Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Transformation Committee Latest Recommendations
Bookmark and Share
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
NCAA Transformation Committee Latest Recommendations

01-03-2023 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lamar
RE: NCAA Transformation Committee Latest Recommendations
Personally, I don't see a need to expand it further, unless there is a cap of some sort placed on conferences total teams allowed. My suspicion is that it would create byes for the top teams and more play in games which basically only takes away from the other post season tournaments.
01-03-2023 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(01-03-2023 07:23 PM)FirstandGoal Wrote:  Personally, I don't see a need to expand it further, unless there is a cap of some sort placed on conferences total teams allowed. My suspicion is that it would create byes for the top teams and more play in games which basically only takes away from the other post season tournaments.

I wouldn’t mind that, but I would mind more middling ACC and SEC teams getting in. Unless the WAC, CUSA, and others are given 2 bids, no expansion. We all know, they want more P6 teams in.
01-03-2023 08:48 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
I just don't want to see a lot of "play in" games because having to play so many extra games wears out a team causing less interesting game scores later in the tourney.
01-03-2023 10:52 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
(01-03-2023 10:52 PM)RCI Wrote:  I just don't want to see a lot of "play in" games because having to play so many extra games wears out a team causing less interesting game scores later in the tourney.

If they extend the NCAA another week, it should not be an issue. instead of four play-in games to get from 68 to 64, one game per region, it would be 12 play-in games with four per region to get from 90 to 64.

The only two things that would be a no-go on expansion for me would be if the selection committee simply added more P6 schools without throwing a bone the mid-major's direction. And if the play-in games were designed to pit two mid-majors against each other while auto-advancing most of the P6 schools to the round of 64.
01-03-2023 11:06 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
(01-03-2023 11:06 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(01-03-2023 10:52 PM)RCI Wrote:  I just don't want to see a lot of "play in" games because having to play so many extra games wears out a team causing less interesting game scores later in the tourney.

If they extend the NCAA another week, it should not be an issue. instead of four play-in games to get from 68 to 64, one game per region, it would be 12 play-in games with four per region to get from 90 to 64.

The only two things that would be a no-go on expansion for me would be if the selection committee simply added more P6 schools without throwing a bone the mid-major's direction. And if the play-in games were designed to pit two mid-majors against each other while auto-advancing most of the P6 schools to the round of 64.
Completely agree with you. I don't want to see 10 out of 12 teams in a P5 conference in the tourney or padding things with 50 percent Won-Loss P6 teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2023 11:26 PM by RCI.)
01-03-2023 11:25 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Give me a a auto bid for reg season and tourney champ of all leagues then go from there.
01-03-2023 11:40 PM
Advertisement

FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

Watched the KU/Texas Tech game last night and the announcers were already saying the way things look right now the Big 12 might get nine of ten teams into the tournament this year.
01-04-2023 08:04 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Conference tourneys already serve as early rounds of the tourney. Just make it official and then everyone can have participated.
01-04-2023 04:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
Aye 90?! I’m fine with it at 68. If some get left out so be it. Makes it more special when it’s harder to get in. Like many I’m worried this just means places 1-8 from the P6s get in.
01-04-2023 07:35 PM
Advertisement

Pounder Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(01-04-2023 07:35 PM)YesCubanB Wrote:  Aye 90?! I’m fine with it at 68. If some get left out so be it. Makes it more special when it’s harder to get in. Like many I’m worried this just means places 1-8 from the P6s get in.

Hard for me to believe anything other than two of the P6 basically saying “you think we’re expanding in order to give everyone else our bids?”

Thing is, and sorry if I’m repeating myself here, but the NCAA leadership is muttering to itself while slightly rocking back and forth in a fetal position in a corner of an Indianapolis warehouse because any smidge of control they have is gone and the rest of whatever authority they possess is under threat of lawsuit.
01-05-2023 05:41 PM
FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

But lest we all forget, this is all about money. The NCAA gets so much money from the tournament already but want more. Imagine what another weekend of games is worth.
01-07-2023 09:24 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(01-07-2023 09:24 AM)FirstandGoal Wrote:  But lest we all forget, this is all about money. The NCAA gets so much money from the tournament already but want more. Imagine what another weekend of games is worth.

Not much because it's a lot of programs nobody cares about playing in that in play-in round, and it would eliminate most of the mid major programs that could give the big boys a scare in the Round of 64.
01-08-2023 12:49 PM
FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

(01-08-2023 12:49 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(01-07-2023 09:24 AM)FirstandGoal Wrote:  But lest we all forget, this is all about money. The NCAA gets so much money from the tournament already but want more. Imagine what another weekend of games is worth.

Not much because it's a lot of programs nobody cares about playing in that in play-in round, and it would eliminate most of the mid major programs that could give the big boys a scare in the Round of 64.
If the brackets include an additional number of non P6 schools, it actually increases the number of opportunities for the P6 schools to be upset. But financially ESPN et all will have to broadcast another weekend of games and will have to pay for broadcast rites.
01-08-2023 10:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.