03-24-2023 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: should the SEC take Miami
(03-24-2023 01:47 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Discuss please

It boils down to this: Would the SEC rather make revenue from the addition of Virginia Tech as a new market, or would it be wiser to keep the Big 10 out of Florida and dominate a market of 22 million people, and provide a 2nd and 3rd opportunity to the SEC schools who all want to play games in Florida for recruiting and just don't get many chances with only Florida in the Conference, and 6 of their games are dedicated to the East division.

Pretty Clearly Florida State, North Carolina, and Clemson are the best fits/or bring the strongest markets. If you want to control Florida (and add a part of the state where the SEC presence has been less than dominant) then add Miami. Taking Miami also reduces with the addition of North Carolina, the likelihood the Big 10 would attempt to take Ga Tech. Georgia Tech is merely a nice step to Florida. If there is nothing in Florida to get, the Big 10 likely focuses on Duke and Virginia and possibly Pitt.

Now what really hurts Virginia Tech and Miami's chances is the likelihood that N.C. State will be a requirement to land UNC. And I think the SEC would do that to lock down that state. If that happens the SEC finishes out with the Two Carolinas, FSU, and Clemson. And we take Clemson because they are the most SEC like campus and team with the most SEC like facilities, and because South Carolina very much wants them in.
03-24-2023 04:30 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(03-24-2023 04:30 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-24-2023 01:47 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Discuss please

It boils down to this: Would the SEC rather make revenue from the addition of Virginia Tech as a new market, or would it be wiser to keep the Big 10 out of Florida and dominate a market of 22 million people, and provide a 2nd and 3rd opportunity to the SEC schools who all want to play games in Florida for recruiting and just don't get many chances with only Florida in the Conference, and 6 of their games are dedicated to the East division.

Pretty Clearly Florida State, North Carolina, and Clemson are the best fits/or bring the strongest markets. If you want to control Florida (and add a part of the state where the SEC presence has been less than dominant) then add Miami. Taking Miami also reduces with the addition of North Carolina, the likelihood the Big 10 would attempt to take Ga Tech. Georgia Tech is merely a nice step to Florida. If there is nothing in Florida to get, the Big 10 likely focuses on Duke and Virginia and possibly Pitt.

Now what really hurts Virginia Tech and Miami's chances is the likelihood that N.C. State will be a requirement to land UNC. And I think the SEC would do that to lock down that state. If that happens the SEC finishes out with the Two Carolinas, FSU, and Clemson. And we take Clemson because they are the most SEC like campus and team with the most SEC like facilities, and because South Carolina very much wants them in.

It was a random YouTuber that made this statement, but it got me thinking.

He highlighted the 4 programs that have thus made waves...Florida State, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina. His premise was that these schools are looking for 4 partners to vote with them and destabilize the league.

I think the fact that Miami has already been vocal suggests they are confident in having a home elsewhere should they move. I think it will be the SEC for a few reasons: 1) the SEC is much more regional...why travel all over the Midwest? 2) recruiting will be at its best in the SEC. 3) the SEC is conducive to big games. 4) Florida State is Miami's key rival and that's a game of value to TV networks even if it's lost luster in recent years.

NC State will vote with UNC to get out. I think Virginia and Virginia Tech would vote together and I assume they would prefer to remain with the NC schools. One more and you get 8...Notre Dame should be a lock here.

Beyond that, I could see Georgia Tech moving too so that the GA schools are taken care of. The SEC doesn't gain a great deal from GT, but it helps with travel, keeps the Big Ten from tapping Atlanta, and is probably in the best interest of GA politics.

So there's a very solid 8 right there:

Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, NC State, UVA, and Virginia Tech
03-24-2023 07:10 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Listening to a considerable amount of local Clemson chatter, they want much more $$$$$. They would be happy with SEC-level money while remaining in the ACC. Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, etc., know they will not receive P2-standard revenue in the ACC, even if the conference moves to unequal distributions.

I suppose, theotetically, the SEC could bring an eight member ACC division under its umbrella. How much more will ESPN fork-out to those schools for changing their label?

I keep repeating: get that Charlotte market while adding FSU and Clemson. Miami can be gravy.
03-27-2023 08:19 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
The Texas/OK moves show we no longer take little brothers. So I don't think NC State or Duke is a requirement for UNC. That means we can take UNC/Tech/FSU and Clemson and stop at 20. But Miami would be team number 5 for me and a 21 team league works with a 10 game conference schedule rotating.
03-27-2023 09:09 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-27-2023 09:09 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  The Texas/OK moves show we no longer take little brothers. So I don't think NC State or Duke is a requirement for UNC. That means we can take UNC/Tech/FSU and Clemson and stop at 20. But Miami would be team number 5 for me and a 21 team league works with a 10 game conference schedule rotating.

