Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What to do in your U’s hometown…..
Bookmark and Share
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
What are the best things to do or places to eat in the C-USA locations?

LYNCHBURG
Monument Terrace- war memorials in downtown Lynchburg; Liberty Mountain Snowflex- for tubing and snow boarding; Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest- retreat home he built; Lynchburg Museum- for history buffs; Old City Cemetery- for Civil War buffs; SeaQuest Lynchburg- aquarium; Amazement Square- kids museum; Appomatox Courthouse National Park- where Robert E. Lee surrendered to Grant; Natural Bridge State Park.

Good Eats: Waterstone Fire Roasted Pizza

MIAMI

JACKSONVILLE

MURFREESBORO

BOWLING GREEN

RUSTON

HUNTSVILLE

EL PASO

LAS CRUCES
10-10-2022 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
RE: What to do in your U’s hometown…..
(10-10-2022 01:30 PM)army56mike Wrote:  What are the best things to do or places to eat in the C-USA locations?

LYNCHBURG
Monument Terrace- war memorials in downtown Lynchburg; Liberty Mountain Snowflex- for tubing and snow boarding; Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest- retreat home he built; Lynchburg Museum- for history buffs; Old City Cemetery- for Civil War buffs; SeaQuest Lynchburg- aquarium; Amazement Square- kids museum; Appomatox Courthouse National Park- where Robert E. Lee surrendered to Grant; Natural Bridge State Park.

MIAMI <=== rounding up...Sweetwater is not Miami

JACKSONVILLE

MURFREESBORO

BOWLING GREEN

RUSTON

HUNTSVILLE

EL PASO

LAS CRUCES
10-10-2022 03:23 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
FIU Location Address
Modesto A. Maidique Campus (MMC)
11200 SW 8th Street
Miami, Florida 33199
305-348-2000

Biscayne Bay Campus (BBC)
3000 NE 151st Street
North Miami, Florida 33181
305-919-5500

FIU Downtown on Brickell
1101 Brickell Ave, Suite S1000
Miami, FL 33131
305-779-7977

Miami Beach Urban Studios
FIU College of Architecture + The Arts
420 Lincoln Road, Suite 440
Miami Beach, Florida 33139

For applicant portfolios use:
11200 SW 8th Street, PCA 274A
Miami, FL 33199

The Wolfsonian-FIU
1001 Washington Avenue

The Engineering Center
10555 West Flagler Street
Miami, FL 33174
305-348-2522
10-10-2022 03:48 PM
Bearkat21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sam Houston
(10-10-2022 01:30 PM)army56mike Wrote:  What are the best things to do or places to eat in the C-USA locations?

LYNCHBURG

MIAMI

JACKSONVILLE

MURFREESBORO

BOWLING GREEN

RUSTON

HUNTSVILLE

EL PASO

LAS CRUCES

Huntsville's best places to visit for fun include blue lagoon on Pinedale Rd, Sam Houston National Forest, the Texas State Prison Museum, Sam Houston's Homestead and memorial museum (Across the street from campus), Huntsville State Park, either of the 2 major bars/ clubs in town called Shenanigans or the Jolly Fox (Shenanigans has quarter night wells on Tuesdays and Thursdays for those looking to get a cheap buzz off of 1 dollar), Either of the 2 major lakes (Lake Livingston or Lake Conroe), and if you can find your way on to the private golf course Whispering Pines it is ranked the #1 golf course in Texas (Per Golf Digest Magazine) and 54th in the US. Alternatively for golfing you have the Bearkat golf course, Elkins lake, and further down in Montgomery/Conroe you have April sound and Bentwater if you cannot find a way to play at Whispering Pines.

The best food places are in no particular order: Big EZ (Cajun), Arnauds (Cajun/ Trailer Food Park), Walls BBQ (Get the brisket Fries), Farmhouse (Southern Comfort Food), City Hall (American), Humphrey's (American Bar and Grill called "Humps" by the locals), Potato Shack (Baked Potatoes in many different varieties), Toasted (Breakfast food), 7 Leguas (Tex Mex), Gordos (Mexican), Cafe Texan (Oldest Cafe in the state that is currently closed but plans to reopen), 1836 Steakhouse (Upscale Sit Down Steak Dinner), Daisys Diner (Comfort Food), Yummy Yummy Mongolian Grill (Build your own bowl for the meat sweats or order the Bearkat Sushi Roll), and lastly Mr. Hamburger (My favorite here is the Hornet Burger). These are just the Huntsville specific options and doesn't include staples in Texas like Whataburger.

