UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I will go ahead and state the obvious
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I will go ahead and state the obvious
Real, sweeping changes HAVE to be made on the defensive side of the ball. THE SOONER THE BETTER!!! I would be on the phone with David Reeves TODAY. His Jasper team is terrible anyway, let an assistant finish their year out. I'm sure there are other great defensive minds out there. The pass rush has regressed with Nick Gentry leaving. Maybe Dilfer should have spent his $500,000 on a competent DC instead of an army of "quality control" guys. Mort will be fine.........not worried about the offense as long as the OL gets better.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2023 09:34 AM by B'ham Blazer.)
09-17-2023 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: I will go ahead and state the obvious
We'll find out soon how Dilfer's mind works. Will his ego allow him to make changes? Will the entire season look like this? Are we going to have to be clubbed like baby seals for a couple of seasons before the problems are acknowledged and dealt with?

I think that Dilfer can be a successful head coach, but he needs to do some clear eyed analysis and problem solving. He was quickly nominated as the worst hire of the season when he was hired, and the publicity and articles local and national this week are going to be very ugly.

And Mark Ingram's hams need to be sizzling in his executive office chair.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2023 10:12 AM by UAB Band Dad.)
09-17-2023 10:11 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Part of it is that there is a noticeable drop off in talent and experience across our Defense. The leader of our secondary transferred to Bama, our best pass rushing defensive end transferred to South Carolina. We are playing a ton of freshmen who need a year or two in a college strength training program. So thats part of it.

That said... It doesnt explain why Fish McWilliams is suddenly getting blown off the ball this year, or why Mac McWilliams is getting lost in coverage repeatedly when he was pretty much a lock down man corner previously.
09-17-2023 10:20 AM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

(09-17-2023 10:20 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  Part of it is that there is a noticeable drop off in talent and experience across our Defense. The leader of our secondary transferred to Bama, our best pass rushing defensive end transferred to South Carolina. We are playing a ton of freshmen who need a year or two in a college strength training program. So thats part of it.

That said... It doesnt explain why Fish McWilliams is suddenly getting blown off the ball this year, or why Mac McWilliams is getting lost in coverage repeatedly when he was pretty much a lock down man corner previously.

We lost a lot yes, but our defense isn't like our OL which is almost entirely new and young. There are still players on defense that started and played multiple reps last year. Like you said, Fish, Mac, Miller Twins, Swoopes, Bratton, Fairbanks, Penn, Eason, Dempsey those are a ton of returners and some starters. It's just wild that they aren't as aggressive as they have been. Yeah its a new coach and a HS coach at that, but that makes you lose your aggression? They gotta see that his coaching style is not working.
09-17-2023 10:25 AM
Advertisement

BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(09-17-2023 10:25 AM)blazerblazer Wrote:  
(09-17-2023 10:20 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  Part of it is that there is a noticeable drop off in talent and experience across our Defense. The leader of our secondary transferred to Bama, our best pass rushing defensive end transferred to South Carolina. We are playing a ton of freshmen who need a year or two in a college strength training program. So thats part of it.

We lost a lot yes, but our defense isn't like our OL which is almost entirely new and young. There are still players on defense that started and played multiple reps last year. Like you said, Fish, Mac, Miller Twins, Swoopes, Bratton, Fairbanks, Penn, Eason, Dempsey those are a ton of returners and some starters. It's just wild that they aren't as aggressive as they have been. Yeah its a new coach and a HS coach at that, but that makes you lose your aggression? They gotta see that his sensitive catering to Gen Z coaching style is not working.

FIFY
09-17-2023 10:38 AM
UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

While we probably should’ve retained ONLY David Reeves and Blake Shrader from the previous staff, Probably should’ve hired Bryan Ellis as OC, too.

Spot on about Gentry. He was recruiting guys like Wright and Smith.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2023 11:03 AM by UABFAN23.)
09-17-2023 11:01 AM
Ranger1386c Offline
Special Teams

(09-17-2023 10:25 AM)blazerblazer Wrote:  

We lost a lot yes, but our defense isn't like our OL which is almost entirely new and young. There are still players on defense that started and played multiple reps last year. Like you said, Fish, Mac, Miller Twins, Swoopes, Bratton, Fairbanks, Penn, Eason, Dempsey those are a ton of returners and some starters. It's just wild that they aren't as aggressive as they have been. Yeah its a new coach and a HS coach at that, but that makes you lose your aggression? They gotta see that his coaching style is not working.

Yes. This. Exactly. We have returning talent that is not making an impact in this scheme c
09-17-2023 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.