Skip to content
Using Gmail with screen readers
1 of 13,383
From the Desk of AD Laird Veatch
Inbox
Memphis Athletics <updates@news.gotigersgo.com>

13:00 (1 hour ago)

to jesse
If you are having trouble reading this email, read the online version.
Tiger Nation,

With the regular season behind us and our ninth-consecutive bowl game on the horizon, I wanted to take the opportunity to reach out to you, our fans, and provide some perspective on our football program. As Coach Silverfield stated recently, bowl eligibility is our minimum standard. But he, I and everyone in the Memphis Football family are not striving for minimum standards. To be clear, our shared goal and expectation remain for Memphis to be the top program in our conference and compete annually on the national stage.

We have real, tangible reasons to be optimistic about next year and the future of our program under Coach Silverfield’s leadership. We have a strong core group of returning players at key positions. We have a demonstrated track record of strong recruiting and expect that momentum to continue. Perhaps most importantly, our players truly care and never give up. This was evidenced to me by how clearly painful each loss was in the locker room after games, especially this last one at SMU. The special young men in this program believe in Coach Silverfield, his staff and each other.

While we are all proud to be at a place where we have reached our ninth-straight bowl game, we know that “just okay” is not okay. While we all watched games where we were incredibly close to additional victories, we know that close is not good enough. I am confident that Coach Silverfield will critically assess himself and his program and identify and make the specific necessary adjustments to turn those close losses into victories. Our administrative leadership team and I have already begun discussions with Coach Silverfield on how we can best continue to support him and his program moving forward as well.

We know we are at a crucial time for our program and recognize the urgent need to return to competing for championships. Having been on the staff for seven of the nine bowl trips, Coach Silverfield understands the fabric of Memphis Football and its importance to our City and our fans. We all anticipate and expect a special year in 2023, and we need you and our City to continue to embrace and support that expectation as well.

Thank you for your dedicated support and passion for Memphis Football. Let’s get a bowl game victory and look forward to signing day, spring ball and next season together!
#GoTigersGo | #MemphisRising
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
To manage which communications you would like to receive, or to unsubscribe, please click here.
Memphis Athletics respects your privacy.
Please note that by unsubscribing you are opting out of ALL email communications from Memphis Athletics.

Memphis Athletics
570 Normal Street
Memphis, TN 38152
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2022 06:50 PM by thagr82008.)
12-01-2022 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
RE: An apology for MEDIOCRITY.....
All I got was a Memphis athletic banner.
12-01-2022 02:20 PM
MemphisFootballFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Will we get an apology for this mediocre thread?
12-01-2022 02:42 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I Root For: Memphis
WTF is this you posted a Memphis athletics banner
12-01-2022 02:46 PM
MemphisFootballFan Offline
1st String

The AD just sent an email about the football program. I think he meant to post that.
12-01-2022 02:48 PM
southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
It's from an email that Mr. Veatch sent out to Tiger fans. After reading it I am convinced that the administration does read this board.
12-01-2022 02:49 PM
Advertisement

aardWolf Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2022 02:49 PM)southpaw1 Wrote:  It's from an email that Mr. Veatch sent out to Tiger fans. After reading it I am convinced that the administration does read this board.

I thought the same thing when I saw it.

I also thought that when we got email surveys sent out a day or two after we had a heated discussion on here about focus groups.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2022 03:03 PM by aardWolf.)
12-01-2022 02:54 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(12-01-2022 02:49 PM)southpaw1 Wrote:  It's from an email that Mr. Veatch sent out to Tiger fans. After reading it I am convinced that the administration does read this board.

They're going to miss all 8 opinions
12-01-2022 02:58 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(12-01-2022 02:11 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  From the AD....

None selected

Skip to content
Using Gmail with screen readers
1 of 13,383
From the Desk of AD Laird Veatch
Inbox
Memphis Athletics <updates@news.gotigersgo.com>

13:00 (1 hour ago)

to jesse
If you are having trouble reading this email, read the online version.
Tiger Nation,

With the regular season behind us and our ninth-consecutive bowl game on the horizon, I wanted to take the opportunity to reach out to you, our fans, and provide some perspective on our football program. As Coach Silverfield stated recently, bowl eligibility is our minimum standard. But he, I and everyone in the Memphis Football family are not striving for minimum standards. To be clear, our shared goal and expectation remain for Memphis to be the top program in our conference and compete annually on the national stage.

