Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN Staff discuss realignment
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
ESPN Staff discuss realignment
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...e-football

Couldn't figure out away to give a decent summary so here are the questions they answer so you can decide if you want to read it.

What's the next domino to fall?

Will Notre Dame ever join the ACC or another conference?

Are we moving toward a future of just two super leagues?

What Group of 5 teams can make the jump to Power 5?

What's the wildest move you would want to see?
03-13-2023 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: ESPN Staff discuss realignment
I hate the idea of relegation. It destroys tradition.

My wild idea would be to go back to the past and create 6 12 team "P5" conferences.
Pac 12 and Big 10 allied.
Pac 12 as today. Big 10 as today less its last two additions, Rutgers and Maryland.
Big 12 and SEC allied.
Big 12 as today less WVU but adding BYU and returning A&M and Missouri. SEC as today less its two most recent additions, A&M and Missouri.
ACC and a New Big East allied. ACC as per 2004 + UCF. UCF, FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake, VT, UVA, Maryland. New Big East with the rest-Pitt, SU, BC, Louisville, Rutgers, WVU, Cincinnati, Houston, Notre Dame (which keeps its own TV contract), with USF, UConn and Temple returning.
03-13-2023 10:43 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I like the promotion and relegation idea for college football. You can almost hear the sphincters clutching shut in places like Lexington and Bloomington. The whole concept of college football super leagues gets shot down rather quickly when Kentucky and Indiana, among others, are mentioned.

Many present members of The Big Ten and The SEC don’t belong in the top level of the sport. Some aren’t even the top teams in their own state.
03-13-2023 10:52 PM
ExpertAd991 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice Owls
One wild move I'll like to see is The University of Buffalo to the Big 10.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2023 10:58 PM by ExpertAd991.)
03-13-2023 10:55 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Conference realignment IS promotion/relegation.

That’s the root of why most of us like talking about realignment so much. At its core, it’s a promotion/relegation system that happens to take into account a lot of factors that may have little to do with on-the-field performance.
03-13-2023 11:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-13-2023 10:55 PM)ExpertAd991 Wrote:  One wild move I'll like to see is The University of Buffalo to the Big 10.

Ugh.

Speaking as someone that talks about the academic prestige angle in realignment as much as anyone, Buffalo isn’t getting into the Big Ten simply because they’re an AAU member. We have the Big Ten turning down Stanford and Cal but letting in Buffalo?!
03-13-2023 11:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(03-13-2023 11:21 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(03-13-2023 10:55 PM)ExpertAd991 Wrote:  One wild move I'll like to see is The University of Buffalo to the Big 10.

Ugh.

Speaking as someone that talks about the academic prestige angle in realignment as much as anyone, Buffalo isn’t getting into the Big Ten simply because they’re an AAU member. We have the Big Ten turning down Stanford and Cal but letting in Buffalo?!

I've seen some people seem to seriously suggest Buffalo to the Big 10 before, but I'm pretty sure ExpertAd was suggesting it in jest.
03-13-2023 11:27 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-13-2023 11:04 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(03-13-2023 10:43 PM)bullet Wrote:  I hate the idea of relegation. It destroys tradition.

Tradition is a racist code word.

SEC schools refused to play Louisville for many years because Louisville was integrated. UofL had black football players 15 years before the first black football player took the field in The SEC. That’s the excuse UK used anyway.

So. Break up the SWAC!!!!!!
03-13-2023 11:59 PM
AztecNation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Aztecs
I think relegation only works if there's a national TV deal split among conferences/teams.

Basic structure would be something like have 4 Power Conferences:

Pac - West

ACC - East

B1G - MidWest

SEC - South

16 schools in each conference = top 64.

Then have 2nd tier for each region

MWC - West

AAC - East

SunBelt - South

MAC - MidWest

16 schools in each conference = 128 total (which is about how many FBS schools exist)

Have some sort of 5 year method to see if teams get demoted/promoted that way it doesn't punish schools for 1 bad year or reward fluke seasons in the 2nd tier.

