08-15-2023 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
RE: Bill Baker Retiring
Not good news for me, but the man certainly deserves it. The grind of working weekends and traveling all over the map has to take its toll. He's certainly put in his time. To me, Bill IS the NIU Huskies. My radio will be on for every game this year. I will miss Bill a lot.
08-15-2023 01:20 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Bill Baker and Mark Lindo are the longest tenured pairing in the country……..38 years.

FORTY FOUR years for Bill……job well done.
08-15-2023 01:25 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
That's a hell of a run
08-15-2023 01:34 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Huskie Hall of Fame worthy.
08-15-2023 01:43 PM
WreakHammockOnU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
We will miss hearing about the best places to eat around the MAC
08-15-2023 02:14 PM
Advertisement

HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
Bill "The Voice Of The Huskies" "Goodbye Toledo" Baker is the greatest! I''ll definitely miss him.

I hope he publishes a guide to the best Chinese Restaurants.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2023 02:38 PM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
08-15-2023 02:35 PM
All American

Ran into Sid Simmons in Detroit at one of MAC championship games. Enjoyed talking with him. Bill and Sid were the first announcers I remember with Mark joining a few years later.
08-15-2023 02:41 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Bill deserves every award, honor, and accolade that he gets. The man is a legend. He started broadcasting the Huskies when I was still wetting my pants. Now, he's still announcing, and I'm still wetting my pants. Without a doubt, he's my favorite sports announcer. Maybe not the best of the best, but he's my favorite. I will need to watch Huskie highlights to get my Bill Baker fix. Goodbye, Toledo.......and goodbye, Bill.
08-15-2023 03:00 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(08-15-2023 03:00 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Bill deserves every award, honor, and accolade that he gets. The man is a legend. He started broadcasting the Huskies when I was still wetting my pants. Now, he's still announcing, and I'm still wetting my pants. Without a doubt, he's my favorite sports announcer. Maybe not the best of the best, but he's my favorite. I will need to watch Huskie highlights to get my Bill Baker fix. Goodbye, Toledo.......and goodbye, Bill.

Absolutely.

A Huskie legend. (And a husky legend as well, but that's another story.)
08-15-2023 04:05 PM
All American

(08-15-2023 03:00 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Bill deserves every award, honor, and accolade that he gets. The man is a legend. He started broadcasting the Huskies when I was still wetting my pants. Now, he's still announcing, and I'm still wetting my pants. Without a doubt, he's my favorite sports announcer. Maybe not the best of the best, but he's my favorite. I will need to watch Huskie highlights to get my Bill Baker fix. Goodbye, Toledo.......and goodbye, Bill.

Bill is the best of the best!
08-15-2023 04:14 PM
Advertisement

All American

Bill Baker

Voice of the Huskies Will Step Away Following the 2023 Football Season

DeKALB, Ill. – Bill Baker, the legendary "Voice of the Huskies" who has become synonymous with Northern Illinois University Athletics since becoming NIU's football and basketball radio play-by-play announcer in 1980, will retire following the 2023 football season. The news was announced during NIU Athletics' DeKalb Media Day Tuesday.

"There are only 133 jobs like this one in FBS level football in the entire country," Baker said. "I have had the privilege of knowing, working with and for the absolute finest group of coaches, student athletes, administrators, support staff and fans you could ever hope for. There are no words to describe my love for this place and for the time I have been able to serve as 'the Voice of the Huskies'.

"I have absolutely no idea as to the number of games I've called for NIU," he continued. "Between football, men's and women's basketball, some baseball, softball and even a little soccer, it has to be well into several thousand [games] and that's not counting coaches' shows and emceeing various events and banquets. The Huskies have been the biggest part of my working lifetime."

NIU Vice President and Director of Athletics Sean T. Frazier lauded Baker's professionalism, his passion and most of all, his ability to connect fans to NIU games, teams and student-athletes, through his broadcasts.

"Bill is the ultimate pro and the ultimate Huskie," Frazier said of the NIU Hall of Famer. "Coaches, student-athletes, even athletic directors have come and gone, and Bill has been the one constant over the last 43 years. He has been the familiar voice of the Huskies, bringing to life the greatest games, plays and players in our football and basketball history to NIU fans around the world. It's an amazing legacy and we will celebrate him throughout this football season."

Baker will call his 44th season of Huskie Football in 2023. He has been behind the mic for 507 NIU football games since that initial game between the Huskies and Long Beach State in Anaheim, Calif. on September 5, 1980, missing just one game since that day. His basketball total – including several years when he called both men's and women's games – exceeds 1,200 games.

"When the late [NIU Athletic Director] Dr. Bob Brigham and his assistant, Jerry Ippoliti, hired me in May of 1980, they both emphasized that they were looking for stability and longevity in their broadcast voice," Baker said. "Gentlemen, I think you got your money's worth."

