The Mouse cutting ESPN?
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
The Mouse cutting ESPN?
Yeah its the Hollywood Reporter but...

Mouse dropkicking ESPN
12-20-2022 05:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
RE: The Mouse cutting ESPN?
this is not close to new news

now is a dangerous time to have a long term contract with ESPN/ABC
12-20-2022 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
This prediction seems to have been generated by an analyst at Wells Fargo and has been reported by numerous outlets in the last 24 hours. I'm not sure how much stock, no pun intended, I would put in it.

Quote:Jason Bazinet, managing director at Citi, previously told Yahoo Finance Live: "We're very much against spinning off ESPN... that's the dumbest thing ever."

Bazinet went on to explain ESPN has the potential to be a much bigger global business, especially if Disney chooses to leverage the internet for distribution. He also noted the network generates the bulk of Disney's cash flow, which will ultimately fund its pivot to direct-to-consumer and help offset accelerating streaming losses.

"What Disney is embarking upon with a direct-to-consumer business is very much like a cable company or a telecom company," Bazinet said, stressing that DTC bridges the gap between the consumer and sports rights. "They should not spin it off."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-wi...29649.html
12-21-2022 03:39 AM
maybeimhere Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
I don't see why they would. They just spent so much money on buying MLB's streaming stuff the past decade, plus. Why would they give it all away?
12-21-2022 12:39 PM
Vonz90 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Navy
(12-21-2022 12:39 PM)maybeimhere Wrote:  I don't see why they would. They just spent so much money on buying MLB's streaming stuff the past decade, plus. Why would they give it all away?

They would not give it away, but if they can sell it and invest the money on other things that give a better rate of return (or more synergy with their core function, which is a different path to higher return) then why wouldn't they.

It would probably do well for their stock. The market and future for live sports is very different from the market and future for Disney's core. That muddles the value proposition and big investors don't like that.

...and just because they split does not necessarily mean it is bad for ESPN. If they are independent or combined with someone who values and knows how to grow their core business it could be very good for them. The company I work for was spun off of a larger one because we were the slow growth division the market did not like, but once we were independent and could reinvest instead of being a cash cow we actually ended up growing faster than company we were spun off from
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 01:19 PM by Vonz90.)
12-21-2022 01:15 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(12-21-2022 01:15 PM)Vonz90 Wrote:  
(12-21-2022 12:39 PM)maybeimhere Wrote:  I don't see why they would. They just spent so much money on buying MLB's streaming stuff the past decade, plus. Why would they give it all away?

They would not give it away, but if they can sell it and invest the money on other things that give a better rate of return (or more synergy with their core function, which is a different path to higher return) then why wouldn't they.

It would probably do well for their stock. The market and future for live sports is very different from the market and future for Disney's core. That muddles the value proposition and big investors don't like that.

...and just because they split does not necessarily mean it is bad for ESPN. If they are independent or combined with someone who values and knows how to grow their core business it could be very good for them. The company I work for was spun off of a larger one because we were the slow growth division the market did not like, but once we were independent and could reinvest instead of being a cash cow we actually ended up growing faster than company we were spun off from

that is exactly what this is about and one of their major investors has been after them for a while to do it, but he has sense backed off

I think he is about to start up the push for it again though

disney and espn are probably one of the worst streaming companies there is their product quality is just junk

they are going to soon be faced with having to over pay comcrap for the rest of hulu or hoping to possibly sell their share to comcrap for a low valuation to get out of the forced purchase and out from owning hulu fully (or at all)

their theme parks and resorts are doing better, but of course took a major hit for a while and they have finally admitted their overall theme park experience is pay a lot to wait in massive lines and garbage overall

cable subs will continue to decline, channel cramming is going to get pushed back against more and more, and with junk quality streaming and massive bloat espn/abc and their other networks have issues even if they do bring in revenues and free cash

they massively overpaid for the Fox assets and got a lot less then expected for the regional spin offs (Ballys now)

if they spin them off espn/abc they will probably load them down with a lot of debt too

if companies that can remotely run a streaming service and do it without massive bloat step in to sports and that can to target marketing well they are in bigger trouble and I don't think disney wants to see how all that plays out long term because I think they know they are not the ones to get it done
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 09:09 PM by TodgeRodge.)
12-21-2022 09:07 PM
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Disney has put a lot of resources into their streaming services. ESPN and sports bring in the cash.

