Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Here's how realignment is shaking down.
seurat92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: St Anthony's
Everything is leaning towards a very, very weakened PAC 12. I mean...to the point of disolving. Now, the Big 10 is seriously looking at Wash and OR. Also saw an article they are now interested in the smart schools from Cal and Stan. The Big 12 is aggressively going after 4 others and there are reports everywhere that it's just a matter of time, short time, before they get them. Face it....even if they get 2 and the Big 10 get 2 or any combo thereof.... it's friggin' curtains for the PAC 12. Even if it limps it will be a G5 conf.
SDSU had a decision to make a month ago. They had to except an exit fee twice the amount if they bolted the MWC. They could have refused knowing they were certainly going into the PAC 12.

Now look.

Was a stroke genius NOT to bolt the MWC. They may become the 5th best conf in the land now. Plus....they can start doing some poaching of their own. OR St and Wash St are out there.
Not saying all that bs will happen but....I will say....if the PAC 12 actually loses all those teams....then I think a lot of that bs will happen.
08-03-2023 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

seurat92 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Here's how realignment is shaking down.
In case this hasn't been put out there yet.....
https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2023/08/could...utType=amp
08-03-2023 05:15 PM
Starfox207 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
Glad to be in The American.
08-03-2023 05:35 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
This was posted on the gomeangreen board. I'm not a west coast fan, so it gave me a chuckle.

[Image: img_1_1691084196910.jpg.51e869a36b1f1d8c...463391.jpg]
08-03-2023 06:40 PM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-03-2023 05:01 PM)seurat92 Wrote:  Everything is leaning towards a very, very weakened PAC 12. I mean...to the point of disolving. Now, the Big 10 is seriously looking at Wash and OR. Also saw an article they are now interested in the smart schools from Cal and Stan. The Big 12 is aggressively going after 4 others and there are reports everywhere that it's just a matter of time, short time, before they get them. Face it....even if they get 2 and the Big 10 get 2 or any combo thereof.... it's friggin' curtains for the PAC 12. Even if it limps it will be a G5 conf.
SDSU had a decision to make a month ago. They had to except an exit fee twice the amount if they bolted the MWC. They could have refused knowing they were certainly going into the PAC 12.

Now look.

Was a stroke genius NOT to bolt the MWC. They may become the 5th best conf in the land now. Plus....they can start doing some poaching of their own. OR St and Wash St are out there.
Not saying all that bs will happen but....I will say....if the PAC 12 actually loses all those teams....then I think a lot of that bs will happen.

Does OregonSt and WashSt really help MWC? They were overall pretty weak with the Power 5 moniker and money. Not a lot of recruits in those states. I don't really see how that make MWC better.
08-03-2023 07:01 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Most of these things being said about the PAC today parallel very closely what was being said about the Big East as the majority of the membership bailed to other conferences, only to be *reinforced* by the so-called CUSA Seven.

I was skeptical about the Big East prospects at the time and thought that, especially by the time Tulane, Tulsa, and ECU came on board, that it’s future was dim.

I was wrong then, and now I see a similar path for the PAC. But it’s a pretty narrow gap to survival that will probably require at least one of Stanford and Cal (and ideally both) to remain “on board” at least for a couple years past the current exodus.

The PAC is far from dead, and will carry on in some form, and probably thrive, as long as Stanford and Cal don’t get plucked.
08-03-2023 07:28 PM
Advertisement

MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(08-03-2023 06:40 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  This was posted on the gomeangreen board. I'm not a west coast fan, so it gave me a chuckle.

Missing the two that delivered the actual fatal blows: USC and UCLA.
08-03-2023 07:42 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
(08-03-2023 07:42 PM)MickMack Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 06:40 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  This was posted on the gomeangreen board. I'm not a west coast fan, so it gave me a chuckle.

Missing the two that delivered the actual fatal blows: USC and UCLA.

Technically, Texas and OU started all of this. Which is a new achievement for the Longhorns. They have a history of killing the conferences they join. But now, they have a chance to kill a conference they only thought about joining. Texas is truly the Grim Reaper of college football.
08-03-2023 08:25 PM
seurat92 Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-03-2023 07:28 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Most of these things being said about the PAC today parallel very closely what was being said about the Big East as the majority of the membership bailed to other conferences, only to be *reinforced* by the so-called CUSA Seven.

I was skeptical about the Big East prospects at the time and thought that, especially by the time Tulane, Tulsa, and ECU came on board, that it’s future was dim.

I was wrong then, and now I see a similar path for the PAC. But it’s a pretty narrow gap to survival that will probably require at least one of Stanford and Cal (and ideally both) to remain “on board” at least for a couple years past the current exodus.

The PAC is far from dead, and will carry on in some form, and probably thrive, as long as Stanford and Cal don’t get plucked.
Ok....lets say they stay but the Big 10 gets its 2 and the Big 12 gets its 4. I think that is what is seeming to happen here. Cal and Stanford have only recently been involved. If those 2 stay that will mean 4 teams remain in the PAC 12. There are some good odds on that happening.
I just don't see how they can exist. They would need 6 other teams out there just to have 10 teams.
You say they are far from dead.
I say if that happens, they are pretty close to death.
08-03-2023 08:32 PM
ah59396 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(08-03-2023 07:01 PM)Brick City Pirate Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 05:01 PM)seurat92 Wrote:  Everything is leaning towards a very, very weakened PAC 12. I mean...to the point of disolving. Now, the Big 10 is seriously looking at Wash and OR. Also saw an article they are now interested in the smart schools from Cal and Stan. The Big 12 is aggressively going after 4 others and there are reports everywhere that it's just a matter of time, short time, before they get them. Face it....even if they get 2 and the Big 10 get 2 or any combo thereof.... it's friggin' curtains for the PAC 12. Even if it limps it will be a G5 conf.