All Power schools make the same TV money. 2nd Tier schools all make the same TV money (obviously less than the power tier).

Power schools have their own playoff, 2nd Tier schools have their own playoff.

The biggest roadblock is the power schools today will not want to risk getting relegated (especially since some power schools will be forced to be relegated initially) but I think it would be fun and entertaining for fans. Every school has a stake and winning is prioritized. Only way it happens though is if the media push for it hard and I don't know if that's something they'd want to do.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 12:01 AM by AztecNation.)
03-14-2023 12:01 AM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
None of those three people claim to have any sources. It really isn't any more meaningful than the speculation on this board.
03-14-2023 12:05 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-13-2023 10:43 PM)bullet Wrote:  I hate the idea of relegation. It destroys tradition.

My wild idea would be to go back to the past and create 6 12 team "P5" conferences.
Pac 12 as today. Big 10 as today less its last two additions, Rutgers and Maryland.
Big 12 and SEC allied.
Big 12 as today less WVU but adding BYU and returning A&M and Missouri. SEC as today less its two most recent additions, A&M and Missouri.
ACC and a New Big East allied. ACC as per 2004 + UCF. UCF, FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake, VT, UVA, Maryland. New Big East with the rest-Pitt, SU, BC, Louisville, Rutgers, WVU, Cincinnati, Houston, Notre Dame (which keeps its own TV contract), with USF, UConn and Temple returning.

What about a combination of relegation/promotion with some tradition?? Something for everyone, and a let's meet in the middle stance.
03-14-2023 12:57 AM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-14-2023 12:06 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(03-13-2023 11:18 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Conference realignment IS promotion/relegation.

That’s the root of why most of us like talking about realignment so much. At its core, it’s a promotion/relegation system that happens to take into account a lot of factors that may have little to do with on-the-field performance.

A system that was established years ago based on nothing more than systematic racism in the South. I’m not sure what metric was used to keep schools like Cincinnati out of The Big Ten but here in the South in Kentucky it was skin color.

Heaven forbid Louisville allow African American athletes to play college football in Kentucky of all places. We couldn’t get SEC schools to play us then because we were integrated. That’s the primary reason Kentucky will fight tooth and nail to keep Louisville out of The SEC today.

How sad. Thank God, it isn't like that at the University of Georgia, Auburn University, or the University of Alabama anymore!!!! I love having friends of all colors!!! Racism is just bad and helps no one!!!
03-14-2023 01:01 AM
andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(03-13-2023 11:59 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-13-2023 11:04 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

Tradition is a racist code word.

SEC schools refused to play Louisville for many years because Louisville was integrated. UofL had black football players 15 years before the first black football player took the field in The SEC. That’s the excuse UK used anyway.

So. Break up the SWAC!!!!!!

And the MEAC as well.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 02:07 AM by andybible1995.)
03-14-2023 02:18 AM
andybible1995 Online
All American

I wish people on this forum would stop promoting this promotion and relegation nonsense. Stop trying to turn American football into European soccer. Not every bad BIG or SEC team needs to be demoted the Conference USA/Sun Belt or MAC, and not every good FCS team need to be promoted to the FBS. Teams need to learn to know their place and accept their place in the world of college football rather than shelling out millions of dollars to try to be like Alabama or Ohio State.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2023 07:16 PM by andybible1995.)
03-14-2023 02:27 AM
andybible1995 Online
All American

Big 12 and SEC allied.

