Cleary University Basketball
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Cleary University Basketball
Is now officially brought to you by….
Eastern Michigan University (kinda)

23/24 represents their first year with men’s and women’s basketball.
EMU legend Carl Thomas is the Men’s head coach.
Long time EMU coach Kevin Mondro is the Women’s coach.

Today they announced that….
Grant Long will join Carl Thomas’ staff on the Men’s side.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023 06:31 PM by KPJ.)
09-13-2023 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

RE: Cleary University Basketball
(09-13-2023 09:05 PM)KPJ Wrote:  Is now officially brought to you by….

23/24 represents their first year men’s and women’s basketball.

Grant needs to be on the coaching staff that replaces Heaths staff.
09-14-2023 08:01 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Sounds like the alums including Boykins are getting their coaching resumes beefed up.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023 03:52 AM by emu79.)
09-14-2023 08:56 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(09-14-2023 08:56 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Sounds like the alums including Boykins are getting their coaching resumes needed up.

Sounds like Cleary college has a more impressive coaching staff than we do. 03-lmfao What is going on???
09-14-2023 10:00 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

How on earth is a former NBA great like Grant Long an ASSISTANT coach at Cleary University???? This all seems like a strange scenario! Anyway, thanks for sharing and wishing them the best!
09-14-2023 10:02 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(09-14-2023 10:02 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

How on earth is a former NBA great like Grant Long an ASSISTANT coach at Cleary University???? This all seems like a strange scenario! Anyway, thanks for sharing and wishing them the best!

I assume Carl wants experience as head coach. Mondro needed a steady job. Grant Long needs some college coaching experience. In short you have to start somewhere.
09-15-2023 03:53 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(09-14-2023 10:00 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(09-14-2023 08:56 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Sounds like the alums including Boykins are getting their coaching resumes needed up.

Sounds like Cleary college has a more impressive coaching staff than we do. 03-lmfao What is going on???
Game above needs to have a few choices........Boykins, Thomas, Long, etc.......I wasn't going to where you went....The truth
09-15-2023 04:57 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

So...it NEVER occurred to Heath to ask Grant Long if he was interested in joining his staff? They were former teammates! He clearly would have been interested if he is willing to be an assistant at Cleary! With all due respect, I didn't even know they had a team. Let's bring Grant home next season
09-15-2023 05:33 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

In other Hall of Fame Alumni news....
Charles Thomas has left Duquesne and is now at St. Louis as an Assistant Coach.
09-15-2023 07:26 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2023 05:33 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

So...it NEVER occurred to Heath to ask Grant Long if he was interested in joining his staff? They were former teammates! He clearly would have been interested if he is willing to be an assistant at Cleary! With all due respect, I didn't even know they had a team. Let's bring Grant home next season

Bob - great point and I’m head scratching this one too. A local NBA great who is an alumnus is not on the new EMU staff - LOL big head scratcher.

My feeling is Grant was asked and maybe he felt he did not want to be a part of a scheme-philosophy that wasn’t going to work or possibly his TV analyst job didn’t provide the flexibility that the Cleary job is. By the way, is Grant leaving his lucrative TV analyst job for coaching? I’m sure Grant was making $200-$300k as an analyst??? His salary at Cleary is probably $75k but he doesn’t need the money. Or perhaps Grant sees Prime making millions in the coaching profession and is ready to give it a go….
09-16-2023 07:40 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2023 07:40 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

Bob - great point and I’m head scratching this one too. A local NBA great who is an alumnus is not on the new EMU staff - LOL big head scratcher.

My feeling is Grant was asked and maybe he felt he did not want to be a part of a scheme-philosophy that wasn’t going to work or possibly his TV analyst job didn’t provide the flexibility that the Cleary job is. By the way, is Grant leaving his lucrative TV analyst job for coaching? I’m sure Grant was making $200-$300k as an analyst??? His salary at Cleary is probably $75k but he doesn’t need the money. Or perhaps Grant sees Prime making millions in the coaching profession and is ready to give it a go….
I'd love to see an interview with him and find out what his future plans are. Btw, have we ever had a Grant Long day at the Convo? If not, we need to do something like that. If anyone deserves a statue it is Earl Boykins, Grant Long, and Ben Braun...I'm biased but also Lorenzo Neely. These are transcendent figures in EMU basketball history.
09-16-2023 07:58 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2023 07:58 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

I'd love to see an interview with him and find out what his future plans are. Btw, have we ever had a Grant Long day at the Convo? If not, we need to do something like that. If anyone deserves a statue it is Earl Boykins, Grant Long, and Ben Braun...I'm biased but also Lorenzo Neely. These are transcendent figures in EMU basketball history.

