Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mountain West question for UTEP, NMSU posters
Bookmark and Share
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
IMO time for this topic to have its own thread. Hope mods do not mind.

Initial responses--PLEASE only UTEP and NMSU fans! (SHSU, La Tech too)

They have a lot better "feel" for things out WEST.

QUESTIONS:

1.) What is the reality/ possibility that the MW adds one (or both) of your schools IF they drop to ten??

2.) Do they want you OR would they rather stay at ten?

3.) Chances of ONLY taking UTEP?

4.) Would New Mexico keep NMSU out?

5.) Would they take NDSU OVER you?

Of course this "assumes" the PAC takes one or two MW schools.

Add any other aspects of all this that I may be missing (facts, attitudes, politics, etc.).

Thanks in advance.04-rock
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2022 04:12 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-04-2022 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Mountain West question for UTEP, NMSU posters
(11-04-2022 04:06 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  IMO time for this topic to have its own thread. Hope mods do not mind.

Initial responses--PLEASE only UTEP and NMSU fans! (SHSU, La Tech too)

They have a lot better "feel" for things out WEST.

QUESTIONS:

1.) What is the reality/ possibility that the MW adds one (or both) of your schools IF they drop to ten??

Add any other aspects of all this that I may be missing (facts, attitudes, politics, etc.).

Thanks in advance.04-rock

I think they would stay at 10 for the immediate future. Both UTEP and NMSU will only be added if they lose more than 2. Just MHO.

If they lose SDSU and Boise State, their 2 most valuable programs, the MWC media value will take a big hit and neither UTEP nor NMSU can fix that.

If the 2 mentioned above do leave, I think AFA and CSU would talk to the AAC to see if they were still wanted. At that point UTEP and NMSU might be invited to keep the number up to 10.

As for NDSU, it's a possibility as are Montana and Montana State.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2022 08:23 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
11-04-2022 08:21 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

I Root For: NMSU
QUESTIONS:

Not likely... UTEP is considered the primary school in the region being located in El Paso near the airport and in the El Paso media market. The only chance both UTEP AND NMSU would get an MWC invite is if their conference dropped dangerously close the 8-team conference minimum. i.e. Two teams gone and others looking to move as well.

If none of the available schools bring enough to the MWC, they could stay at 10 members... for a while. They could also make Hawaii a full member again. In the past the exiting MWC Commish made it very apparent, NMSU does not bring enough to the table to merit consideration. To a lesser extent, UTEP was on the same boat as NMSU. With all the conference disruption, I see UTEP, New Mexico State, Montana, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Montana State, Missouri State, Sacramento State, UC Davis, Cal Poly, and unlikely but maybe Texas State as primary candidates now.

Likely, since UTEP and NMSU represent the same regional area. And UNM is considered the representative for the whole State of New Mexico by the MWC.

No, but they wouldn't help to get NMSU in the conference either. UNM has held a distinct advantage over NMSU by being in a more recognizable, more lucrative, more stable conference. They wouldn't like to give up that advantage unless absolutely necessary for the conference's survival... A scenario UTEP experienced by not obstructing NMSU's entrance into C-USA.

Probably not over UTEP or any other current Texas FBS school that might be interested in joining the MWC. But I could see NDSU jump ahead of the line over NMSU. I would also put Montana ahead of NMSU as well. Both represent new markets for the MWC.

Just something to note: Part of the reason why NMSU is lagging behind UNM is because of the New Mexico State Legislature's makeup. NMSU is not funded "proportionately" to the money UNM receives from the State. UNM gets a lot more money for capital projects and for budget bailouts. The State is much more willing to give UNM debt forgiveness. Conversely, NMSU capital project funding comes fewer and far between and to a much lesser monetary level. NMSU is expected to operate within a balanced budget and weather bad hires to almost to their complete (contract) conclusion because there are no State bailouts for bad coaching hires coming their way.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2022 11:32 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
11-04-2022 10:34 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Let’s say this scenario happens:

SDSU and Boise go the the PAC
Colorado St and AF to the AAC

Is there any chance CUSA could grab New Mexico? This is assuming the conference takes a major step forward with the new line up in the next couple of years. Let’s say we get multiple MBB teams in the NCAA and someone like Liberty gets a new years six bowl or two.
11-05-2022 10:39 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(11-05-2022 10:39 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  Let’s say this scenario happens:

SDSU and Boise go the the PAC
Colorado St and AF to the AAC

Is there any chance CUSA could grab New Mexico? This is assuming the conference takes a major step forward with the new line up in the next couple of years. Let’s say we get multiple MBB teams in the NCAA and someone like Liberty gets a new years six bowl or two.

