Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If hoops became a priority in the SBC, who should we go after??
Bookmark and Share
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
I am definitely curious about this. I believe that realignment is really going to shift to hoops very soon!!!
08-21-2022 12:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
RE: If hoops became a priority in the SBC, who should we go after??
Louisiana Tech, Western Kentucky, and Missouri State would be my top 3.
08-21-2022 12:22 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Nobody. Build and strengthen our own programs and OOC scheduling.

There's very few additions that would bring more NCAA bids, certainly not most of the schools being mentioned as "realistic"
08-21-2022 01:34 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(08-21-2022 01:34 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Nobody. Build and strengthen our own programs and OOC scheduling.

There's very few additions that would bring more NCAA bids, certainly not most of the schools being mentioned as "realistic"

Agree. There’s not a single program (including Memphis) or combination of MBB programs, that could be added that would transform SBC MBB into a two (or more) NCAA bid league.

The only way the SBC MBB improves to consistently deserve multiple bids is if the existing 14 members recruit better and invest in MBB (facilities and coaching)…and most importantly, beat top teams OOC.

It’s going to be a work in progress requiring multiple years of sustained effort.
08-21-2022 05:26 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Hoops won’t become a priority in the SBC.

There you go. Problem “solved.” Kind of.
08-21-2022 07:15 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
(08-21-2022 01:34 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Nobody. Build and strengthen our own programs and OOC scheduling.

Agreed. Marshall, ODU, and JMU have potential. Kerns is doing work at App, if CCU would fire their coach they’d be better.

GA St and USA always seem to be one player away from a top 100 program.
08-21-2022 07:24 AM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(08-21-2022 07:15 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Hoops won’t become a priority in the SBC.

I know hoops at ODU, Ga State and JMU have aspirations beyond existence.

I hope Coastal is better rounded, if not, every division has a near guaranteed win in the conference tourney.

Do mullet people not follow ??
08-21-2022 07:50 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2022 07:24 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

Agreed. Marshall, ODU, and JMU have potential. Kerns is doing work at App, if CCU would fire their coach they’d be better.

Looks to me like there's at least 5 SBC programs that consider this somewhat of a priority. That's a good start.

GMU, ODU, VCU, JMU, UR once formed the core of a multi-bid league that produced a couple final 4 runs for GMU and VCU.

There's no reason that couldn't happen again, but it takes a lot of work and investment. Picking a few teams to add to the conference is a lazy approach and by itself won't work.
08-21-2022 07:53 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU is 71-106 since 2016. Improvements are needed there as well.
08-21-2022 08:00 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2022 08:00 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  JMU is 71-106 since 2016. Improvements are needed there as well.

No doubt, but we are putting in the investments, and have seen improvements happening the past year or two. Covid and being "banned" by the conference for post season had some negative impacts.

ODU and JMU were both strong in the past, and both have a desire to return to that.

Here's a good example of JMU's potential. This wasn't just a one off miracle, but we do still need to build more consistency. We've had some up and down swings as a young team.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2022 08:29 AM by JMURocks.)
08-21-2022 08:04 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

(08-21-2022 07:50 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Do mullet people not follow ??

Most of us are trying to figure out what is going on. I'm assuming football is such a priority at the moment they re happy to let Cliff hang out as long as he wants. He hasn't mentioned anything about retiring recently AFAIK but had said he needed to be around to assist with the transfer to the SBC which he said would take 4 years IIRC ... but we are way past that now.

But times may be changing, it appeared to be a similar situation with the women's team but they pulled the trigger last year after years of mediocrity and a dash of success here and there. Maybe it was just the opportunity to snag a successful D2 coach from Lander but we seem to be paying closer attention to hoops.
08-21-2022 08:07 AM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-21-2022 05:26 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Agree. There’s not a single program (including Memphis) or combination of MBB programs, that could be added that would transform SBC MBB into a two (or more) NCAA bid league.

The only way the SBC MBB improves to consistently deserve multiple bids is if the existing 14 members recruit better and invest in MBB (facilities and coaching)…and most importantly, beat top teams OOC.

It’s going to be a work in progress requiring multiple years of sustained effort.

^^What they said.^^

Furthermore, adding schools to shore up specific sports is just a bad move unless maybe it's a single-sport affiliate scenario. If they have a down period, then you're stuck with them in everything else for no good reason. We went through that in the first incarnation of CUSA with DePaul, Marquette, and St. Louis.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2022 08:35 AM by HarborPointe.)
08-21-2022 08:21 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan. . . . Obviously
08-21-2022 09:18 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

(08-21-2022 07:50 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(08-21-2022 07:15 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Hoops won’t become a priority in the SBC.

