Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let’s Get Ready For Football!
Bookmark and Share
BigChilla Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Season is coming up quick, camp starts soon, and it’s time to focus up!

Anyone care to venture a guess on the 2-Deeps? Always some surprises, but I gotta imagine we can do better than the articles that have a kid not even on the roster as a starter at LB!

Anyone have a sleeper they want to keep an eye on? It’s hard to have a sleeper on such a veteran team but there is always 1 or 2 who pop up on the 2-Deeps and play well.
07-28-2023 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Let’s Get Ready For Football!
They have got to get some pressure on the QB from the front 4. Omalley can do that very well from the tackle spot. Ester can help from the other tackle. Thomas has almost no rush from his end spot (2 career sacks). So I really want to see Davis, Williams or even Gumbs emerge at that other end spot.
07-28-2023 09:27 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(07-28-2023 09:27 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  They have got to get some pressure on the QB from the front 4. Omalley can do that very well from the tackle spot. Ester can help from the other tackle. Thomas has almost no rush from his end spot (2 career sacks). So I really want to see Davis, Williams or even Gumbs emerge at that other end spot.

Yeah Thomas is what he is. Maybe the light turns on? Maybe not? He doesn’t get sacks, I don’t think the defense has great rush from anyone. Blitz packages were the only things that worked.

O’Malley is probably the best rusher on the line. I have hopes for the transfers…or scheme…or something.

I’d like to show more 5 men fronts, but at the same time less dropping out of them. A muddle is great, but if your players were a step slow or didn’t know where to go it just looked like a mess, and usually turned out that way.
07-28-2023 10:59 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

Things I am excited about:

QB depth - I think that group will be fine. If rocky goes down I don’t think anything actually sinks this year. We go 3 or 4 deep that I feel “fine” about.

RB depth - even with everyone leaving we have 2 top tier backs and the other guys look good to me as well, just unproven.

TE - we have a ton. Who plays? Who knows? Interested to see this depth chart.

Things that worry me:

Cornerback - I think we have 8 on roster. When you run 3 out there a bunch…as should happen in todays college football…you are 1 injury away from playing CB4, and 2 away from CB5 … out of 8. I do really like the top corners this year.

Safety - Brown, isn’t fast. Does this defense actually have enough speed to cover for the type of Safety he is? His style of play works on a defense who can run, but if they are the same plodders as last year your safeties have to be fast.
07-28-2023 11:07 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2023 11:07 AM)BigChilla Wrote:  Things I am excited about:

QB depth - I think that group will be fine. If rocky goes down I don’t think anything actually sinks this year. We go 3 or 4 deep that I feel “fine” about.

RB depth - even with everyone leaving we have 2 top tier backs and the other guys look good to me as well, just unproven.

Things that worry me:

Cornerback - I think we have 8 on roster. When you run 3 out there a bunch…as should happen in todays college football…you are 1 injury away from playing CB4, and 2 away from CB5 … out of 8. I do really like the top corners this year.

Safety - Brown, isn’t fast. Does this defense actually have enough speed to cover for the type of Safety he is? His style of play works on a defense who can run, but if they are the same plodders as last year your safeties have to be fast.

TE has 13 roster spots! Can someone supplant Joiner as a receiving threat?
07-28-2023 11:17 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(07-28-2023 11:17 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(07-28-2023 11:07 AM)BigChilla Wrote:  Things I am excited about:

Things that worry me:

TE has 13 roster spots! Can someone supplant Joiner as a receiving threat?

Should be a fun group to follow. If you look at what Eidsness did with TE in his career at SD - Dallas goedert is a great example - he can draw up plays to feed those guys, especially in 2 TE sets.
07-28-2023 12:32 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
They will find a receiver within those TEs. Huskies want to play and utilize the TE more than they have. They cost us a game or 2 last year with key
drops.
07-28-2023 04:53 PM
M4l4z4n Offline
Water Engineer

QB - Rocky - Creamascoli - Hampton/Kidd
RB - Brown - Williams - Nash - Lynch/Flowers
3rd down - Dozier - Poe
FB - Lampe
WR - Rudolph - Travis - Patterson - Pipkin - Johnson/Elmore
SL - Rutkiewicz - Dozier - Brueckner/Bragg
TE InL- Joiner - Tewes - Patrick
TE Move - Barnes - Ozoh - Carter

LT - Buss - Malcore/Medlock
LG - Champe - Lippe/Hoth
C - Nygra - Curry
RG - Big-Z - Pitcel/Hoth
RT - Potter - Malcore/Medlock

RE - Oppong - Sanders
LE - Thomas - Davis/Williams
DT - Ester - Taylor - Haberman - O'Malley - Waskow/Gill-Howard
MLB - Artis - King - Gassway/Urwiler
Will - Jackson - Gassway - Dophin
H/Sam - Dolphin - Hansen - Rattin
CB - Dabney - Amegatcher - Byrd - Cobb - Prophete
FS - Jammeh - Banner/McGarrell
SS - Lafayette/Brown - Hansen - Frye - Valcarecel

K - Woodil/Seibert
P - Foley

OK hear me out, O will be many TEs and WRs in constant rotation and formations. I'd expect to see the bigger guys out wide and seeing Rudolph in motion or in the slot to work over the middle with all the TEs.
I think we will see less(if not any) 6 OL formations; with a few big transfer TEs they want to use them, we could see it last year but didn't have the size/horses to do it.
I think Brown will finally be the full bell cow back. And spells of other power guys with a change of pace or 3rd down backs to keep the D out of stacking the box.