Disagree, but that's me. What Texas/OK is to me is an orchestrated ESPN move just so that ESPN can save $$$'s. Period. USC/UCLA was an orchestrated Fox move just so that Fox could save $$$'s.

The real issue is going to be down the road when FAANG starts buying up NBC, CBS, etc. Fox and ESPN may even fall to FAANG as well. I wouldn't be surprised; FAANG is the new world order, IMO. Just like how the NWO stormed onto the scene in WCW and took everyone by surprise, FAANG is going to do the same in the world of sports broadcasting. It's only a matter of time, IMHO.
03-27-2023 09:45 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-27-2023 08:19 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Listening to a considerable amount of local Clemson chatter, they want much more $$$$$. They would be happy with SEC-level money while remaining in the ACC. Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, etc., know they will not receive P2-standard revenue in the ACC, even if the conference moves to unequal distributions.

I suppose, theotetically, the SEC could bring an eight member ACC division under its umbrella. How much more will ESPN fork-out to those schools for changing their label?

I keep repeating: get that Charlotte market while adding FSU and Clemson. Miami can be gravy.

That is the ideal foursome for the SEC. i guess the question will always be what does ESPN want since they are paying for it.

Those are the 4 best brands and markets. But maybe ESPN doesn't want to cave on having a monopoly in Florida. It would cost them money if FOX got in.

Florida State, Clemson, MIami, North Carolina? Do you deep six Clemson because South Carolina gives us the state? Then you are looking at Florida State, Miami, North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

What if ESPN is worried about losing the top basketball brands to FOX and figures the SEC football is tough enough? Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Virginia, or perhaps a compromise with the SEC who needs a second Florida school to meet demand for games in that state from conference members. Now it changes again, Florida State, North Carolina, Duke and Virginia. And frankly that configuration, much as I wouldn't like it is likely if ESPN has concerns to protect those brands. You can like Miami, and love Va Tech, but they aren't the brands of those 4. And note who else is absent, Clemson.

So there is a lot of food for thought here and a lot more permutations than many would believe. And this is the sole reason a move to 8 is not impossible, though less profitable. At least at 8 Clemson and Miami are in. The beef now is who is #7 and #8? Here's where I speculate on Kansas and Colorado. Two new states, two state flagships, 10 million new SEC potential viewers, a new time zone, the blueblood in hoops who only is second to Kentucky in earnings, and a great vacation destination for SEC fans. Is that worth more than nearby Georgia Tech? Worth more than N.C. State? And if Virginia is coming on board is it worth more than adding Virginia Tech? Which would ESPN prefer? So first four Duke, North Carolina, Virginia (the three amigos and most sought TV brands), Florida State, Miami to keep the Sunshine monopoly, Clemson because they are the most like us, and....... So far you have 3 state AAU flagships in this catch. Florida State is considered Flagship and along with Miami they are in the running for AAU in the future. N.C. State and Va Tech are likely ahead of them in this regard. Colorado and Kansas are AAU state flagships in new states.

You guys solve it.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2023 10:44 PM by JRsec.)
03-27-2023 10:35 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(03-27-2023 10:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-27-2023 08:19 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Listening to a considerable amount of local Clemson chatter, they want much more $$$$$. They would be happy with SEC-level money while remaining in the ACC. Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, etc., know they will not receive P2-standard revenue in the ACC, even if the conference moves to unequal distributions.

That is the ideal foursome for the SEC. i guess the question will always be what does ESPN want since they are paying for it.

Those are the 4 best brands and markets. But maybe ESPN doesn't want to cave on having a monopoly in Florida. It would cost them money if FOX got in.

Florida State, Clemson, MIami, North Carolina? Do you deep six Clemson because South Carolina gives us the state? Then you are looking at Florida State, Miami, North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

What if ESPN is worried about losing the top basketball brands to FOX and figures the SEC football is tough enough? Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Virginia, or perhaps a compromise with the SEC who needs a second Florida school to meet demand for games in that state from conference members. Now it changes again, Florida State, North Carolina, Duke and Virginia. And frankly that configuration, much as I wouldn't like it is likely if ESPN has concerns to protect those brands. You can like Miami, and love Va Tech, but they aren't the brands of those 4. And note who else is absent, Clemson.

So there is a lot of food for thought here and a lot more permutations than many would believe. And this is the sole reason a move to 8 is not impossible, though less profitable. At least at 8 Clemson and Miami are in. The beef now is who is #7 and #8? Here's where I speculate on Kansas and Colorado. Two new states, two state flagships, 10 million new SEC potential viewers, a new time zone, the blueblood in hoops who only is second to Kentucky in earnings, and a great vacation destination for SEC fans. Is that worth more than nearby Georgia Tech? Worth more than N.C. State? And if Virginia is coming on board is it worth more than adding Virginia Tech? Which would ESPN prefer? So first four Duke, North Carolina, Virginia (the three amigos and most sought TV brands), Florida State, Miami to keep the Sunshine monopoly, Clemson because they are the most like us, and....... So far you have 3 state AAU flagships in this catch. Florida State is considered Flagship and along with Miami they are in the running for AAU in the future. N.C. State and Va Tech are likely ahead of them in this regard. Colorado and Kansas are AAU state flagships in new states.

