Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

tennessee copycats
Bookmark and Share
parshooter34 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: niu
tennessee copycats
Tennessee fans tear down goal posts and throw them in the river! Were any of you around for the Original version in Dekalb?
10-16-2022 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
tennessee copycats
(10-16-2022 08:41 AM)parshooter34 Wrote:  Tennessee fans tear down goal posts and throw them in the river! Were any of you around for the Original version in Dekalb?

Yes, I was there when we broke the losing streak. Goalpost was torn down, paraded down Lucinda, and ceremoniously dumped in the lagoon. Lots of fun.
10-16-2022 08:48 AM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
RE: tennessee copycats
(10-16-2022 08:41 AM)parshooter34 Wrote:  Tennessee fans tear down goal posts and throw them in the river! Were any of you around for the Original version in Dekalb?

Twice!
10-16-2022 08:48 AM
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

My freshman year was 1983, so remember the goal post going down vividly. Good times.
10-16-2022 09:02 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
I was there for one of them, fun stuff.
10-16-2022 10:21 AM
Advertisement

DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Yes. What a fun day that was. Best game in the rain ever.
10-16-2022 10:23 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Not sure what the original version was but I was at the one in '98 that broke the losing streak and was part of the mob that took down the north end zone goal post and carried it Lucinda to the East Lagoon.
10-16-2022 10:57 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I was. Plus my girlfriend (now wife)!
10-16-2022 11:42 AM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Pretty sure it predates NIU....by decades.
10-16-2022 09:56 PM
Advertisement

Prince Crossing Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-16-2022 09:02 AM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  My freshman year was 1983, so remember the goal post going down vividly. Good times.

Me too, good times. I believe they ran out of backup posts and wound up using galvanized pipe by the final games.
10-16-2022 10:08 PM
The Huskie Offline
Special Teams

I was there in 1989 at the end of the season when we went 9-2 and the goal posts went down. In 1990 we beat Fresno State and took the goal post down and threw it over the stadium and dumped it into the pond by the Stevens Towers. The same happened with Southern Miss in 1992! Great times to be young and tear goal posts down!!! Its funny because back in the day they let you, no police interference! I do not see that happening now!
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2022 07:42 PM by The Huskie.)
10-17-2022 07:29 PM
jjj Offline
Special Teams

Actually that day in 1989, there was one person trying to stop people from tearing down a goalpost.

Trivia: Can anybody remember the name of our AD at the time who tried to stop people? ( and it was hilarious!!!)

The AD tackled the first student heading for the goal post, but the other students just swamped by and tore it down.............will post the answer in a few hours in case nobody can remember......
10-17-2022 08:39 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(10-17-2022 08:39 PM)jjj Wrote:  Actually that day in 1989, there was one person trying to stop people from tearing down a goalpost.

Trivia: Can anybody remember the name of our AD at the time who tried to stop people? ( and it was hilarious!!!)

The AD tackled the first student heading for the goal post, but the other students just swamped by and tore it down.............will post the answer in a few hours in case nobody can remember......

Gerald O’Dell.

https://www.carrsportsconsulting.com/our...ald-odell/

A legacy of success at NIU………
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2022 06:14 AM by HuskieDave.)
10-18-2022 05:56 AM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(10-18-2022 05:56 AM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(10-17-2022 08:39 PM)jjj Wrote:  Actually that day in 1989, there was one person trying to stop people from tearing down a goalpost.

Gerald O’Dell.

Talk about direct contact with fans and students... The polar opposite of our beloved S. T. Frazier.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2022 06:10 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
10-18-2022 06:09 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-18-2022 06:09 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(10-18-2022 05:56 AM)HuskieDave Wrote:  

Gerald O’Dell.

Talk about direct contact with fans and students... The polar opposite of our beloved S. T. Frazier.

Oh, come on now! STF has lots of contacts with fans........just as long as you donate $100K or more. You have to cut STF a break because it's difficult to weed through the crowds of donors of less than $100K to find the donors that meet his required level of donations. We could get together and donate $100K as a group, but that would not meet STF's requirement of an individual donor donating $100K or more (because he doesn't like to interact with groups comprised of mortal donors). If you have the ability to donate at that high of a level, I urge you to do it so you too can get an audience with Pope STF!!
10-18-2022 07:26 AM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
(10-16-2022 08:48 AM)Teamduh Wrote:  

Twice!

from 91 on, we did it more than 2x. There was the streak breaker, that went to the west lagoon that I remember happening at least 2x if not 3 while I was there, plus there were east lagoon drop offs. It had been just the north end zone post, pull it down, take it for a lap around the field then get it out of the stadium and between the track and softball field. but one game both came down. I'm pretty sure the stature of limitations is up but someone, I'm definitely not saying it was me, 03-lmfao as we, I mean they went past the south goal, I, uhhh somone, gabbed the south post and yelled for some help while shaking the upright and they both came down. I wish I knew who that miscreant was who instigated those terrible shenanigans.04-cheers
I also have the connection and part of the flag off the south post from one year when as it was being moved between the track and the softball field everyone got clothes lined as it was wider than the path due to the batting cage location. Some people climbed the cage to tip the goal post onto an angle so it would fit through the gap, and while the flag was already ripped off the metal and black nylon strap along with about an inch of the base of the flag got stuck in the chain link fence and was ripped off and I grabbed that as a momento.
Actually there is a pic of me in the mob from one game in the NIH football book. I can pick myself out since i was in my hawks practice jersey and cubs hat.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2022 09:48 AM by calvin12.)
10-20-2022 09:44 AM
jjj Offline
Special Teams

I think it is time to formally document the number of times goalposts have been tore down and where they were dumped. Names will be changed to protect the innocent, please add in more details to list below:

1983 ? Win MAC , I assume they were tore down.....
1989 Toledo, finish 9-2 , AD Odell Tackles a Student, Dumped in East Lagoon?
1990 Beat ranked Fresno State, Dumped in pond by Stevens

1992 Southem Miss game? I dont recall that one, why were they tore down?

1998 Snap losing streak, West lagoon.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2022 02:45 PM by jjj.)
10-20-2022 02:40 PM
NIU84 Offline
1st String

(10-20-2022 02:40 PM)jjj Wrote:  I think it is time to formally document the number of times goalposts have been tore down and where they were dumped. Names will be changed to protect the innocent, please add in more details to list below:

1983 ? Win MAC , I assume they were tore down.....
1989 Toledo, finish 9-2 , AD Odell Tackles a Student, Dumped in East Lagoon?
1990 Beat ranked Fresno State, Dumped in pond by Stevens

1992 Southem Miss game? I dont recall that one, why were they tore down?

1998 Snap losing streak, West lagoon.
I was there 80-84, and I seem to recall the goal posts coming down twice during my time. I recall once they made it to the lagoon, but I seem to recall some frat or something kept it one time. Anyone recall this better?
10-20-2022 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.