Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Brexit Bashing Biden*, in Ireland to Push Anti-EU Party into Rejoining Government
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Brexit Bashing Biden*, in Ireland to Push Anti-EU Party into Rejoining Government
Quote:U.S. President Joe Biden is to push a pro-Brexit party in Northern Ireland into rejoining power-sharing despite its feared increase in EU control of the region.

Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) is to face down Joe Biden in the coming days, with the U.S. president reportedly aiming to push the pro-Brexit party into rejoining the region’s parliament.

Despite an election in 2022, the DUP has so far refused to rejoin the devolved parliament over fears that Northern Ireland is being split off from Britain by the European Union, sabotaging the area’s ability to retain full membership of the United Kingdom as well as benefit from Brexit.

Due to power-sharing laws set up under the Good Friday Agreement, no government in the country can operate without the support of the DUP.

According to a report by The Telegraph, long-time Brexit critic Joe Biden will aim to get the DUP to retreat from this position during his four-day visit to Ireland, which is set to begin when he flies in today.

Biden is reportedly set to meet with the leaders of all five major parties in the region over the coming days, with U.S. Democrats reportedly hoping that the President can revive the local parliament in Stormont, putting an end to direct rule from Westminster.

“I think there can be some gentle nudging here,” Democratic congressman Richard Neal said regarding how he expects Biden to interact with the DUP, with the UK government also reportedly hoping the American leader will be able to help foster the DUP’s return to government.

Joe Biden’s visit to the island coincides with the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, a deal that largely put to an end a decades-old terror conflict between pro-Irish nationalists and pro-UK unionists that had seen thousands in Northern Ireland killed.

The agreement is seen as a major positive legacy for the U.S. democrats, being successfully brokered in part by then-President Bill Clinton whose time in office is otherwise tainted by various scandals.

Since the deal’s signing in 1998, Democratic politicians have been keen to see its continued success in the region, with many turning harshly against the UK’s decision to leave the EU over fears it could undermine the agreement by splitting the northern region off from the rest of Ireland, which remains inside the European bloc to this day.

Such a desire to see Brexit diminished in Northern Ireland has largely alienated pro-UK Unionists from both Democratic lawmakers as well as even American politicians as a whole, who are perceived as being on the side of Irish nationalists that want to see the region leave the United Kingdom entirely.

This perception has only deepened with the ascension of Joe Biden to the presidency, with the veteran Democrat openly boasting about his allegiance to Irish national identity.

Meanwhile, emboldened by demographic change in the region and increasing U.S. support, Ireland’s preeminent Republican party, Sinn Féin, is now pushing for a referendum to be held on Northern Ireland leaving the United Kingdom and rejoining the independent 26-county state.

“It is time to agree on a date for the Unity referendums,” an advert run by Sinn Féin in the New York Times and Washington Post last month read, which told the UK, Irish and U.S. governments that they should allow “the people have their say”.

Link
04-11-2023 02:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Brexit Bashing Biden*, in Ireland to Push Anti-EU Party into Rejoining Government
I don’t know exactly when it will happen, but I do think the British have inwardly given up on Ulster. That’s what the Good Friday Agreement really represents.
04-11-2023 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: Brexit Bashing Biden*, in Ireland to Push Anti-EU Party into Rejoining Government
"Biden's Message Not Welcome in Northern Ireland."

Silly Europeans... always trying to be like Americans.
04-11-2023 05:08 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

This is why Joe will not be at the coronation for the King in May.
04-11-2023 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Joe Biden Arrives in Belfast, Ireland... With Hunter in Tow

Quote:DailyMail reports on the goals of the visit:

As he flew out of Washington on Tuesday morning, Biden said the main aim of his four-day trip was to protect peace deals. ‘Keep your fingers crossed,’ he told reporters traveling with him on Air Force One….

The bulk of Biden’s visit will take him south of the border, to counties that were home to his ancestors, but his brief time in Northern Ireland will include a chance to mark the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement and other deals that secured peace.

