Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Predict the top 4 Sun Belt men's basketball teams
Bookmark and Share
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Predict the top 4 Sun Belt men's basketball teams
When the rubber meets the road, who do you think will be the final four teams that get the bye in the Sun Belt basketball tournament?

According to NET it SHOULD be Louisiana, James Madison, Southern Miss and Marshall.

As of 1-22 it is Marshall, Southern Miss, Louisiana and a three way tie of ULM, Troy and Georgia Southern.

So my friends, when the rubber meets the road, and all the dust settles, who will be the top four teams?
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023 11:09 AM by rileylives.)
01-22-2023 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

RE: Predict the top 4 Sun Belt basketball teams
In no particular order, I think it will be Southern Miss, Louisiana, Marshall and Troy

Georgia Southern in the thick of it...

JMU has too far of a hill to climb, and ULM has a nasty schedule this week that could drag them down the ranks.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023 11:15 AM by rileylives.)
01-22-2023 11:14 AM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
1) Louisiana
4) JMU
3) Southern Miss.
2) Marshall

“Bracket”
01-22-2023 11:56 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
in no particular order + based on muh eyeballs, one of the following will be the conference champ....

mustard buzzards
marsha
ewe-la-la
helen-o-troy

disclaimer: a healthy Alvarez is now going to put y'all's pansies in a tizzy moving forward ... you'll love his hair, too ... 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
01-22-2023 12:08 PM
stinkfist Offline

(01-22-2023 11:56 AM)Big Buds Wrote:  1) Louisiana
4) JMU
3) Southern Miss.
2) Marshall

“Bracket”

the 'lionless' is too small ... if ya have the horses, ya play man perimeter and force 'em to come inside ... leave 'em open outside, and they'll torch ya...

they can't hang with the top four unless the refs go foul crazy...
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023 12:12 PM by stinkfist.)
01-22-2023 12:11 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Unfortunately, I think what's much more likely is we'll get a random team like Georgia Southern to win the conference....

Whoever's hot....
01-22-2023 12:11 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(01-22-2023 12:11 PM)rileylives Wrote:  Unfortunately, I think what's much more likely is we'll get a random team like Georgia Southern to win the conference....

Whoever's hot....

the 'disclaimer' is always the 'outlet pass' for the contrarian ... 03-wink
01-22-2023 12:15 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
Still far too much basketball to be played for me to predict the order but I would say

Marshall
Southern Miss
Troy
ULL

JMU could certainly jump up into that group as well if they can get a little better consistency.

ULM is going to falter down the stretch. It's not a question of "if" but "when". There is almost zero chance that we can keep playing 7 and have the legs to finish. My only hope is that we can do enough to stay in the top half of the conference. We've already exceeded any expectations I had for this season so I'll try not to lose my **** as the season turns south. Yesterday you could tell they were wearing down when they started standing around more, throwing up bad shots, and missing rebounds. I think Keith is seeing that because the bench got more minutes yesterday than they have the entire rest of the season combined. Maybe they'll get enough rest to give Marshall a solid game on Thursday.
01-22-2023 12:18 PM
stinkfist Offline

(01-22-2023 12:18 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  Still far too much basketball to be played for me to predict the order but I would say

Marshall
Southern Miss
Troy
ULL

JMU could certainly jump up into that group as well if they can get a little better consistency.

ULM is going to falter down the stretch. It's not a question of "if" but "when". There is almost zero chance that we can keep playing 7 and have the legs to finish. My only hope is that we can do enough to stay in the top half of the conference. We've already exceeded any expectations I had for this season so I'll try not to lose my **** as the season turns south. Yesterday you could tell they were wearing down when they started standing around more, throwing up bad shots, and missing rebounds. I think Keith is seeing that because the bench got more minutes yesterday than they have the entire rest of the season combined. Maybe they'll get enough rest to give Marshall a solid game on Thursday.

you nailed it ... a lot of games left ... we just got a guard off the IR ... depth is going to play large down the stretch ... any injury to any top squad could become a 'crippler'...
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023 12:27 PM by stinkfist.)
01-22-2023 12:27 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(01-22-2023 12:18 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  Still far too much basketball to be played for me to predict the order but I would say

Marshall
Southern Miss
Troy
ULL

Let me give you some hope, Marshall doesn't run a very deep bench either, in fact I believe they said on the broadcast yesterday we currently have the number one two and three minutes logged players in the entire conference.

