Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the New TV deal a success?
Bookmark and Share
jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Is the New TV deal a success?
Do you think the new TV deal is a success?

Thoughts?
10-07-2023 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

justjim Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty & Pitt
RE: Is the New TV deal a success?
I'm enjoying the CBSSN and ESPN coverage so far.

I know midweek games are tough but I was at the LU game on Thursday and plan to try and make the one on Tuesday. I enjoy it.

I think overall it's a positive.
10-07-2023 10:18 AM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
The new deal was a success the second Judy put pen to paper.

I don’t know much about the Gas Station TV deal, but it SEEMS widely accepted that it sucked, and sucked bad. We’re playing on ESPN/2/U now along w CBSSN. That’s a win.

Sam and JSU already have the national exposure they’d only get from semifinals runs in the FCS. The leftovers don’t have to play on Facebook and Stadium anymore. CUSA exists… and is back on ESPN.

Everybody won.
10-07-2023 10:22 AM
smith79jordan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Jax State
Major win. My school has 6 games on network TV this fall. As for the conference as a whole, the games are easy to find and aren't competing with a slate of other college football games from bigger conferences. Hopefully, rumors are true and we actually do have a "look in" that will raise our payout.
10-07-2023 10:41 AM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I love it. We should remain on those schedule slots as it gives us a TON of exposure which we wouldn't get on weekends because you would have to subscribe to other avenues. People who have never heard of Cusa are probably now watching us play which is a GREAT deal for us in many ways. Recruits will realize that we have great sports teams and will get interested.
10-07-2023 12:12 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
NO. Notice every single previous poster is a new CUSA member. Yes--the latest CUSA deal was bad--BUT Not the one before that. You folks are used to little or poor media coverage and money.

ESPNU does NOT have good viewership.

If we are going to give up Saturday's and hurt attendance--then at least we should get something for it.

What would make it palatable?

--weeknight games should be on ESPN or ESPN2 with very, very few on ESPNU (which is NOT included on most basic cable)

--same with CBSSportsNet (many folks don't have or won't pay for it)--However a Positive- it Still beats espnU.

--Games should have TWO hour staggered start times---so we are Not competing with ourselves.

--It is a JOKE and a "slap in the face" that A CUSA game was on espnU while they were running a high school game on espn2. Putting our conference game below some sports talk program or a high school game should be embarrassing to the league

--If when KSU comes in next year some schools could have one less weeknight game (?) and play one Saturday game instead--that would help some. This is hurting some fan bases (who were already hurting) as several can Only attend on Saturday.

Conclusion-- Yes, Overall the deal is BETTER than the last one. BUT the OP asked if it is a SUCCESS? IMO no--better but still with many disadvantages--Some serious.

Note- I Realize this is probably the best deal CUSA could get--we had ZERO leverage--after losing NINE teams, etc..

STOP and Think about that--NINE--several new posters continue to not take this into account when looking at CUSA issues and decisions. Examples--overall attitude of "leftover five" toward realignment, media deal, scheduling, etc..
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 01:34 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
10-07-2023 01:18 PM
Advertisement

Doots4Dawgs Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
ESPNU and CBSSports is better than ESPN+.

At least I can watch those on my YoutubeTV.
10-07-2023 01:45 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
First my data may be a little off
Games on linear
G5 v G5 or indepedent not ND
FCS v FCS
no G5 v FCS, or P2 v G5 or FCS, or M3 v G5 or FCS
If teams are in differenct conferences both conferences got a game credit.

Most of these games are on ESPNU, CBSSN or a lesser watch channel.

