Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Promotion/relegation structure for Pac2 & MWC?
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
Promotion/relegation structure for Pac2 & MWC?
09-19-2023 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
RE: Promotion/relegation structure for Pac2 & MWC?
That would be really, really cool and potentially the only good thing to come out of realignment. So it probably won't happen because we can't have nice things.
09-19-2023 06:58 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I thought this would be a fantasy thread but then I saw it was Ross Dellinger talking about it

You'd need 16 teams to pull it off so each league could have 8 all sports teams and meet the minimum FBS requirements.

Easiest way to do that would be to add NMSU and UTEP plus Hawaii as a full member.

If you can get 16 teams it makes a ton of sense to have an A League and a B League that is flexible.
09-19-2023 07:08 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Not feasible
09-19-2023 07:10 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-19-2023 06:54 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footbal...10955.html

"...While the sides continue to deliberate over options, there may not be a resolution for weeks, until a Washington county court resolves a dispute between the Pac-2 and the other 10 schools over control of the league’s decision-making powers. That includes control over the conference’s liabilities and assets, two important factors in determining the future course of action for the Beavers and Cougars...."
09-19-2023 07:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Lots of stupid ideas.

They need to fire anybody who thinks they should copy soccer scoring. Ban them from working in American universities.

Also, relegation in all sports would simply not work with the NCAA. It would have to be football only. And then the CFP may not buy it.
09-19-2023 07:27 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

Another stupid idea is that SDSU and NDSU would be 15 and 16. You lose credibility bringing up FCS schools from low population states.
09-19-2023 07:29 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
Makes more sense if you bring in some AAC teams.
09-19-2023 08:00 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(09-19-2023 06:54 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Promotion/relegation structure for Pac2 & MWC?

Love this outside the box thinking and think there's real potential to create something better than just another G5 conference
09-19-2023 08:17 PM
UIWElite Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UIW
(09-19-2023 08:17 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(09-19-2023 06:54 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Promotion/relegation structure for Pac2 & MWC?

Love this outside the box thinking and think there's real potential to create something better than just another G5 conference

How would it be better? How could you sell media rights to this thing? 1 year you will have OSU and WSU, but maybe not next year. Mix and match them all you want, this is still 16 teams that aren’t desirable enough for the other 4 conferences.
09-19-2023 08:20 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
People are ignoring the real problem with the proposal - you can't have pro/rel along with a closed system of teams within a specific region. What is needed is an open system where all teams in a single sport are pooled into one collection, divided into divisions. There is no real barrier to entry other than lack of money, support, interest, etc.. The barrier to entry is the worst aspect of closed systems - they artificially inflate prices while entrenching mediocrity in a sport such as they have to impose various manipulations on the competition aspect, such as drafts or lottery picks.

Yes, in an open system there may emerge superteams but these don't always last - players age out, ownership changes, new coaches, etc..

People being used to closed systems is why pro/rel won't happen anytime soon. That, and the stoopid faux nationalism from some fans (no soccer scores, herp derp!).
09-19-2023 08:31 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-19-2023 07:29 PM)bullet Wrote:  Another stupid idea is that SDSU and NDSU would be 15 and 16. You lose credibility bringing up FCS schools from low population states.

Two schools that are threats to beat P5 schools is not a mistake.
09-19-2023 08:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(09-19-2023 07:08 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I thought this would be a fantasy thread but then I saw it was Ross Dellinger talking about it

You'd need 16 teams to pull it off so each league could have 8 all sports teams and meet the minimum FBS requirements.

Easiest way to do that would be to add NMSU and UTEP plus Hawaii as a full member.

If you can get 16 teams it makes a ton of sense to have an A League and a B League that is flexible.

Maybe Gonzaga gets interested in joining to pair with Hawaii FB. They would likely play the top of MWC/PAC-2 double round robin and a limited amount of games against the bottom tier (2-4 games). Probably allows them to maintain their scheduling flexibility in non-conference.

I think UTEP gets a look, but not sure about NMSU. They might go after Texas St. and, if Gonzaga doesn't join, UT-Arlington before NMSU. UC-Davis could be a dark horse if Texas St. stays in the SBC as it would likely allow both tiers a Cali game annually until one moves up or down. My opinion is based on the data presented by D1 360 (jump to 41:28 in the video).
https://youtu.be/tZG8IOwVVA0?si=GfnWUkstwnfpJxLz
09-19-2023 08:48 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(09-19-2023 08:48 PM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  
(09-19-2023 07:08 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I thought this would be a fantasy thread but then I saw it was Ross Dellinger talking about it

Maybe Gonzaga gets interested in joining to pair with Hawaii FB. They would likely play the top of MWC/PAC-2 double round robin and a limited amount of games against the bottom tier (2-4 games). Probably allows them to maintain their scheduling flexibility in non-conference.