Traveling with him were Joseph Patrick Kennedy III, the U.S. envoy to Northern Ireland, Valerie Biden Owens, a close advisor, and… Hunter Biden. What exact business does the disgraced president’s son have on an official foreign delegation? No idea. DailyMail, however, thinks it’s a show of his contempt for the GOP:

The decision to bring his son also served as a defiant gesture to House Republicans, who are investigating Hunter’s business practices and the Biden family’s role in foreign deals.

One Twitter user had another great point: Biden can find the time to go to Ireland—but he still hasn’t visited tragedy-stricken East Palestine, Ohio?

It’s also interesting that Biden is able to make this trip, but he’s not willing to attend the upcoming coronation of King Charles III. The gossipy British outlet Express thinks they know why:

Joe Biden may want to miss King Charles’s Coronation as he was “slighted” at the Queen’s funeral, according to a royal expert. When the US President and the First Lady attended the sombre occasion in September of last year they were seated 14 rows back, something which royal expert Kinsey Schofield said left Biden “disappointed”.

The president was greeted on the tarmac by British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, but even that moment was problematic:

Biden will have to attempt to avoid his trademark gaffes, according to reports:

While in Belfast, Biden, who has long been known for his pro-Irish views, has been warned to tread carefully for fear of offending unionists loyal to London and who are boycotting the province’s power-sharing government.

The president will meet leaders from five Northern Irish parties on Wednesday.

‘The president will have the opportunity to engage with the political parties of Northern Ireland before his speech,’ said John Kirby, the White House national security spokesperson.

The trip is expected to last four days.

Biden* wouldn't have been sat 14 rows back if he hadn't arrived late. Had to take the Beast and couldn't ride the bus with other world leaders. It had nothing to do wi

Bidens Arrive Late, Forced to Wait to be Seated at Queen’s Funeral
04-12-2023 11:22 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
This guy doesn't have better **** to do than interfere in UK/Irish relations? Pretty sure there's a lot of issues facing the United States he should at least pay lip service to than trying to ball-drag our best and most reliable ally over their INTERNAL politics.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2023 11:31 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
04-12-2023 11:26 AM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Wonder who he sharts on this time.

He is a worthless embarrassment to the United States
04-12-2023 11:38 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

04-12-2023 11:47 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

04-12-2023 02:32 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I would say Joe Biden is about as assassination proof as an American president could be.

Actually, there are probably Russian and Chinese operatives following him around to make sure nothing happens to him.
04-12-2023 02:49 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-12-2023 11:26 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  This guy doesn't have better **** to do than interfere in UK/Irish relations? Pretty sure there's a lot of issues facing the United States he should at least pay lip service to than trying to ball-drag our best and most reliable ally over their INTERNAL politics.

Why would anyone pay any attention to him? Nobody does in the US, including the people who supposedly work for him.
04-12-2023 03:08 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Quote:Joe Biden is in Ireland now with his son Hunter and his sister, Valerie Biden Owens.

As we reported earlier, Biden had been in Northern Ireland. He got confused about where his office was and suffered a huge breach of security, with a printout about the police precautions being dropped on the street near his hotel.

Then he went on to Ireland, visiting Carlingford Castle and Dundalk, in County Louth. He was asked a simple question about “steps to success” by a young boy and gave such a confused response that Hunter had to step in to help translate for his father what the kid asked him. But even then, when he seemed to finally get it, his further response still made no sense.

When he can’t even understand something as simple as that, one has to wonder how he can deal with all the diplomatic questions and talk that he would have to deal with on such a trip. It makes me wonder how much he is messing up behind the scenes, that we aren’t being told about, and how badly that is impacting us in critical decisions that have to be made.

But it also shows again, how much we are being lied to about his condition: this is a guy who’s thinking of running for office again? He can’t even understand what’s going on around him; he needs handlers.

There was another point that came up with Hunter during the trip that I wanted to point out and talk about: the public and private face of Joe Biden that they are showing us.

Here’s the “public face,” saying he’s “proud” of his son and his sister.

Biden has lied constantly when asked about what he knew of his son’s business dealings, but sure, he’s “proud” of him.

Now, here’s “private face” when Hunter interrupts him at a deli in Ireland, probably trying to head Joe off from a gaffe, as he talks to a small group of people. Joe snaps at him, mad that his “handler” is interrupting him.

