Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No Philadelphia schools in the tournament for the first time since 1977
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
No Philadelphia schools in the tournament for the first time since 1977
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2023 04:15 PM by Hokie4Skins.)
03-11-2023 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: No Philadelphia schools in the tournament for the first time since 1977
Does Penn State count?
03-12-2023 05:58 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
It feels like the slow decline of PA’s basketball prominence. Last year, Villanova was the only PA school in the bracket. That’s not been a common outcome. This year, no Philly representation. I’m not confident Pitt is a lock, so PSU might be the only PA rep once again.
03-12-2023 07:00 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(03-12-2023 05:58 AM)schmolik Wrote:  Does Penn State count?

No
03-12-2023 07:13 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-12-2023 07:13 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

No

What he said. But they will be a great choice to be upset in the 1st round!
03-12-2023 09:25 AM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Philadelphia college basketball teams have some great nicknames (Quakers, Explorers, Dragons).
03-12-2023 11:11 AM
schmolik Offline

I think for years Villanova has been the team in Philly and they had a bad year so that's why we got shut out.

Temple: 2019 (Fran Dunphy's last season)
Penn: 2018
St. Joseph's: 2016 (Really hasn't been the same since Phil Martelli left)
La Salle: 2013 (The great Sweet 16 run, but they got absolutely nothing off it)

Drexel did make it in 2021, the pandemic year.
03-12-2023 11:55 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(03-12-2023 11:55 AM)schmolik Wrote:  I think for years Villanova has been the team in Philly and they had a bad year so that's why we got shut out.

Temple: 2019 (Fran Dunphy's last season)
Penn: 2018
St. Joseph's: 2016 (Really hasn't been the same since [/b]Phil Martelli left[b])
La Salle: 2013 (The great Sweet 16 run, but they got absolutely nothing off it)

Drexel did make it in 2021, the pandemic year.

He was fired wasn’t he?
03-12-2023 12:33 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:

LMFAO. Penn State is 200 miles from Philadelphia. Rutgers is only 75 miles away. Maryland College Park is 130 miles away.
03-12-2023 01:04 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(03-12-2023 01:04 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

LMFAO. Penn State is 200 miles from Philadelphia. Rutgers is only 75 miles away. Maryland College Park is 130 miles away.

Penn State might as well be in Ohio
03-14-2023 12:05 AM
Heisman

Penn State has certainly tried, though. I don't know if "Penn State Philly" is still a thing (was it ever?) with the Navy Yard site, and suburban campuses in Abington, Great Valley, and Brandywine. Some marketing gimmick that was.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 06:47 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
03-14-2023 06:46 AM
Owls9878 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(03-14-2023 06:46 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Penn State has certainly tried, though. I don't know if "Penn State Philly" is still a thing (was it ever?) with the Navy Yard site, and suburban campuses in Abington, Great Valley, and Brandywine. Some marketing gimmick that was.

Besides a handful of alums, no one cares about PSU in Philadelphia.
03-14-2023 07:06 AM
schmolik Offline

(03-14-2023 07:06 AM)Owls9878 Wrote:  
(03-14-2023 06:46 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Penn State has certainly tried, though. I don't know if "Penn State Philly" is still a thing (was it ever?) with the Navy Yard site, and suburban campuses in Abington, Great Valley, and Brandywine. Some marketing gimmick that was.

I believe I saw a statistic that Penn State has the second most number of alums in the Philly area behind Temple. I'm one of them by the way. Obviously in basketball season it is rarely talked about because Penn State is almost never in the NCAA's and one if not more than one of the Big Five are (most recently Villanova). During that other sport season you'll probably see the Penn State alum more proudly around the Philly area (or they'll be in Happy Valley for games). Ironically I have made very few trips back to Penn State since I've graduated, maybe one football game? I've seen one ILLINOIS football game in Urbana since I graduated, that's the scary part. You would think it would be way easier for me to get to Penn State.
03-14-2023 08:11 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Is it fair to say that Northeastern hoops collectively have slipped a bit the past few years? Seems so. But I could be wrong .

Since I started following college basketball 50 years ago, the South in general (the Southeast and Southwest) seems to have moved past the Northeast/North/Midwest for number of quality college basketball programs and, more broadly, in terms of success.
03-14-2023 08:16 AM
schmolik Offline

(03-14-2023 08:16 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Is it fair to say that Northeastern hoops collectively have slipped a bit the past few years? Seems so. But I could be wrong .

Since I started following college basketball 50 years ago, the South in general (the Southeast and Southwest) seems to have moved past the Northeast/North/Midwest for number of quality college basketball programs and, more broadly, in terms of success.

The gradual breakup of the Big East hurt that as well. At least Villanova won a couple of national championships or the Big East would probably be a mid major right now. If Villanova doesn't rebound or someone doesn't take their place, that still could happen. This year the Big East final was Marquette vs. Xavier. What would Dan Gavitt say if he were still alive to see two Midwestern teams playing in the Big East final in MSG? Meanwhile Syracuse and Boston College have become non factors in the ACC while Pittsburgh made its first NCAA Tournament since 2016 and are in the First Four.