I think UTEP gets a look, but not sure about NMSU. They might go after Texas St. and, if Gonzaga doesn't join, UT-Arlington before NMSU. UC-Davis could be a dark horse if Texas St. stays in the SBC as it would likely allow both tiers a Cali game annually until one moves up or down. My opinion is based on the data presented by D1 360 (jump to 41:28 in the video).
https://youtu.be/tZG8IOwVVA0?si=GfnWUkstwnfpJxLz

Gotta be 16 FBS schools to meet the rules of 8 teams per conference. Non FBS schools don't help you count towards the minimum to establish and maintain FBS status
09-19-2023 08:50 PM
NDSUguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
A couple of thoughts...

1. This pro/rel would be for football only. Doesn't make sense to do this really in any other olympic sports.
2. The concept of 16 teams is really only the minimum number. This pro/rel idea could have 18, 20, 24, doesn't really matter. The only thing would be to establish criteria for what makes a school drop to the lower league.
3. The football media deal could be for the entirety of both divisions of the pro/rel football conference. Media entities would be paying a value based on not which schools happened to be in Conference A or B from year to year but the overall value of all teams on the aggregate.
4. Distribution of funds might be weighted towards certain schools that have bigger media markets or fan bases. A smaller school like Wyoming getting promoted might not mean that all of a sudden they get significantly more money (at least not right away)
09-19-2023 08:57 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I would love for Rice to be a part of a league like this. It makes every game count (unless you're at the bottom of the second division in the proposal as Dellenger described it-this isn't an issue in the EFL as there are essentially endless tiers of football clubs).
09-19-2023 09:04 PM
Advertisement

LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
(09-19-2023 08:17 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  

Me too. Way, way more interesting than the G5. Real stakes. All the western schools outside the power conferences would generate a lot more regional interest doing this than in pretending they're involved in a playoff system they'll never actually participate in.

I only wish I could get the Big Sky schools weaseled into this thing.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2023 09:26 PM by LatahCounty.)
09-19-2023 09:16 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
(09-19-2023 08:57 PM)NDSUguy Wrote:  A couple of thoughts...

1. This pro/rel would be for football only. Doesn't make sense to do this really in any other olympic sports.
2. The concept of 16 teams is really only the minimum number. This pro/rel idea could have 18, 20, 24, doesn't really matter. The only thing would be to establish criteria for what makes a school drop to the lower league.
3. The football media deal could be for the entirety of both divisions of the pro/rel football conference. Media entities would be paying a value based on not which schools happened to be in Conference A or B from year to year but the overall value of all teams on the aggregate.
4. Distribution of funds might be weighted towards certain schools that have bigger media markets or fan bases. A smaller school like Wyoming getting promoted might not mean that all of a sudden they get significantly more money (at least not right away)

Corporate media would make sure that there is a difference in value between A and B, just from the perception of it from casual fans alone. Pro/rel and opening up a closed system are intertwined. Opening up the system is the real threat. Just doing pro/rel is simply judging the tallest dwarf.
09-19-2023 09:24 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(09-19-2023 09:04 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I would love for Rice to be a part of a league like this. It makes every game count (unless you're at the bottom of the second division in the proposal as Dellenger described it-this isn't an issue in the EFL as there are essentially endless tiers of football clubs).

Perhaps the PAC2, MWC and AAC all come to some sort of agreement along these lines with a complete merger of all three conferences, two upper divisions one lower division? Very bold but would make things interesting.
09-19-2023 09:30 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(09-19-2023 09:24 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  
(09-19-2023 08:57 PM)NDSUguy Wrote:  A couple of thoughts...

Corporate media would make sure that there is a difference in value between A and B, just from the perception of it from casual fans alone. Pro/rel and opening up a closed system are intertwined. Opening up the system is the real threat. Just doing pro/rel is simply judging the tallest dwarf.
Teams could get a bonus for appearing on linear telecasts, with Conference "A" getting more appearances.
09-19-2023 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.