Hope everyone who visits Huntsville enjoys all it has to offer for small town entertainment and food. Eat Em Up Kats!
10-10-2022 04:29 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt recommends visiting CLT while in Charlotte
10-10-2022 04:54 PM
Gemofthehills Online
All American

I Root For: JSU
10-10-2022 09:30 PM
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Jacksonville has one of my favorite rib shacks in the entire state....Cooter Browns. Great food and cool atmosphere.
10-11-2022 07:40 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(10-10-2022 04:29 PM)Bearkat21 Wrote:  

LYNCHBURG

MIAMI

JACKSONVILLE

MURFREESBORO

BOWLING GREEN

RUSTON

HUNTSVILLE

EL PASO

LAS CRUCES

Huntsville's best places to visit for fun include blue lagoon on Pinedale Rd, Sam Houston National Forest, the Texas State Prison Museum, Sam Houston's Homestead and memorial museum (Across the street from campus), Huntsville State Park, either of the 2 major bars/ clubs in town called Shenanigans or the Jolly Fox (Shenanigans has quarter night wells on Tuesdays and Thursdays for those looking to get a cheap buzz off of 1 dollar), Either of the 2 major lakes (Lake Livingston or Lake Conroe), and if you can find your way on to the private golf course Whispering Pines it is ranked the #1 golf course in Texas (Per Golf Digest Magazine) and 54th in the US. Alternatively for golfing you have the Bearkat golf course, Elkins lake, and further down in Montgomery/Conroe you have April sound and Bentwater if you cannot find a way to play at Whispering Pines.

The best food places are in no particular order: Big EZ (Cajun), Arnauds (Cajun/ Trailer Food Park), Walls BBQ (Get the brisket Fries), Farmhouse (Southern Comfort Food), City Hall (American), Humphrey's (American Bar and Grill called "Humps" by the locals), Potato Shack (Baked Potatoes in many different varieties), Toasted (Breakfast food), 7 Leguas (Tex Mex), Gordos (Mexican), Cafe Texan (Oldest Cafe in the state that is currently closed but plans to reopen), 1836 Steakhouse (Upscale Sit Down Steak Dinner), Daisys Diner (Comfort Food), Yummy Yummy Mongolian Grill (Build your own bowl for the meat sweats or order the Bearkat Sushi Roll), and lastly Mr. Hamburger (My favorite here is the Hornet Burger). These are just the Huntsville specific options and doesn't include staples in Texas like Whataburger.

Hope everyone who visits Huntsville enjoys all it has to offer for small town entertainment and food. Eat Em Up Kats!

Wait!!! Don’t forget the second tallest statue in the state of Texas!!!

It’s actually pretty hard to miss if you visit all the other sites you mentioned.
10-11-2022 07:58 AM
jbuck1999 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SHSU

LYNCHBURG

MIAMI

JACKSONVILLE

MURFREESBORO

BOWLING GREEN

RUSTON

HUNTSVILLE

EL PASO

LAS CRUCES

You did better than I would have, there is NOTHING to do in Huntsville lol all we got is food and a handful of odds and ends lol. Good post Bearkat21 +3
10-11-2022 08:03 AM
Bearkat21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sam Houston
(10-11-2022 08:03 AM)jbuck1999 Wrote:  

LYNCHBURG

MIAMI

JACKSONVILLE

MURFREESBORO

BOWLING GREEN

RUSTON

HUNTSVILLE

EL PASO

LAS CRUCES

You did better than I would have, there is NOTHING to do in Huntsville lol all we got is food and a handful of odds and ends lol. Good post Bearkat21 +3