Thru 6 weeks
CUSA 19
SBC 11
MAC 7
MWC 18
AAC 16
FCS 9
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 02:29 PM by Gemofthehills.)
10-07-2023 02:28 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

The deal is certainly better than what we had before. I agree with TOPSTRAIGHT that giving up Saturdays should be for more than ESPNU and CBSSN. ESPN/2 would be great. Getting the CCGs on CBS Broadcast would be great. CBS really needs to add CBBSN to Paramount+ Premium.
10-07-2023 02:57 PM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
I get the OG CUSA members gripes and POV but really you can’t compare this deal to past deals especially one two or three deals before. This conference was absolutely gutted in the last realignment cycle. There was a good chance it didn’t survive. So with a cobbled together conference with some FCS move ups I think the tv deal is a good as we could have hoped. If we want a better one then it’s on us as a conference to get better and apply leverage in 5 years. For now I think it’s good given the circumstances.
10-07-2023 05:03 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
I agree with others. This is a huge improvement in almost every way. More money, more exposure, easier to access the games, and in some cases, better production.
10-07-2023 05:09 PM
Advertisement

JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(10-07-2023 05:09 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  I agree with others. This is a huge improvement in almost every way. More money, more exposure, easier to access the games, and in some cases, better production.

Meaning the games on cbssn is better than production on ESPN.
10-07-2023 06:40 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Huge improvement but I would like to see our next deal have weekday games on ESPN/ESPN2 with CBSSN having second pick. Other than that I’m good with it.
10-07-2023 06:41 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(10-07-2023 06:40 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  
(10-07-2023 05:09 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  I agree with others. This is a huge improvement in almost every way. More money, more exposure, easier to access the games, and in some cases, better production.

Meaning the games on cbssn is better than production on ESPN.

And Stadium, Facebook, etc.
10-07-2023 06:45 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
(10-07-2023 05:03 PM)YesCubanB Wrote:  I get the OG CUSA members gripes and POV but really you can’t compare this deal to past deals especially one two or three deals before. This conference was absolutely gutted in the last realignment cycle. There was a good chance it didn’t survive. So with a cobbled together conference with some FCS move ups I think the tv deal is a good as we could have hoped. If we want a better one then it’s on us as a conference to get better and apply leverage in 5 years. For now I think it’s good given the circumstances.

Agreed. Don’t care what the last 37 deals looked like. I don’t care what things were like when CUSA had Louisville and Memphis. I’ve been very happy with the weekday games, the coverage and the professionalism. Good stuff. The old school posters/teams can get on board or move out of the way. I don’t see any of them vying for the CFP.
10-07-2023 11:09 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

(10-07-2023 06:41 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  Huge improvement but I would like to see our next deal have weekday games on ESPN/ESPN2 with CBSSN having second pick. Other than that I’m good with it.

I enjoy the CBSSN games over the ESPN games. ESPN would be nice if the game is a concern of the color guy. ESPN2 doesnt get very good ratings but is better than the U

Worse part about the Oct weekdays is baseball playoffs. Bars seem to think people care about baseball and have to be asked to put football on the tube.
10-08-2023 07:03 AM
Advertisement

topper1296 Offline
1st String

I'm know I'm wanting it both ways here but I like the away games during the week so my Saturdays are completely free. However, I don't like the weekday home games because I don't get to tailgate.
10-08-2023 09:55 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(10-08-2023 09:55 AM)topper1296 Wrote:  I'm know I'm wanting it both ways here but I like the away games during the week so my Saturdays are completely free. However, I don't like the weekday home games because I don't get to tailgate.

What sections are the visitors sections at WKU? I am getting tix for a group of us to come down from Shepherdsville to cheer on the Flames to victory. Trying to get tix thru LU, but will go thru WKU ticket office if I nees to.
10-08-2023 09:49 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(10-07-2023 02:28 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  First my data may be a little off
Games on linear
G5 v G5 or indepedent not ND
FCS v FCS
no G5 v FCS, or P2 v G5 or FCS, or M3 v G5 or FCS
If teams are in differenct conferences both conferences got a game credit.

Most of these games are on ESPNU, CBSSN or a lesser watch channel.

Thru 6 weeks
CUSA 19
SBC 11
MAC 7
MWC 18
AAC 16
FCS 9

This website will make it easier for you:

https://www.mattsarzsports.com/Contract/...C-USA/2023

10-08-2023 10:10 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

The TV money will increase from less than $200,000 annually to more than $2 million from Conference USA, according to Overton.

2 million a year is a success in anyones book.
10-08-2023 10:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.