Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

***Toledo vs. Illinois Week 1***
Bookmark and Share
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
***Toledo vs. Illinois Week 1***
Interesting stuff to come out of camp from Bert Biledilema.

Luke Altmeyer the Ole Miss transfer named starting QB for Toledo over Ball State transfer John Paddock. Paddock sucked eggs vs. UT in 2022, so I was hoping for the ladder... makes sense.

Starting Safety is out for the first few weeks of the season on an already turned over back half of their defense.

Bert also said they're turning to Toledo midway thru this week, but have already done some stuff looking at us, Kansas and Penn State in Camp. With a date in Lawrence Kansas the following Friday, there's definitely a part of me that thinks this game may not be circled on their schedule. We have Texas Southern up next, so everything will be laid out on the field for the Illini.

https://youtu.be/LDBL5PpzwqM
08-21-2023 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
RE: ***Toledo vs. Illinois Week 1***
(08-21-2023 12:27 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Interesting stuff to come out of camp from Bert Biledilema.

Luke Altmeyer the Ole Miss transfer named starting QB for Toledo over Ball State transfer John Paddock. Paddock sucked eggs vs. UT in 2022, so I was hoping for the ladder... makes sense.

Starting Safety is out for the first few weeks of the season on an already turned over back half of their defense.

Bert also said they're turning to Toledo midway thru this week, but have already done some stuff looking at us, Kansas and Penn State in Camp. With a date in Lawrence Kansas the following Friday, there's definitely a part of me that thinks this game may not be circled on their schedule. We have Texas Southern up next, so everything will be laid out on the field for the Illini.

https://youtu.be/LDBL5PpzwqM

Bret's already been burned by Toledo. I'm sure he is not underestimating UT and is conveying that to his staff. They are probably using our preseason rankings as incentive for their players. So both teams will be jacked. I see a very physical game from both teams. He knows Toledo has "players" too. Staffs are realistic.

Go Rockets!
08-22-2023 09:37 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

If their Line is gonna dominate, I'm glad Brown is gone at RB, and Altmeyer will be making his 1st start.

Anyone have an idea of our DL starters? Alexander and Cullpepper and...
08-22-2023 10:58 AM
PrettyGoodRocket Offline
Special Teams

(08-22-2023 10:58 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  If their Line is gonna dominate, I'm glad Brown is gone at RB, and Altmeyer will be making his 1st start.

Likely Taylor and Ragin on the edge? Would make sense as vets, we'll see if Terence Taylor can make it a healthy season, he's a real force when he's out there as a speed rusher.
08-22-2023 12:01 PM
Advertisement

IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(08-22-2023 12:01 PM)PrettyGoodRocket Wrote:  
(08-22-2023 10:58 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  If their Line is gonna dominate, I'm glad Brown is gone at RB, and Altmeyer will be making his 1st start.

Likely Taylor and Ragin on the edge? Would make sense as vets, we'll see if Terence Taylor can make it a healthy season, he's a real force when he's out there as a speed rusher.

Ragin's been in program for 4 years and adds a lot of depth but I think Woliver gets the start. I think Holt and possibly Ford are ahead of Ragin. There's good depth. The depth quality? Holt was a small disappointment last season as I thought he'd get more PT.

We have to shut down the run to win. When we do we win BIG games. It's the same story line in all our big wins. As mentioned by a lot of guys on this board we must successfully replace JH & DJ. That's obviously super tough to do short term. Taylor is a previous starter. ALL MAC type dude. He dominated against ND. If healthy he will shine. Alexander now steps in for DJ. He's a different kind of DT. Has had plenty of PT. Bigger and less burst but maybe more of a shed and tackle DT with less potential for pass disruption and pocket collapse. Not really sure - just projecting. Who am I??? LOLOL.

Ragin is an interesting guy. He played at the very very highest level of FL HS football and dominated. He can play. I've watched the Netflix QB special and he was specifically mentioned as THE Aquinas dude to be aware of on D. He'll get his large share of PT. I wouldn't be surprised if he's ahead of the 2 previously named guys but he may very well be ahead of Ford due to UT experience and physical maturity. It's likely. If he is then UT really has developed depth.

I wonder how deep we are at LB. Bolden is key depth and his injury history is well known. Jones, Ellis, and Ollison have very little game experience. Once we get past Barrow and Gant it get's a little thin at LB. New recruits should be looking at LB depth chart and seeing big PT opportunities. LB is a big concern to me. I feel we're strongest on D at front and back ends. It's a damn good thing Hook and Bauer provide such good run support.