You guys solve it.

The main reason I keep thinking 4 is less likely is because the ACC needs a critical mass of schools, or so the theory goes, to disband the league.

Now, they could allow Florida State to go, but I doubt they would craft a deal to allow all 4 of those schools, who have made noise, to go. I don't think those 4 would be talking about more revenue at this stage unless there was a reasonable exit plan with which to hold over other members.

With that said, I don't see ESPN being super happy about allowing any brands they really want to go to the Big Ten and effectively to Fox. Maybe some in the Big 12 would work, but I don't see this being a great move for ESPN's content value unless most of the best brands end up in the SEC assuming they move at all.

Florida State and Miami, I think would move together. I don't see either preferring the Big Ten and it makes too much sense for both to play in the SEC where their brand value can be maximized. Let's also keep in mind that both have improving basketball programs. Miami has just made the Final Four for example. Florida State is typically pretty good these days. That fits into the SEC vision, and it also is in keeping with a rise in overall basketball revenue. Taking both of those schools does not weaken that effort even if they're primarily football brands.

Clemson makes too much sense from a brand and cultural perspective. I'm sure South Carolina wants them included as that's a huge and prosperous rivalry. Consider also that Clemson already has regional rivalries with other SEC schools...regardless of the conference affiliation, they've been going head to head on the recruiting trail against SEC brass for a long time. They are one of the few programs that has consistently been in the CFP despite ACC revenue being a disadvantage. Basically, Clemson against a ton of other SEC schools makes for good ratings. From a market perspective, they help grab a slice of NC too.

North Carolina seems like one of those ace jewels the presidents used to talk about. I don't see them moving from their state alone though. Would it be Duke? That's the biggest basketball rivalry in the country so it tracks for TV. NC State is the other major state school though and it makes sense the politicos would want to protect them. Both? I suppose it's possible.

Virginia and Virginia Tech both make sense too. New state and they might be tied as well politically.

Georgia Tech makes sense simply because I think the Big Ten might be interested. They did jump all the way across the country for USC and UCLA so geography isn't their primary concern. That and travel from Atlanta to the hubs of the Big Ten wouldn't be all that bad. GT already shares a time zone with many of them so it's not as altogether difficult a travel schedule as going out West would be. Granted, GT doesn't bring the brand value of USC or UCLA for that matter. But if the Big Ten need one more school to even things out? They could do worse. That and the politicians in GA would probably prefer the 2 flagships be in the same league.

Speaking of politics and economics, one of the main reasons I think the SEC might actually look at more schools from the ACC footprint as opposed to the Big 12 footprint is we're talking about overall influence. A couple of flagships or a significant private school from ACC territory is not just about athletic revenue. There's a lot of advantages in being connected to the money infrastructure all the way around of these states and markets. Texas completed the deal for that state rather than initiating it. Texas and Texas A&M together represent a heck of a lot of money and influence in that state. Oklahoma is more significant by itself. Taking Oklahoma State is just not in the same ballpark.

The state of SC is not huge, granted, but South Carolina and Clemson are relatively equal in influence. They both have a large place in the ecosystem. Same for the states of NC and VA.

Kansas makes a lot of sense for content value although ESPN already controls a lot of it so it's not a dire need at this stage from ESPN's perspective. KU is not in a position to demand significantly higher revenue and destabilize their league at the moment...it's just a different situation than what we see in the ACC.

Colorado could be beneficial and technically, they're a free agent unless the PAC signs a deal soon. It's a new, growing state and ESPN doesn't currently have a major presence there. This is assuming the PAC doesn't throw most of their content to ESPN and who knows what's going to happen there.
03-28-2023 03:21 AM
DawgNBama Offline

What about Syracuse?? Culturally, yes, they have very little in common with the SEC. And even though the B1G has Rutgers, the SEC taking Syracuse could have the same impact on the B1G as the B1G taking Georgia Tech. Think ad rates here. Would the B1G significantly alter their expansion strategy to prevent us from taking Syracuse?? 'Cuse is a legendary blue blood basketball program and can have decent football at times.

Also, what about offering a partial membership to Notre Dame? If nothing else, it would definitely get the B1G 's attention. If we could land ND, even as a partial, we could have an international brand, something that right now, probably only Texas gives us, IMO. I

Leaving the B1G alone, the school that interests me the most out west is Arizona. Oddly enough, the SEC and 'Zona do have some historical ties, kind of like the SEC and Missouri. Arizona used have a Confederate outpost operating in the state, before Coloradans and Californians took it during the War Between the States. That isn't lost on me, and I am a huge history buff!! Arizona gives us a new state, and great basketball.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2023 10:18 AM by DawgNBama.)
03-28-2023 09:32 AM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

Looking at some near future scheduling, it is interesting the number of games that the ACC has scheduled with SEC football teams.

