Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should FBS teams to play FCS teams in Spring games? Create an August preseason game?
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
Should FBS teams to play FCS teams in Spring games? Create an August preseason game?
https://youtu.be/gAoEkg8qvhI

I think this would be a good option, especially if conferences start considering 10 conference games. This video doesn't discuss the 2nd option, but I wouldn't be opposed to creating a fall preseason where a P5 team plays a G5 team in early-mid August spread out over 2 or 3 weeks.

This help the P5 maintain 1-2 G5 games (1 as a preseason game), 1-2 P5 non-conference games, and 10 conference games. TV partners would probably enjoy 2 extra games to air while helping the FCS/G5 teams maintain exposure and get their paycheck.

Obviously, starters will play up to a half in the spring and maybe a few drives in the fall so they wouldn't get took much additional workload if any while giving the 2nd and 3rd string extra reps. It's an extra opportunity for fans to watch their team play.
02-23-2023 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
RE: Should FBS teams to play FCS teams in Spring games? Create an August preseason game?
(02-23-2023 10:30 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  https://youtu.be/gAoEkg8qvhI

I think this would be a good option, especially if conferences start considering 10 conference games. This video doesn't discuss the 2nd option, but I wouldn't be opposed to creating a fall preseason where a P5 team plays a G5 team in early-mid August spread out over 2 or 3 weeks.

This help the P5 maintain 1-2 G5 games (1 as a preseason game), 1-2 P5 non-conference games, and 10 conference games. TV partners would probably enjoy 2 extra games to air while helping the FCS/G5 teams maintain exposure and get their paycheck.

Obviously, starters will play up to a half in the spring and maybe a few drives in the fall so they wouldn't get took much additional workload if any while giving the 2nd and 3rd string extra reps. It's an extra opportunity for fans to watch their team play.

No.

Spring games are fun, in-house, traditions and productions. No one wants to see Austin Peay and there's no point paying an FCS team to participate.

No one cares about anything that's labeled as preseason. If you want to move the calendar up to week zero and schedule more of those games, yes there's an appetite for that as we're all CFB junkies and will consume it. But the minute you call it preseason, it might as well be a televised scrimmage.
02-23-2023 10:41 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Should FBS teams to play FCS teams in Spring games? Create an August preseason game?

Do you watch NFL preseason games? starters pretty much now do not play at all.
02-23-2023 10:42 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I think and FBS v FCS preseason game would be a good idea.

FCS schools still get paid, FBS schools don't waste one of their 12 games
02-23-2023 10:50 AM
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(02-23-2023 10:50 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I think and FBS v FCS preseason game would be a good idea.

FCS schools still get paid, FBS schools don't waste one of their 12 games

If fbs schools thought they were wasting a game, they simply wouldn't schedule an fcs. And preseason games in a sport determined by committee rankings seems like a bad idea. Sure it was a preseason game but is the committee truly going to pretend they don't know what happened and not be influenced by it? If you want another game, just add another real week to the season.

And the spring game idea from op is so silly. Why do fbs teams need to schedule anyone for those? Where do they benefit from it? The idea of spring buy games assumes big schools pay fcs/g5 guarantee games out of charity or something.
02-23-2023 11:01 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Online
All American

I Root For: Texas State
The only reason the FCS games (and G5 games for the P5) get scheduled to begin with is to pad the W column. If you make them not count then why would any school risk injuring players and waste money from their budget on playing a meaningless game?
02-23-2023 11:03 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(02-23-2023 11:03 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  The only reason the FCS games (and G5 games for the P5) get scheduled to begin with is to pad the W column. If you make them not count then why would any school risk injuring players and waste money from their budget on playing a meaningless game?

Yup.

All these "ideas" (Moving FCS to Spring, pre-season games, etc) don't have a lick of common sense or fully thought out among them.

Don't want to play FCS? Don't schedule them. Don't want to play G5? Don't schedule them.
02-23-2023 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Online
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(02-23-2023 11:38 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(02-23-2023 11:03 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  The only reason the FCS games (and G5 games for the P5) get scheduled to begin with is to pad the W column. If you make them not count then why would any school risk injuring players and waste money from their budget on playing a meaningless game?

Yup.

All these "ideas" (Moving FCS to Spring, pre-season games, etc) don't have a lick of common sense or fully thought out among them.

Don't want to play FCS? Don't schedule them. Don't want to play G5? Don't schedule them.

I'm not sure that FCS in the spring wouldn't be a good thing though, assuming it led to an increase in tv coverage and a deal with actual TV money. I totally understand why it would and should never happen though.
02-23-2023 11:50 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(02-23-2023 11:50 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(02-23-2023 11:38 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Yup.

I'm not sure that FCS in the spring wouldn't be a good thing though, assuming it led to an increase in tv coverage and a deal with actual TV money. I totally understand why it would and should never happen though.

No one would play. Good players aren't going to want to play off-brand. It would be like the XFL - novelty for players with no shot at the pros.

And no chance to play other divisions.
02-23-2023 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(02-23-2023 10:42 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Do you watch NFL preseason games? starters pretty much now do not play at all.

Yeah - note that the NFL has already eliminated one preseason game and will very likely eliminate another one in favor of adding an 18th regular season game. There are quotes directly from the NFL where they're openly saying, "This preseason product isn't worth our time and we're leaving value on the table."

At the same time, as others have said, the value of an FCS opponent to an FBS team is that the game actually COUNTS for bowl eligibility. Without that component, what little interest in those FBS/FCS games would be extinguished entirely.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 12:13 PM by Frank the Tank.)
02-23-2023 12:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
Why does this subject resurface in a new thread every couple of weeks?
02-23-2023 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.