Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl eligibility
Bookmark and Share
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
Bowl eligibility
The rule that first year FBS teams aren’t eligible for a bowl game is dumb.

If anything, you’d think a first year team wouldn’t be up to par yet (in general, not talking about the Dukes), so if they outperform expectations then why not let them participate in the postseason?

The rule makes no sense, and I’d feel this way even if we got smoked on Saturday.
09-05-2022 09:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: Bowl eligibility
Agreed. You come in at a disadvantage, not advantage of stepping up. If you come in and go .500+ against tougher competition you deserve to go bowling.
09-05-2022 09:18 AM
jmu007 Online
All American

Agree, but the. One of the old hats has to give up a spot they think belongs to them. Thus, this rule. 100% money grab by teams who don’t wanna give up a slot.
09-05-2022 09:34 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
It sounded like JMU is putting most of the focus on getting the waiver for next year.

If we have a spectacular result this year, I hope they consider applying for a waiver this year also.

We would need to win 6, and there would need there to be more openings than other 6 win teams ... but I believe it technically is possible with a waiver.
09-05-2022 10:03 AM
Advertisement

JMUska Offline
Special Teams

At least it looks like FBS might have an actually reasonably sized playoff by the time we’re eligible.

And yeah I’m counting eggs before they hatch or whatever, but who cares. I’m not on the team.

Speaking of that, how’s Heisman eligibility work for first year teams?
09-05-2022 10:12 AM
We Are the Dukes of JMU Offline
Special Teams

(09-05-2022 10:12 AM)JMUska Wrote:  At least it looks like FBS might have an actually reasonably sized playoff by the time we’re eligible.

And yeah I’m counting eggs before they hatch or whatever, but who cares. I’m not on the team.

FBS and FCS players are eligible for the Heisman. There have been at least a couple finalists from the lower subdivision. I guess D2 and D3 players might technically be eligible as well, but as far as I can tell none have ever actually been candidates.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2022 10:49 AM by We Are the Dukes of JMU.)
09-05-2022 10:48 AM
Special Teams

(09-05-2022 10:03 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  It sounded like JMU is putting most of the focus on getting the waiver for next year.

If we have a spectacular result this year, I hope they consider applying for a waiver this year also.

We would need to win 6, and there would need there to be more openings than other 6 win teams ... but I believe it technically is possible with a waiver.

I thought there's a scenario where we can actually play in a bowl this year without any waiver. I'm pretty sure that if there aren't enough bowl-eligible FBS teams, bowls can select from transitioning teams with 6+ wins. I can't remember where I read that or if it's even true.
09-05-2022 10:59 AM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-05-2022 10:59 AM)We Are the Dukes of JMU Wrote:  
(09-05-2022 10:03 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  It sounded like JMU is putting most of the focus on getting the waiver for next year.

I thought there's a scenario where we can actually play in a bowl this year without any waiver. I'm pretty sure that if there aren't enough bowl-eligible FBS teams, bowls can select from transitioning teams with 6+ wins. I can't remember where I read that or if it's even true.

I think it still technically requires a waiver, though probably a different waiver than the one for next year that basically skips a transition year.

This year, we would play second fiddle to any other bowl eligible team. If there aren't enough, thats where the waiver comes in. Occasionally there are 5 win FBS teams that get a bowl game with a waiver also. It's probably a formality to file the paperwork if one of the bowls has an opening and wants you there ...
09-05-2022 11:33 AM
Special Teams

(09-05-2022 11:33 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(09-05-2022 10:59 AM)We Are the Dukes of JMU Wrote:  

I think it still technically requires a waiver, though probably a different waiver than the one for next year that basically skips a transition year.

This year, we would play second fiddle to any other bowl eligible team. If there aren't enough, thats where the waiver comes in. Occasionally there are 5 win FBS teams that get a bowl game with a waiver also. It's probably a formality to file the paperwork if one of the bowls has an opening and wants you there ...

