Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNCW v Drexel - CAA Tournament
Bookmark and Share
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
MyBB UNCW v Drexel - CAA Tournament
Well, here we go. Don't see a betting line this morning, but going by kenpom, etc, I suppose we would be a very slight favorite at the neutral site.

Drexel looked sharp to me yesterday. I will be looking to see the things we always talk about, like our ball movement, going to the paint, etc. There should be no question about being focused in a survive or go home game like this, against a team that no player (or coach) should think that we are "supposed" to beat.

Incidentally, we are trying to become the first #4 seed since 2000 to win the CAA tournament - which was won by UNCW for our first CAA Championship.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 07:31 AM by 70shawk.)
03-05-2023 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

RE: UNCW v Drexel - CAA Tournament
Here's the "Defiantly Dutch" blogs post about the tournament

https://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2023...nails.html
03-05-2023 07:33 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I really don't know what to expect from this team. CAA coaches seem to have figured us out and we haven't been able to make changes to counter what they've done. It does seem like we've been pressing with more intensity and have been intentional about getting the ball up the court off defensive rebounds for fast break chances. BUT, our offense has been so bad in the half court we haven't been able to get in the press off made baskets.

We just don't have "that guy" who can get us a bucket when we have to have one, with the exception of Farrar who seems to be parked on the bench when we need him most. I know Siddle has his demands on defense and his expectaitons, but there has got to be some leeway when we go on a nine minute drought and can't make a field goal. What I REALLY hope to see is Ross starting again and MHH coming off the bench. There is no doubt, for whatever reason, that worked best for the team. The good thing is that even when Ross started he usually wasn't relied upon to score and he didn't play much more than 20 minutes. Not sure he can give that to us against Drexel, but it could change everything and give us that punch off the bench that really was our strong point,

So, here's my prediction

Ross plays at least 15 minutes, we win
Ross plays less than 15 minutes, we lose.
03-05-2023 08:00 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

(03-05-2023 08:00 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I really don't know what to expect from this team. CAA coaches seem to have figured us out and we haven't been able to make changes to counter what they've done. It does seem like we've been pressing with more intensity and have been intentional about getting the ball up the court off defensive rebounds for fast break chances. BUT, our offense has been so bad in the half court we haven't been able to get in the press off made baskets.

We just don't have "that guy" who can get us a bucket when we have to have one, with the exception of Farrar who seems to be parked on the bench when we need him most. I know Siddle has his demands on defense and his expectaitons, but there has got to be some leeway when we go on a nine minute drought and can't make a field goal. What I REALLY hope to see is Ross starting again and MHH coming off the bench. There is no doubt, for whatever reason, that worked best for the team. The good thing is that even when Ross started he usually wasn't relied upon to score and he didn't play much more than 20 minutes. Not sure he can give that to us against Drexel, but it could change everything and give us that punch off the bench that really was our strong point,

So, here's my prediction

Ross plays at least 15 minutes, we win
Ross plays less than 15 minutes, we lose.

Other teams 'figured us out' and have been packing it inside, daring us to shoot from outside and denying lanes to our undersized guards who try to take it to the rim.

Coach gave Ross a few minutes against Stoneybrook, but he didn't sniff the floor against Towson. So unless he had a heck of a practice week it's hard to see Ross getting 15 minutes of floor time today.

Farrar is a scorer who wants the ball in his hands, and has the ability to deliver.

I guess we will find out soon enough what adjustments will be made in light of the above.
03-05-2023 08:31 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I deleted the duplicate thread for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
03-05-2023 12:07 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(03-05-2023 12:07 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  I deleted the duplicate thread for ya.

04-bow
03-05-2023 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNCW
Really like this energy early. Looks like a totally different offensive team we have seen in the past month. Playing aggressive and attacking.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 02:44 PM by Seahawk2010.)
03-05-2023 02:43 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

We started off aggressive because we were getting stops and could press. If Drexel is shooting 75% it takes away our aggressiveness.
03-05-2023 03:29 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

We need to really keep the intensity up. You have to think that the fatigue factor should favor UNCW as the 2nd half progresses.
03-05-2023 03:35 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Ross played more than 15 minutes....
03-05-2023 04:39 PM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

(03-05-2023 04:39 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Ross played more than 15 minutes....