“I’m just comin’ down and looking,” Joe said.

“I may want to order something,” Hunter replies.

“Then you order,” Joe says, getting huffy.

Sadly, they can’t keep it together, and we can see it in real-time as he falls apart. Unfortunately, so can our adversaries.

Even in his public face, he couldn’t keep things straight, as he again told the debunked lie about traveling “17,000 miles” with China’s leader Xi Jinping.

He says that as though it has invested him with some understanding of Xi. Xi is making aggressive moves around the world and against us, yet Biden doesn’t even seem to grasp what’s going on. Even Emmanuel Macron was making remarks distancing France from the United States, yet Joe seems clueless.

Biden also brought his creepy whisper to Ireland with him. I’m not sure what exactly he said here, something about “relatives.”

The Irish audience has to think: just how weird is this guy?

He spoke about his granddaughters and how he “worked” to get close to them, then added, “You think I’m joking.”

Hopefully, not as close as he may have gotten to his daughter.

Of course, there’s one granddaughter he hasn’t gotten close to and that’s the one he ignores, Hunter’s daughter by Lunden Roberts. But that’s probably better for her.

Then he quoted some words from Pope John Paul II from a 1979 visit to Ireland. “‘I have kept the faith.’ That has been the ambition of the Irish down the centuries,” the Pope said. That was praise by the Pope and a specific recognition that through all kinds of efforts against it in Ireland, they’d kept their Catholic faith. How did Joe interpret that?

“I think that’s who we are. We keep the faith,” Joe said. “I’m not talking about religion per se, I’m talking about keeping the faith, the faith in who we are, what we believe, what our values are.”

But if you aren’t talking about “the faith” — which is what the Pope was talking about — you’re just twisting what he said into nothing, you’re making it something you want to make it — without any religion. That’s our “devout Catholic” Joe Biden again, removing the “faith” from a profoundly religious statement made by the Pope.

Then Hunter had to help him again, as he left his remarks.

We are in so much trouble with this guy in charge.
04-12-2023 05:40 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
He took Hunter with him because Hunter is the smartest person he knows.
04-12-2023 05:52 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Biden Insults the British, Makes Bizarre Comment About Pentagon Leaks, and Ticks Off a Dog in Ireland

Quote:Unfortunately, whenever they let Joe Biden out of a controlled situation to go overseas, you know that confusion and gaffes will follow.

We saw that during his trip to Northern Ireland and Ireland with his son Hunter and his sister Valerie. Biden got confused about where his office is and had a huge security breach while in Northern Ireland. Hunter had to help him when Joe couldn’t understand a simple question from a child about the “steps to success.” Then Joe got snippy and snapped at Hunter at an Irish deli, talked about how he “worked” to get his granddaughters to love him, and twisted the words of Pope John Paul II on faith.

With Joe Biden, however, there’s always more. He likes to claim that he’s built our alliances while he’s done all kinds of things to harm alliances. During his remarks in Dundalk, Ireland, he managed to insult the British because of his confusion about a rugby team.

Biden claimed that a famous Irish rugby player Rob Kearny had given him the shamrock tie he was wearing.

“This was given to me by one of these guys, right here, was a hell of a rugby player,’ Biden said. “He beat the hell out of the Black and Tans,” Biden celebrated. Except the problem with that is that the rugby team they beat was the “All Blacks,” not the “Black and Tans.” The Black and Tans were a part of the British military that brutally oppressed the Irish.

That created a bit of a problem, as the Daily Mail noted.

Former Democratic Unionist party leader Arlene Foster said on the eve of his arrival that the US president ‘hates the UK’ – forcing Biden’s senior aide, Amanda Sloat, to insist on Wednesday that he was ‘not anti-British’.

Yet Biden’s reference to the Black and Tans has only served to reinforce the idea of his pro-nationalist attitude.

Biden also managed to mispronounce Kearny’s name. Kearny had been at the White House for St. Patrick’s Day and Biden also mispronounced his name there as well.