Boston College

Missouri in 2024; Alabama in 2031 & 2034

Clemson

LSU in 2025 & 2026; Georgia in 2024 in Atlanta; Georgia in 2029, 2030, 2032, & 2033; South Carolina annually

Florida State

LSU in Orlando in 2023; Alabama in 2025 and 2026; Florida annually

Georgia Tech

Ole Miss in 2023; Georgia annually

Louisville

Georgia in 2026 and 2027; Texas A&M in 2028; Kentucky annually

Miami

Texas A&M in 2023; Auburn in 2029 & 2030; South Carolina in 2026 & 2027; Florida in 2024 and 2025

North Carolina

South Carolina in 2023 (Charlotte); 2028 at SC; 2029 at NC

North Carolina State

Tennessee in 2024; Florida in 2026 & 2032; South Carolina in 2030 and 2031; Georgia in 2033 and 2034

Syracuse

Tennessee in 2025 in Atlanta

Virginia

Tennessee in 2023 in Nashville.

Virginia Tech

Vanderbilt in 2024 & 2025; South Carolina in 2025 in Atlanta, & South Carolina in 2034 & 2035; Ole Miss in 2037

Wake Forest

Vanderbilt in 2023; Ole Miss in 2025

Notre Dame

Texas A&M in 2024; Arkansas in 2025 & 2028; Alabama in 2029 & 2030; Florida in 2031 & 2032.

Pitt and Duke, appear to not have scheduled SEC schools in football for the future so far.

Mississippi State doesn't have ACC teams scheduled, but has scheduled series with Arizona, Arizona State, Minnesota, and Texas Tech.

Some ACC schools have scheduled OOCs with BIG schools such as Louisville playing Indiana in 2023, 2024, and 2025.

South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, & Tennessee, appear to schedule ACC teams the most. However, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, & Ole Miss have scheduled more than one ACC team over the extended period.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2023 02:33 AM by OdinFrigg.)
03-28-2023 03:00 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-28-2023 03:21 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

You guys solve it.

The main reason I keep thinking 4 is less likely is because the ACC needs a critical mass of schools, or so the theory goes, to disband the league.

Now, they could allow Florida State to go, but I doubt they would craft a deal to allow all 4 of those schools, who have made noise, to go. I don't think those 4 would be talking about more revenue at this stage unless there was a reasonable exit plan with which to hold over other members.

With that said, I don't see ESPN being super happy about allowing any brands they really want to go to the Big Ten and effectively to Fox. Maybe some in the Big 12 would work, but I don't see this being a great move for ESPN's content value unless most of the best brands end up in the SEC assuming they move at all.

Florida State and Miami, I think would move together. I don't see either preferring the Big Ten and it makes too much sense for both to play in the SEC where their brand value can be maximized. Let's also keep in mind that both have improving basketball programs. Miami has just made the Final Four for example. Florida State is typically pretty good these days. That fits into the SEC vision, and it also is in keeping with a rise in overall basketball revenue. Taking both of those schools does not weaken that effort even if they're primarily football brands.

Clemson makes too much sense from a brand and cultural perspective. I'm sure South Carolina wants them included as that's a huge and prosperous rivalry. Consider also that Clemson already has regional rivalries with other SEC schools...regardless of the conference affiliation, they've been going head to head on the recruiting trail against SEC brass for a long time. They are one of the few programs that has consistently been in the CFP despite ACC revenue being a disadvantage. Basically, Clemson against a ton of other SEC schools makes for good ratings. From a market perspective, they help grab a slice of NC too.

North Carolina seems like one of those ace jewels the presidents used to talk about. I don't see them moving from their state alone though. Would it be Duke? That's the biggest basketball rivalry in the country so it tracks for TV. NC State is the other major state school though and it makes sense the politicos would want to protect them. Both? I suppose it's possible.

Virginia and Virginia Tech both make sense too. New state and they might be tied as well politically.

Georgia Tech makes sense simply because I think the Big Ten might be interested. They did jump all the way across the country for USC and UCLA so geography isn't their primary concern. That and travel from Atlanta to the hubs of the Big Ten wouldn't be all that bad. GT already shares a time zone with many of them so it's not as altogether difficult a travel schedule as going out West would be. Granted, GT doesn't bring the brand value of USC or UCLA for that matter. But if the Big Ten need one more school to even things out? They could do worse. That and the politicians in GA would probably prefer the 2 flagships be in the same league.

Speaking of politics and economics, one of the main reasons I think the SEC might actually look at more schools from the ACC footprint as opposed to the Big 12 footprint is we're talking about overall influence. A couple of flagships or a significant private school from ACC territory is not just about athletic revenue. There's a lot of advantages in being connected to the money infrastructure all the way around of these states and markets. Texas completed the deal for that state rather than initiating it. Texas and Texas A&M together represent a heck of a lot of money and influence in that state. Oklahoma is more significant by itself. Taking Oklahoma State is just not in the same ballpark.