Except for conflicts between football and basketball season, which have become more frequent this century with the success of the Huskie Football team, Baker can remember missing just one game, for the graduation of one of his two daughters in December 2002. His friends and broadcast partners alike know that family is the only thing that tops the Huskies on Baker's priority list.

"My wife, Karen, and I just celebrated our 50th Anniversary and to think I've been with the Huskies, traveling to or through every state in the union with them for nearly all of those years; I never would have been able to do it without her love and total support, as well as that of my two daughters, Kim and Julie," Baker said.

In addition to his play-by-play duties with NIU football and basketball, Baker, who was inducted into the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2009, has served as emcee for that event as well as team banquets, kickoff and tipoff events and more. He has hosted Huskie football and basketball coaches shows on both radio and television, and interviewed head coaches from every NIU sport program, as well as NIU student-athletes as part of those shows. Years ago, his play-by-play duties extended to Huskie baseball, softball – including NIU's 1998 Women's College World Series run – and soccer.

Over the years, Baker has seen – and described – it all. From a 97-yard kickoff return by NIU's Mike Pinkney on the very first play from scrimmage he ever called in 1980, to three NCAA Basketball appearances by the NIU men's team, to the magical 2003 football season and, more recently, to five MAC Championships at Detroit's Ford Field and the Huskies' historic appearance in the 2013 Orange Bowl.

"The old saying is that time flies when you're having fun," Baker said. "Those 44 years sort of snuck up on me and if I could go back, I'd do it all over again. Let's just say that I've never 'worked' a day during my time with the Huskies."

Baker, who is also the media placement coordinator for the Kane County Cougars, was inducted into the media wing of the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame in April 2009. He earned the Illinois High School Association Distinguished Service Award for Broadcasting in 1989.

A U.S. Air Force veteran (1969-73), he returned to his native Chicago from Vietnam to begin a broadcasting career as a reporter, calling thousands of high school games before signing on with NIU.

NIU will honor Baker with an on-field presentation during the home opening football game versus Southern Illinois on September 9. Fans will also have a chance to show their appreciation to Baker later in the season. He will share some of his favorite moments, memories and more on "NIU Weekly," the Huskies YouTube show, throughout the season, and on the WDKB Pre-Game Tailgate show that airs prior to NIU game day broadcasts.

-- NIU --
08-15-2023 04:23 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

Having lived and worked in Ohio for 30+ years it was difficult for me to follow NIU football. The best I could do was look for the scores after the fact and catch very occasional national broadcasts until the advent of the internet and the eventual streaming of NIU's games.

Before ESPN+ I began listening to internet broadcasts and was amazed at the quality of our radio team led by Bill Baker. I like our broadcast team so much that I try my best to synch up the radio broadcast with the ESPN+ video. If I am unable to do that I always listen to the pregame, half time and post game shows on the radio stream.

I will miss Bill Baker, he is someone that can never be replaced. I will never forget his MAC CHAMPS ... MAC CHAMPS call or his GOOD BYE TOLEDO call. Pure NIU passion!
08-15-2023 04:52 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

He was an NIU historian. He will be missed. GOOD BYE TOLEDO!!!!
08-15-2023 05:10 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Greatest call in NIU history. I have listened to this dozens of times.

Irreplaceable, never be another , perhaps at no other school. Someone needs to get ESPN to do a piece on him.

The best. He will be greatly missed by many.

https://youtu.be/Y8EIUok1O1o
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2023 08:51 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
08-15-2023 08:50 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

Honestly he’s a great radio man. Slow to call the play, maybe a bit unclear about what’s going on, but he just straight up had the great vibe.

It felt like college broadcast - an amazing college broadcast. When guys like him are gone it’s incredibly sad. Yeah maybe you will get a cleaner play by play man but it won’t feel the same.
08-15-2023 08:59 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(08-15-2023 08:59 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  Honestly he’s a great radio man. Slow to call the play, maybe a bit unclear about what’s going on, but he just straight up had the great vibe.

It felt like college broadcast - an amazing college broadcast. When guys like him are gone it’s incredibly sad. Yeah maybe you will get a cleaner play by play man but it won’t feel the same.

Yeah, if you’re grading his announcing it wasn’t very good if we are being honest, but he had those Ron santo vibes and he’s been the voice of a generation for NIU.
08-15-2023 09:07 PM
MGMFIN86 Offline
Special Teams

I would look forward to listening to Bill Baker call games and his post game shows. Huskie hall of gamer for sure
08-15-2023 10:06 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
My son and I love hearing Bill on the radio, especially the postgame show after a win. We will miss him.
08-15-2023 10:49 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(08-15-2023 01:20 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Not good news for me, but the man certainly deserves it. The grind of working weekends and traveling all over the map has to take its toll. He's certainly put in his time. To me, Bill IS the NIU Huskies. My radio will be on for every game this year. I will miss Bill a lot.

And the highlight of his travels w.as that he got to go to Toledo every odd year. He loved going to the Five star Toledo Motel 6 next to the backed up sewer.
08-16-2023 03:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.