Biden is in Ireland to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement that ended most of the violence in Northern Ireland. It’s not clear why Hunter or Joe’s sister, Valerie were there, apart from getting a free trip to Ireland. Chances the Bidens are reimbursing the government for their trip? I wouldn’t bet on it. Of course, Hunter has been playing the role of the handler, so perhaps that qualifies as “official work.”

Biden met with the Irish President Michael Higgins at Áras an Uachtaráin – the home of the Irish president in Phoenix Park, Dublin.

Joe being Joe, didn’t seem to have absorbed the instructions on where he was supposed to stand, so the Irish president had to help position him.

Biden joked he wasn’t going home, he was staying there. He said the same thing when he visited Canada.

Unfortunately for us, he keeps coming back.

Reporters asked Biden about the investigation into the leaked Pentagon documents. Biden responded, “I’m gonna go plant a tree.”

The reporters tried again as he was walking around the property. Biden’s response was bizarre. You can hear the Biden people desperately trying to get the press out of there. But too late, Biden responded.

“I’m not concerned about the leak because — I’m concerned that it happened, but there’s nothing contemporaneous that I’m aware of that is of great consequence,” Biden declared. Um, Joe? The leaks showed the exact number of NATO forces in Ukraine. It may have revealed how we were getting intelligence from the Russians. Not to mention a variety of other intelligence. I’d say that that’s very important contemporaneous information. The fact that he doesn’t seem to think so is concerning. Even his National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby stressed how important the information was and that it should not be out there.

But there was one moment that probably said it for all of us. While walking around the property, Biden tried to engage with a big dog. The dog wasn’t having any of it and barked his head off angrily at Biden. The Irish president had to go calm the dog down.

Dogs know.
04-13-2023 12:20 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Biden's Comments to the Little Kids in Ireland Were Even Weirder Than We Thought

Quote:During one of his stops in Ireland, Biden stopped to talk with a group of kids.

But as we noted one of them asked Biden about “steps to success.” That’s when it got weird and Hunter had to help Joe out because he didn’t seem to understand what the child was asking him.

Biden’s response? “Making sure that we don’t all have COVID, why, what are you talking about?” he said to the poor kid.

Hunter had to help explain to him what the child was asking him, “key to success,” but even then Biden made a weird comment, “Whenever you disagree with someone, it’s okay to question their judgment, whether they’re right or wrong, but it’s never okay to question their motive.”

But now that the transcript of the exchange is out, we realize that the interaction was even weirder than we thought. Not to mention that Hunter had to correct him multiple times.

As this Politico guy notes, the poor stenographers who have to try to transcribe rambling old Joe. They deserve hazard pay because it’s surely not a simple job.

First, before the kid asked the question about success, there was this little bit of weirdness about young girls.

And, by the way, to all the parents, I want to thank you because, you know, being — working at an embassy, everybody thinks, back home, it’s pretty glamourous. But I don’t want — you don’t want to be around the day you got to walk home and tell your 13-year-old kid, “You’re not going back to the same school and you got to stop dating that girl you were with and that boy you liked very much. You’re not going to be around.”

What? I think it’s a variation on the “don’t let your daughter date till she’s 30” thing that he sometimes does. But it comes out as just babbling and he’s always weirdly obsessed with talking about little girls dating.

But then after that comment to the kid that it’s never “okay to question their motive,” he told a long rambling story about Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC). You can read it all in the tweet from the Politico guy, but it’s just bizarre, and you can see Hunter’s face here — he’s just like, “Oh, my.”

Hunter had to correct Joe on even what state Helms represented.

Biden tried to distance himself from Helms, whom he described as “not very crazy about African Americans” to the kids, but Biden had worked with Helms on anti-busing legislation, so he’s not being honest about that relationship or what that means about him at the time.

Biden also claimed that the disagreement that he had with Helms — when he was 32 — was about the Americans with Disabilities Act. But the ADA was introduced for the first time in 1988. Biden was 32 in 1974, so he was off by about 14 years. So once again, you have a story that he’s rambling on about to kids that’s supposed to have a point that it never gets to, but it could never have happened as he claims. It’s just fantasy land.

But why would you tell such a weird story to little kids anyway? It doesn’t even make sense to adults, much less to kids. Not to mention that Biden is always demonizing his opponents, so if the point was to try to understand your opponents to work with them, he fails at that too.

