Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News A Four-Decade Secret: One Man’s Story of Sabotaging Carter’s Re-election
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
A Four-Decade Secret: One Man’s Story of Sabotaging Carter’s Re-election
Republicans struck deal with Iran to hold hostages until AFTER 1980 election.

WASHINGTON — It has been more than four decades, but Ben Barnes said he remembers it vividly. His longtime political mentor invited him on a mission to the Middle East. What Mr. Barnes said he did not realize until later was the real purpose of the mission: to sabotage the re-election campaign of the president of the United States.

It was 1980 and Jimmy Carter was in the White House, bedeviled by a hostage crisis in Iran that had paralyzed his presidency and hampered his effort to win a second term. Mr. Carter’s best chance for victory was to free the 52 Americans held captive before Election Day. That was something that Mr. Barnes said his mentor was determined to prevent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/18/us/po...tages.html
03-20-2023 06:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
RE: A Four-Decade Secret: One Man’s Story of Sabotaging Carter’s Re-election
And in other news, water is still wet.
03-20-2023 06:14 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
before mail-it-inns became a thingy....

[Image: red-state-blue-state-election-carter-reagan2-631.jpg]
03-20-2023 06:16 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(03-20-2023 06:04 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Republicans struck deal with Iran to hold hostages until AFTER 1980 election.

WASHINGTON — It has been more than four decades, but Ben Barnes said he remembers it vividly. His longtime political mentor invited him on a mission to the Middle East. What Mr. Barnes said he did not realize until later was the real purpose of the mission: to sabotage the re-election campaign of the president of the United States.

It was 1980 and Jimmy Carter was in the White House, bedeviled by a hostage crisis in Iran that had paralyzed his presidency and hampered his effort to win a second term. Mr. Carter’s best chance for victory was to free the 52 Americans held captive before Election Day. That was something that Mr. Barnes said his mentor was determined to prevent.

03-lmfao

Carters presidency sabotaged carters reelection

Mental midget

Laughable
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2023 06:26 AM by shere khan.)
03-20-2023 06:26 AM
Eldonabe Online
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(03-20-2023 06:26 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(03-20-2023 06:04 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Republicans struck deal with Iran to hold hostages until AFTER 1980 election.

03-lmfao

Carters presidency sabotaged carters reelection

Mental midget

Laughable

So instead of losing 49 states to 1, he would have lost 47-3. Carter didn't need any help losing that electiob.

And, if that was actually true, Iran would have released the hostages the day the election was officially called, not hours after Regan too over the office. I ran was probably 48 hours from becoming a parking lot after Regan too the oath - that is why Iran released them when they did. Jesus H. Mensa .....
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2023 06:50 AM by Eldonabe.)
03-20-2023 06:46 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
Reagan won 44 states and the popular vote by almost 10%. It wasn’t going to be close regardless.
03-20-2023 06:51 AM
Advertisement

TomorrowHerd Offline
Protecting the Northern Flank

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
From the NY times, huh. 01-wingedeagle

Must be true... 03-lmfao

03-troll
03-20-2023 07:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-20-2023 06:16 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  before mail-it-inns became a thingy....
[Image: red-state-blue-state-election-carter-reagan2-631.jpg]

When republicans were blue and democrats were red, before the media decided that red for democrats suggested communism. So they changed to help out their buddies.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2023 07:20 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-20-2023 07:20 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

This is old news, been known for years.

And Regan won 44 states and roughly 60% of the property vote. How much of an effect could it have had?

Besides, if Carter and the full weight of USA diplomacy couldn't get it done, but Reagan as just a candidate with a much smaller organization and less leverage could, what does that say about the competence of the Carter administration? Carter's administration was sabotaged by Carter's incompetence.
03-20-2023 07:32 AM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
And all these years I thought it was because Carter SUCKED as president.
03-20-2023 08:13 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(03-20-2023 08:13 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  And all these years I thought it was because Carter SUCKED as president.

Carter was a likeable, moral Biden* without dementia that didnt shower with his daughter, marry his babysitter, sniff kids or have a chinese paid crackhead son with an illegitimate kid.

Very similar otherwise
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2023 08:21 AM by shere khan.)
03-20-2023 08:20 AM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline

(03-20-2023 07:32 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

And Regan won 44 states and roughly 60% of the property vote. How much of an effect could it have had?

Besides, if Carter and the full weight of USA diplomacy couldn't get it done, but Reagan as just a candidate with a much smaller organization and less leverage could, what does that say about the competence of the Carter administration? Carter's administration was sabotaged by Carter's incompetence.

That race didn’t break until late & the hostage issue loomed large in impacting that election. Hard to believe, yet not surprised that Americans negotiated to keep fellow Americans held hostage in harms way in order to better their odds of winning an election; but then thats the evil party vs the stupid party, right?

I will say… Carter was too good a person to be President.
03-20-2023 08:27 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Mensa with his daily Doosh Award Thread.
03-20-2023 08:29 AM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
(03-20-2023 08:27 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

That race didn’t break until late & the hostage issue loomed large in impacting that election. Hard to believe, yet not surprised that Americans negotiated to keep fellow Americans held hostage in harms way in order to better their odds of winning an election; but then thats the evil party vs the stupid party, right?

Not a problem for grandpa big guy.
03-20-2023 08:33 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

the only thing hard to believe is that democrat prog filth are generationally stupid
03-20-2023 08:49 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Dear Iran,

I ask that you please continue to hold americans hostage until after the elections. This will enable me to get elected, then I will put the beat down on you guys, make america strong and feared, and you will become little midgets in the world.

Thanks,
Ronnie

yea, seems like something the ayatollahs would go along with.
03-20-2023 08:51 AM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

(03-20-2023 08:51 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  Dear Iran,

I ask that you please continue to hold americans hostage until after the elections. This will enable me to get elected, then I will put the beat down on you guys, make america strong and feared, and you will become little midgets in the world.

Thanks,
Ronnie

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
03-20-2023 08:58 AM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU

Carter was a pathetic joke as a President. I remember thinking one day the Carter Presidency was summed up as this. Because of all of the rotten corrupt Politicians he placed into positions of power his Presidency NEVER had any chance of being anything but garbage. All the while these despots ran the ship aground Carter was in the engine room tinkering with the boilers and engines.

Until Biden came along, incompetence was Carter's middle name. Of course we all knew we would experience some one worse we just didn't know when. Now we know.
03-20-2023 09:14 AM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU

After this article you will receive a letter demanding you forfeit your Mensa card.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2023 09:17 AM by BlueDragon.)
03-20-2023 09:17 AM
Marc Mensa Offline

(03-20-2023 08:51 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  Dear Iran,

Thanks,
Ronnie

Actually, the agreement went on to provide them with weapons used in their war with iraq.
03-20-2023 09:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.