Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News The Real Origins of the Religious Right
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
The Real Origins of the Religious Right
But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/...ns-107133/
01-29-2023 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
RE: The Real Origins of the Religious Right
(01-29-2023 02:02 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs...ous-right/

I doubt you'll read this because you're the type of person that believes in the Great Switch propagandist tale where one night back in the 1960's, both parties got together, someone waved a magic wand, and then the next day, Republicans became racist, and Democrats became champions of civil rights, even though the opposite is true as real history would show us. Serial liars like you infuriate me. All you have is hatred in your heart for people who think differently from you politically.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2023 07:49 AM by andybible1995.)
01-29-2023 02:25 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
(01-29-2023 02:02 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.

Any true Christian with a conscience and an ounce of morality knows abortion is a sin. Christians don’t need a leader from any sect or background to tell them this. This article is clown worthy.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023 02:31 PM by BlueDragon.)
01-29-2023 02:31 PM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC

This rates just a notch below men getting pregnant as the stupidest thing I think I've ever read.
01-29-2023 02:41 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Low IQ Mensa
01-29-2023 02:50 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(01-29-2023 02:50 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  No IQ Mensa

FIFY
01-29-2023 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

I see the lovers of for profit baby killing are getting desperate.
01-29-2023 03:11 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Baal sends his minions to promote his lies. These fools will be consumed themselves, but they don't even know it.
01-29-2023 03:27 PM
Marc Mensa Online

(01-29-2023 03:11 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Just pointing out fact…

01-29-2023 04:02 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-29-2023 02:41 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

This rates just a notch below men getting pregnant as the stupidest thing I think I've ever read.

Its not that bad. But its pretty stupid. It starts talking about seg academies as the driver. More of this nonsense that race drives everything.

I had a college roommate in the mid-70s who was a fundamentalist Christian. They were really worked up about Roe v. Wade. Nobody outside Georgia knew who Jimmy Carter was then.

Its just another one of those articles where people on the left prove just how unbelievably ignorant they are of those who aren't on the left and make themselves look stupid writing about the other side.
01-29-2023 04:04 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
It's very true that abortion didn't become the political hot potato it now is, until after the rise of the religious right in the GOP with their zeal to seize control of government and impose their moral choices on everyone. Back in the 1970s, both before and after Roe, the Southern Baptists passed multiple resolutions emphasizing that abortion was ultimately a choice between a woman and her doctor -

https://theconversation.com/the-history-...ion-183712
01-29-2023 04:14 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(01-29-2023 04:02 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

Just pointing out fact…

From MSLSD?? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
01-29-2023 04:25 PM
Marc Mensa Online

(01-29-2023 04:25 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(01-29-2023 04:02 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

Just pointing out fact…

From MSLSD?? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

It is well documented, regardless of preference of source, tax exempt status for segregation academies was “the galvanizing issue” for southern evangelicals from 1954 until 7 years after the passage of Roe. Falwell & the Moral Majority saw the impact the issue had on Democrats in the Rust Belt with Catholic voters & decided it would be a more uniting issue than segregation in the ‘80 election. Abortion is, and always was, a political issue for leaders of the Evangelical movement.
01-29-2023 05:40 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
This article is really over-simplifying it. This is a really good article on it: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/6/2/451 It's very long too but very informative

The Democrats were the Party originally for abortion b/c it was considered a minority right. Feminists convinced them their rights were more important & they should be the ones who get to decide.

Protestants were more divided on the issue, didn't care, or considered it a gray area. Even if they allowed it, it was only in extreme cases like rape.

"When abortion law reformers ceased calling for a modest liberalization of existing abortion laws and began demanding a repeal of almost all restrictions on abortion, evangelicals reacted in horror and decided that the right-to-life movement was worthy of more consideration than they had initially thought. The removal of almost all legal restrictions on first and second-trimester abortions in New York in 1970 was particularly troubling, since it quickly led to nearly 200,000 legal abortions per year in New York’s hospitals........ the poll revealed, 80 percent of Southern Baptist pastors opposed the removal of all restrictions on abortion in the first trimester.......As the number of legal abortions per year in the United States rose from fewer than 750,000 in 1973 to more than 1.5 million in 1980, and as abortion clinics sprang up even in such Bible Belt cities as Birmingham, Alabama, evangelicals who had expressed mere ambivalence or discomfort about abortion reconsidered their stance and decided to join the pro-life side"

This article seems pretty unbiased to me & going straight for the facts. There's no denying Protestants & Catholics were at odds over it, but to say Protestants used to be pro-choice or changed their mind b/c of race is nonsense.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023 06:00 PM by Bronco'14.)
01-29-2023 05:55 PM
Marc Mensa Online

(01-29-2023 05:55 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  This article is really over-simplifying it. This is a really good article on it: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/6/2/451 It's very long too but very informative

The Democrats were the Party originally for abortion b/c it was considered a minority right. Feminists convinced them their rights were more important & they should be the ones who get to decide.

Protestants were more divided on the issue, didn't care, or considered it a gray area. Even if they allowed it, it was only in extreme cases like rape.

"When abortion law reformers ceased calling for a modest liberalization of existing abortion laws and began demanding a repeal of almost all restrictions on abortion, evangelicals reacted in horror and decided that the right-to-life movement was worthy of more consideration than they had initially thought. The removal of almost all legal restrictions on first and second-trimester abortions in New York in 1970 was particularly troubling, since it quickly led to nearly 200,000 legal abortions per year in New York’s hospitals........ the poll revealed, 80 percent of Southern Baptist pastors opposed the removal of all restrictions on abortion in the first trimester.......As the number of legal abortions per year in the United States rose from fewer than 750,000 in 1973 to more than 1.5 million in 1980, and as abortion clinics sprang up even in such Bible Belt cities as Birmingham, Alabama, evangelicals who had expressed mere ambivalence or discomfort about abortion reconsidered their stance and decided to join the pro-life side"

This article seems pretty unbiased to me & going straight for the facts. There's no denying Protestants & Catholics were at odds over it, but to say Protestants used to be pro-choice or changed their mind b/c of race is nonsense.