Hopefully Syracuse, St. John's, and Georgetown get their hires right. Villanova showed some promise near the end of the season, maybe injuries and adjustment to Kyle Neptune hurt Villanova this year and it was a fluke and Villanova takes its rightful place back near the top of the Big East. Also, Shaheen Holloway's first season at Seton Hall wasn't the best but if he coached like he did in the 2022 NCAA Tournament, they should be fine.
03-14-2023 08:51 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
In the NIL Era, Penn State is going to land more of the Philly kids.

I think a lot of these smaller basketball powers will die off competing with NIL Collectives from major P5 programs.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 08:58 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
03-14-2023 08:56 AM
Heisman

(03-14-2023 08:56 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  In the NIL Era, Penn State is going to land more of the Philly kids.

I think a lot of these smaller basketball powers will die off competing with NIL Collectives from major P5 programs.

People thought joining the Big Ten would get them to land more Philly kids. It didn’t. Coaching hires? Same.

It’s a culture thing up there. Leadership has to make basketball matter for a sustainable and consistent amount of time for it to change the perception.

I bet it’s going to be very tough for Penn State to keep this coach if he has more than one season of success. That’s one of those other culture issues they have.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 09:52 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
03-14-2023 09:50 AM
Advertisement

dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-14-2023 08:56 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  In the NIL Era, Penn State is going to land more of the Philly kids.

Part of the current shift southward is the football money being poured into the basketball program in the SEC.

Used to be Kentucky and the 9-11 dwarves, with Ark/Florida/Tenn making noise (and winning NC) from time to time, but no sustained success

No SEC other than Kentucky even made the NC Game until new addition Arkansas did it in 1994 (and 1995)

Then Florida had a two year run in 2006-07

That's it. But the SEC has good depth now, good coaching.
03-14-2023 11:26 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(03-14-2023 08:51 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(03-14-2023 08:16 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Is it fair to say that Northeastern hoops collectively have slipped a bit the past few years? Seems so. But I could be wrong .

The gradual breakup of the Big East hurt that as well. At least Villanova won a couple of national championships or the Big East would probably be a mid major right now. If Villanova doesn't rebound or someone doesn't take their place, that still could happen. This year the Big East final was Marquette vs. Xavier. What would Dan Gavitt say if he were still alive to see two Midwestern teams playing in the Big East final in MSG? Meanwhile Syracuse and Boston College have become non factors in the ACC while Pittsburgh made its first NCAA Tournament since 2016 and are in the First Four.

Hopefully Syracuse, St. John's, and Georgetown get their hires right. Villanova showed some promise near the end of the season, maybe injuries and adjustment to Kyle Neptune hurt Villanova this year and it was a fluke and Villanova takes its rightful place back near the top of the Big East. Also, Shaheen Holloway's first season at Seton Hall wasn't the best but if he coached like he did in the 2022 NCAA Tournament, they should be fine.

A fair assessment overall.

For positive perception purposes, the Northeast needs at least six (if not seven) of the following 11 programs as "NCAA Tournament-caliber" each year: Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall, UMass, Villanova, Temple, Maryland and Georgetown (the latter two of which are located in the Mid-Atlantic region but are "sufficiently Northeastern"). Worth noting: Only four of those 11 programs will participate in the Big Dance this year.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 02:44 PM by bill dazzle.)
03-14-2023 12:04 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(03-14-2023 08:11 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(03-14-2023 07:06 AM)Owls9878 Wrote:  

I believe I saw a statistic that Penn State has the second most number of alums in the Philly area behind Temple. I'm one of them by the way. Obviously in basketball season it is rarely talked about because Penn State is almost never in the NCAA's and one if not more than one of the Big Five are (most recently Villanova). During that other sport season you'll probably see the Penn State alum more proudly around the Philly area (or they'll be in Happy Valley for games). Ironically I have made very few trips back to Penn State since I've graduated, maybe one football game? I've seen one ILLINOIS football game in Urbana since I graduated, that's the scary part. You would think it would be way easier for me to get to Penn State.

Temple has 149K alumni in the Philly area.
Penn has 67K
Penn State has 52K
Unknown alumni numbers from other schools like Drexel, Villanova, SJU, LaSalle, Thomas Jefferson, or any others. I would imagine Drexel has quite a bit in Phillly, as does Jeff since they took over Philadelphia University.

Google reveals some other non-Philly schools:
Pitt has 15K
Maryland 10K
Bucknell 10K
WashU St Louis 9K
BC has 7K
Duke 4.1K
Johns Hopkins 4K
Clarion 2.3K
Dayton 1.8K
Richmond 1.5K
NC State 1.5K
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023 12:42 PM by CrazyPaco.)
03-14-2023 12:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.