Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G5 Consolidation- MWC & American
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
G5 Consolidation- MWC & American
I listened to to the entirety of the Jim Williams (Forbes columnist) 365 interview on Youtube and towards the end he mentioned that he asked Mike Aresco (AAC Commissioner) why The American and MWC did not merge for all sports. I don't believe that he gave a complete answer.

I think that such an arrangement could work, especially if SMU and SDSU leave for the PAC. That would give the merged conferences 24 teams in 5 time zones.

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Olympic Only: Wichita State

Each team could play 9 (football) conference games, playing 7 in their division.

Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2023 11:10 PM by Ned Low.)
03-21-2023 10:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWantToTalkToRalphSampson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Addams College
RE: G5 Consolidation
(03-21-2023 10:57 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  I listened to to the entirety of the Jim Williams (Forbes columnist) 365 interview on Youtube and towards the end he mentioned that he asked Mike Aresco (AAC Commissioner) why The American and MWC did not merge for all sports. I don't believe that he gave a complete answer.

I think that such an arrangement could work, especially if SMU and SDSU leave for the PAC. That would give the merged conferences 24 teams in 5 time zones.

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Each team could play 9 (football) conference games, playing 7 in their division.

Thoughts?

By having two separate leagues don’t they net a larger share of the CFP money than if they were one league?
03-21-2023 11:09 PM
AztecNation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Aztecs
RE: G5 Consolidation- MWC & American
Too many teams spread far across the country and not enough money to justify it.
03-21-2023 11:22 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(03-21-2023 11:09 PM)IWantToTalkToRalphSampson Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 10:57 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  I listened to to the entirety of the Jim Williams (Forbes columnist) 365 interview on Youtube and towards the end he mentioned that he asked Mike Aresco (AAC Commissioner) why The American and MWC did not merge for all sports. I don't believe that he gave a complete answer.

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Thoughts?

By having two separate leagues don’t they net a larger share of the CFP money than if they were one league?

I think that you're right but it's possible that they would make more money off of media deals, so it might be a wash.

The conference could also base playoff payouts based on which teams performed the best during the regular season. For example, the conference champion would get paid more than the second-place team, etc and the worst team would get paid the least.

Travel would essentially remain the same for both conferences and the teams that fly to Hawaii would be able to schedule another home game to make up for the money spent on travel to Hawaii.

For conference championships in the Olympic sports, you could easily have two separate tournaments: one for the Top 14 programs and another for the rest.

I would want the conference basketball tournament to be played in Memphis or Wichita each year, possibly in Reno, Albuquerque or even Las Vegas.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2023 11:24 PM by Ned Low.)
03-21-2023 11:23 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(03-21-2023 11:22 PM)AztecNation Wrote:  Too many teams spread far across the country and not enough money to justify it.

The travel would actually be less because each team would essentially stay in their own time zones or go one time zone over for most of their travel.

When Fresno State played in Greenville, ... well, then it would be an issue. That would not happen every year, however. When a team plays at Hawaii, they could schedule another home game to make up for the difference or play a buy game at one of the P5 schools if they so choose.
03-21-2023 11:32 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(03-21-2023 11:22 PM)AztecNation Wrote:  Too many teams spread far across the country and not enough money to justify it.

This
03-22-2023 12:36 AM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Thoughts?

This idea was already hashed out in a thread on this board just six weeks ago. In fact Nerdlinger proposed the same three-division split with the same teams. Here's the link:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-964823.html

A lot of folks liked the idea, but a lot of others pointed out the financial and logistical problems. I think Milwaukee's assessment was a good one:

It's such an audicious idea that it just might work. However, it seems like the logistical and legal difficulties and institutional commitments would be too much to overcome. This is a fascinating "what if" to contemplate.
03-22-2023 01:08 AM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
(03-22-2023 12:36 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  

This

That.
03-22-2023 02:09 AM
andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Thoughts?