I know hoops at ODU, Ga State and JMU have aspirations beyond existence.

I hope Coastal is better rounded, if not, every division has a near guaranteed win in the conference tourney.

Do mullet people not follow ??

Here is the order or priority at Coastal:

1. Football
2. Baseball

3. Other stuff

I’m not saying that’s right. I want us to be national champions at everything we do. But in reality, if it isn’t football or baseball, we at Coastal have pretty much demonstrated that it’s an afterthought.

Also, it’s great to say that JMU has “aspirations” but slow your role a little there. Your basketball program is behind Coastal’s program for recent history. Clean your own house.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2022 09:24 AM by CoastalAlum2011.)
08-21-2022 09:22 AM
TealNation Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(08-21-2022 08:07 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  
(08-21-2022 07:50 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Do mullet people not follow ??

Most of us are trying to figure out what is going on. I'm assuming football is such a priority at the moment they re happy to let Cliff hang out as long as he wants. He hasn't mentioned anything about retiring recently AFAIK but had said he needed to be around to assist with the transfer to the SBC which he said would take 4 years IIRC ... but we are way past that now.

But times may be changing, it appeared to be a similar situation with the women's team but they pulled the trigger last year after years of mediocrity and a dash of success here and there. Maybe it was just the opportunity to snag a successful D2 coach from Lander but we seem to be paying closer attention to hoops.

Coastal men's basketball is the epitome of crippling mediocrity. Closely approaching 7 seasons in the SBC now and still not a thing to show for it. It's a reason they aren't followed nearly as much as football and baseball. Because WHO CARES? Maybe we'll luck into a coach to pull the program out after Cliff decides to leave.

Women's basketball has already been more active with a pulse since the new hiring. Hopefully they'll get a shot in the arm.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2022 12:59 PM by TealNation.)
08-21-2022 10:01 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(08-21-2022 07:53 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(08-21-2022 07:24 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

Looks to me like there's at least 5 SBC programs that consider this somewhat of a priority. That's a good start.

GMU, ODU, VCU, JMU, UR once formed the core of a multi-bid league that produced a couple final 4 runs for GMU and VCU.

There's no reason that couldn't happen again, but it takes a lot of work and investment. Picking a few teams to add to the conference is a lazy approach and by itself won't work.

Right. Waiving a magic wand and adding Memphis to boost our conference would only bring Memphis down not boost the league as a whole. The Tigers would regress to the mean not pull everyone up to their level.
08-21-2022 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

APPdiesel Offline
All American

Coastal has GOT TO build a new arena. It’s as D2 as it gets.
08-21-2022 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TealNation Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(08-21-2022 10:22 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Coastal has GOT TO build a new arena. It’s as D2 as it gets.
Coastal does not care about basketball because they do not win at a high level.

Coastal football is getting new stadium facilities and additions after success.

Coastal soccer is getting a new stadium across 501 after years of success at a high level.

Coastal baseball got a beautiful new stadium a few years ago after several years of high success.

Maybe if Coastal basketball wins something, they can have nice things too. You act like a D2, you get treated like one
08-21-2022 10:31 AM
TrojansOneandAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy
Can we stop thinking of new reasons to try to add WKU? They cussed us, flipped us off, and farted before they left room and they deserve to stew in their mess. I'll scream it every time I have to.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2022 10:31 AM by TrojansOneandAll.)
08-21-2022 10:31 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(08-21-2022 08:00 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  JMU is 71-106 since 2016. Improvements are needed there as well.

Improvements are needed, across the SBC, but you’re living in the past regarding JMU’s most recent MBB record.

A new HC (Mark Byington, the former SBC HC at GS) was hired 2 years ago. His record is 28-21.

Byington has started to turn the program around, posting winning seasons in both years he’s been at JMU. He’s also completely rebuilt the roster with a combo of solid young recruits and top transfers. This coming season JMU MBB will be deep and experienced.

Coming off of two COVID shortened seasons, Byington’s first year at JMU saw the Dukes tie for the CAA regular season top spot with an 8-2 record, and last year JMU’s MBB defeated every VA program it played, including UVA, GMU, Radford, ODU and W&M (twice).

Coinciding with JMU hiring a new MBB HC is the opening of the Atlantic Union Bank Center (AUBC). The new arena, an 8500 seat, $140 million+ State-of-the-art basketball palace is a gem, and no doubt has helped Byington recruit.

The jury is still out on whether Byington can continue to improve the program, but as of this moment, the future looks bright.
08-21-2022 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.