The state of SC is not huge, granted, but South Carolina and Clemson are relatively equal in influence. They both have a large place in the ecosystem. Same for the states of NC and VA.

Kansas makes a lot of sense for content value although ESPN already controls a lot of it so it's not a dire need at this stage from ESPN's perspective. KU is not in a position to demand significantly higher revenue and destabilize their league at the moment...it's just a different situation than what we see in the ACC.

Colorado could be beneficial and technically, they're a free agent unless the PAC signs a deal soon. It's a new, growing state and ESPN doesn't currently have a major presence there. This is assuming the PAC doesn't throw most of their content to ESPN and who knows what's going to happen there.

So what are your picks? I don't disagree with the reasoning, but reasoning in this case is a finger trap. The more you reason the less likely you are to decide.

Here is what I think is likely:

Florida State: Word is they want out and want out very badly. Nobody else in the ACC matches the intensity of their desperation to leave. Does ESPN placate them with a move to the SEC and use the situation to their advantage? I'll answer that later in this post.

If only FSU leaves the ACC, there is plenty of football power left to keep their status. FSU doesn't not cost the ACC a loss of market footprint for the ACCN as long as Miami remains. It may well be within ESPN's comfort zone to move the Noles at a reasonable buyout which helps placate the ACC, along with additions.

Let's say the ACC loses FSU. They've lost a major brand. They have not lost Florida's market. Especially if UCF gets invited, or South Florida. If you replace the Noles with 3 by adding West Virginia and Cincinnati to UCF you add markets in Ohio and reconnect your footprint and maintain 2 destinations in Florida. If ESPN opens the contract for renegotiation the subtraction and additions can be made without voiding the GOR. Florida State leaves for an exit fee. Everyone gets a small raise for the additions, and a larger one for the market additions to the ACCN through the subscription fees added in Ohio.

And there's more which I will address at the end.

To balance the FSU move to the SEC ESPN would take Kansas from the Big 12. Why? Because against schools not nationally recognized Kansas's branding would slip. To protect their value you pit them against brands, particularly former Big 12 brands. Kansas moves for the 50 million Texas and Oklahoma paid.

Won't FOX and the Big 12 raise hell about this? No.

The Big 12 is down to 8 schools, losing its outliers in the process, and not losing the state of Kansas since they retain Kansas State.

The only collusion between FOX and ESPN began with the release of Texas and Oklahoma which seemed to me to have a dangling quid pro quo. I think what's dangling is Notre Dame. I think the Irish will join the Big 10 sooner or later. The move of Florida State opens an opportunity for ESPN to let the Irish either fully go, or look the other way while they partially go. Notre Dame's value monetizes and covers the additions of Washington (which was a slight bump for the Big 10), Oregon (which was essentially a wash for the Big 10), and Stanford (which needed some covering to make it happen).

FOX would like for the Big 10 to move to 20 now. Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Notre Dame (either fully or partially) accomplish that move profitably. And since the SEC doesn't give a hoot about the PAC 12 schools as a whole, and since the SEC doesn't expect to land Notre Dame if they can pick up a major hoops brand to drive games with Kentucky to rival the Duke / UNC series its a win. We would stay at 18 either in 3 divisions of six or without divisions.

These moves open the door for the New Big 12 to consolidate branding and regionalize more effectively.

They add eight: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Fresno State, Oregon State, San Diego State, Utah, and Washington State. If Cal wants to join drop Fresno, but I doubt they will.

To these very nice 16 schools geographically grouped Yormark adds the more Midwestern and Western top basketball brands without any football affiliations.

This new Big 12 now spends less on travel, makes more for their product, and is given a subscription based network courtesy of the LHN.

The ACC reorganizes with 16 schools, possibly still affiliated in some way with Notre Dame, and looks to join forces with the remaining Eastern Big East schools for hoops expansion.

Now the networks have all of the major hoops programs, all of the major football programs, grouped in 4 conferences which can breakaway and create a new upper tier for both revenue sports.

The SEC and Big 10 are appeased in that neither is raiding the East to keep the other out.

The SEC has its second needed Florida School, South Carolina and Clemson is protected as an OOC rival as are Ga Tech vs Georgia, and Louisville vs Kentucky, and Miami vs Florida or Florida State, or both.

The Big 10 completes its westward expansion, secures Notre Dame in one fashion or another, and NBC and CBS benefit along with FOX, and ESPN keeps everything it wanted to begin with when it preserves its relationship with FSU and adds Kansas.

We end with a P4 in which the Super 2 dominate football branding and the Next 2 go full scope dominating hoops to make up ground.

Why do I think this could be likely?