D line will be 4 down, traditional 4-3; Huskie will be for run downs and heavy personnel. Brought in two big run stopping and chase LB in Artis and Jackson. They're gonna play. The LB was not good enough last year. honeslty none of the tackling was, hence why I think we saw a ton of veteran transfers. Will live in 4-2-5 with 2 CB and 3 S, hence the Brown/Lafayette completely interchangeable for matchups and Jammeh/Banner/McGarrell over the top for speed and single high. I think the two transfer CB will start, this staff has shown that they want bigger longer DBs. I'm very curious to see if they run more of a press bail cover 3, with Brown and Lafayette buzzing coverage. Or will they shift to a tampa 2 look with two CB pressing and covering flats to set the edge (again with the bigger sizes) and more Safeties for covering the middle of the field while the LB fill holes and make tackles for short gain, or dare I say for a loss!
07-28-2023 05:31 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

I like it, I would change:

Hampton is your back up QB. Flowers is your #3 RB. At WR you’re right, it’s going to be a rotation. I bet your “starters” are Rudolph - rut - Patterson. But a bunch should play.

On defense Oppong probably doesn’t start - but he’s a great run down DE. If Artis is healthy I bet he plays, and I agree the starting “3” backers are going to be Dolphin - Jackson - Artis (if healthy) in some combo. If he isn’t healthy I am betting that we go back to the huskie trash lineup.

At safety Gilbert is going to play, at least some.

I see 3 corners on the field, Byrd - Dabney - Amegatcher.

At least there is a good group of personnel for us to talk about what the possible options are. Last year zero depth anywhere on D - especially LB.
07-28-2023 06:21 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2023 05:31 PM)M4l4z4n Wrote:  QB - Rocky - Creamascoli - Hampton/Kidd
3rd down - Dozier - Poe
FB - Lampe

LG - Champe - Lippe/Hoth
C - Nygra - Curry
RG - Big-Z - Pitcel/Hoth

RE - Oppong - Sanders

K - Woodil/Seibert
P - Foley

OK hear me out, O will be many TEs and WRs in constant rotation and formations. I'd expect to see the bigger guys out wide and seeing Rudolph in motion or in the slot to work over the middle with all the TEs.
I think we will see less(if not any) 6 OL formations; with a few big transfer TEs they want to use them, we could see it last year but didn't have the size/horses to do it.
I think Brown will finally be the full bell cow back. And spells of other power guys with a change of pace or 3rd down backs to keep the D out of stacking the box.

D line will be 4 down, traditional 4-3; Huskie will be for run downs and heavy personnel. Brought in two big run stopping and chase LB in Artis and Jackson. They're gonna play. The LB was not good enough last year. honeslty none of the tackling was, hence why I think we saw a ton of veteran transfers. Will live in 4-2-5 with 2 CB and 3 S, hence the Brown/Lafayette completely interchangeable for matchups and Jammeh/Banner/McGarrell over the top for speed and single high. I think the two transfer CB will start, this staff has shown that they want bigger longer DBs. I'm very curious to see if they run more of a press bail cover 3, with Brown and Lafayette buzzing coverage. Or will they shift to a tampa 2 look with two CB pressing and covering flats to set the edge (again with the bigger sizes) and more Safeties for covering the middle of the field while the LB fill holes and make tackles for short gain, or dare I say for a loss!

Points for creativity!! But I hope you are wrong on some of those starter predictions.

***side note: Just noticed Grayson Barnes is now listed at WR***
07-28-2023 06:28 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(07-28-2023 06:28 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
3rd down - Dozier - Poe
FB - Lampe

LG - Champe - Lippe/Hoth
C - Nygra - Curry
RG - Big-Z - Pitcel/Hoth

RE - Oppong - Sanders

K - Woodil/Seibert
P - Foley

Points for creativity!! But I hope you are wrong on some of those starter predictions.

At 6’5” 215lbs or so he wasn’t going to be much of a TE anyway - in the traditional sense. He’s a pass catcher, and a very useful weapon for this team.
07-29-2023 07:17 AM
Advertisement

Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2023 07:17 AM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(07-28-2023 06:28 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Points for creativity!! But I hope you are wrong on some of those starter predictions.

At 6’5” 215lbs or so he wasn’t going to be much of a TE anyway - in the traditional sense. He’s a pass catcher, and a very useful weapon for this team.

Hello Red zone! I always was confused how this kid was the #1 JuCo TE in the country at 215lbs. But I am anxious to see his level of athleticism. There's two 6'5", one 6'4", two 6'3"and three 6'2" WR's on the roster now.