Ross needs to play more. We are a flat out better team with him on the court. He came off the bench in the 2nd half when we were losing by double digits and we went on a 11-0 run after that.
03-05-2023 04:50 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(03-05-2023 04:50 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  

Ross needs to play more. We are a flat out better team with him on the court. He came off the bench in the 2nd half when we were losing by double digits and we went on a 11-0 run after that.

So does Farrar.

03-05-2023 04:51 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

And, duly noted, your prediction of a "W" came true.
03-05-2023 04:55 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

One very positive note - when the Seahawks went down by 11 and it looked like it could really get away from them, the guys dug down and didn't fold. Doubtless, the presence of Farrar and Ross had more than a little something to do with the comeback. The old scrappiness came back.

We are going to need a lot more than that to take down Hofstra tomorrow...but it's a positive development.
03-05-2023 05:04 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Nick wants to win and he wants to help us win, that's obvious. He has offensive skills that are far beyond anyone else on the team and we really need offense. 17 minutes from Nick and 15 minutes from Ross against Hofstra, or against anyone for that matter, is a huge difference maker for the Hawks'.

The more I watch Ross the easier it is to see why the team plays better with him on the court. There were at least three times I remember a guard trying to get a shot off by backing Ross into the post and he was shut down and forced to pass. Ross also gets a touch on a lot of rebounds to keep them alive, even if he isn't the one to get the rebound. He also boxes out really well and allows other UNCW players to get to rebounds as a result. It's no wonder the team stats are better when he's on the court.
03-05-2023 05:41 PM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

(03-05-2023 05:41 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Nick wants to win and he wants to help us win, that's obvious. He has offensive skills that are far beyond anyone else on the team and we really need offense. 17 minutes from Nick and 15 minutes from Ross against Hofstra, or against anyone for that matter, is a huge difference maker for the Hawks'.

The more I watch Ross the easier it is to see why the team plays better with him on the court. There were at least three times I remember a guard trying to get a shot off by backing Ross into the post and he was shut down and forced to pass. Ross also gets a touch on a lot of rebounds to keep them alive, even if he isn't the one to get the rebound. He also boxes out really well and allows other UNCW players to get to rebounds as a result. It's no wonder the team stats are better when he's on the court.

Ross does the intangibles. It doesn’t show up in the box score, but every little thing he does makes us better.

Farrar is a matchup nightmare for certain teams. But the issue with him is that he can be a defensive liability against certain teams.
03-05-2023 06:11 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2023 06:11 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  
(03-05-2023 05:41 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Nick wants to win and he wants to help us win, that's obvious. He has offensive skills that are far beyond anyone else on the team and we really need offense. 17 minutes from Nick and 15 minutes from Ross against Hofstra, or against anyone for that matter, is a huge difference maker for the Hawks'.

Ross does the intangibles. It doesn’t show up in the box score, but every little thing he does makes us better.

Farrar is a matchup nightmare for certain teams. But the issue with him is that he can be a defensive liability against certain teams.

As long as he, or anyone, is scoring more than the guy they are defending it really doesn't matter. Multiply that equation by every player on the team and we win. Farrar couldn't really stop Williams, but he outscored him by a whole lot, so what difference does it make? He forced an interior shot blocker to come out of the paint and it opened up the lane for everyone. Can't ask for much more than that. It's going to be interesting to see how we score against Hofstra with Ross getting minutes and hopefully Farrar doing the same.
03-05-2023 06:28 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

03-05-2023 10:46 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

Nick Farrar was indeed deserving of the Toughness Chain. Good job, Nick!
Although he didn't have much on his stat sheet, the minutes we got from Noah Ross were outstanding. He put the clamps on Luck when it looked to me that he was starting to have his way with us.
We need everyone to be on their A game come 6 pm tonight.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
03-06-2023 09:16 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2023 09:16 AM)Proff Wrote:  Nick Farrar was indeed deserving of the Toughness Chain. Good job, Nick!
Although he didn't have much on his stat sheet, the minutes we got from Noah Ross were outstanding. He put the clamps on Luck when it looked to me that he was starting to have his way with us.
We need everyone to be on their A game come 6 pm tonight.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
The team was a +12 with him on the floor.(Ross) Also, the fact that this was the first time Nick got the chain is a joke, he's won at least 3 games for us by my count
03-06-2023 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.