It sounds like the kids got that what he was saying was crazy too, trying to shift to simpler questions for old Joe.

Then Hunter or someone had the sense to try to get him away from the kids and questions. Hunter has to tell him he’s supposed to be doing a “rope line” — shaking hands/saying hello to people. (Click on the tweet to enlarge it.)

Hunter then has to even explain to him what a rope line is — and this is what they put in the transcript. God knows what was in the “inaudible” part.
04-13-2023 03:43 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
His entire presidency is a complete train wreck
04-13-2023 04:02 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Biden Tells the Irish Parliament More Surreal Stories That Are a Bunch of Malarkey

Quote:Joe Biden’s trip to Northern Ireland and Ireland has been a festival of embarrassment so far. I’m not sure that it was worth revealing how far he’s deteriorated to the world just because he wanted to take his son and sister to Ireland.

I think it’s fair to say it has not been going well. When you insult another country in the process and need your son to help you get through basic actions like understanding what a child is saying or doing a rope line greeting, there’s a big problem. Biden even made up another weird story that couldn’t possibly be true the way he told it when he was talking to little kids. It’s more than a little concerning that this is the representation that we are sending out to other countries. Imagine what our adversaries must be thinking. We can see them making moves around the world and we should be worried.

Biden delivered some remarks on Thursday to the Irish Parliament. You know when you hear that you have to cringe and hope that he didn’t say anything especially stupid.

The embarrassment started before he even got into the chamber when the Speaker of the lower House of Parliament, Seán Ó Fearghaíl, had to help position Biden for the photo-op.

Remember Joe Biden’s basic principle whenever he speaks before a group — pander, pander, pander. It doesn’t matter if there’s any reality to what he’s saying. But just tell them how you are like them in some way. This is how Joe Biden has become the first person occupying the Oval Office who was a black, Puerto Rican, Polish, civil rights activist truck driver who challenged Corn Pop to a duel while going to shul and black churches.

So with that, I give you Joe Biden, the rugby player.

He says he played rugby after he got out of law school for a year in a club. He’s previously said, “I don’t want to exaggerate my rugby career. I played rugby for one year when I was in law school. I played college football and high-school football but rugby only for a year.” Turns out Syracuse didn’t have a club until a year after he left. So did he play? Not that can be proven.

Then this nonsense where he tries to suggest that rugby is somehow safer is clueless and suggests to me he has no idea what he is talking about.

Then there was this confused story which I think is about him saying he recognizes there was discrimination against the Irish. But it’s such a load of gobbledygook, it’s not clear what exactly he’s saying here.

I tried to track this story down and found nothing to support it so far. Also probably not unless you’re talking about more than 100 years ago, then probably not in Colorado and not something Biden went through, so what did that have to do with appreciating a Hispanic audience? And probably not the story you want to be telling the Irish Parliament. But hey, Joe has never let reality intrude on his stories.

Then there was Joe the Revolutionary. We’re supposed to believe that his grandfather thought that boring old Joe who has always been known for his gaffes had the makings of an Irish revolutionary.

Yeah, no. Although I guess the fight with the chain with Corn Pop was probably lit.

Then he had some battles with the teleprompter — which he lost. Badly.

But just remember, he’s a fabulous leader who has had more experience than anyone ever before him.

“The only thing I bring to this career after my aged — as you can see how old I am — was a little bit of wisdom,” Biden said. “I come to the job with more experience than any president in American history. Doesn’t make me better or worse, but it gives me a few excuses.”

Unfortunately, all we’ve gotten from him is the “aged” — we haven’t gotten any of the “wisdom” from him.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2023 04:12 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
04-13-2023 04:08 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

04-13-2023 09:10 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

04-14-2023 12:27 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE

I suppose most Americans today don’t know who Gerry Adams is. I’m honestly not sure whether Joe Biden knows, or not.

But you may be sure that everyone in Northern Ireland and the U.K. knows exactly who Gerry Adams is. Short of pissing on Churchill’s grave or something like that, there is really nothing that Biden could’ve done that would be more offensive to the British than posing for that photograph. Holy sh¡t.
04-14-2023 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.