1. It's simple and the Big 10 additional moves are expected.
2. It preserves the greater alignment in the new P4 and gives full access to those who would have felt they deserved it. So it promotes some G5s and that helps defray legal claims.
3. It doesn't piss any major players off. UNC, Duke, and Virginia keep their conference and earn more. The Big 10 grows and lands its whale. The SEC meets two needs. The Big 12 grows and thrives and eliminates costly travel. FOX and ESPN both get what they want and can work together on the expanded CFP (think 16) and the new Hoops Tourney. The two combined should profit both about 1 billion a year.
4. The SEC prefers smaller to massive and didn't really want the ACC schools we've all talked about unless it absolutely had to take them to keep the Big 10 out of our region. So a healthy ACC minus FSU is totally in our best interest.
03-28-2023 03:41 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline

(03-28-2023 03:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

You guys solve it.

So what are your picks? I don't disagree with the reasoning, but reasoning in this case is a finger trap. The more you reason the less likely you are to decide.

Florida State: Word is they want out and want out very badly. Nobody else in the ACC matches the intensity of their desperation to leave. Does ESPN placate them with a move to the SEC and use the situation to their advantage? I'll answer that later in this post.

If only FSU leaves the ACC, there is plenty of football power left to keep their status. FSU doesn't not cost the ACC a loss of market footprint for the ACCN as long as Miami remains. It may well be within ESPN's comfort zone to move the Noles at a reasonable buyout which helps placate the ACC, along with additions.

Let's say the ACC loses FSU. They've lost a major brand. They have not lost Florida's market. Especially if UCF gets invited, or South Florida. If you replace the Noles with 3 by adding West Virginia and Cincinnati to UCF you add markets in Ohio and reconnect your footprint and maintain 2 destinations in Florida. If ESPN opens the contract for renegotiation the subtraction and additions can be made without voiding the GOR. Florida State leaves for an exit fee. Everyone gets a small raise for the additions, and a larger one for the market additions to the ACCN through the subscription fees added in Ohio.

To balance the FSU move to the SEC ESPN would take Kansas from the Big 12. Why? Because against schools not nationally recognized Kansas's branding would slip. To protect their value you pit them against brands, particularly former Big 12 brands. Kansas moves for the 50 million Texas and Oklahoma paid.

The Big 12 is down to 8 schools, losing its outliers in the process, and not losing the state of Kansas since they retain Kansas State.

The only collusion between FOX and ESPN began with the release of Texas and Oklahoma which seemed to me to have a dangling quid pro quo. I think what's dangling is Notre Dame. I think the Irish will join the Big 10 sooner or later. The move of Florida State opens an opportunity for ESPN to let the Irish either fully go, or look the other way while they partially go. Notre Dame's value monetizes and covers the additions of Washington (which was a slight bump for the Big 10), Oregon (which was essentially a wash for the Big 10), and Stanford (which needed some covering to make it happen).

FOX would like for the Big 10 to move to 20 now. Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Notre Dame (either fully or partially) accomplish that move profitably. And since the SEC doesn't give a hoot about the PAC 12 schools as a whole, and since the SEC doesn't expect to land Notre Dame if they can pick up a major hoops brand to drive games with Kentucky to rival the Duke / UNC series its a win. We would stay at 18 either in 3 divisions of six or without divisions.

These moves open the door for the New Big 12 to consolidate branding and regionalize more effectively.

They add eight: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Fresno State, Oregon State, San Diego State, Utah, and Washington State. If Cal wants to join drop Fresno, but I doubt they will.

To these very nice 16 schools geographically grouped Yormark adds the more Midwestern and Western top basketball brands without any football affiliations.

This new Big 12 now spends less on travel, makes more for their product, and is given a subscription based network courtesy of the LHN.

The ACC reorganizes with 16 schools, possibly still affiliated in some way with Notre Dame, and looks to join forces with the remaining Eastern Big East schools for hoops expansion.

Now the networks have all of the major hoops programs, all of the major football programs, grouped in 4 conferences which can breakaway and create a new upper tier for both revenue sports.

The SEC and Big 10 are appeased in that neither is raiding the East to keep the other out.

The SEC has its second needed Florida School, South Carolina and Clemson is protected as an OOC rival as are Ga Tech vs Georgia, and Louisville vs Kentucky, and Miami vs Florida or Florida State, or both.

The Big 10 completes its westward expansion, secures Notre Dame in one fashion or another, and NBC and CBS benefit along with FOX, and ESPN keeps everything it wanted to begin with when it preserves its relationship with FSU and adds Kansas.

We end with a P4 in which the Super 2 dominate football branding and the Next 2 go full scope dominating hoops to make up ground.