I never found myself bored when I lived in Huntsville. 04-cheers I did make a cardinal sin and forgot to mention the tallest statue of a person in Texas with general Sam Houston standing off of I-45 Northbound. There is a museum to visit there but I have never been to it so I cannot vouch for whether it is a cool museum. Huntsville has tons of history which is part of why there are so many museums. The prison museum is cool because it has some Bonnie and Clyde stuff in it, ol' sparky (the electric chair used for execution), history of the prison rodeo, and a lot more. The museum also has a solid gift shop with really high-quality wood and leather products made by the prisoners that when purchased the prisoners make a portion of the money that they can either save for when they get out of prison or use at the commissary. If you're not familiar with Huntsville, TX it is a college town like nowhere else in the US and you'll either find it really neat or really weird/ scary that there are 13 major prisons in the Huntsville area which makes for an interesting college/ prison town experience. Executions for the state of Texas are held right next to Sam Houston's campus in the Walls unit about 800 yards away from the entrance to Bowers Stadium. I personally found it really cool and a fun environment to get my education at. The criminal Justice program at Sam Houston is the best in Texas and one of the best in the country. The university has an active courtroom on campus where major trials in the East Texas region are held and CJ students can visit and sit in on. The university also has one of the only body farms on campus where cold cases are sometimes solved. The courtroom is open to the public, but the body farm is off limits to the public and only accessible for Forensic Science students. Hope this adds some more interesting stuff to do for visitors. 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 08:39 AM by Bearkat21.)
10-11-2022 08:34 AM
Gemofthehills Online
All American

Jacksonville has a few things to do but not an overabundance.
Pinhoti Trail - approximately 200 miles long connects to the Benton-McKay which connects to the AT. For serious hikers would allow you to say you have hiked the Appalachian Mountains as the AT runs out before the mountain does.
Ladiga Trail - for the bike riders, goes about 75 miles from Atlanta to Anniston, AL. Old railroad track which makes the gradient easy riding.
Anniston - about 10 miles from campus has a really nice natural history museum and another most WW II items.
The area has several mountain biking facilities.
Horse riders would also have multiple areas to ride, McClellan is the newest and closest but the Choccolocco management area has the largest. It is part of the Talladega National Forrest which also offer camping and other outdoor activities including hunting.
Several low level kayaking/floating opportunities, Terrapin Creek is the most popular.
Cheaha State park is also reasonable close to campus.
If your not into outdoors it could be a long stay unless the university has a game or a drama production.
Plenty of good local high school football action on Friday nights.

Food:
Cooter Brown's as mentioned above is the best rib place by far can compete with any Ive eaten anywhere in the country. It is my favorite but I like dry ribs.
Rocket also has a BBQ but it better at butts but their hamburgers are my go to.
Mango's is a good pizza joint, not the best in the world but plenty good.
My wife like Heirloom Tacos.
Baja California is popular mex food, if coming from the west Tequila and Tacos in Alexandria is good.
Calhouns is a steakhouse
Effinas is the local Italian restaurant.
Olio's has custom made doughnuts where you pick what you want on your doughnut.
Top of the River in Anniston is a popular fried catfish place
Anniston/Oxford area has chains if your into those type places. Garfredicks is a local good high end restaurant.
Piedmont has Shell's Downtown if your into music and a good meal
Jacksonville has several fast food establishments
Sure others will add things as Im not the best tour guide.
10-11-2022 08:57 AM
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
The best thing to do in Las Cruces is drive to El Paso.
10-11-2022 09:13 AM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
(10-10-2022 03:48 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  FIU Location Address
Modesto A. Maidique Campus (MMC)
11200 SW 8th Street
Miami, Florida 33199
305-348-2000

Biscayne Bay Campus (BBC)
3000 NE 151st Street
North Miami, Florida 33181
305-919-5500

FIU Downtown on Brickell
1101 Brickell Ave, Suite S1000
Miami, FL 33131
305-779-7977

Miami Beach Urban Studios
FIU College of Architecture + The Arts
420 Lincoln Road, Suite 440

For applicant portfolios use:
11200 SW 8th Street, PCA 274A
Miami, FL 33199

The Wolfsonian-FIU
1001 Washington Avenue

The Engineering Center
10555 West Flagler Street
Miami, FL 33174
305-348-2522

Did you know that any city in Broward County can be addressed to Fort Lauderdale, FL with proper zip code and be delivered to the correct address...are you ashamed of Sweetwater which you will admit that no one has ever confused with Miami?
10-11-2022 10:09 AM
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(10-11-2022 08:57 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Jacksonville has a few things to do but not an overabundance....

