Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2024 MBB Commit: Tyler Ode
Bookmark and Share
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
MyBB 2024 MBB Commit: Tyler Ode
6'5 G Saginaw Heritage HS, MI
Offers from Oakland, WMU and Iowa State.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15680540/Tyler-Ode
06-12-2023 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

RE: 2024 MBB Commit: Tyler Ode
(06-12-2023 01:35 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  6'5 G Saginaw Heritage HS, MI

Thanks for heads up NC... great!

Love recruiting news. So - it's totally wide open on # of 2024 recruits since we always lose somebody and if we do not then there are still 2 opening as of today. Likely take at least 3. Very hard to predict. We seem to get a lot of 6'5" guys.

Go Rockets!
06-12-2023 01:54 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
He missed 5 months last year from a stress fracture in his foot. Banks Hoops described his game coming back from the foot injury

Ode Back, and Better
"Ode, a 6-5 wing guard, a triple-threat on the break who can run to the wings or trail for 3s; use his size and body control to get wide and finish; or rebound, lead the break and dish it off himself. Good off curls in the half-court, with patience and elevation to score in the lane. Dangerous on the baseline with a big first step, basket orientation, and hangtime. Uses his frame to clear out space.... he moves consistently and with space-consciousness off the ball, and sets lots of screens in the process."
06-12-2023 02:01 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(06-12-2023 01:35 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  6'5 G Saginaw Heritage HS, MI

Hoping he isn't another Jakobi or Etherington and that TK has learned from those misses. Great young men but didn't pan out skill-wise.

TK seems to love these 6'5" guards. We'll see this year how Sammy Lewis does in SG role.
06-12-2023 02:40 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Really like Ode on tape. Big guard. Looks 6-6 and solid. A few things jump out
- aggressive, edgy player with a competitive in your face style
- scores at all 3 levels and in many ways
- good leaper who throws it down in the halfcourt, alley oops, tip dunks

would compare him more to Justin Drummond, Milner than Etherington or Jacobi. Ode is both a shooter and a competitor. Etherington could shoot but didn't compete hard. Jacobi would compete but didn't have offensive feel or a shot. Who knows if he'll be as good as those first 2 guys but he's a talented recruit who is physically ahead of most guys his age. Looks more like a P6 recruit than a MAC guy, probably helped us that he was hurt and didn't get evaluated much as a junior, similar to Ryan Rollins.

Overall, my hunch is this means the staff wants to sign one more guy for '23 and save the last scholarship. No c/o '23 grads although I assume that a couple guys will hit the portal after next season, but if you keep the last scholarship open then Ode is set and you can recruit light for '24 staying on a few guys without signing them until the staff sees how the roster looks post season. Expect a big class entering in fall '25.

'24 grads-none
'25 grads-Wight, Moss, Cochran, Maddox, Lorentsson
'26 grads-none
'27 grads-Simmons, ford, thomas, wilson, grgur, Lewis, (?Alpha?)
'28 grads-Ode
06-12-2023 05:07 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(06-12-2023 05:07 PM)pono Wrote:  Really like Ode on tape. Big guard. Looks 6-6 and solid. A few things jump out
- aggressive, edgy player with a competitive in your face style
- scores at all 3 levels and in many ways
- good leaper who throws it down in the halfcourt, alley oops, tip dunks

would compare him more to Justin Drummond, Milner than Etherington or Jacobi. Ode is both a shooter and a competitor. Etherington could shoot but didn't compete hard. Jacobi would compete but didn't have offensive feel or a shot. Who knows if he'll be as good as those first 2 guys but he's a talented recruit who is physically ahead of most guys his age. Looks more like a P6 recruit than a MAC guy, probably helped us that he was hurt and didn't get evaluated much as a junior, similar to Ryan Rollins.

Overall, my hunch is this means the staff wants to sign one more guy for '23 and save the last scholarship. No c/o '23 grads although I assume that a couple guys will hit the portal after next season, but if you keep the last scholarship open then Ode is set and you can recruit light for '24 staying on a few guys without signing them until the staff sees how the roster looks post season. Expect a big class entering in fall '25.