Here's what the lineups would look like:

ACC

Atlantic

Florida State
Maryland
Miami (FL)
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Coastal

Clemson
Duke
Georgia Tech
NC State
North Carolina
Wake Forest

Big East

North

Boston College
Connecticut
Notre Dame
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple

South

Cincinnati
Houston
Louisville
UCF
USF
West Virginia

BIG

East

Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

West

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Big 12

North

Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

South

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

PAC-12

North

California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Washington
Washington State

South

Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
UCLA
USC
Utah

SEC

East

Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

West

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

I separated Texas and Oklahoma from one another in the Big 12 by putting BYU in the South and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the North. The Big East can be set up however people see fit. I was trying to keep it somewhat geographical.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2023 07:25 PM by andybible1995.)
03-14-2023 03:40 AM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(03-14-2023 12:01 AM)AztecNation Wrote:  I think relegation only works if there's a national TV deal split among conferences/teams.

Basic structure would be something like have 4 Power Conferences:

Pac - West

ACC - East

B1G - MidWest

SEC - South

16 schools in each conference = top 64.

Then have 2nd tier for each region

MWC - West

AAC - East

SunBelt - South

MAC - MidWest

16 schools in each conference = 128 total (which is about how many FBS schools exist)

Have some sort of 5 year method to see if teams get demoted/promoted that way it doesn't punish schools for 1 bad year or reward fluke seasons in the 2nd tier.

All Power schools make the same TV money. 2nd Tier schools all make the same TV money (obviously less than the power tier).

Power schools have their own playoff, 2nd Tier schools have their own playoff.

The biggest roadblock is the power schools today will not want to risk getting relegated (especially since some power schools will be forced to be relegated initially) but I think it would be fun and entertaining for fans. Every school has a stake and winning is prioritized. Only way it happens though is if the media push for it hard and I don't know if that's something they'd want to do.

No promotion/relegation. College football doesn't need to become European soccer.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 04:38 AM by andybible1995.)
03-14-2023 04:07 AM
Advertisement

Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(03-13-2023 10:52 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I like the promotion and relegation idea for college football. You can almost hear the sphincters clutching shut in places like Lexington and Bloomington. The whole concept of college football super leagues gets shot down rather quickly when Kentucky and Indiana, among others, are mentioned.

Many present members of The Big Ten and The SEC don’t belong in the top level of the sport. Some aren’t even the top teams in their own state.

Glad to see this observation being made.
03-14-2023 04:54 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(03-13-2023 09:58 PM)Alanda Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...e-football

Couldn't figure out away to give a decent summary so here are the questions they answer so you can decide if you want to read it.

Sounds like hype rather than ESPN, an interested party with big stakes of its own, sharing any real information about what's going on.

'Stay tuned next week, folks, when we find out whether any more G5 teams make the jump!'
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 05:03 AM by Gitanole.)
03-14-2023 05:03 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(03-14-2023 04:54 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(03-13-2023 10:52 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I like the promotion and relegation idea for college football. You can almost hear the sphincters clutching shut in places like Lexington and Bloomington. The whole concept of college football super leagues gets shot down rather quickly when Kentucky and Indiana, among others, are mentioned.

Glad to see this observation being made.

It's an idea that has been quickly been poo-pooed by especially SEC posters who keep saying that they have never asked any school to leave. However, in a world where only the top programs are allowed in a "super league" eventually the herd will have to be culled.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-965480-post-18...id18789041
03-14-2023 05:06 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-14-2023 05:03 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(03-13-2023 09:58 PM)Alanda Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...e-football

Sounds like hype rather than ESPN, an interested party with big stakes of its own, sharing any real information about what's going on.

'Stay tuned next week, folks, when we find out whether any more G5 teams make the jump!'

Bingo! We have a winner. They had one cogent observation among them. When the Big 10 has a new commissioner and has more new presidents on board they may add Washington and possible Stanford or Oregon.

And that much has been stated by people within the Big 10. The rest was drivel. And ESPN pundits shied away from speaking about the ACC and SEC in any direct terms, hmm?

As I stated earlier wheels have turned behind the scenes as the tournament provides cover and we won't hear anything until after basketball. And when that happens we are 2 plus weeks away from April 17. Things being talked about now will likely show themselves publicly once the Big 10 acts again later in the Spring.
03-14-2023 06:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.