This sums it up nicely. If you look only at the town proper, there's not a lot, but Anniston, Oxford, and even Gadsden are only 10-20 minutes away and broaden the list of entertainment and recreational options considerably.

Gem mentioned mountain biking... I have several friends who regularly bike the Coldwater Mountain trail: https://www.imba.com/project/coldwater-mountain

The Ladiga Trail is excellent if you prefer biking paved roads over rocks and hills. It's also great for rollerblading, jogging, or just walking. From the JSU campus to the trailhead Woodland Park in Anniston is an easy bike ride at just under 7 miles one-way. If you want more of a commitment, going the other direction, it's 12 miles up to Piedmont's Eubanks Welcome Center, and just over 25 miles to the start of the Silver Comet Trail at the Georgia state line.

Other great outdoor options are Cheaha Mountain State Park (35 miles from JSU), Terrapin Creek Outdoor Center (20 miles), Dugger Mountain Wilderness Area (18 miles), and Noccalula Falls Park (25 miles).

It's a bit more of a drive, but Little River Canyon (about 50 miles away) is worth a visit if you're into hiking, spectacular views, and waterfalls (the latter, especially, when the water is up). The same can be said for Noccalula, but the Canyon is FAR more wild. Noccalula is more of a family park.

If you prefer indoor family entertainment (bowling, laser tag, go karts, mini-golf, axe throwing, etc.) then Big Time Entertainment in Oxford (about 17 miles away) is your best bet.

If you want something much quieter, the Anniston Museum of Natural History, the Berman Museum, and Longleaf Botanical Gardens are all located next to each other, about 10 miles south of Jacksonville.

When it's time to eat, I heartily endorse Cooter Brown's for ribs, burgers, and more. Struts and Jefferson's are good as well, if you're into wings and burgers. Each of these also has a fine selection of adult beverages, but someone else will have to tell you how well stocked they are. It's been awhile for me.

The Rocket is also top notch when it comes to barbecue and burgers. If you're a barbecue snob, you'll probably prefer Cooter Brown's, but I can't recommend the barbecue salad at the Rocket highly enough. And their cheeseburgers are on another level.

Gem mentioned a few other places. In addition to his list, there's Mata's Pizza, down in Anniston. Man, I love those pizzas. For Chinese, you can't go wrong with House of Chen in Anniston or China Luck in Oxford, both of which I know are good. In Jacksonville proper, there are a few newer Asian options which opened "after my time". I hear they're good, though: Yamato Steak House, Isshin, and KT Pho.

If you're into more upscale food, there's Garfrerick's in Oxford and Classic on Noble in Anniston. Both are outstanding. Garfrerick's is quieter, but I'll eat the food at Classic any time, regardless of the noise. Try the shrimp and grits!
10-11-2022 11:07 AM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
(10-11-2022 09:13 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  The best thing to do in Las Cruces is drive to El Paso.

05-mafia

Las Cruces

Lots of great places to eat (Obviously biased towards Mexican Food)
- Nopalitos
- Chilitos
- Wecks
- La Posta (Mesilla)

There is a lot of cool hiking in the area, like hiking up "A" Mountain, Dripping Springs, Soledad Canyon. Old Mesilla (near where La Posta is) has a lot of history to it as well.

GO AGGIES!!!!
10-11-2022 02:01 PM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
(10-11-2022 09:13 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  The best thing to do in Las Cruces is drive to El Paso.

Only time I drive to El Paso is when I need to meet up with Bob from La Bamba to get another kilo.
10-11-2022 07:49 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
Bowling Green has:

The National Corvette Museaum Made national news when a corvette fell through the floor due to a sink hole underneath.

Lost River Cave Really unique and cool visit. In addition to the underground boat ride there are trails on the grounds and a butterfly house that is really nice in the spring.

The Heritage Aviation Park Free admission, come for the planes stay for the stories of local servicemen and pilots.

L&N Rail Park Nice little railroad museaum, tour actual rail cars.

The Mint Gaming Hall Small casino if that is your thing.

And we're just 30 minutes from:
Mammoth Cave National Park Well worth your trip.