Go Rockets!
08-22-2023 12:48 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-22-2023 12:48 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  

Ragin's been in program for 4 years and adds a lot of depth but I think Woliver gets the start. I think Holt and possibly Ford are ahead of Ragin. There's good depth. The depth quality? Holt was a small disappointment last season as I thought he'd get more PT.

We have to shut down the run to win. When we do we win BIG games. It's the same story line in all our big wins. As mentioned by a lot of guys on this board we must successfully replace JH & DJ. That's obviously super tough to do short term. Taylor is a previous starter. ALL MAC type dude. He dominated against ND. If healthy he will shine. Alexander now steps in for DJ. He's a different kind of DT. Has had plenty of PT. Bigger and less burst but maybe more of a shed and tackle DT with less potential for pass disruption and pocket collapse. Not really sure - just projecting. Who am I??? LOLOL.

Ragin is an interesting guy. He played at the very very highest level of FL HS football and dominated. He can play. I've watched the Netflix QB special and he was specifically mentioned as THE Aquinas dude to be aware of on D. He'll get his large share of PT. I wouldn't be surprised if he's ahead of the 2 previously named guys but he may very well be ahead of Ford due to UT experience and physical maturity. It's likely. If he is then UT really has developed depth.

I wonder how deep we are at LB. Bolden is key depth and his injury history is well known. Jones, Ellis, and Ollison have very little game experience. Once we get past Barrow and Gant it get's a little thin at LB. New recruits should be looking at LB depth chart and seeing big PT opportunities. LB is a big concern to me. I feel we're strongest on D at front and back ends. It's a damn good thing Hook and Bauer provide such good run support.

Go Rockets!

Ford was 235 lbs in HS. Now 275 lbs. Hope he hasn't lost any of that
4.68/40 speed. Top rated commit in Mizzou's 2021 signing class.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2023 01:18 PM by Boca Rocket.)
08-22-2023 01:14 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
I’m guessing Illini win 31-27 or it’s a defensive battle and we come out on top 20-16
08-22-2023 02:34 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2023 01:14 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  7
(08-22-2023 12:48 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  

Go Rockets!

Ford was 235 lbs in HS. Now 275 lbs. Hope he hasn't lost any of that
4.68/40 speed. Top rated commit in Mizzou's 2021 signing class.

Is Ford healthy? In one of the Blade stories a while back, they said he was injured in the fall or spring and "may" be back for the season.

BTW, the media guide is out. No depth chart yet tho.
https://utrockets.com/documents/2023/8/1..._Guide.pdf
08-22-2023 03:55 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2023 02:34 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  I’m guessing Illini win 31-27 or it’s a defensive battle and we come out on top 20-16

They got a monster on their DL.
08-22-2023 04:16 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-22-2023 04:16 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(08-22-2023 02:34 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  I’m guessing Illini win 31-27 or it’s a defensive battle and we come out on top 20-16

They got a monster on their DL.

They got a few monsters up front on D.

As for our DL. Taylor is a great pass rusher when healthy. Alexander is a big dude w experience. Won't disrupt like DJ but should hold his ground and take up space during his rotations. The LB depth is more of a long term issue. Typically, those 1st team LBs play most of the snaps unless they come out on a pass defense package. Bielema likes to run and it's good to know we got solid tacklers at LB and safety to control the big play. If Illinois is content to chip away 4 or 5 yards at a time they may be able to move the ball that way better than us. If they get fancy and make a couple mistakes our d should hold up. We're basically a P6 type defense size and talent wise. I mean you got Penn St, Mizzou, Kentucky and OSU guys in the box along with Taylor who dominated ND blockers. We send DBs to the NFL most every year and have experienced solid players back there. Hook might be my favorite now.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2023 11:07 PM by pono.)
08-22-2023 11:06 PM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

If UT expects to do big things this fall, they must beat Illinois, I don't care if it's by 1 point, or 20 points. Any thing less will be a huge disappointment out of conference play.
08-23-2023 10:19 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-23-2023 10:19 AM)Springboromark Wrote:  If UT expects to do big things this fall, they must beat Illinois, I don't care if it's by 1 point, or 20 points. Any thing less will be a huge disappointment out of conference play.

Stop it
08-23-2023 11:20 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-23-2023 10:19 AM)Springboromark Wrote:  If UT expects to do big things this fall, they must beat Illinois, I don't care if it's by 1 point, or 20 points. Any thing less will be a huge disappointment out of conference play.

Lower pack B10, particularly one with such a large coaching change-over, typically we won't know what we played until the season plays out. We could beat a 2-10 team or lose close to an 8-4 team.

Last year the team just disappeared for parts of a game. If Coach was able to figure if that was chance or for a reason and fix the reason, we should be ahead somewhat of last year.
08-23-2023 12:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.