That makes sense. I could see a scenario where a 7-8 win JMU team has more appeal than a 5 win team. I'm not saying we'll win 7-8 games, but just talking hypothetically.
09-05-2022 11:35 AM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

(09-05-2022 10:48 AM)We Are the Dukes of JMU Wrote:  
(09-05-2022 10:12 AM)JMUska Wrote:  At least it looks like FBS might have an actually reasonably sized playoff by the time we’re eligible.

FBS and FCS players are eligible for the Heisman. There have been at least a couple finalists from the lower subdivision. I guess D2 and D3 players might technically be eligible as well, but as far as I can tell none have ever actually been candidates.

You’re right. I forgot all about McNair being a finalist back at Alcorn State
09-05-2022 01:43 PM
Advertisement

space orange Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF

Im not 100% but I don't think JMU needs a waiver for next year. Normally the FCS to FBS process has a 2 year transition period.

Year 1 is FCS+ where you play an FCS schedule but can't compete in the FCS playoffs because of having more scholarships than the other FCS teams. Year 2 is FBS lite where you play an FBS schedule but can't play in bowl games because you're still short a few.scholarships compared to standard FBS teams (in non-covid years). After these 2 years you're a fully eligible FBS team.

The fact that JMU is already doing their FBS schedule this year signals to me that extra COVID year scholarships allowed you to skip year 1 of transition and go straight to year 2. So in 2023 JMU should be fully eligible for anything all FBS teams are.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2022 01:45 PM by space orange.)
09-05-2022 01:44 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(09-05-2022 01:43 PM)JMUska Wrote:  
(09-05-2022 10:48 AM)We Are the Dukes of JMU Wrote:  

You’re right. I forgot all about McNair being a finalist back at Alcorn State
Besides McNair, I remember D3 Joe Dudek and DIAA Gordie Lockbaum getting votes.

https://www.heisman.com/articles/small-s...e-heisman/
09-05-2022 01:48 PM
Special Teams

(09-05-2022 01:44 PM)space orange Wrote:  

Im not 100% but I don't think JMU needs a waiver for next year. Normally the FCS to FBS process has a 2 year transition period.

Year 1 is FCS+ where you play an FCS schedule but can't compete in the FCS playoffs because of having more scholarships than the other FCS teams. Year 2 is FBS lite where you play an FBS schedule but can't play in bowl games because you're still short a few.scholarships compared to standard FBS teams (in non-covid years). After these 2 years you're a fully eligible FBS team.

The fact that JMU is already doing their FBS schedule this year signals to me that extra COVID year scholarships allowed you to skip year 1 of transition and go straight to year 2. So in 2023 JMU should be fully eligible for anything all FBS teams are.

We still need a waiver for next year. Our AD just explained the process in an interview last week.

https://twitter.com/JMUSportsNet/status/...7285933059

JMU is currently in our year 1 where we should be playing an FCS while being ineligible for the playoffs. We decided we would rather play a full FBS and SBC schedule, and the SBC agreed to make that work for us. JMU is in the same transition year as Sam Houston and Jacksonville State, but we've just put together a much more difficult schedule.

Next year will be JMU's year 2, but we're going to petition the NCAA to grant us a waiver to skip the second year of transition. It seems logical to allow it, since we're already at full FBS scholarship level in year 1. That said, the NCAA has never been known for applying logic consistently.
09-05-2022 02:07 PM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-05-2022 01:44 PM)space orange Wrote:  

We did effectively skip year 1, and are considered an FBS team for competition purposes. We are however still finalizing the NCAA paperwork process for us to be "full FBS" with bowl eligibility in 2023. That's what I'm referring to as a waiver. Our AD spoke about it some recently, they expect to file the final stage of paperwork around January 2023, its a multi step process.

Getting a separate waiver for bowl eligibility this year seems like something that should be possible also, with the huge assumption that everything fell into place with our results, and there being an opening.
09-05-2022 02:13 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

NCAA and logic are two words you rarely hear in the same sentence together or even close to each other. Now illogical that is another story!!

Brian
09-05-2022 02:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.