Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Muh Ironclad GoR
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
Muh Ironclad GoR
Quote:The Big 12’s current Grant of Rights expires July 1, 2025. Oklahoma and Texas have indicated they are committed to remaining in the Big 12 until then before moving to the SEC for the 2025 season. However, that timetable has since been accelerated and could even get completed by next month, sources said. ...

the “climate is right” for the Sooners and Longhorns to exit the Big 12 after the 2023 season and begin play in the SEC in 2024.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/okla...early-2024

BUT CRACKS
12-12-2022 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Muh Ironclad GoR
Not a crack at all... negotiating a buyout.

Quote:“There have been ongoing discussions to find a way for Texas and OU to leave early without costing (the Big 12) any money,” an industry source said. “However, everyone has to be made whole.”

How everyone is “made whole” is the biggest sticking point for all parties.

Big 12 bylaws require Oklahoma and Texas to pay an exit fee the sum of the league’s distribution for two years — which is about $84 million per school, sources said. Historically, when a school leaves a conference, that exit fee is negotiated down to about 60%, meaning OU and Texas could possibly get out for about $50 million each.

OU, Texas and the Big 12 have been involved in discussions for months but still have not reached a final agreement on the schools’ buyout amount, sources said.
12-12-2022 12:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(12-12-2022 12:13 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Not a crack at all... negotiating a buyout.

Quote:“There have been ongoing discussions to find a way for Texas and OU to leave early without costing (the Big 12) any money,” an industry source said. “However, everyone has to be made whole.”

How everyone is “made whole” is the biggest sticking point for all parties.

Big 12 bylaws require Oklahoma and Texas to pay an exit fee the sum of the league’s distribution for two years — which is about $84 million per school, sources said. Historically, when a school leaves a conference, that exit fee is negotiated down to about 60%, meaning OU and Texas could possibly get out for about $50 million each.

OU, Texas and the Big 12 have been involved in discussions for months but still have not reached a final agreement on the schools’ buyout amount, sources said.

Exactly.

A buy out for 1 year only.

If the playoff can expand early, then a buyout for one year can certainly happen.

07-coffee3
12-12-2022 01:19 PM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
If Texas and OU wait it out until 2025, the remaining members get no payout relating to the GOR. I assume that they would get the customary exit fee. I also assume Fox and ESPN would be entitled to reduce their television rights payments by some amount that could cost existing conference members some amount. However, it seems likely that given the size of the buyout, there is solution space for Texas and OU to make some payment that is less than the full $84 million that would be a net gain to the remaining members of the B12. If so, a deal will get done.
12-12-2022 01:27 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
ESPN would be obligated to pay Texas and Oklahoma "SEC" rate instead of the "big 12 rate" if they moved early. It doesn't seem that the mouse can make up that much income in one year just by having Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC.
Everybody wants what they want, but nobody seems willing to pay (or give up income) to make it happen.
12-12-2022 01:49 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(12-12-2022 01:27 PM)orangefan Wrote:  If Texas and OU wait it out until 2025, the remaining members get no payout relating to the GOR. I assume that they would get the customary exit fee. I also assume Fox and ESPN would be entitled to reduce their television rights payments by some amount that could cost existing conference members some amount. However, it seems likely that given the size of the buyout, there is solution space for Texas and OU to make some payment that is less than the full $84 million that would be a net gain to the remaining members of the B12. If so, a deal will get done.

^^^ THIS ^^^
It's all math from here.
12-12-2022 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.