And we're an hour north of Nashville which is a great town if you need country music or to buy a pair of boots:
BOOTS

Popular restaurants include

Montana Grille

Wild Eggs

Smokey Pig

Double Dogs

Burger & Bowl

Blaze Pizza

Pub by Novo
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 08:52 PM by Hilltopper2K.)
10-11-2022 08:28 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(10-11-2022 08:34 AM)Bearkat21 Wrote:  
(10-11-2022 08:03 AM)jbuck1999 Wrote:  

LYNCHBURG

MIAMI

JACKSONVILLE

MURFREESBORO

BOWLING GREEN

RUSTON

HUNTSVILLE

EL PASO

LAS CRUCES

I never found myself bored when I lived in Huntsville. 04-cheers I did make a cardinal sin and forgot to mention the tallest statue of a person in Texas with general Sam Houston standing off of I-45 Northbound. There is a museum to visit there but I have never been to it so I cannot vouch for whether it is a cool museum. Huntsville has tons of history which is part of why there are so many museums. The prison museum is cool because it has some Bonnie and Clyde stuff in it, ol' sparky (the electric chair used for execution), history of the prison rodeo, and a lot more. The museum also has a solid gift shop with really high-quality wood and leather products made by the prisoners that when purchased the prisoners make a portion of the money that they can either save for when they get out of prison or use at the commissary. If you're not familiar with Huntsville, TX it is a college town like nowhere else in the US and you'll either find it really neat or really weird/ scary that there are 13 major prisons in the Huntsville area which makes for an interesting college/ prison town experience. Executions for the state of Texas are held right next to Sam Houston's campus in the Walls unit about 800 yards away from the entrance to Bowers Stadium. I personally found it really cool and a fun environment to get my education at. The criminal Justice program at Sam Houston is the best in Texas and one of the best in the country. The university has an active courtroom on campus where major trials in the East Texas region are held and CJ students can visit and sit in on. The university also has one of the only body farms on campus where cold cases are sometimes solved. The courtroom is open to the public, but the body farm is off limits to the public and only accessible for Forensic Science students. Hope this adds some more interesting stuff to do for visitors. 02-13-banana

The museum at the Sam Houston statue is nothing special. But it’s worth stopping and parking at the base of the statue just to get a feel for how tall it really is. It looks tall from the Interstate, but it’s realllllly talllll!

Then get back on the interstate and drive north up to Dallas (home of your new baseball affiliate Dallas Baptist University) where you can stop at the Dallas Zoo and see the tallest statue of a mammal in Texas. His tongue is at least twenty times longer than General Sam’s.
10-12-2022 05:58 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Murfreesboro:

Stones River National Battlefield- cool to see and plenty to explore

Cannonsburgh Village- represents an old TN, village really cool and connected to our greenway system

Earth Experience- neat hole in the wall fossil store with a trex.

Barfield Park- for disc golfers and nature lovers

Restaurants/Bars:
Level 3- best bar imo
Mayday Brewery- good vibe beer is meh
Cedar Glades Brewing- best beer
The Goat- upscale bar with volleyball courts, fire pits and corn hole
Jack Brown’s- great burger joint with an interesting vibe
The Boulevard- best MT place in town, good food right beside campus
Jefferson’s- college sports bar right beside campus, good wings
10-12-2022 09:34 PM
Gemofthehills Online
All American

(10-12-2022 09:34 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  Murfreesboro:

Stones River National Battlefield- cool to see and plenty to explore

Cannonsburgh Village- represents an old TN, village really cool and connected to our greenway system

Earth Experience- neat hole in the wall fossil store with a trex.

Barfield Park- for disc golfers and nature lovers

Restaurants/Bars:
Level 3- best bar imo
Mayday Brewery- good vibe beer is meh
Cedar Glades Brewing- best beer
The Goat- upscale bar with volleyball courts, fire pits and corn hole
Jack Brown’s- great burger joint with an interesting vibe
The Boulevard- best MT place in town, good food right beside campus
Jefferson’s- college sports bar right beside campus, good wings

The Sam fans can go to the Wilson Expo Center/Fiddlers ? area and see Sam Houstons first law office. Believe it was originally on at the town square but not sure. It may be a replica, too. Sam Houston is the only person to be a Governor of two states.
10-13-2022 09:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.