Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wilner tweet lists keys to Pac-12 survival and more B1G expansion
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Wilner tweet lists keys to Pac-12 survival and more B1G expansion
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 10:55 AM by BeatWestern!.)
09-01-2022 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Wilner Tweet lists keys to Pac-12 survival and more B1G expansion
Wilner make it seem Warren is trying to shoehorn UW/UO first and then convince the B1G Presidents later.
09-01-2022 09:41 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Jon Wilner/John Canzano have been appropriately dubbed Wilzano on twitter.
09-01-2022 09:44 AM
jacksfan29! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jackrabbits, Army, CU
(09-01-2022 09:44 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Jon Wilner/John Canzano have been appropriately dubbed Wilzano on twitter.

In a couple hours Canzano will post an article with an anonymous quote out of the Utah athletic department (part time SID employee) and a "PAC insider" (Wilner) stating the PAC are in a place of strength and there is nothing to see here.
09-01-2022 09:59 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: Wilner tweet lists keys to Pac-12 survival and more B1G expansion
Not sure how Wilner’s first bullet point happens (Pac-12 makes offer to UO/UW) when the Pac-12’s early opening of its media rights renegotiation didn’t result in any agreements.
09-01-2022 11:54 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Big 10 won't grab anymore PAC 12 schools until they land Notre Dame first. It will be a very long wait like years.
09-01-2022 12:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
The Dodd question he responded to was dumb. How does the PAC get an offer with UO and UW potentially departing?

Well, the media partner quotes them a deal of $X with UW/UO signed to a GOR for the length of the contract and a clause to renegotiate if a departure occurs. And $Y without them. Pretty simple.
09-01-2022 12:31 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
I like it visible.

Wilner's response to Dodd is spot on. It all comes down really to B1G President's willingness to add Oregon and Washington or not this round.

Kliavkoff is on a tight timeline. He has to get the best offer he can get on the table within the next roughly 45 days. It will be whatever it will be. No doubt that will require all members to sign a GOR, otherwise ESPN and other media providers will insist upon it to guarantee their rights given the instability everyone can see. That GOR is also very necessary to keep the four corner schools locked in place, as their remaining is dependent upon Oregon and Washington committing to the Pac-12. That will force Washington and Oregon to press the B1G for a decision. And the B1G has to make that decision within days, because Oregon and Washington cannot wait.

The game is pretty clear. How it plays out is entirely up to the B1G presidents.
09-01-2022 12:44 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
If the Presidents are hesitant, I don't see it happening. My guess is they don't like the travel aspects. 7 year-GoR it probably is.

Also sets up the PAC for AQ for expanded playoffs. I think a lot of it depends on the playoff format and how much additional revenue the Presidents think they can secure.

I think Wilzano may finally catch a break here. My guess is all the leaks from the UO and UW camps are just to play hard ball to get ESPN to up the offer.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 12:52 PM by RUScarlets.)
09-01-2022 12:51 PM
SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
The second bullet in his tweet is absolute hogwash, in no world do UW or UO give the B1G some kind of ultimatum by saying they need an in/out answer. That would just be stupid.

As to OSU and their resistance to more expansion, I'm really curious what's at the crux of their issue? Is it number of schools, which schools, revenue, something else? If someone has something they could share that would be great.
09-01-2022 12:54 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
Should Oregon and Washington not get into the B1G this time around, I feel like a media deal and GOR that runs through the end of the B1G's current/upcoming contract is the best way to maximize for the PAC. Everyone should see the writing on the wall at this point, and locking in all the members until the next likely conference expansion date would keep it simple.

Also the PAC should expand in that case, without a doubt.
09-01-2022 12:56 PM
Advertisement

jacksfan29! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jackrabbits, Army, CU
(09-01-2022 12:44 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  I like it visible.

Wilner's response to Dodd is spot on. It all comes down really to B1G President's willingness to add Oregon and Washington or not this round.

Kliavkoff is on a tight timeline. He has to get the best offer he can get on the table within the next roughly 45 days. It will be whatever it will be. No doubt that will require all members to sign a GOR, otherwise ESPN and other media providers will insist upon it to guarantee their rights given the instability everyone can see. That GOR is also very necessary to keep the four corner schools locked in place, as their remaining is dependent upon Oregon and Washington committing to the Pac-12. That will force Washington and Oregon to press the B1G for a decision. And the B1G has to make that decision within days, because Oregon and Washington cannot wait.

The game is pretty clear. How it plays out is entirely up to the B1G presidents.

