Bowl viewership
12-23-2022 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
RE: Bowl viewership
1.5M for the Cure Bowl at 2PM CT on a workday isn’t terrible and shows that enough people still tune in and watch these bowls.
12-24-2022 01:38 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
As cold as it is everywhere viewership should be high this year.
12-24-2022 07:27 AM
UVA_guy81 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UVA, WKU
Doesn't look like the USA vs WKU bowl game got close to 2 million as it got around 1.2 million.
12-24-2022 10:29 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-24-2022 10:29 AM)UVA_guy81 Wrote:  Doesn't look like the USA vs WKU bowl game got close to 2 million as it got around 1.2 million.

Even if so, as others have noted, that would still be competitive with college hoops matchups of marquee teams. E.g. a couple weeks ago a Duke vs Ohio State hoops game drew about 1.2 million.
12-24-2022 12:59 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
This is why these Bowls exists. To keep degenerate fans who will watch paint dry, if it's called a football game, engaged until the bigger Bowls and playoffs. Much of December is otherwise dead for ESPN.

What's the crossover point where college Basketball draws close enough to the eyeballs on these football exhibition games that with the lower costs of production they are better programming for ESPN?
12-24-2022 01:32 PM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Stu: if you have hoops blue bloods playing OOC, people will DEFINITELY watch
12-24-2022 01:45 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(12-24-2022 01:32 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  This is why these Bowls exists. To keep degenerate fans who will watch paint dry, if it's called a football game, engaged until the bigger Bowls and playoffs. Much of December is otherwise dead for ESPN.

What's the crossover point where college Basketball draws close enough to the eyeballs on these football exhibition games that with the lower costs of production they are better programming for ESPN?

The thing is, there are already a billion and a half college hoops games on. They probably air more college hoops games just in November than they do CFB games all season.
12-24-2022 04:27 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Uh, OBVIOUSLY! The basketball season has 3X the games!
12-24-2022 04:31 PM
UVA_guy81 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UVA, WKU
(12-24-2022 12:59 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-24-2022 10:29 AM)UVA_guy81 Wrote:  Doesn't look like the USA vs WKU bowl game got close to 2 million as it got around 1.2 million.

Even if so, as others have noted, that would still be competitive with college hoops matchups of marquee teams. E.g. a couple weeks ago a Duke vs Ohio State hoops game drew about 1.2 million.

I think the basketball game preceding it (Michigan-UNC) drew like 1.7 million. Only other competition that night was wrestling it looked like. I’m also sure it didn’t help that that game had been over for a while, so people on the east coast that were watching probably turned it off in the second half and went to bed.
12-24-2022 04:54 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Helps there's not a bunch on other than reruns and Christmas shows.
12-24-2022 06:42 PM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
This is why attendance threads are stupid regarding bowl games. These are made for TV events......and TV pays the bills with these bowl games.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2022 07:03 PM by otown.)
12-24-2022 07:02 PM
Todor Online
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Look at the hundreds of cable channels out there. Nearly all would give their eye teeth to have 1.2 million viewers, even for a few hours.
12-24-2022 07:12 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(12-24-2022 07:02 PM)otown Wrote:  This is why attendance threads are stupid regarding bowl games. These are made for TV events......and TV pays the bills with these bowl games.

What’s stupid are made for TV college football games.
12-27-2022 09:58 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(12-27-2022 09:58 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  What’s stupid are made for TV college football games.

If you're upset about missing made-for-TV Hallmark Christmas specials, just ask a friend to record them.
12-28-2022 02:37 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(12-24-2022 06:42 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Helps there's not a bunch on other than reruns and Christmas shows.

Love ya, Grinch, but I'm watching UFugly get destroyed by the Beavers.
12-28-2022 02:43 AM
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Online
All American

I Root For: P4
(12-24-2022 01:32 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  This is why these Bowls exists. To keep degenerate fans who will watch paint dry, if it's called a football game, engaged until the bigger Bowls and playoffs. Much of December is otherwise dead for ESPN.

Good for those fans, but really can't wrap my head around the interest. I used to watch 95% of the bowls when I was a kid and there were around 15 games. The games are usually so bad now I can't believe 2M people are watching.
12-28-2022 09:19 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I don't see the reason for complaining about a relative handful of bowl games, when in any given week in December there are probably 5x as many meaningless college basketball games. I mean, how many four-team or eight-team "classics" or other tournaments are held in November and December? A million? And they are seemingly all on TV.

FWIW, I just randomly called up today's (12/28) hoops TV schedule. I count 10 games on national cable today (ESPN, CBS or FOX channels), 13 if we throw in games on the ACCN and SECN. And that's not counting the plethora of games on ESPN+.

13 games! On one meaningless day in late December. Sheesh.

Tomorrow? There are 9 games on national ESPN/FOX/CBS channels, 14 if we count BTN and P12N games.

So depending on how we count, there are 19 or 27 national college hoops games on just a random wednesday/thursday nights in late December. That's more than half the total Bowl Mania games.

Really, if someone wants to complain about game overload, IMO it is all college hoops.
12-28-2022 10:09 AM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(12-28-2022 09:19 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

Good for those fans, but really can't wrap my head around the interest. I used to watch 95% of the bowls when I was a kid and there were around 15 games. The games are usually so bad now I can't believe 2M people are watching.

2 million? I wonder how a lot of these bowls get a viewership of 2 people.
12-28-2022 10:30 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
People like to bet and folks get tried of talking to family members during the holidays.

Plus your options are Holiday movies, NBA which is terrible, College Bball which is just as bad or some other type rerun. Out of these choices bowl games and NFL win every time for me even if its GaSo v Buffalo or UCLA v Pitt. All are meaningless except the playoffs game in FBS, FCS, DII and any other division.
12-28-2022 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.