'24 grads-none
'25 grads-Wight, Moss, Cochran, Maddox, Lorentsson
'26 grads-none
'27 grads-Simmons, ford, thomas, wilson, grgur, Lewis, (?Alpha?)
'28 grads-Od05-banCOGSe

Nice input to all......... Really hope we get solid contributors from Frosh and that they stick with program and program wants then around. A bit of a log jam in 2 classes. I suspect Ford and Lewis to RS but who knows. It would seem at least 3 of the '27 class have to play this year. Likely Simmons, Wilson, & Brcic IMHO.

Recruiting is great stuff. I like Ode as well. He seems all business even in his interviews. He handles the ball very well. I noticed he uses left hand with great feel. A very good player. Like Sleepy said he is a much better shooter than Kooper and a more determined player than Aaron. A baller. Most on this board expect Cochran to retain Jr eligibility. Hope so.

TK has always stated he likes balanced even classes. Well - this coming year is the complete opposite. There will be RS's and a transfer so '25 we may see some smoothing of classes unless TK can still pull in some transfer magic which I doubt.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2023 08:58 PM by IamN2daRockets!.)
06-12-2023 08:56 PM
Advertisement

Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

Special Props go out to Assistant Coach Justin Ingram for bringing in 3 “Top 5” State of Michigan Recruits in the last 5 years with the signings of Tyler Ode, (2024 Class), Sonny Wilson (2023 Class), and Ryan Rollins (2020 Class). While we still don’t know how Wilson and Ode’s high rankings will translate to the court, it is still a testament to Ingram’s recruiting abilities in a rich state known for quality high school basketball players!
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2023 12:23 PM by Basketball Jones.)
06-13-2023 12:22 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(06-13-2023 12:22 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  Special Props go out to Assistant Coach Justin Ingram for bringing in 3 “Top 5” State of Michigan Recruits in the last 5 years with the signings of Tyler Ode, (2024 Class), Sonny Wilson (2023 Class), and Ryan Rollins (2020 Class). While we still don’t know how Wilson and Ode’s high rankings will translate to the court, it is still a testament to Ingram’s recruiting abilities in a rich state known for quality high school basketball players!

Spot-on

Is Ingram the next HC??? Seems likely. He's loyal and seems to be in line for job. I'd be surprised to see him leave and if he did he might be pulled back for the top job.
06-13-2023 12:45 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

2024 MBB Commit: Tyler Ode
(06-13-2023 12:45 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  
(06-13-2023 12:22 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  Special Props go out to Assistant Coach Justin Ingram for bringing in 3 “Top 5” State of Michigan Recruits in the last 5 years with the signings of Tyler Ode, (2024 Class), Sonny Wilson (2023 Class), and Ryan Rollins (2020 Class). While we still don’t know how Wilson and Ode’s high rankings will translate to the court, it is still a testament to Ingram’s recruiting abilities in a rich state known for quality high school basketball players!

Spot-on

Is Ingram the next HC??? Seems likely. He's loyal and seems to be in line for job. I'd be surprised to see him leave and if he did he might be pulled back for the top job.

Ingram would do well to get some assistant time at a bigger school

Bigger stage and level of athlete similar to what Joplin did with Jud Heathcote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2023 05:01 PM by indianasniff.)
06-13-2023 04:59 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Keith Wade approves of this commit, and added this fun tweet to the discussion:
06-13-2023 05:10 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

(06-13-2023 05:10 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Keith Wade approves of this commit, and added this fun tweet to the discussion:

and even before Joplin there was Dr John Rudley from Benton Harbor MI
06-13-2023 05:50 PM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

One of the better players I like from the Rudley, Mix, Miller, Brisker, Babione era, was Bill Backensto, career average of 15.1 ppg and 5.1 reb's. Key reserve from that team, another favorite player of mind was Don White, coming off the bench.
06-13-2023 09:06 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

(06-13-2023 09:06 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  One of the better players I like from the Rudley, Mix, Miller, Brisker, Babione era, was Bill Backensto, career average of 15.1 ppg and 5.1 reb's. Key reserve from that team, another favorite player of mind was Don White, coming off the bench.