Ohio State has come out and stated, they are not against further expansion. The "tOSU" are blocking comes from Wilner with no sourcing. No way Washington or Oregon sign a GOR longer than 2 years. No way either school gives the B1G an ultimatum. This is, once again, PAC media "survivors" desperate to try and help the league stay together.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 01:05 PM by jacksfan29!.)
09-01-2022 12:57 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

We wouldn't be hearing all these leaks if the B1G was going to add these schools. This is like the PAC16 that fell through. The B1G Presidents are probably pissed this is all getting leaked and are tired of the press being on them. I think it's 60% chance these teams aren't added this cycle. At least to preserve the Rose Bowl contract through 26' and beyond. I mean, has anyone here addressed this? Can't the Rose Bowl sue the B1G up the ass for taking all of the PACs assets? They will need some compensation. You are not going to put MWC backfills tagging along with OSU/WSU in the Rose Bowl.

It's all a cluster ****. Expansion could very well be dead until the 2030's...
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 01:08 PM by RUScarlets.)
09-01-2022 01:06 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(09-01-2022 01:06 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  We wouldn't be hearing all these leaks if the B1G was going to add these schools. This is like the PAC16 that fell through. The B1G Presidents are probably pissed this is all getting leaked and are tired of the press being on them. I think it's 60% chance these teams aren't added this cycle. At least to preserve the Rose Bowl contract through 26' and beyond. I mean, has anyone here addressed this? Can't the Rose Bowl sue the B1G up the ass for taking all of the PACs assets? They will need some compensation. You are not going to put MWC backfills tagging along with OSU/WSU in the Rose Bowl.

It's all a cluster ****. Expansion could very well be dead until the 2030's...

The expanded playoffs is a bigger issue for Rose Bowl.

A 20+ school BIG with at least 6 PAC schools, and the Rose Bowl functioning as BIG championship game and 1st round of playoffs is probably the best way to preserve Rose Bowl
09-01-2022 01:31 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
1. I’ve said this before but I really think that adding additional Pac schools would reduce the payout for BIG schools.

2. Dennis Dodd is obviously pushing for the B12.
09-01-2022 01:40 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-01-2022 09:59 AM)jacksfan29! Wrote:  
(09-01-2022 09:44 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Jon Wilner/John Canzano have been appropriately dubbed Wilzano on twitter.

In a couple hours Canzano will post an article with an anonymous quote out of the Utah athletic department (part time SID employee) and a "PAC insider" (Wilner) stating the PAC are in a place of strength and there is nothing to see here.

Sounds like they hired the guy from Iraq. Big welcome to
Bagdad Bob.
09-01-2022 01:41 PM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(09-01-2022 01:31 PM)Big 12 fan too Wrote:  The expanded playoffs is a bigger issue for Rose Bowl.

A 20+ school BIG with at least 6 PAC schools, and the Rose Bowl functioning as BIG championship game and 1st round of playoffs is probably the best way to preserve Rose Bowl

yeah but you think that all gets worked out in a few weeks? I doubt it. Meeting is tomorrow. PAC10 has to sign a TV deal with someone soon. Plus the B1G would need to play 10 conf games in that case, because they wouldn't play on CCG weekend (unless they are doing a B1G conference SF round). Again... A LOT to work out.

When it's that complicated, you keep it simple stupid... sign the 7 year GoR. Presidents like status quo. They don't believe in the demographic cliff that will hit them like a train shortly.
09-01-2022 01:44 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
I think they had the votes for revenue-neutral expansion with UO, UW, ND, and Stanford.

I think subbing Cal for ND gives up too much money and athletic (FB) performance to get the votes.
09-01-2022 01:45 PM
Boots Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *Memphis
Oregon and Washington would make more money in the Big 10 no doubt.

But their path to the CFB Playoff is WAY easier by staying in the PAC. Those two would have a high shot at the playoff each year.

You think Ohio State and Michigan want to add 4 new schools and more competition for those playoff spots? Unlikely.

Also, high caliber G5s have a good shot as well in the new system. Boise, SDSU, Memphis, and SMU have to be licking their chops at the new playoff system.

Could the CFB playoff halt the expansion wave for the time being...hmm..
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 02:02 PM by Boots.)
09-01-2022 01:52 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(09-01-2022 09:41 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Wilner makes it seem Warren is trying to shoehorn UW/UO first and then convince the B1G Presidents later.

Kliavkoff (through his mouthpiece Wilner) makes it seem Warren is trying to shoehorn UW/UO first and then convince the B1G Presidents later.

"Throw crap against the wall. Maybe some of it will stick"
09-01-2022 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.