Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Trump Case Judge Tanya Chutkan Gave Extra ‘Light’ Sentence To Chinese Communist Party
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Trump Case Judge Tanya Chutkan Gave Extra ‘Light’ Sentence To Chinese Communist Party
Quote:Judge Tanya Chutkan, who’s presiding over the prosecution of President Donald Trump for charges related to the Capitol riot, gave a “light sentence” to a convicted Chinese Communist Party spy.

The unearthed leniency demonstrated towards the Chinese intelligence asset comes amidst Chutkan’s notoriety for issuing sentences to January 6th defendants tougher than what the Justice Department requested.

The Associated Press called her the “toughest punisher,” noting that she has “consistently taken the hardest line against Jan. 6 defendants of any judge serving on Washington’s federal trial court.”

Chutkan, a hardline Democrat, was responsible for sentencing Jun Wei Yeo, a Singaporean who recruited U.S. officials to provide classified political and defense information to the Chinese Communist Party.

Yeo pled guilty to operating illegally as a foreign agent, which can bring up to 10 years in prison, even admitting to the court “I am still sympathetic to the Chinese cause. Politically, I do have sympathy. I admit that freely” in 2020.

Between 2015 and 2019, Yeo worked on behalf of Chinese Communist Party intelligence to spot and assess Americans with access to valuable non-public information, especially U.S. military and government employees with high-level security clearances.

“Your operation was designed to weaken the United States for the benefit of China,” Chutkan told Yeo during sentencing, adding:

“The crime that Mr Yeo committed was not a momentary lapse of judgment. I can tell you are a highly educated man and I have no doubt you understood you knew what you were doing.”

Despite this, Chutkan gave what media outlets described at the time as a “relatively light sentence” of 14 months, two months less than the 16-month sentence recommended by federal prosecutors. She even retroactively credited him for 11 months already spent in prison due to his cooperation with U.S. authorities. She even cited the threat of contracting COVID-19 as a rationale for her light sentence.

Link
08-16-2023 03:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Trump Case Judge Tanya Chutkan Gave Extra ‘Light’ Sentence To Chinese Communist Party
Tanya and Fani.

FFS.

Bwahahahahaha

I bet Trump sleeps like a baby
08-16-2023 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Trump Case Judge Tanya Chutkan Gave Extra ‘Light’ Sentence To Chinese Communist Party
"but she's tough on crime!"
08-16-2023 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.