2. It preserves the greater alignment in the new P4 and gives full access to those who would have felt they deserved it. So it promotes some G5s and that helps defray legal claims.
3. It doesn't piss any major players off. UNC, Duke, and Virginia keep their conference and earn more. The Big 10 grows and lands its whale. The SEC meets two needs. The Big 12 grows and thrives and eliminates costly travel. FOX and ESPN both get what they want and can work together on the expanded CFP (think 16) and the new Hoops Tourney. The two combined should profit both about 1 billion a year.
4. The SEC prefers smaller to massive and didn't really want the ACC schools we've all talked about unless it absolutely had to take them to keep the Big 10 out of our region. So a healthy ACC minus FSU is totally in our best interest.

Does the equation change if the B1G hires Sankey as its next commissioner and/or Amazon purchasing Disney??
03-28-2023 04:16 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

(03-28-2023 04:16 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

You guys solve it.

Does the equation change if the B1G hires Sankey as its next commissioner and/or Amazon purchasing Disney??

Wouldn’t it be very awkward and unsettling for the BIG to hire Sankey anytime soon? It would be basically a lateral move with a huge shift in allegiances, some being in the opposite direction.
03-28-2023 06:16 PM
PAW79 Online
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Clemson

You guys solve it.

Absolutely worst case scenario for Clemson .... to be stuck in an ACC with a reason/mandate to officially relegate football to second tier status so that it can go "full scope" into basketball. On top of that, the ACC would now be now devoid of our one true conference football rival (FSU).
03-28-2023 06:25 PM
DawgNBama Offline

(03-28-2023 06:16 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(03-27-2023 10:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  That is the ideal foursome for the SEC. i guess the question will always be what does ESPN want since they are paying for it.

You guys solve it.

Wouldn’t it be very awkward and unsettling for the BIG to hire Sankey anytime soon? It would be basically a lateral move with a huge shift in allegiances, some being in the opposite direction.

Would be awkward, but, if Sankey was hired by the B1G, he could stop a lot of the B1G's anti-SEC moves, and even get some additional SEC institutions into the AAU, something that JR seems to really like. Sankey might also have Fox be more cooperative with ESPN. Yes, the downside would be Sankey leaking sensitive information to the B1G, but there are also positives that should also be looked at.

IMO, the really best thing would be for ESPN to purchase the B1G network, every P5 conferences first tier rights, and then sublicense these rights to other tv networks to offset the costs. ESPN is far too interested in holding its monopoly on the NBA though, to do the above, IMO.
03-28-2023 06:27 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-28-2023 06:27 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(03-28-2023 03:21 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  The main reason I keep thinking 4 is less likely is because the ACC needs a critical mass of schools, or so the theory goes, to disband the league.

Would be awkward, but, if Sankey was hired by the B1G, he could stop a lot of the B1G's anti-SEC moves, and even get some additional SEC institutions into the AAU, something that JR seems to really like. Sankey might also have Fox be more cooperative with ESPN. Yes, the downside would be Sankey leaking sensitive information to the B1G, but there are also positives that should also be looked at.

IMO, the really best thing would be for ESPN to purchase the B1G network, every P5 conferences first tier rights, and then sublicense these rights to other tv networks to offset the costs. ESPN is far too interested in holding its monopoly on the NBA though, to do the above, IMO.

Whoa! Sankey isn't moving to the Big 10. If he did he would do what was best for the Big 10 and not the SEC. I'm for the SEC taking southern AAU schools to keep the Big 10 out. FOX and ESPN don't care who the commissioner is as long as he/she acts professionally in business deals. Big 10 and SEC commissioner is a terminal position now. Warren wasn't there long enough to retire. The Bears will be better for him because everyone there is for the Bears, which means he escapes the escapes the division which is internal the politics of the Big 10.
03-28-2023 06:46 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-28-2023 06:25 PM)PAW79 Wrote:  

You guys solve it.

Absolutely worst case scenario for Clemson .... to be stuck in an ACC with a reason/mandate to officially relegate football to second tier status so that it can go "full scope" into basketball. On top of that, the ACC would now be now devoid of our one true conference football rival (FSU).

You need to push ESPN for Miami and Clemson to become #19-20 for the SEC. The ACC could backload with Connecticut or Temple, and Tulane or S.M.U. and still come out ahead on population. Remember you now have UCF in the ACC in this scenario so that could free up Miami.
03-28-2023 07:41 PM
DawgNBama Offline

(03-28-2023 06:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-28-2023 06:27 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(03-28-2023 03:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  So what are your picks? I don't disagree with the reasoning, but reasoning in this case is a finger trap. The more you reason the less likely you are to decide.

Whoa! Sankey isn't moving to the Big 10. If he did he would do what was best for the Big 10 and not the SEC. I'm for the SEC taking southern AAU schools to keep the Big 10 out. FOX and ESPN don't care who the commissioner is as long as he/she acts professionally in business deals. Big 10 and SEC commissioner is a terminal position now. Warren wasn't there long enough to retire. The Bears will be better for him because everyone there is for the Bears, which means he escapes the escapes the division which is internal the politics of the Big 10.

