Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU vs SIU
Bookmark and Share
freehuskie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
NIU vs SIU
Once again, why don't we, or they, want an annual NIU vs SIU Football Classic? Seems to me if we are going to play the likes of EIU and WIU, why not take on SIU in preseason and make (turn) it into an annual rivalry. Do it for the money, the hype, the fun of it.
09-25-2022 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
NIU vs SIU
(09-25-2022 03:58 PM)freehuskie Wrote:  Once again, why don't we, or they, want an annual NIU vs SIU Football Classic? Seems to me if we are going to play the likes of EIU and WIU, why not take on SIU in preseason and make (turn) it into an annual rivalry. Do it for the money, the hype, the fun of it.

I like it. The marketing could be exciting: North vs. South with players in Civil War type period clothes, etc. It could be fun times. We could even get some sort of state of Illinois declaration.
09-25-2022 04:11 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
RE: NIU vs SIU
Rather see games against the ILLness or Northwestern. NIU had a good turnout at the last game versus Northwestern.
09-25-2022 04:20 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(09-25-2022 04:11 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(09-25-2022 03:58 PM)freehuskie Wrote:  Once again, why don't we, or they, want an annual NIU vs SIU Football Classic? Seems to me if we are going to play the likes of EIU and WIU, why not take on SIU in preseason and make (turn) it into an annual rivalry. Do it for the money, the hype, the fun of it.

I like it. The marketing could be exciting: North vs. South with players in Civil War type period clothes, etc. It could be fun times. We could even get some sort of state of Illinois declaration.

03-lmfao
09-25-2022 04:52 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

It’s a shame Carey’s still not here because he could run that offense he had from the 1860’s.
09-25-2022 05:44 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
NIU vs SIU
(09-25-2022 04:52 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

03-lmfao

What I meant was for pre-game marketing/advertising purposes (like those old time photos), not for the game obviously.

They could also market North dogs (Huskies) vs. South dogs (Salukis).
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2022 05:51 PM by Dog Fan.)
09-25-2022 05:49 PM
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(09-25-2022 05:49 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

03-lmfao

What I meant was for pre-game marketing/advertising purposes (like those old time photos), not for the game obviously.

I figured as much; it just really made me laugh. I had this visual of muskets, cannons, etc.
09-25-2022 06:27 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

03-lmfao

I'm sure the players at SIU would LOVE to wear Confederate uniforms....
09-25-2022 06:53 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

03-lmfao

Let’s take it up a notch. Full on dog fighting. Michael Vick referees. My moneys on the Huskie Dogs!
09-25-2022 07:12 PM
NIU84 Offline
1st String

(09-25-2022 07:12 PM)jjprender Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Let’s take it up a notch. Full on dog fighting. Michael Vick referees. My moneys on the Huskie Dogs!
Civil war theme? Dog fighting? man this thread went off the cliff in a hurry.......I like it!!!

So then....the winner of the game gets to set the rules on the other's campus for a year. Think "SIU wins and imposes a 9pm curfew on the NIU campus..or better yet, flat out suspends all civil liberties and imposes martial law!!!". I mean, what could be more civil war like than that!!! You could cut off the internet service on the other's campus, force students into manual labor, impose new taxes..what fun!!!"

:)

Or you could tone it down and have the losing team wear the winner's jerseys around campus for day. Something subdued llke that. Create a 'Jerry Kill SIU-NIU Football Trophy' and play for that?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2022 07:31 PM by NIU84.)
09-25-2022 07:30 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
No thanks to an annual NIU/SIU thing. Don't see the sexiness in tying ourselves to a similarly named FCS program as if it were a mirror image or equal. Would rather see a 5 game series over 12 years with Iowa State or the like with a branding push behind it. A shame we don't have more OOC G5 programs within a 4 hour drive. Wyoming would be a good partner, too far to fill each others stadiums. Just keep scheduling an instate FCS every other year, get the extra 2 thousand fans, move on.

Illinois and NU should schedule us every third year, we'd bring 7-12k to Evanston every time, probably 5-10k to Urbana. Put your energy behind that if anything. Make those 2-for-1's and we're cook'n.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2022 07:38 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
09-26-2022 07:32 AM
Advertisement

BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
I have no issue scheduling them every few years, but this should not be an annual thing with a rivaly trophy or anything.

Would that be the only FBS/FCS official rivalry for football?

Yikes on bikes that would be embarrassing.
09-26-2022 10:55 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

(09-26-2022 10:55 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  I have no issue scheduling them every few years, but this should not be an annual thing with a rivaly trophy or anything.

And yet, people can't figure out why UofI isn't interested in having an in-state rivalry series with us.
09-26-2022 12:32 PM
sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Are you actually suggesting that NIU (FBS) travel to SIU (FCS) every other year?
It will never happen.
09-26-2022 12:49 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

Just give it a little bit of time-----probably only a few more years until the P5 becomes two (maybe three) mega conferences and they will end up only playing each other.

The Vanderbilts and Kentuckys on the schedule will be memory of a bygone day. The lesser conferences, without sustaining paydays are going to seek out closer, less cost in travel games and NIU-SIU fits the bill.
09-26-2022 12:55 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2022 12:32 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(09-26-2022 10:55 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  I have no issue scheduling them every few years, but this should not be an annual thing with a rivaly trophy or anything.

And yet, people can't figure out why UofI isn't interested in having an in-state rivalry series with us.

NIU and U of I are both FBS. SIU is FCS. While ESPN gets excited about any P5/G5 rift that exists, we are in the same subdivision as Illinois and as such a more logical and equitable matchup.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2022 04:47 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
09-26-2022 03:15 PM
Advertisement

HUSKiESbelieve Offline
Special Teams

(09-26-2022 03:15 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

NIU and U of I are both FBS. SIU is FCS. While ESPN gets excited about any P5/G5 rift that exists, we are in the same subdivision as Illinois and as such a more logical and equitable matchup.

Exactly. We have a D1 FBS football program! U of I and NW football wants to pretend they are in a different league in the state of Illinois and constantly playing us with some wins and losses would give us the credibility that in the state of Illinois, there is actually 3 D1 FBS football programs.
09-26-2022 05:25 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

If you think NIU and UofI are on the same level, then I don't know what to tell you.

Losing to us would be like how we would fell like losing to SIU.
09-26-2022 08:31 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(09-26-2022 05:25 PM)HUSKiESbelieve Wrote:  

Exactly. We have a D1 FBS football program! U of I and NW football wants to pretend they are in a different league in the state of Illinois and constantly playing us with some wins and losses would give us the credibility that in the state of Illinois, there is actually 3 D1 FBS football programs.

Remind me again of our record against those teams?
09-26-2022 08:36 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2022 08:36 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(09-26-2022 05:25 PM)HUSKiESbelieve Wrote:  

Remind me again of our record against those teams?

We haven't played them enough in the last 2-3 decades for any record to matter, and they have never played us at home.

If we played them home+away every 3 years each, I think you would see a healthy W/L balance evolve, maybe even in our favor. Also, we beat NU the last time we played them (as always at their house). There is ZERO noticeable or constant talent gap between the 3 Illinois FBS programs, period.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2022 09:28 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
09-27-2022 09:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.