I used to think that Disney managed their intellectual property well. With the exception of ESPN, I am not sure the company does. Disney+ is struggling. Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel have become mortal. There are going to be some tough decisions made by management.

Maybe Elon Musk will double down, buy ABC News and ESPN, make Twitter a true media company. 04-cheers

Maybe Apple uses some of its cash and makes Apple+ a true streaming player with ABC and ESPN.

Quote:.Disney buys MLB's stake in streaming firm BAMTech for $900 mln. Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) disclosed on Tuesday that it has taken full control of BAMTech, a video-streaming firm spun off from Major League Baseball's digital media company MLB Advanced Media.

Disney earlier this month purchased the remaining stake in BAMTech from Major League Baseball for $900 million, the company said in a SEC filing.

Previous to the transaction, streaming technology services provider BAMTech was owned 85% by Disney and 15% by Major League Baseball (MLB).

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/di...22-11-30/.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2022 10:38 AM by chess.)
12-22-2022 10:35 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
While Disney+ continues to grow...their losses are mounting...as it lost $1.5 Billion in the last quarter.

New (and formerly retired CEO) Bob Iger should be more profitability side to most of Disney's accounts/divisions...as he is cutting a ton of dead weight and focusing getting Disney back to basics: Family Fun.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...spn-chapek
12-22-2022 11:01 AM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt is glad to see Sunday ticket going to yttv
12-22-2022 09:46 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
The Mouse cutting ESPN?
I’m going to keep my Amazon Prime account
12-22-2022 10:19 PM
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I'm annoyed that Disney+ keeps putting woke references into several of their newer programs. Sometimes, they seem to be more subtle about it, but the far left political messaging is there. They need to knock it off with their phony virtue signaling.
12-23-2022 07:52 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(12-23-2022 07:52 PM)Golden Jedi Knight Wrote:  I'm annoyed that Disney+ keeps putting woke references into several of their newer programs. Sometimes, they seem to be more subtle about it, but the far left political messaging is there. They need to knock it off with their phony virtue signaling.

Bringing back their former CEO Bob Iger will quell some of that...as their recent regime let everything get out of control...which also impacted the bottom line.
12-24-2022 10:05 AM
Miami Pirate Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-23-2022 07:52 PM)Golden Jedi Knight Wrote:  I'm annoyed that Disney+ keeps putting woke references into several of their newer programs. Sometimes, they seem to be more subtle about it, but the far left political messaging is there. They need to knock it off with their phony virtue signaling.
Agree with this ^^^^ 300%
12-27-2022 03:45 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA

Can you explain what these "woke" references are? Because usually when people use that word it's just a way of saying something else without actually saying it.
12-27-2022 04:29 PM
b2b Online
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
(12-27-2022 04:29 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  

Can you explain what these "woke" references are? Because usually when people use that word it's just a way of saying something else without actually saying it.
Maybe you should expand on that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
12-27-2022 05:31 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
I'll wait for the response
12-27-2022 05:32 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

The Mouse cutting ESPN?
(12-27-2022 05:31 PM)b2b Wrote:  

How about we keep politics off this board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-27-2022 07:34 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

(12-27-2022 07:34 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

let's keep this about grown men talking about young men throwing a ball about, please and thank you
12-27-2022 10:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pony94 Online

The Mouse cutting ESPN?
(12-27-2022 10:25 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  
(12-27-2022 07:34 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

let's keep this about grown men talking about young men throwing a ball about, please and thank you

Hahahaha
12-27-2022 10:45 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt hopes the best for Laura Rutledge
12-27-2022 11:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.