If we ever went to 16 I wouldn’t mind seeing a 4 team far west pod. Maybe a 4 team mountain pod as well if the the MWC really fell on hard times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-05-2022 10:59 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Sounds like the consensus from the fans out West is a Whole LOT would need to happen to get into the MW.

This is good news for C-USA stability even though not as much for those two schools.

IMO we really are in for a "frozen" period in our league. I see us staying at ten for 3-4 years with no losses for a good while. Naive view -maybe- but the AAC is full and the BIG12 contract almost prohibits any G5 add. The PAC and MW both look willing to stay at ten. SBC unlikely to go to 16. MAC moves very slow and may not be appealing if C-USA can show improvements.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2022 03:09 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-05-2022 12:46 PM
Advertisement

AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
I'm not one of those to speculate about wild realignment scenarios as each one would cause different chain reactions. I just hope they either both stay or both leave. Having both makes for an easy weekend swing for basketball and volleyball. If only one stays the other is a western version of FIU.

I don't see where adding New Mexico would help unless we got a fourth western member reasonably close and I don't see who would be out there.
11-06-2022 08:31 AM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

Well, it looks like the first shoe will drop to possibly open a slot in the MWC...

11-07-2022 03:08 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(11-07-2022 03:08 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Well, it looks like the first shoe will drop to possibly open a slot in the MWC...

Multiple other sources are saying that isn't happening but it is interesting to consider the affect.
11-07-2022 03:31 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

Yea, I think he is a bit early with his announcement. I would guess it is at least a month away if it ever happens. You would have to think the PAC would go 12 if it goes 11. Would cause some ripples in G5 alignment if I had to guess.
11-07-2022 03:36 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Nothing till after PAC media deal is announced. Even then they very well may STAY at ten OR eleven. Same for MW-- they may very well STAY at ten or eleven.

Unless SEVERAL, SEVERAL dominoes fall-- no departures from C-USA IMHO.
11-07-2022 04:33 PM
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

(11-07-2022 04:33 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Nothing till after PAC media deal is announced. Even then they very well may STAY at ten OR eleven. Same for MW-- they may very well STAY at ten or eleven.

Unless SEVERAL, SEVERAL dominoes fall-- no departures from C-USA IMHO.

Correct. Nothing will happen until the PAC knows what they are worth as is and what value additions would bring. Also, the MWC remnants would still be pretty stable at 10 and they could always tap into the Dakota and Montana FCS programs if they needed to add. The most likely scenario is like you said, for leagues to stick it out at 10/11 for a bit while the dust settles elsewhere.
11-07-2022 04:46 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I really expect the PAC to take SDSU eventually. It is a no-brainer (unless it really hurts media deal). They bring the Southern California market (to an extent), good FB, good BB, and an above average academic ranking. It also gives them a little stability and more media content. I'm sure they would come in with partial "shares" to start-- phased in to a full cut over a few years.

That would give them eleven for now and they could wait to add later.

GONZAGA (if added) would also give them a boost.

Mountain West is in a similar scenario. They would be at eleven for FB (loss of SDSU) and ten for BB. Still very doable. They would be even MORE likely to hold at eleven IMO. I really don't see the MW adding ANY fcs schools unless they have to in order to survive.

Any West C-USA members--- PLEASE add your opinions as they may be more valid. Thanks.

--- No AAC teams would jump

--- NMSU, NDSU, UTEP do not seem to help their media deal,etc..

--- There are no other realistic candidates

Now as stated by our UTEP and NMSU friends IF they were to drop to 8 or 9? THEN you would see them grab some team(s) IMHO. IF they go down to 8-- they would add UTEP/NMSU combo because of the big travel savings and excellent BB.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022 05:24 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-07-2022 05:13 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
Does anyone know the tv ratings difference between UTEP, NMSU and San Diego St? Cant say I ever remember seeing San Diego St on tv.
11-07-2022 09:59 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I'm sure the PAC offices have those numbers memorized. And Craig Thompson (retiring Dec.31st) has damage control ready.
11-07-2022 10:48 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

(11-07-2022 09:59 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Does anyone know the tv ratings difference between UTEP, NMSU and San Diego St? Cant say I ever remember seeing San Diego St on tv.

Only numbers I know of are on sports media watch. SDST does fairly well given most their showings are on FS1 and are on late. Hard to compare vs UTEP and NMST because like most other C-USA programs they have very few games (if any) that are actually rated.

