Howard team write up by Howard SI.

https://hubison.com/news/2023/8/29/footb...-2023.aspx
08-31-2023 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ypsitownie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Eastern Michiga
RE: Game Day September 1 Howard
I lived in DC for many years and have a bit of a soft spot for Howard. OT: a writeup on their swim team https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/01/ho...aily-cover

College sports matter, probably even more the further you get away from billion dollar media deals and CFPs
09-01-2023 12:30 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
As many predicted Tanner Knue will wear #2 this season. [/u]
09-01-2023 03:36 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-01-2023 12:30 AM)Ypsitownie Wrote:  I lived in DC for many years and have a bit of a soft spot for Howard. OT: a writeup on their swim team https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/01/ho...aily-cover

College sports matter, probably even more the further you get away from billion dollar media deals and CFPs

O/T: story of daughter randomly drawing the same dorm room at Miami as her mother

Feel good collegiate story. 02-13-banana

College student randomly assigned dorm room her mom lived in 33 years ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/20...hter-dorm/
09-01-2023 04:17 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Finally!! The day is here! I have been looking forward to this season since the day after the Potato Bowl.

I know some are worried about Howard, but I am not. As with any team in the MAC, there are some question marks about this team, but this might be the most talented team we have had, at least in the Creighton era. I also get the sense that this team is very motivated. Motivated by the way they finished the last month of last season, and motivated by the frustration of beng SO close to getting to the MAC title game and coming up short. I don't expect them to come out flat or overlook any team this season. I think you saw some of that two years ago...you won't this year is my bet.

Since Howard is FCS its hard to find too much. I couldn't find a Vegas line, but ESPN's deal has us with a 98.7% chance of winning tonight. Howard went 5-6 last year, they played one FBS team, a BAD South Florida, and got beat 42-20 (that was South Florida's only win). They technically tied for their conference title with North Carolina Central with both teams going 4-1 in conference, but when they played head-to-head NC Central beat them 50-21.

I'm sure there will be some bumps for both teams, as there always is with the first game of a season, but Eastern ends up with the win by at least three touchdowns.
09-01-2023 06:57 AM
Advertisement

cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
Up at 6:30 this morning with pork butts going into the smoker. Pulled pork sandwiches on the menu for the first tailgate of the year. Bittersweet as it marks the last opening game tailgate of Alex's tenure with the team. Let the final countdown begin.
09-01-2023 07:09 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/east...me-preview

One thing I found odd was that they said we have a "very new" team...huh? We have 13 starters back and four guys (Smith, Douglas, Rewolinski, and Paaske) who were all semi-starters. Plus our starting kicker, punter, and kick returner. In the world of NIL and the transfer portal, that is actually a ton coming back to a team in my opinion.
09-01-2023 08:49 AM
masttg Offline
1st String

(09-01-2023 08:49 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/east...me-preview

One thing I found odd was that they said we have a "very new" team...huh? We have 13 starters back and four guys (Smith, Douglas, Rewolinski, and Paaske) who were all semi-starters. Plus our starting kicker, punter, and kick returner. In the world of NIL and the transfer portal, that is actually a ton coming back to a team in my opinion.
You are not wrong--EMU has a surprising amount of stability given staffing and recruiting variables. I think what the writer is seeing is that many units within the team are new. Graduations and transfers of key players mean that both lines are different than last year as are the WR and QB rooms. How will the lines gel? Has Smith taken a step up in passing ability? Can our WR bail out the QB or really sell routes/blocks?

I am excited and I want to see EMU in Detroit.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 11:04 AM by masttg.)
09-01-2023 11:02 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(09-01-2023 11:02 AM)masttg Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 08:49 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/east...me-preview

You are not wrong--EMU has a surprising amount of stability given staffing and recruiting variables. I think what the writer is seeing is that many units within the team are new. Graduations and transfers of key players mean that both lines are different than last year as are the WR and QB rooms. How will the lines gel? Has Smith taken a step up in passing ability? Can our WR bail out the QB or really sell routes/blocks?

For those of you who have followed EMU Football for a long time, when was the last time you anticipated a season-opening game seriously thinking this team had a shot at making it to Detroit in December?
09-01-2023 11:08 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(09-01-2023 11:08 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  

For those of you who have followed EMU Football for a long time, when was the last time you anticipated a season-opening game seriously thinking this team had a shot at making it to Detroit in December?
1988, and 1989 seasons! In 1989 we started out the season 5-0-1........It has literally been that long unfortunately.......Charles Gordon, and Bob Navarro were the best two DB ever at EMU as well! Navarro had 12 interceptions in 1989 alone.......He quite possible led the nation that season......
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 12:11 PM by EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's.)
09-01-2023 12:06 PM
Advertisement

Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

Not really sure where else to put this, but Missouri played their first game last night (beat South Dakota 35-10), and Marcellus Johnson did not start. According to the participation chart he did play, but I'm not sure how much.
09-01-2023 12:43 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(09-01-2023 12:43 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Not really sure where else to put this, but Missouri played their first game last night (beat South Dakota 35-10), and Marcellus Johnson did not start. According to the participation chart he did play, but I'm not sure how much.
Hope the NIL money was worth it. If he had stayed at EMU he would be All-MAC and an NFL prospect.
09-01-2023 12:49 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(09-01-2023 11:08 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  

I wouldnt consider myself a long-time EMU fan (last 10 years) but this roster is not only likeable but really, really talented. When I started as a fan it went from how to get out of the cellar, to how do we get to a bowl game, to how to win a bowl game and now the expectation is to go to a bowl game and how do we get to Ford Field. I truly believe we have a great group of grads and senior guys mixed in with the younger guns. Crazy how anything less than 8 wins would be a disappointment this year. Great time to be an Eagle fan
09-01-2023 01:23 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

We'll be down a couple defensive starters due to injury.
09-01-2023 05:03 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Tailgating lot is full though!
09-01-2023 05:03 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Game Day September 1 Howard
Gomez not dressed.
09-01-2023 05:41 PM
BroncoBen Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos!
So they don't allow anybody on the other side now? I believe it was 1993, when that side was added. It's a good thing the school dished out 13 Million for it.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 05:52 PM by BroncoBen.)
09-01-2023 05:42 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Kline not dressed.
09-01-2023 05:50 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Concessions are still a debacle.
09-01-2023 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.