RE: Video Breakdown of League Football TV Exposure
Excellent video.
04-06-2023 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AzonTheKid Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kansas
Big 12 having at most 30% streaming is going to be huge for those brands and viewership numbers.
04-06-2023 04:13 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(04-06-2023 04:13 PM)AzonTheKid Wrote:  Big 12 having at most 30% streaming is going to be huge for those brands and viewership numbers.

Basically everything else on ABC/FOX/ESPN/2/U/FS1 is great visibility.

ACC doing well given how much they had to work around the old Raycom syndication deal. Shocking how much inventory is tied up in ACCN.

P12 fighting for what it can.

Big Ten has the best top level visibility with FOX, CBS, NBC.
SEC has the best tier 1 & 2 combo as ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 all better than FS1 but BTN is better than ESPN+ at the bottom.
04-06-2023 04:18 PM
1845 Bear Offline

(04-06-2023 04:13 PM)AzonTheKid Wrote:  Big 12 having at most 30% streaming is going to be huge for those brands and viewership numbers.

Not only that but also getting everything else on either a major network station or a major cable station with established casual viewership.
04-06-2023 07:06 PM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

An interview loosely around this article on 365 Sports.

04-07-2023 10:53 AM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Personally, I wish 100% of SBC games were on ESPN+, instead of ~73%.

Whenever I move into a place that doesn't require cable as part of rent, I'm not going to pay $80+/month to watch the other ~27% on cable channels, especially since I don't watch anything else on cable.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2023 11:20 AM by Yosef181.)
04-07-2023 11:12 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(04-07-2023 10:53 AM)1845 Bear Wrote:  An interview loosely around this article on 365 Sports.

pretty good interview. George defiantly has a tough basket to weave.
04-07-2023 11:20 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
Buh. AAC really taking a hit going to 14. Pretty much all additional content (an entire season x 3 more net teams) is going to ESPN+. 35% streaming to 50% streaming overnight.

Hope that ESPN has truly stepped away from PAC bidding, but either way I think we're fairly safe with our small amount of noon ABC and ESPN slots considering we play in American rather than Asian time zones.
04-07-2023 03:26 PM
Advertisement

unalions Online
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
(04-06-2023 04:18 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  

ACC doing well given how much they had to work around the old Raycom syndication deal. Shocking how much inventory is tied up in ACCN.

SEC has the best tier 1 & 2 combo as ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 all better than FS1 but BTN is better than ESPN+ at the bottom.

I listened to that part of the video where they discussed the “Big 10 killing it” but I wasn’t sold with as much enthusiasm as they were. Of course, I’m an SEC and UNA fan. Just because the SEC isn’t going to be on CBS in the afternoons doesn’t mean I’m going to watch the B10 game in its place. I’m going to find the SEC games wherever they are.

I mentioned UNA because honestly, I love that all of their games are on ESPN+. I don’t have to chase them down on random cable channels. I can literally watch them on my TV, laptop, or phone and not just football but basically every sport. At some point, seeking the few “casual viewers” you might pick up from some of these networks is just annoying to the fans who will watch every game especially for those conferences with deal much worse than the B10.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2023 03:51 PM by unalions.)
04-07-2023 03:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
unalions Online
1st String

(04-07-2023 11:12 AM)Yosef181 Wrote:  Personally, I wish 100% of SBC games were on ESPN+, instead of ~73%.

Whenever I move into a place that doesn't require cable as part of rent, I'm not going to pay $80+/month to watch the other ~27% on cable channels, especially since I don't watch anything else on cable.

Yes! This.
04-07-2023 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(04-07-2023 03:47 PM)unalions Wrote:  

I listened to that part of the video where they discussed the “Big 10 killing it” but I wasn’t sold with as much enthusiasm as they were. Of course, I’m an SEC and UNA fan. Just because the SEC isn’t going to be on CBS in the afternoons doesn’t mean I’m going to watch the B10 game in its place. I’m going to find the SEC games wherever they are.

I mentioned UNA because honestly, I love that all of their games are on ESPN+. I don’t have to chase them down on random cable channels. I can literally watch them on my TV, laptop, or phone and not just football but basically every sport. At some point, seeking the few “casual viewers” you might pick up from some of these networks is just annoying to the fans who will watch every game especially for those conferences with deal much worse than the B10.

If you're Ohio State, people are going to find your game wherever. If you're Cincinnati, it's worth having your games spread over a half-dozen networks so that they're on "regular cable" TV (ABC, Fox, ESPN, FS1, ESPN2, maybe ESPNU and some ESPN+) so you pick up casuals.

If you're North Alabama, the viewership is pretty much your core fans, so it makes sense to keep it all in one place.
04-07-2023 04:14 PM
1845 Bear Offline

The reason the B1G is killing it is that they have three giant windows every Saturday that are bigger than almost anything else. FS1 and BTN for the rest is also solid.

SEC is right there with them though as they'll be mostly ABC/ESPN with a smattering of ESPN2/ESPNU before they get to SECN and ESPN+.
04-07-2023 04:20 PM
Advertisement

unalions Online
1st String

(04-07-2023 04:20 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  

The reason the B1G is killing it is that they have three giant windows every Saturday that are bigger than almost anything else. FS1 and BTN for the rest is also solid.

SEC is right there with them though as they'll be mostly ABC/ESPN with a smattering of ESPN2/ESPNU before they get to SECN and ESPN+.

Oh, I get it. My point was that folks are going to follow their teams no matter where they are. I don't see it as some huge win that will raise their numbers much. And, as Yosef pointed out, cord-cutting is real and folks aren't too keen on the rising price of cable these days.

The Big 10 fans are going to watch them no matter what station they are on but I'm not gonna tune in just because they're on a network station vs BTN or whatever. Maybe a few "casual fans" will but most folks aren't really like that for watching football, especially on a busy fall Saturday with tons of games on.
04-07-2023 04:29 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-07-2023 04:20 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  

I like the SEC setup better - it's all under the Disney tree, you don't have to scour around FOX and CBS and NBC networks to find it.

Plus, I've never seen but a few minutes of action on the BTN. Every so often I stay in a hotel and it has the BTN and I might tune in.

But ESPN+? That's an amazing service IMO and I watch it all the time, whether for SEC events or otherwise. Much rather have stuff I am interested in there.

Just my POV.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2023 04:43 PM by quo vadis.)
04-07-2023 04:43 PM
Mean Green Alum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNT
The main piece that jumped out to me was when they said that Pac Network and Apple TV have similar exposure, "under 20m". There is a higher potential ceiling with Apple, and a big plus: Anyone who wants the game and has the money can watch it, which wasn't the case with the Pac Network. That said, both are poor options.
04-08-2023 07:18 PM
1845 Bear Offline

(04-08-2023 07:18 PM)Mean Green Alum Wrote:  The main piece that jumped out to me was when they said that Pac Network and Apple TV have similar exposure, "under 20m". There is a higher potential ceiling with Apple, and a big plus: Anyone who wants the game and has the money can watch it, which wasn't the case with the Pac Network. That said, both are poor options.

If those become a main avenue for them... it's awful exposure. The money better be HUGE!
04-08-2023 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.