From your posted article….
“Many of the Catholics who formed the first anti-abortion organizations in the late 1960s were liberal Democrats who viewed their campaign to save the unborn as a rights-based movement that was fully in keeping with the principles of New Deal and Great Society liberalism, but when evangelical Protestants joined the movement in the late 1970s, they reframed the pro-life cause as a politically conservative campaign linked not to the ideology of human rights but to the politics of moral order and “family values.”
01-29-2023 06:02 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

(01-29-2023 06:02 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(01-29-2023 05:55 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  This article is really over-simplifying it. This is a really good article on it: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/6/2/451 It's very long too but very informative

“Many of the Catholics who formed the first anti-abortion organizations in the late 1960s were liberal Democrats who viewed their campaign to save the unborn as a rights-based movement that was fully in keeping with the principles of New Deal and Great Society liberalism, but when evangelical Protestants joined the movement in the late 1970s, they reframed the pro-life cause as a politically conservative campaign linked not to the ideology of human rights but to the politics of moral order and “family values.”

Perhaps you missed my quote . You clearly didn't read the article.

Abortion on demand that Democrats like was almost always opposed by Protestants.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023 06:07 PM by Bronco'14.)
01-29-2023 06:05 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Your article suggests that the previous articles are being deceitful about the Southern Baptist resolutions. All but a small handful of people now think rape, incest and the health of the mother are legitimate exceptions. That is not being pro-abortion. Roe v. Wade made any reason acceptable within their time frames.

The articles just are totally contradictory to what I knew from knowing evangelicals in the 70s. And they don't even seem to understand that the SBC is not all "evangelicals." Actually the SBC is kind of the left wing of evangelicals.

"... When the Southern Baptist Convention passed a resolution in 1971 condemning legislation that would remove all restrictions on abortion, it called not for the restoration of absolutist abortion prohibitions in response but for the passage of the sort of “therapeutic” abortion laws that most evangelicals had favored in the late 1960s. Abortion should be legal, the SBC said, in cases of “rape, incest, clear evidence of severe fetal deformity, and carefully ascertained evidence of the likelihood of damage to the emotional, mental, and physical health of the mother”—a stance that was very close to the position that Christianity Today had taken prior to 1970 [99]. It was also the stance taken by the vast majority of Southern Baptist pastors, according to a Baptist Viewpoint poll of 1970. As the poll revealed, 80 percent of Southern Baptist pastors opposed the removal of all restrictions on abortion in the first trimester (the position later mandated by Roe v. Wade), but 70 percent favored allowing abortion in cases where it was necessary to preserve a woman’s health, and 71 percent favored legalizing it in cases of rape or incest. Such a stance, the SBC declared, maintained a “high view of the sanctity of human life, including fetal life,” while still allowing for abortion in exceptional circumstances ..."
01-29-2023 06:21 PM
Marc Mensa Online

(01-29-2023 06:05 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  

Perhaps you missed my quote . You clearly didn't read the article.

Abortion on demand that Democrats like was almost always opposed by Protestants.

The point I initially made is only further reinforced by the article posted. Abortion was not an issue for Evangelicals until the Moral Majority determined in the late 1970’s it could be a winning political issue. Until then, their focus was on reestablishing tax exempt status for segregation academies in the South… many of which, like Briarcrest Baptist School in Memphis, were part of a Southern Baptist church.

https://www.baptistpress.com/resource-li...-pro-life/
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023 06:41 PM by Marc Mensa.)
01-29-2023 06:34 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

Perhaps you missed my quote
01-29-2023 06:41 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
(01-29-2023 06:21 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Your article suggests that the previous articles are being deceitful about the Southern Baptist resolutions. All but a small handful of people now think rape, incest and the health of the mother are legitimate exceptions. That is not being pro-abortion. Roe v. Wade made any reason acceptable within their time frames.

The articles just are totally contradictory to what I knew from knowing evangelicals in the 70s. And they don't even seem to understand that the SBC is not all "evangelicals." Actually the SBC is kind of the left wing of evangelicals.

"... When the Southern Baptist Convention passed a resolution in 1971 condemning legislation that would remove all restrictions on abortion, it called not for the restoration of absolutist abortion prohibitions in response but for the passage of the sort of “therapeutic” abortion laws that most evangelicals had favored in the late 1960s. Abortion should be legal, the SBC said, in cases of “rape, incest, clear evidence of severe fetal deformity, and carefully ascertained evidence of the likelihood of damage to the emotional, mental, and physical health of the mother”—a stance that was very close to the position that Christianity Today had taken prior to 1970 [99]. It was also the stance taken by the vast majority of Southern Baptist pastors, according to a Baptist Viewpoint poll of 1970. As the poll revealed, 80 percent of Southern Baptist pastors opposed the removal of all restrictions on abortion in the first trimester (the position later mandated by Roe v. Wade), but 70 percent favored allowing abortion in cases where it was necessary to preserve a woman’s health, and 71 percent favored legalizing it in cases of rape or incest. Such a stance, the SBC declared, maintained a “high view of the sanctity of human life, including fetal life,” while still allowing for abortion in exceptional circumstances ..."

Unfortunately for the women in those states, that "small handful of people" includes majorities of the legislature in states like Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas. Those 9 states all have strict anti-abortion laws that don't contain exceptions for rape and/or incest, and several other states are still trying to enact similar restrictions but are embroiled in court battles.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/natio...s/3259835/
01-29-2023 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.