Agree - Grant started it all!! I loved watching him play at Bowen and the Long vs Marlej (sp?) was the best rivalry in the MAC - very much like Bird vs Magic but a smaller scale. Would love hear what Grant is thinking
09-16-2023 08:37 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2023 08:37 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(09-14-2023 10:02 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  How on earth is a former NBA great like Grant Long an ASSISTANT coach at Cleary University???? This all seems like a strange scenario! Anyway, thanks for sharing and wishing them the best!

Agree - Grant started it all!! I loved watching him play at Bowen and the Long vs Marlej (sp?) was the best rivalry in the MAC - very much like Bird vs Magic but a smaller scale. Would love hear what Grant is thinking
I have a good friend who was at CMU at the time. I made the trip to Mt. Pleasant in February '88. Rose Arena was rocking! The students threw rolls of toilet paper upon CMU's first basket, it was nuts. Grant and the boys got the win. Long v Majerle was a heavyweight title bout every game.
09-16-2023 08:53 AM
Advertisement

truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

I have a Grant Long bobblehead on my desk from Grant Long day from years ago.

But just because we've done it once doesn't mean we shouldn't honor the titans of our program again.
09-18-2023 12:55 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Bob, we do an absolutely HORRIBLE job of honoring past accomplishments. The baseball program does, however, a respectable job even with its dump of a stadium. You go into the Gervin, and you see nothing regarding Ben Braun, by far and away the most successful coach at EMU in a revenue sport. Ben, by the way, dumps a whole lot of money into the Sienna Hts program he came from. The 30th anniversary of the 1987 football program was a total joke. Our ONLY MAC championship team was simply introduced much like an advertising sponsor and quickly dismissed. Embarrassing to say the least.

I used to bristle when I saw TJ Lang introduce himself on NFL TV games as being from Birmingham Brother Rice instead of EMU. We all whine that our past stars don't give back to EMU, but what is EMU doing for them?
09-18-2023 05:39 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2023 05:39 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(09-14-2023 10:02 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  How on earth is a former NBA great like Grant Long an ASSISTANT coach at Cleary University???? This all seems like a strange scenario! Anyway, thanks for sharing and wishing them the best!

Bob, we do an absolutely HORRIBLE job of honoring past accomplishments. The baseball program does, however, a respectable job even with its dump of a stadium. You go into the Gervin, and you see nothing regarding Ben Braun, by far and away the most successful coach at EMU in a revenue sport. Ben, by the way, dumps a whole lot of money into the Sienna Hts program he came from. The 30th anniversary of the 1987 football program was a total joke. Our ONLY MAC championship team was simply introduced much like an advertising sponsor and quickly dismissed. Embarrassing to say the least.

I used to bristle when I saw TJ Lang introduce himself on NFL TV games as being from Birmingham Brother Rice instead of EMU. We all whine that our past stars don't give back to EMU, but what is EMU doing for them?

I believe CC has United all past Huron and Eagle players. I routinely see happy birthday or good luck to current NFL players from EMU. Saw CC and his son fly down to visit Maxx and watch a Raiders game. I believe CC definitely tried to integrate past and present players.
09-18-2023 06:20 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Agree. TJ Lang intros stung! You can get away with that if you're a player from Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC, etc. where there are numerous players from those schools in the league, but EMU? No TJ No. He doesn't have much to say about his alma mater on 97.1 either, but I digress...Ironically, we honor the great George Gervin--and I don't want to be controversial, as it is well known, but he transferred to us from Long Beach State and left EMU in disgrace after getting in a fight in the tournament. He is obviously more of a legendary NBA (and ABA) figure and not really an EMU legend.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 06:27 PM by Bob Wickersham.)
09-18-2023 06:24 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2023 06:24 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(09-15-2023 05:33 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  So...it NEVER occurred to Heath to ask Grant Long if he was interested in joining his staff? They were former teammates! He clearly would have been interested if he is willing to be an assistant at Cleary! With all due respect, I didn't even know they had a team. Let's bring Grant home next season

Agree. TJ Lang intros stung! You can get away with that if you're a player from Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC, etc. where there are numerous players from those schools in the league, but EMU? No TJ No. He doesn't have much to say about his alma mater on 97.1 either, but I digress...Ironically, we honor the great George Gervin--and I don't want to be controversial, as it is well known, but he transferred to us from Long Beach State and left EMU in disgrace after getting in a fight in the tournament. He is obviously more of a legendary NBA (and ABA) figure and not really an EMU legend.

LOL - George Gervin is an EMU legend in my book.
09-18-2023 09:32 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2023 09:32 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(09-18-2023 06:24 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(09-16-2023 07:40 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Bob - great point and I’m head scratching this one too. A local NBA great who is an alumnus is not on the new EMU staff - LOL big head scratcher.

LOL - George Gervin is an EMU legend in my book.
Really? Interesting. EMU wasn't even in the MAC when he played for Eastern. What stands out for you regarding Gervin when he wore the EMU uniform? What was his signature moment? He's before my time, his time with the Spurs was kind of before my time too.
09-19-2023 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.