11-08-2022 11:02 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(11-08-2022 11:02 AM)freshtop Wrote:  
(11-07-2022 09:59 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Does anyone know the tv ratings difference between UTEP, NMSU and San Diego St? Cant say I ever remember seeing San Diego St on tv.

Only numbers I know of are on sports media watch. SDST does fairly well given most their showings are on FS1 and are on late. Hard to compare vs UTEP and NMST because like most other C-USA programs they have very few games (if any) that are actually rated.

Being on cbssn means there will be no ratings. For whatever reason, you never get ratings for that provider whether it's a cusa, mwc or service academy game.
11-08-2022 04:52 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
The question is would UTEP and NMSU entertain the idea of going West if the MWC is in danger of being down to let’s say San Jose State and Hawaii?

I don’t know why I have the feeling staying in C-USA is the best option for both schools. The MWC in 2022 reminds me of the WAC in late 2009/early 2010 and when it was all said and done in 2012, Idaho and NMSU were the last two standing.

Six months ago I would’ve responded with a resounding yes for MWC membership at any cost. With USC and UCLA announcing their departure to the Big Ten, Oregon and Washington lobbying the Big Ten for an invite and the Big XII openly courting the Four Corner States schools……I don’t think the MWC is appealing anymore. Somebody is going to be left out and my gut tells me it’ll be San Jose State and the last thing I want is for UTEP to be scrambling to find a new home or to go independent not by choice but because no conference wants them and the Western FCS schools declined the conference’s offer to move up to FBS. I doubt NMSU wants to experience the exact situation they had to deal with a decade ago and I absolutely do not blame them.
11-09-2022 11:46 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

(11-09-2022 11:46 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  The question is would UTEP and NMSU entertain the idea of going West if the MWC is in danger of being down to let’s say San Jose State and Hawaii?

I don’t know why I have the feeling staying in C-USA is the best option for both schools. The MWC in 2022 reminds me of the WAC in late 2009/early 2010 and when it was all said and done in 2012, Idaho and NMSU were the last two standing.

Six months ago I would’ve responded with a resounding yes for MWC membership at any cost. With USC and UCLA announcing their departure to the Big Ten, Oregon and Washington lobbying the Big Ten for an invite and the Big XII openly courting the Four Corner States schools……I don’t think the MWC is appealing anymore. Somebody is going to be left out and my gut tells me it’ll be San Jose State and the last thing I want is for UTEP to be scrambling to find a new home or to go independent not by choice but because no conference wants them and the Western FCS schools declined the conference’s offer to move up to FBS. I doubt NMSU wants to experience the exact situation they had to deal with a decade ago and I absolutely do not blame them.

The problem with the western conferences like the old Big West Conference, the old WAC, and the current MWC is there are only a finite number of FBS schools west of the Rockies. They implode because there are not enough prospective school to replace leaving members. While Conference east of Mississippi always have schools willing to jump conferences or move up from a lower level. So, because of that, I believe NMSU's football fortunes are better serve staying C-USA than leaving for the MWC if invited. Just like I was not for NMSU leaving the Sun Belt for the WAC almost 20 years ago.
11-10-2022 01:39 AM
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
There are two UTEP/NMSU scenarios which would be great for Jax State:

1) UTEP and NMSU remain together in CUSA. Sure, the distance sucks, but UTEP/NMSU is the very definition of "travel partner". You make one trip, you play two teams a half hour or so apart from each other. You can't really beat that. And distance comes with its own perks: CUSA spans three time zones, Eastern (Liberty, FIU, Kennesaw), Mountain (UTEP and NMSU), and Central (everyone else). That's a solid spread of potential kickoff (and tip off) times for networks to choose from. And while neither Las Cruces nor El Paso are huge national markets, they represent an area which is largely untapped for Jax State student recruitment. Playing these teams regularly as conference mates will only help build our brand, as it will with other teams from the eastern half of the U.S. (And vice versa.)

2) UTEP and NMSU leave together for the MWC. If both teams left together, it would tighten the CUSA footprint, giving us a more regional focus and a spread similar to the SEC and Sun Belt. We'd obviously have to expand sooner than later to cover those losses, so a lot would depend on who we added, but being in a more regional conference (especially near its geographical center) would be a definite plus.

Any scenario where one team leaves and one team stays is horrible for everyone. The distance becomes a liability again. Islands are bad, m'kay? Let's just agree not to let this happen and we can all be happy.
11-10-2022 02:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.