We have real, tangible reasons to be optimistic about next year and the future of our program under Coach Silverfield’s leadership. We have a strong core group of returning players at key positions. We have a demonstrated track record of strong recruiting and expect that momentum to continue. Perhaps most importantly, our players truly care and never give up. This was evidenced to me by how clearly painful each loss was in the locker room after games, especially this last one at SMU. The special young men in this program believe in Coach Silverfield, his staff and each other.

While we are all proud to be at a place where we have reached our ninth-straight bowl game, we know that “just okay” is not okay. While we all watched games where we were incredibly close to additional victories, we know that close is not good enough. I am confident that Coach Silverfield will critically assess himself and his program and identify and make the specific necessary adjustments to turn those close losses into victories. Our administrative leadership team and I have already begun discussions with Coach Silverfield on how we can best continue to support him and his program moving forward as well.

We know we are at a crucial time for our program and recognize the urgent need to return to competing for championships. Having been on the staff for seven of the nine bowl trips, Coach Silverfield understands the fabric of Memphis Football and its importance to our City and our fans. We all anticipate and expect a special year in 2023, and we need you and our City to continue to embrace and support that expectation as well.

Thank you for your dedicated support and passion for Memphis Football. Let’s get a bowl game victory and look forward to signing day, spring ball and next season together!
#GoTigersGo | #MemphisRising
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
To manage which communications you would like to receive, or to unsubscribe, please click here.
Memphis Athletics respects your privacy.
Please note that by unsubscribing you are opting out of ALL email communications from Memphis Athletics.

Memphis Athletics
570 Normal Street
Memphis, TN 38152

Post a picture of your girlfriend.
12-01-2022 04:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

So our minimum std is to win 6 games........sad & mediocre.
12-01-2022 04:30 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: An apology for MEDIOCRITY.....It's a BAD SIGN
(12-01-2022 04:30 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  So our minimum std is to win 6 games........sad & mediocre.
I think that what is going on here is more a projection of the future rather than a look at the record for this year. Think TULANE and you can perhaps get a vision.
12-03-2022 10:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerfan39 Offline
Special Teams

if the AD is smart, he wouldn't read this board. Mostly nothing but a bunch of old miserable negative nellies.

GTG
12-03-2022 10:54 AM
tigerfan39 Offline
Special Teams

(12-01-2022 04:30 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  So our minimum std is to win 6 games........sad & mediocre.

Why is a minimum of 6 wins sad? Sure, we all want 10+ but is that really even realistic?

I'm cool with 6 minimum and maximum championship with access to NYE game.
12-03-2022 10:56 AM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
My interpretation:
This is a carefully worded vote of confidence for Silverfield. There will be no HC change this season. Coach RS better win more games in 2023. But, he is here for one more year.
12-03-2022 11:04 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(12-03-2022 11:04 AM)roachman48 Wrote:  My interpretation:
This is a carefully worded vote of confidence for Silverfield. There will be no HC change this season. Coach RS better win more games in 2023. But, he is here for one more year.

The deck is arranged for this to take place, unfortunately, won't require any improvement of our staff/players/recruitment to eek out 1-2 more wins...The schedule is weak, so this barometer of measurement does NOT give a reading that we have turned this ship around from disaster...This is currently a disaster as well as quite embarrassing... Is it Larry Porter level embarrassment? No, nonetheless, it is still embarrassing....
12-03-2022 11:13 AM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(12-03-2022 11:13 AM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

The deck is arranged for this to take place, unfortunately, won't require any improvement of our staff/players/recruitment to eek out 1-2 more wins...The schedule is weak, so this barometer of measurement does NOT give a reading that we have turned this ship around from disaster...This is currently a disaster as well as quite embarrassing... Is it Larry Porter level embarrassment? No, nonetheless, it is still embarrassing....

