Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tramel: Big 12 Source says CU could commit to moving soon
cc22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: football
Tramel: Big 12 Source says CU could commit to moving soon
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/c...247928007/

Quote:Colorado joined the Big Seven Conference in 1948 and stayed through its various itinerations for 62 years. Could the Buffaloes be coming back?

A Big 12 source told me last week that Colorado is ready to commit to joining the Big 12 “soon.”

Thought this was worth a new thread as Tramel has connections, though if people disagree it can be folded into another thread. I'll still believe it when it happens, but who even knows anymore. Hope everyone's enjoying some nice late spring weather!
05-23-2023 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats
RE: Tramel: Big 12 Source says CU could commit to moving soon
Impossible. Colorado banned truck stops during covid.
05-23-2023 04:31 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
[Image: giphy.gif]
05-23-2023 04:37 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I think CU will move first. Next add will be Memphis if rest of 4C decline. Keep in mind, GK can backfill with SDSU and/or CSU if necessary.

Yormark has to deliver the deathblow and grab two schools at once.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 04:39 PM by RUScarlets.)
05-23-2023 04:38 PM
TeamRamRod1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
Tramel is obviously part of the 12anon cabal
05-23-2023 04:39 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(05-23-2023 04:38 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I think CU will move first. Next add will be Memphis if rest of 4C decline. Keep in mind, GK can backfill with SDSU and/or CSU if necessary.

Yormark has to deliver the deathblow and grab two schools at once.

If the difference in money is large enough then Colorado wont be the only one leaving. No need to add Memphis now or later.
05-23-2023 04:42 PM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Is the Big 12 ready for Prime Time?
05-23-2023 04:44 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
Would losing CU decreases the pac market value?
05-23-2023 04:54 PM
SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
If this indeed true, Colorado 1st, followed quickly by Arizona, and then the flood gates open with Washington and Oregon go to the B1G. Absolute chaos and in short order
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 04:57 PM by SouthEastAlaska.)
05-23-2023 04:56 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(05-23-2023 04:44 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Is the Big 12 ready for Prime Time?

I think Yormark can renegotiate if he pulls this off… ;-)

Prime in the Big 12 is huge. Way better fit than USF in the AAC, even though I thought that was the best move at the time.
05-23-2023 04:57 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(05-23-2023 04:44 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Is the Big 12 ready for Prime Time?

Looking forward to his coming out party in Fort Worth. Headline: Buffs buffalo Toads.
05-23-2023 04:58 PM
Advertisement

Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(05-23-2023 04:54 PM)Huan Wrote:  Would losing CU decreases the pac market value?

People say it wouldn't, but I don't see how it is survivable. There isn't a flagship brand like Colorado that can replace its markets. I think if just Arizona left (not that they would go alone) then you could plug in SDSU and soldier on, but Colorado doesn't really have an inplace replacement. Not even CSU.
05-23-2023 04:59 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If Colorado sparks a train reaction, Utah better make a 180 and warm up to the idea of being conference mates with BYU. honestly, having the AZ schools, Colorado, and BYU as annual opponents and Utah St OOC is a pretty nice set up for the Utes.
05-23-2023 04:59 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I believe Tramel is finally the first established credible reporter to report this, so buckle your seat belt. This ain't the Monty Show folks!
05-23-2023 05:02 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(05-23-2023 04:56 PM)SouthEastAlaska Wrote:  If this indeed true, Colorado 1st, followed quickly by Arizona, and then the flood gates open with Washington and Oregon go to the B1G. Absolute chaos and in short order

Yeah, I don’t think the networks are going to wait and throw the 24’ season down the drain with Stanford versus Wazzou type of games.

I’m not sure what happens with Stanford Cal if they don’t get added along with UW and UO, but I think they will get in at reduced shares, with homelessness as the alternative, ironically, for institutions of that caliber.

With the clear dissension between AU ASU, I wonder how long ASU and Utah would hold out in this scenario.
05-23-2023 05:07 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(05-23-2023 04:59 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  
(05-23-2023 04:54 PM)Huan Wrote:  Would losing CU decreases the pac market value?

People say it wouldn't, but I don't see how it is survivable. There isn't a flagship brand like Colorado that can replace its markets. I think if just Arizona left (not that they would go alone) then you could plug in SDSU and soldier on, but Colorado doesn't really have an inplace replacement. Not even CSU.

Typically, any time a conference *loses* a school it is not good for the value of the league. Whether it is a Colorado, a UConn, a Texas, a Cincinnati, a Marshall, etc., it means that a conference needs to somehow find replacement value to maintain the current evaluation of the league (and if there is even replacement value to be had, it is often in terms of quantity, not necessarily quality).

Would losing Colorado kill the PAC? By itself no, but it would no doubt lead to other defections (which surely would harm the overall health/survivability of the league).

History will be the ultimate narrator, but the PAC's demise won't be because of Colorado leaving (if it does happen) or the defections of UCLA/USC, but rather the financial and business decisions made by PAC Leadership over time. You had a conference centered around one of the largest demographic states in America (California), had really strong brands (USC/UCLA/Washington/Oregon), strong media markets (LA, SF, Phoenix, Seattle, etc.), and should have been free from raiding because of your location (the West Coast was historically off-limits from the Big 12/Big 8/SWC/etc., until it wasn't). If Realignment was a game of Risk, as some have wisely compared, the PAC was the player that refused to collect cards and seek to expand land (while everyone else did). It'll be no surprise if they are the first P5 eliminated.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 05:12 PM by GoldenWarrior11.)
05-23-2023 05:11 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Isn't Tramel rather well respected?

If so ...
05-23-2023 05:13 PM
cc22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: football
(05-23-2023 05:02 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I believe Tramel is finally the first established credible reporter to report this, so buckle your seat belt. This ain't the Monty Show folks!

The thing I wanted to be careful about is he's still just repeating what someone in the Big 12 is telling him. Could be someone in the Big 12 offices. Could be someone at OU or OSU. Not really sure. So he's not really reporting it, he's repeating it.
05-23-2023 05:15 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-23-2023 05:02 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I believe Tramel is finally the first established credible reporter to report this, so buckle your seat belt. This ain't the Monty Show folks!

Still, its a Big 12 interpretation of what CU is thinking.
05-23-2023 05:18 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(05-23-2023 05:15 PM)cc22 Wrote:  

The thing I wanted to be careful about is he's still just repeating what someone in the Big 12 is telling him. Could be someone in the Big 12 offices. Could be someone at OU or OSU. Not really sure. So he's not really reporting it, he's repeating it.

Yes, he's traditionally a mouthpiece for both OU and OSU.

He's an OU guy, born, raised, and educated in Norman. His wife works for an academic division of OU. Early in his career at the Oklahoman, he was a OSU beat writer. He made a lot of friends there and gained some respect from them.

OU has definitely used him as a mouthpiece in the past. But, in this scenario, no one at OU cares about who is coming into the Big 12. However, someone at OSU or in the conference office would definitely funnel information through him.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 08:44 PM by johnintx.)
05-23-2023 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.