Now look.

Does OregonSt and WashSt really help MWC? They were overall pretty weak with the Power 5 moniker and money. Not a lot of recruits in those states. I don't really see how that make MWC better.

I was actually thinking about this earlier. Current PAC12 deal nets Wazzu and OSU and annual payout of about $21m. Assuming they end up in the MWC, that’s a $17m a year haircut.

It’s one thing to already operate on a shoestring budget like many G5 programs do, but we also know how to do more with less. That’s a hell of a spot for those AD’s to be in and a lot of hard decisions ahead.

Facilities, staff, etc will all be impacted. In a short time span those ex-power 5 programs are gonna shed their skin and look just as G5 as we do.
08-03-2023 08:57 PM
seurat92 Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-03-2023 08:57 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 07:01 PM)Brick City Pirate Wrote:  [quote='seurat92' pid='19051825' dateline='1691100108']
Everything is leaning towards a very, very weakened PAC 12. I mean...to the point of disolving. Now, the Big 10 is seriously looking at Wash and OR. Also saw an article they are now interested in the smart schools from Cal and Stan. The Big 12 is aggressively going after 4 others and there are reports everywhere that it's just a matter of time, short time, before they get them. Face it....even if they get 2 and the Big 10 get 2 or any combo thereof.... it's friggin' curtains for the PAC 12. Even if it limps it will be a G5 conf.

Now look.

I was actually thinking about this earlier. Current PAC12 deal nets Wazzu and OSU and annual payout of about $21m. Assuming they end up in the MWC, that’s a $17m a year haircut.

It’s one thing to already operate on a shoestring budget like many G5 programs do, but we also know how to do more with less. That’s a hell of a spot for those AD’s to be in and a lot of hard decisions ahead.

Facilities, staff, etc will all be impacted. In a short time span those ex-power 5 programs are gonna shed their skin and look just as G5 as we do.
[/quote
Was just on the AZ board and they mentioned the Big 10 is waiting for a few more teams from the PAC 12 to go to the Big 12 before they make their move on OR and WS...(reported by 247 it said). That sort of makes sense. The 2 most attractive schools shouldn't be dangling out there. There are meetings everywhere about all this. Wash is meeting as I type, (10:30 PM EST, Thurs). Big 10 had meetings today too. ASU and AZ prez's both met tonight.
S#%# is happening fast.
If there are more than 4 PAC 12 schools standing, I'll be surprised.
2 standing seems more like it.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2023 09:44 PM by seurat92.)
08-03-2023 09:42 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
(08-03-2023 09:42 PM)seurat92 Wrote:  Was just on the AZ board and they mentioned the Big 10 is waiting for a few more teams from the PAC 12 to go to the Big 12 before they make their move on OR and WS...(reported by 247 it said). That sort of makes sense. The 2 most attractive schools shouldn't be dangling out there. There are meetings everywhere about all this. Wash is meeting as I type, (10:30 PM EST, Thurs). Big 10 had meetings today too. ASU and AZ prez's both met tonight.
S#%# is happening fast.
If there are more than 4 PAC 12 schools standing, I'll be surprised.
2 standing seems more like it.

The B1G knows the uglier it gets, the more likely the teams they want will accept a reduced share with minimal resistance.
08-03-2023 09:56 PM
Memphis Yankee Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

The non blue blood league. Not in football.
08-03-2023 10:05 PM
Memphis Yankee Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(08-03-2023 07:28 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Most of these things being said about the PAC today parallel very closely what was being said about the Big East as the majority of the membership bailed to other conferences, only to be *reinforced* by the so-called CUSA Seven.

Are you kidding? It's rats jumping off a sinking ship.

In the end the MWC will merge with the AAC. That conference will be the best of the rest. Then they'll get poached at some point.

Conference realignment is the new sport sponsored by Pfizer on ESPN. "People LOVE this stuff". We've got the best deals in town!!!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2023 10:14 PM by Memphis Yankee.)
08-03-2023 10:12 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(08-03-2023 05:35 PM)Starfox207 Wrote:  Glad to be in The American.

Long live The American. Our conference.
08-04-2023 12:44 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

Stanford, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State will be left. I hope no one joins. Agree that the MWC could be the biggest winner, but The American is still a better conference.
08-04-2023 12:47 AM
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

(08-03-2023 07:01 PM)Brick City Pirate Wrote:  

Now look.

OSU and WSU are a good fit culturally. Don't they have good basketball? The optics of pulling in a couple power schools reflects favorably on the MWC.
08-04-2023 01:01 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
OSU went to the Elite 8 in 2021, but that was only the 2nd time they made the tournament since 1990. They also aren't far removed from winning like a total of 4 games in a whole season.
08-04-2023 01:04 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2023 01:04 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  OSU went to the Elite 8 in 2021, but that was only the 2nd time they made the tournament since 1990. They also aren't far removed from winning like a total of 4 games in a whole season.

The MWC will have to be aggressive to keep the PAC from trying to reform. The new commissioner should try to ask all four. MWC members need to stand together firm, but will they?
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2023 01:10 AM by Ourland.)
08-04-2023 01:09 AM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(08-04-2023 01:09 AM)Ourland Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 01:04 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  OSU went to the Elite 8 in 2021, but that was only the 2nd time they made the tournament since 1990. They also aren't far removed from winning like a total of 4 games in a whole season.

The MWC will have to be aggressive to keep the PAC from trying to reform. The new commissioner should try to ask all four. MWC members need to stand together firm, but will they?

MWC has expensive buy-outs. The league they are going to will offer how much per team? PAC owes $50 million to Comcast. Their finances are terrible. MWC should just sit back and buy the PAC name when it goes up for sale in bankruptcy meetings.
08-04-2023 02:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.