Then let's just shut down the program. Because in over 100 years only 6 of the program's 25 coaches have better records. So the entire program has to be too embarrassing to continue.
12-03-2022 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2022 10:56 AM)tigerfan39 Wrote:  

Why is a minimum of 6 wins sad? Sure, we all want 10+ but is that really even realistic?

Because it is an acceptance of mediocrity. It means our program mgmt is satisfied to be a 6th-7th-8th place AAC program. It means our admin is satisfied with being a permanent member of a G5 conference. It means our admin is satisfied with a 15K attendance avg. It means our admin will continue to dumb down our OOC schedule to ensure 6 wins since we can't win more than 3-4 in-conference. It doesn't matter that there is "potential" for a better finish because there is little chance it will happen given the results of the last 3 seasons & acceptance of that level of performance. Sure, be cool with that, I'm not.
12-03-2022 11:30 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(12-03-2022 11:24 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(12-03-2022 11:13 AM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

Then let's just shut down the program. Because in over 100 years only 6 of the program's 25 coaches have better records. So the entire program has to be too embarrassing to continue.

Thanks for the reply, allow me to paint a picture for you...CMN put this university on a mountain...Beating UCLA 2x; beating Ole Miss (at home). This wealth of talent and coaching prowess (that CRS was a part of) was featured in a Cotton Bowl game, (that majority felt that this game would be a mismatch/disastrous outcome for Memphis) that was very winnable for Memphis. Oh, least we NOT forget, national recognition from ESPN Gameday, with a ranked matchup with SMU....

All of that momentum, from playing nationally relevant opponents, having recruits choose us because of what was built.....CRS has destroyed that....We are rapidly becoming irrelevant/inept/non-existent....From becoming one of THE MOST FEARED PROGRAMS just a few years ago...teams no longer fear Memphis, we are no longer exciting to watch....This team was recognized for the nations most dangerous return team, just a few years ago.....Now, our return team is virtually inept...Our offense was regarded as one of the most prolific/prominent offenses in the country, All of this CRS was a part of....Now, we have a 3rd down efficiency issue....Was CRS in those meetings? Does he still have some notes from those years...What about recruiting? Our recruiting was predicated off of the seasons of successes with CMN....We are about to witness recruiting from the "mediocrity" of CRS 03-idea

CRS, was the offensive-line coach with CMN, why in the hell is the offensive line performance a question mark under his leadership?.... Our running game is lame asF, as well as the passing attack, is anything but an attack 03-yawn 03-zzz

Just as Opie did to basketball, we are witnessing the same f@&%king slide in football, an inept/incapable/non accountable coach that has ruined the greatest run in MEMPHIS FOOTBALL HISTORY, This 01-rivals is quite embarrassing and depressing asF

Just a few years ago, COGS we were bragging that Memphis had shifted the dynamic and finally become the best team in Tennessee....Where are we in that dynamic now? So, although locals may NOT be realizing the embarrassment, due to a lengthy history of disappointment/despair...National pundits don't relish in that....The national pundits were a part of the crescendo of what Memphis had become....And to now become irrelevant, is an absolute disappointment.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2022 12:05 PM by thagr82008.)
12-03-2022 11:44 AM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(12-03-2022 10:50 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  
I think that what is going on here is more a projection of the future rather than a look at the record for this year. Think TULANE and you can perhaps get a vision.

think Tulane? Good grief, we’ve hit the skids…
12-03-2022 11:57 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-03-2022 11:30 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(12-03-2022 10:56 AM)tigerfan39 Wrote:  

Because it is an acceptance of mediocrity. It means our program mgmt is satisfied to be a 6th-7th-8th place AAC program. It means our admin is satisfied with being a permanent member of a G5 conference. It means our admin is satisfied with a 15K attendance avg. It means our admin will continue to dumb down our OOC schedule to ensure 6 wins since we can't win more than 3-4 in-conference. It doesn't matter that there is "potential" for a better finish because there is little chance it will happen given the results of the last 3 seasons & acceptance of that level of performance. Sure, be cool with that, I'm not.

03-lmfao01-wingedeagle04-drinky
12-03-2022 12:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.