If Auburn got an invitation to join the AAU, would you be opposed to Auburn taking it??
03-28-2023 08:07 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Based on JR’s proposed additions with the following assumptions:
- Central Florida (not South Florida) to ACC
- Notre Same stays partial with ACC
- California to B1G

B1G > Divisionless
California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio St, Oregon, Penn St, Purdue, Rutgers, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Wisconsin

SEC > 3x6
East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
South: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M
Southeast: Alabama, Auburn, Florida St, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St

ACC > 2x8
Atlantic: Duke, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Virginia, Wake Forest
Eastern: Boston College, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
^ Non-Football: Notre Dame

XVI > 4x4
Central: Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St
Desert: Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Utah
Pacific: Fresno St, Oregon St, San Diego St, Washington St
Southwest: Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas Tech
03-29-2023 08:39 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

(03-28-2023 03:00 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Looking at some near future scheduling, it is interesting the number of games that the ACC has scheduled with SEC football teams.

Boston College

Missouri in 2024; Alabama in 2031 & 2034

Clemson

LSU in 2025 & 2026; Georgia in 2024 in Atlanta; Georgia in 2029, 2030, 2032, & 2033; South Carolina annually

Florida State

LSU in Orlando in 2023; Alabama in 2025 and 2026; Florida annually

Georgia Tech

Ole Miss in 2023; Georgia annually

Louisville

Georgia in 2026 and 2027; Texas A&M in 2028; Kentucky annually

Miami

Texas A&M in 2023; Auburn in 2029 & 2030; South Carolina in 2026 & 2027; Florida in 2024 and 2025

North Carolina

South Carolina in 2023 (Charlotte); 2028 at SC; 2029 at NC

North Carolina State

Tennessee in 2024; Florida in 2026 & 2032; South Carolina in 2030 and 2031; Georgia in 2033 and 2034

Syracuse

Tennessee in 2025 in Atlanta

Virginia

Tennessee in 2023 in Nashville.

Virginia Tech

Vanderbilt in 2024 & 2025; South Carolina in 2025 in Atlanta, & South Carolina in 2034 & 2035; Ole Miss in 2037

Wake Forest

Vanderbilt in 2023; Ole Miss in 2025

Notre Dame

Texas A&M in 2024; Arkansas in 2025 & 2028; Alabama in 2029 & 2030; Florida in 2031 & 2032.

Pitt and Duke, appear to not have scheduled SEC schools in football for the future so far.

Mississippi State doesn't have ACC teams scheduled, but has scheduled series with Arizona, Arizona State, Minnesota, and Texas Tech.

Some ACC schools have scheduled OOCs with BIG schools such as Louisville playing Indiana in 2023, 2024, and 2025.

South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, & Tennessee, appear to schedule ACC teams the most. However, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, & Ole Miss have scheduled more than one ACC team over the extended period.

To expand on this, comments made by SEC Commissioner Sankey registered with me back in February. I accept the information that there will not be “near term” SEC expansion beyond assimilating Oklahoma and Texas into the SEC in another year. I liked his remarks concerning expansion making geographic sense for the SEC.

Could Sankey sing a different tune in a couple of years or so about adding new members? That is plausible as dominos may fall a certain way. I don’t think the SEC would expand with ACC schools not deemed “ace jewels”. Clemson and Florida State can put 78k to 82k fannies in their fb stadium seats. UNC offers a grand market in an eastern, and very populated and growing neighboring state. Notre Dame, if they unlikely offered the SEC all-sports status inclusive of football, that indeed would be an ‘ace jewel’.

Arguments could be made in behalf of Virginia, Miami, and perhaps NCSU, GT, and VPI. I see these schools more as ‘complementary prospects’, needed to land a ‘preferred choice’, and/or to find balance and evenness.

Sankey’s partial remarks there in:

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb...en-remarks

“USC and UCLA will be joining the Big Ten next offseason, adding two Los Angeles based schools to the traditionally Midwest-centered conference.
SEC teams, Sankey said, won't have to travel anywhere near that far to play.”
"We really haven't expanded our geographic reach," Sankey said to SEC Network.
We've expanded the attention, nationally and internationally, with the move to 16. Our longest trip will be from Columbia South Carolina, to Austin, Texas.
"Which is about 80 miles or so further than our current longest trip — Columbia, South Carolina, to College Station, Texas. And we have others in that same range."
Sankey added, "You realize that's actually shorter than what will be the shortest trip for the L.A. schools when they move to the Big Ten?"

Looking at other comments in differing media, I get the impression from a number of SEC personnel such as the Alabama AD, that there is no eagerness for the SEC to expand beyond Oklahoma and Texas.
That said, I don’t think the SEC would pass on a couple of extraordinary schools, and net positive financial assets would be proven or assured in advance. Less than a handful of ACC schools could really do that.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2023 07:23 PM by OdinFrigg.)
03-30-2023 12:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.