As I recall Backensto was a big star in High School and I thought he was from Michigan but I couldn't find where he went to HS.
06-14-2023 12:12 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-14-2023 12:12 AM)Sleepy Wrote:  
(06-13-2023 09:06 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  One of the better players I like from the Rudley, Mix, Miller, Brisker, Babione era, was Bill Backensto, career average of 15.1 ppg and 5.1 reb's. Key reserve from that team, another favorite player of mind was Don White, coming off the bench.

As I recall Backensto was a big star in High School and I thought he was from Michigan but I couldn't find where he went to HS.

Heck of a pitcher for the Rockets.
06-14-2023 03:30 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(06-14-2023 03:30 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(06-14-2023 12:12 AM)Sleepy Wrote:  

Heck of a pitcher for the Rockets.

Better pitcher than hoop steer even.
06-14-2023 06:20 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Found some information on Backensto. Has a patent with another researcher - both from Hughes Aircraft where Backensto was employed (link below in case anyone wants to review his work). Also found a more detailed inscription for his HOF election in 1981 where it references his employment at Hughes. Still could not find where his hometown was. Couldn't find him on Linkedin, etc. Did find a Tammy Backensto - that could be his daughter (also shows another surname for her, possibly married name) Bill would be about 78 now - and Tammy is shown at 53. Shows her as having lived in Norton Shores, Michigan (Muskegon area). I remember a little bit about when he played - and he was my dad's favorite player for "TU" (which is what he still refers to the school as - but he is also 92 years old, so he's not going to change).

Not a very bright guy according to this passage in his HOF record - "Backensto was name Academic All-MAC in 1965-67. He graduated summa *** laude from the College of Engineering with a major in engineering physics. He went on to earn his master's and Ph. D. degrees in physics."

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO1982001962A1/en
06-14-2023 08:17 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-13-2023 05:50 PM)Sleepy Wrote:  
(06-13-2023 05:10 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Keith Wade approves of this commit, and added this fun tweet to the discussion:

and even before Joplin there was Dr John Rudley from Benton Harbor MI

Interesting that this picture shows Wade making a pass to Chad Keller - for those familiar with that relationship at one point in time...
06-14-2023 08:49 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
I just reffed Ode’s game at Cedar Point showcase tonight. All Toledo coaches on hand. Ode’s team faced Shelby HS featuring Alex Bruskotter, a D-1 recruit.

Now, this is just one game so it’s hard to gauge a synopsis but

Strengths: Good passer, great court vision, strong defender, looks strong, definitely closer to 6-6, has ability to hit the three

Weaknesses: off night shooting, got beat more than once against Bruskotter, not strong offensively when guarded tight. I wonder what the Toledo coaches thought…
06-24-2023 09:13 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Thanks for input RF... Great insights from the inside.

Well.... let's hope UT's staff multi game evaluation smooths out the highs and low vs a single game. Yes- players have to be able to put the ball in the hole at Di level competition. The intensity only rises. I'm always suspicious of our taller G signees even though we don't really assign position #'s anymore. Will you see him again this summer?
06-25-2023 09:38 AM
PrettyGoodRocket Offline
Special Teams

(06-24-2023 09:13 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  I just reffed Ode’s game at Cedar Point showcase tonight. All Toledo coaches on hand. Ode’s team faced Shelby HS featuring Alex Bruskotter, a D-1 recruit.

Now, this is just one game so it’s hard to gauge a synopsis but

Strengths: Good passer, great court vision, strong defender, looks strong, definitely closer to 6-6, has ability to hit the three

Weaknesses: off night shooting, got beat more than once against Bruskotter, not strong offensively when guarded tight. I wonder what the Toledo coaches thought…

Believe Toledo is also going after Bruskotter, any thoughts on him?
06-26-2023 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.