#3 WR and DE hold the biggest potential for an impact player. Those 2 positions are the one's I'll be watching closest. LB crew is looking to be very solid. Not sure if there's a breakout type player in that group. Corner's hope to be adequate and safeties just don't mess up. Fingers crossed Jammeh really makes a jump in progress.
07-29-2023 11:34 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
I have no expectations for any of these guys. My high hopes and expectations last year got burnt to a crisp once the season started. Potential means nothing unless they execute once the bell rings. I will wait until the season starts before I make judgments on any player.

I’ve been burnt as a White Sox fan, too. For the last several years, they had all the potential in the world - on paper. And, each year, they stink to high heaven. I have learned my lesson!
07-29-2023 11:44 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(07-29-2023 11:44 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I have no expectations for any of these guys. My high hopes and expectations last year got burnt to a crisp once the season started. Potential means nothing unless they execute once the bell rings. I will wait until the season starts before I make judgments on any player.

I’ve been burnt as a White Sox fan, too. For the last several years, they had all the potential in the world - on paper. And, each year, they stink to high heaven. I have learned my lesson!

This seasons tough - this team should win. The roster is more complete than it has been in the past, a QB who is ready to win, and a staff who understands how awful the defense was and it needed fixing.

I am hopeful hammock addressed that.

I think this team could win every game. There really isn’t a game where I look at the schedule and say “that’s it, we are ******.” Most of these guys are champions.
07-29-2023 06:25 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(07-29-2023 06:25 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(07-29-2023 11:44 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I have no expectations for any of these guys. My high hopes and expectations last year got burnt to a crisp once the season started. Potential means nothing unless they execute once the bell rings. I will wait until the season starts before I make judgments on any player.

This seasons tough - this team should win. The roster is more complete than it has been in the past, a QB who is ready to win, and a staff who understands how awful the defense was and it needed fixing.

I am hopeful hammock addressed that.

I think this team could win every game. There really isn’t a game where I look at the schedule and say “that’s it, we are ******.” Most of these guys are champions.

I do like how TH changed the practice/off-season training since so many guys got hurt the last couple years. It may not make huge changes, but atleast he’s trying something different. Could pay big dividends for guys being fresh.
07-30-2023 10:26 PM
M4l4z4n Offline
Water Engineer

3rd down - Dozier - Poe
FB - Lampe

LG - Champe - Lippe/Hoth
C - Nygra - Curry
RG - Big-Z - Pitcel/Hoth

RE - Oppong - Sanders

K - Woodil/Seibert
P - Foley

Well thank you!
Any positions in particular you think I got wrong?
07-31-2023 07:06 AM
Advertisement

Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

Does camp start this week?
07-31-2023 08:50 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2023 07:06 AM)M4l4z4n Wrote:  
3rd down - Dozier - Poe
FB - Lampe

LG - Champe - Lippe/Hoth
C - Nygra - Curry
RG - Big-Z - Pitcel/Hoth

RE - Oppong - Sanders

K - Woodil/Seibert
P - Foley

Well thank you!

Oppong. He's a back up IMO. I think it says a lot when He and Thomas are both on the field the most athletic D-linemen are Ester and Omalley. Hampton is still the primary back up. Barnes may move around a bit in formations but I think two TE sets will be Tewes and Joiner.(until someone emerges better than Tewes). Lastly, Dolphin will start but not at Huskie. Will or Mike...not sure.

Im going pretty much straight chalk and since there's usually a surprise or two you definitely could have nailed some. The only one I just HAVE to object to is Oppong. He and Thomas have 4 sacks combined in 55 games. Can't have that on both sides.
07-31-2023 09:26 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(07-31-2023 09:26 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(07-31-2023 07:06 AM)M4l4z4n Wrote:  
3rd down - Dozier - Poe
FB - Lampe

LG - Champe - Lippe/Hoth
C - Nygra - Curry
RG - Big-Z - Pitcel/Hoth

RE - Oppong - Sanders

K - Woodil/Seibert
P - Foley

Well thank you!

Oppong. He's a back up IMO. I think it says a lot when He and Thomas are both on the field the most athletic D-linemen are Ester and Omalley. Hampton is still the primary back up. Barnes may move around a bit in formations but I think two TE sets will be Tewes and Joiner.(until someone emerges better than Tewes). Lastly, Dolphin will start but not at Huskie. Will or Mike...not sure.

Im going pretty much straight chalk and since there's usually a surprise or two you definitely could have nailed some. The only one I just HAVE to object to is Oppong. He and Thomas have 4 sacks combined in 55 games. Can't have that on both sides.

The starting DLine is going to be difficult to nail down. I like Haberman, but I also like O'Malley. Ester is a fixture. Thomas gets to start because he always has. The other DE? Who knows. Maybe throw a 5 man front at folks once in a while. Stand Thomas up, Haberman at the nose, Ester/O'Malley the tackles, and the stand up ends Thomas and whoever the H is.

It's a good problem to have. Like I have been saying for a little bit now, this team has more options than previous Hammock teams have.
08-01-2023 08:21 AM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

We need one DE to generate consistent pressure on QB. This is our weakness.
08-01-2023 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.