11-2023 08:28 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  I don't think there are 24 out there better than Zeno. He's put up these numbers in spite of his mediocre OL.
Yep. I think his interception come in to play when he's trying to throw a catchable ball versus zinging it on in to the receiver.
10-11-2023 10:50 PM
BlazerBlitz Offline
Water Engineer

(10-11-2023 07:00 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  What # is Dylan Hopkins?

Dylan is an exceptionally talented quarterback. Dylan was handicapped at UAB because Bryant Vincent was the Offensive Coordinator. Dylan is now the quarterback at New Mexico and he is still suffering under the same lousy OC.
10-12-2023 01:29 AM
Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

Something I’ve noticed is on nearly every bad INT he does a half pump fake almost as if he knows he’s pushing the boundary’s a little too much. You can take that as a positive or negative. He is self aware and has a rock he can identify and not do, or that he probably knows he shouldn’t but does it anyway. Almost Every time that INT is the sole mistake though
10-12-2023 05:53 AM
Advertisement

UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 01:29 AM)BlazerBlitz Wrote:  

Dylan is an exceptionally talented quarterback. Dylan was handicapped at UAB because Bryant Vincent was the Offensive Coordinator. Dylan is now the quarterback at New Mexico and he is still suffering under the same lousy OC.

Are you referring to the same Bryant Vincent who as OC in his last stint helped guide UAB to a 35-15 record? The same pathetic coaching that resulted in three straight conference championship appearances with two of those being wins. The same horrible coach who’s final appearance as OC was that embarrassing win over a 13th ranked team
10-12-2023 08:10 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(10-11-2023 06:43 PM)biglizard Wrote:  For the record I don’t think the int Saturday was on him. It was a back shoulder throw but the receiver curled to the field. The back shoulder was the right ball placement.

The fumble at TU was truly bad but he never got the ball cleanly at the snap. In that situation you just hit the dirt and cover it

That’s what I said Saturday. That one was on the receiver. Yea the one at Tulane was inexcusable.

I also agree he has had some picks dropped. He has also had some sure first downs and TDs dropped as well by his receivers.

Hey isn’t it nice to having a QB ranked?
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 08:54 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
10-12-2023 08:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
Yes, it is.
10-12-2023 08:37 AM
UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 08:10 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

Are you referring to the same Bryant Vincent who as OC in his last stint helped guide UAB to a 35-15 record? The same pathetic coaching that resulted in three straight conference championship appearances with two of those being wins. The same horrible coach who’s final appearance as OC was that embarrassing win over a 13th ranked team

Was mr.28 points a game responsible for our success or was our defense with a former broyles award nominee responsible for that run?

I’ll put the 2 losses to Liberty and Rice solely on Vincent. That’s at least 4 on him.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 09:52 AM by UABFAN23.)
10-12-2023 09:51 AM
Advertisement

Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
(10-12-2023 09:51 AM)UABFAN23 Wrote:  

Was mr.28 points a game responsible for our success or was our defense with a former broyles award nominee responsible for that run?

I’ll put the 2 losses to Liberty and Rice solely on Vincent. That’s at least 4 on him.

Not to mention, also made living beating up on the UTEPs and Charlottes of the world…
10-12-2023 10:05 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 09:51 AM)UABFAN23 Wrote:  

Power ball control football complements a defense. I’ll take 28 points a game all day every day when it comes with winning seasons and conference championships. Regardless Bill Clark and his style of football is gone. The king is dead long live the king
10-12-2023 10:56 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2

03-lmfao
10-12-2023 11:12 AM
Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

Vincent wasn’t horrible but he did call boring offense. Hate that everything went down the way it did but the offensive scheme was hand the ball the the NFL caliber RB and if we need to throw a bomb to our 1-2 speed WR. If the passing game was working it wouldn’t matter we didn’t adapt well. I agree that overall competition in CUSA wasn’t amazing. I’m thankful for what he did and also thankful we moved on.
10-12-2023 01:34 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
Zeno's 4th in completion % at 75.5, 10th in total yards (1795) and 14th in ypg (299.2).

FYI, Hopkins has completed 55.9% and they're both at 7.7 yds/attempt, so it sounds like Vincent is still primarily using the QB for 'bombs-away.'
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 02:01 PM by BlazerFromMD.)
10-12-2023 01:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.