Wouldn't it make more sense for New Mexico to be in the Central and Wyoming to be in the West. Also, I would swap Navy and Tulane.
03-22-2023 03:12 AM
xCougarDavex Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UH
(03-22-2023 02:09 AM)rtist Wrote:  
(03-22-2023 12:36 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  

This

That.

The other thing
03-22-2023 03:47 AM
AztecNation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Aztecs
(03-22-2023 03:12 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Thoughts?

Wouldn't it make more sense for New Mexico to be in the Central and Wyoming to be in the West. Also, I would swap Navy and Tulane.

Wyoming, Colorado St and Air Force would want to be in the same division. Wyoming is about an hr drive away from Colorado St. and 3 hr drive from Air Force. Compare that to Air Force and New Mexico being about 5hrs apart. It also isn't like they're right next to San Antonio either (Vegas is closer).

And Navy would need to be in the same division as Air Force unless they find another way to protect that rivalry.
03-22-2023 03:58 AM
Advertisement

djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(03-22-2023 03:12 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  Wouldn't it make more sense for New Mexico to be in the Central and Wyoming to be in the West. Also, I would swap Navy and Tulane.

No, Navy is in the Central there instead of the East for the same reason they're currently in the AAC West instead of the AAC East.
03-22-2023 06:47 AM
goofus Online
All American

I Root For: Iowa

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Thoughts?

It would be better to have 4 divisions of 6 teams. Move CSU, AFA, Wy, NM, USU to a new mountain division. Move Tulane and Memphis to Central.

You say thats only 5 teams in the mountain? Well, It will all work out when UTEP is invited to replace Memphis, USF or Tulane when one of them moves up to P5.
03-22-2023 06:51 AM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Protecting the service academy rivalry seem VERY easy, make it a standing out of division game. (Though I’d prefer both go Indy)
03-22-2023 06:55 AM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Aren’t Memphis & USF about to join the Big XII?
03-22-2023 06:56 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(03-22-2023 01:08 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

West:

Hawaii
Boise State
Fresno State
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico

Central:

Colorado State
Air Force
Navy
Rice
UNT
UTSA
Tulsa
Wyoming

East:

East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple
USF
Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Tulane
UAB

Thoughts?

This idea was already hashed out in a thread on this board just six weeks ago. In fact Nerdlinger proposed the same three-division split with the same teams. Here's the link:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-964823.html

A lot of folks liked the idea, but a lot of others pointed out the financial and logistical problems. I think Milwaukee's assessment was a good one:

It's such an audicious idea that it just might work. However, it seems like the logistical and legal difficulties and institutional commitments would be too much to overcome. This is a fascinating "what if" to contemplate.

I missed this thread and just finished reading it. Thanks for letting me know.

I personally like the idea but get why some don’t. One guy even proposed divisions that mirrored those that I created.

Such divisional formats would not add to the travel costs and would more than be offset by the additional money generated by the merger; at least that’s my hunch. There would also be “strength in numbers”, like a few pointed out in the original thread.

i don’t see a reason why everyone’s current media payouts could not just stay the same for now, either. I believe that ESPN has the rights to both conferences now and it’s possible that they would be open to renegotiating things when the next “look in” occurs for either contract.

In truth, I see such an arrangement benefitting the MWC schools the most, being that they would get more Eastern and Central time slots.

It’s definitely an idea worth considering. Terry Holland liked the idea and he was certainly a bright dude.

My guess is that something like this won’t happen but it’s definitely an idea worth considering.
03-22-2023 09:17 AM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
It wouldn't make sense to go from two auto-bids to one.
03-22-2023 09:21 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
A merger between the AAC and MWC would be noteworthy and interesting.

But I simply don't anticipate it happening.
03-22-2023 01:05 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
You have two conferences where most of the members don't care one way or the other about half of the their conference mates.

Putting them together would just make a conference where most of the members wouldn't care one way or the other about three quarters of their conference mates.

It would just magnify the indifference of the fans. It's a bad idea.
03-22-2023 01:11 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
(03-22-2023 06:56 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Aren’t Memphis & USF about to join the Big XII?

Still waiting on the dominoes.
03-22-2023 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.