It is feasibly possible to run 7 deep if they can stay healthy, one of the reasons we faltered some yesterday was our center Handlogten is still recovering from the flu.... Yet still played limited minutes.
01-22-2023 12:48 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
(01-22-2023 12:48 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

Marshall
Southern Miss
Troy
ULL

Let me give you some hope, Marshall doesn't run a very deep bench either, in fact I believe they said on the broadcast yesterday we currently have the number one two and three minutes logged players in the entire conference.

It is feasibly possible to run 7 deep if they can stay healthy, one of the reasons we faltered some yesterday was our center Handlogten is still recovering from the flu.... Yet still played limited minutes.
There's one big difference. Your guys have more talent.
01-22-2023 12:50 PM
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

(01-22-2023 12:50 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  

Marshall
Southern Miss
Troy
ULL

There's one big difference. Your guys have more talent.

Coaching matters too, and it looks like your team is buying into whatever system you're running.
01-22-2023 01:00 PM
stinkfist Offline

Marshall
Southern Miss
Troy
ULL

getting Alvarez back was a game changer for southern miss ... yesterday, we only had one guy play over 30 mins .... yeah, we're now at 8-9 deep in 'prevent D' when the refs go foul crazy or not...

y'all are in trouble, gals ... 05-stirthepot
01-22-2023 01:24 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Don't sleep on App St. Just sayin'.
01-22-2023 02:00 PM
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
Very hypothetical here but we have three teams with 4 losses. Assuming one of those teams won out and then lost a game in the conference tournament, I’d assume we may get two teams in the with a team that didn’t win the tournament only having 5 losses. Could any of those three teams still make it without winning the tournament if they suffer another regular season loss? Two more regular season losses? What is that threshold? UNT had 7 last year and didn’t make it so I’d imagine the answer is either one more regular season loss or none. Thoughts?
01-22-2023 02:03 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(01-22-2023 02:03 PM)High Country Student Wrote:  Very hypothetical here but we have three teams with 4 losses. Assuming one of those teams won out and then lost a game in the conference tournament, I’d assume we may get two teams in the with a team that didn’t win the tournament only having 5 losses. Could any of those three teams still make it without winning the tournament if they suffer another regular season loss? Two more regular season losses? What is that threshold? UNT had 7 last year and didn’t make it so I’d imagine the answer is either one more regular season loss or none. Thoughts?

No, not this year.

Southern Miss does have the best resume, but even then unlikely.
01-22-2023 02:08 PM
Advertisement

Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
(01-22-2023 02:03 PM)High Country Student Wrote:  Very hypothetical here but we have three teams with 4 losses. Assuming one of those teams won out and then lost a game in the conference tournament, I’d assume we may get two teams in the with a team that didn’t win the tournament only having 5 losses. Could any of those three teams still make it without winning the tournament if they suffer another regular season loss? Two more regular season losses? What is that threshold? UNT had 7 last year and didn’t make it so I’d imagine the answer is either one more regular season loss or none. Thoughts?

If they have 5 total losses and lose the championship game maybe. I think only USM in that case and only if Vanderbilt becomes a quad 1 win. Which they are about 10 spots away from being right now giving USM 2 total quad 1 wins. No other team has the quad 1 wins needed to get into the tourney.

NCAA has stated that having quad 1 wins and more than one is pretty much the biggest criteria for getting into the tourney. 0 quad 1 wins certainly wont cut it.

I doubt USM wins out though and even if we do I don't know if we would get in.

Maybe Sun Belt could get a couple of teams in the NIT and build off that though.
01-22-2023 02:13 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Predict the top 4 Sun Belt basketball teams
Not us.

Sent from my SM-F936U using Tapatalk
01-22-2023 02:28 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
I sure hope we can get in there, the opening is getting narrower though and when the tournament rolls around we might really be kicking ourselves for those App State and TXST performances. I think Southern Miss and Marshall are very likely to take two of those spots at this point and obviously Louisiana is in good shape to take another.

I'll take the easy way out and pick the current top three to hold on to three of the top four seeds. Then I'll take the optimistic route and say JMU will get the other double bye, but it's a tough call.

I'll pick:
1. Southern Miss
2. Marshall
3. JMU
4. Louisiana

Edit: I'll throw in a WBB prediction while I'm at it.
1. JMU
2. Troy
3. Georgia Southern
4. Southern Miss
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023 02:38 PM by KickItToScotty.)
01-22-2023 02:33 PM
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
(01-22-2023 02:08 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

No, not this year.

Southern Miss does have the best resume, but even then unlikely.

So a 29-5 Marshall, Southern Miss or UL team that lose the tournament championship game doesn’t make the NCAA tournament?
01-22-2023 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.