Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One of Canzano's sources revealed
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
One of Canzano's sources revealed
I think everyone that comes to this board saw this at some point.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-th...lar-threat

Quote:Said one AD, “The dialogue, candor, and environment have been positive. Everyone is moving in the same direction.”

Are there still threats out there?

Sure.

Said the AD: “It’s a singular threat — the Big Ten and the Big Ten only. That’s it. The Big 12 threat is laughable.”

In this interview with Washington State AD Pat Chun, starting at 3:30 he pretty much says the same thing. He even states that he has made the singular threat comment multiple times.

Seems pointless for Canzano to have kept his name hidden if he's saying it that freely.
08-13-2022 03:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: One of Canzano's sources revealed
If any Pac-12 school is considering an offer to move to another conference — regardless of what conference it is — the AD of a Pac-12 school with no offers to move to another conference will be one of the last to know.
08-13-2022 05:36 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(08-13-2022 05:36 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  If any Pac-12 school is considering an offer to move to another conference — regardless of what conference it is — the AD of a Pac-12 school with no offers to move to another conference will be one of the last to know.

Right. If the Big 12 isn’t interested in Wash St, of course their AD is a going to be in the dark.
08-13-2022 06:04 AM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
I don’t think the Big 12 will get PAC teams unless Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal get invited to the Big 10. Then the 4 corners teams would probably have little choice but to join the Big 12.

Really this means that the Big 12 isn’t a threat to any PAC schools except Oregon State and WSU.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022 08:46 AM by Poster.)
08-13-2022 08:18 AM
OneSockUp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama
(08-13-2022 03:44 AM)Alanda Wrote:  Seems pointless for Canzano to have kept his name hidden if he's saying it that freely.

Two things: First if a reporter says that something is off the record, then he needs to keep that source anonymous -- whether or not the source goes public later.

Second: This sentiment may be shared by all 10 athletic directors in the PAC, so Canzano's source may have been a different AD who just had the same opinion.
08-13-2022 08:26 AM
Alanda Offline
All American

(08-13-2022 05:36 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  If any Pac-12 school is considering an offer to move to another conference — regardless of what conference it is — the AD of a Pac-12 school with no offers to move to another conference will be one of the last to know.

Exactly. That's why I don't see this coming from most other ADs in the conference.

Side note: I couldn't PM you, but I had been wanting to tell you I have a cousin that played for Hawaii.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232932926298

(08-13-2022 08:18 AM)Poster Wrote:  I don’t think the Big 12 will get PAC teams unless Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal get invited to the Big 10. Then the 4 corners teams would probably have little choice but to join the Big 12.

Really this means that the Big 12 isn’t a threat to any PAC schools except Oregon State and WSU.

This is an angle that isn't said enough. Even if they can't actively poach teams, being an option for others to go to after another round of exits should make them a concern. If the 4Cs don't have any other options then they would still try to make the best of the PAC.

(08-13-2022 08:26 AM)OneSockUp Wrote:  
(08-13-2022 03:44 AM)Alanda Wrote:  Seems pointless for Canzano to have kept his name hidden if he's saying it that freely.

Two things: First if a reporter says that something is off the record, then he needs to keep that source anonymous -- whether or not the source goes public later.

Second: This sentiment may be shared by all 10 athletic directors in the PAC, so Canzano's source may have been a different AD who just had the same opinion.

Addressing the second part first. By this AD's own admission he has been saying the B1G is the only threat to the conference multiple times. Usually when I see someone pushing that they have said something it's because it's something they come up with and/or feel it is right and want others to know they are right about it. Why is another AD going to be repeating what WSU's AD said? Four are going to be focusing on making it into the B1G. I don't see them caring enough to make that kind of statement. Another four may be planning to go to that "non-threat" when three or four of those others leave. I don't see them making that statement even off the record just in case they get found. No need to burn any possible bridges with the new conference. Looks pretty obvious that this is the comment of someone who doesn't think they have the same options.

With the first of course a reporter will protect their sources. But if this AD by his own admission is constantly saying those things and almost verbatim in this video, I just don't see why other AD's are going to parrot that based on what I said before. And that doesn't suggest he ever intended it to be off the record. Sounds more like Canzano felt some other reason not to say his name.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2022 05:33 PM by Alanda.)
08-13-2022 03:18 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(08-13-2022 03:18 PM)Alanda Wrote:  

Exactly. That's why I don't see this coming from most other ADs in the conference.

Side note: I couldn't PM you, but I had been wanting to tell you I have a cousin that played for Hawaii.

That's awesome! Larry Jones (#67) was the starting right guard and one of the top players on Hawaii's 1989 team, which made history by breaking the 10-year losing streak against arch-rival BYU and by earning the first bowl invitation in the school's Division 1 history (against Michigan State in the Aloha Bowl). This was at a time when the WAC was actually considered a power football conference.

Here's a link to an article about Larry as a Los Angeles high school senior explaining his choice to play at Hawaii:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-...story.html

Here's a short article about the huge win against BYU:

https://www.espnhonolulu.com/2018/10/12/...e-numbers/

And here's a video of the complete Hawaii-BYU game; I suggest you watch from the 10:45 to the 12:25 mark, which shows Larry leading the blockers clearing the way for UH's first touchdown (there's a brief close-up of him between the 12:15 and 12:20 marks):

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/video/2020...ll-vs-byu/

If you talk to him, tell him thanks again from a long-time Hawaii fan for donning the green and white!
08-13-2022 04:30 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
The Big 12 probably isn't a threat unless the Pac 10 loses more schools because they are basically equals. The biggest problem with the Pac 10 is the fact that a number of schools are possibly headed to the Big 10. The Big 12 is more stable, because it has no schools the Big 10 is really interested in taking. I don't think anyone in the Pac 10 trust anyone else presently in their conference.
08-13-2022 04:42 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
Seems undiplomatic for any pac10 AD to say unless he knows there is no chance to get a big 12 invite. But he is also saying the obvious, the biggest threat to the pac is the B1G followed but unequal revenue sharing and lack of a competitive media offer.
08-13-2022 05:06 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(08-13-2022 08:26 AM)OneSockUp Wrote:  

As a reporter dealing with multiple sources each day, I fully agree.

Well put, OneSockUp.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022 05:53 PM by bill dazzle.)
08-13-2022 05:53 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
The PAC media days suggested otherwise.

Regardless, the P2 era is more than just a “threat” to the other conferences. It’s the end of these schools as peers, and the notion of the PAC as a power conference. The PAC staying together isn’t changing anything in that regard. All three are just rump conferences on a course towards a middle tier.

Immediate consolidation may not change that, but it’s the only chance, and comes with more revenue.
08-13-2022 06:23 PM
Advertisement

Alanda Offline
All American

(08-13-2022 04:30 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(08-13-2022 03:18 PM)Alanda Wrote:  

That's awesome! Larry Jones (#67) was the starting right guard and one of the top players on Hawaii's 1989 team, which made history by breaking the 10-year losing streak against arch-rival BYU and by earning the first bowl invitation in the school's Division 1 history (against Michigan State in the Aloha Bowl). This was at a time when the WAC was actually considered a power football conference.

Here's a link to an article about Larry as a Los Angeles high school senior explaining his choice to play at Hawaii:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-...story.html

Here's a short article about the huge win against BYU:

https://www.espnhonolulu.com/2018/10/12/...e-numbers/

And here's a video of the complete Hawaii-BYU game; I suggest you watch from the 10:45 to the 12:25 mark, which shows Larry leading the blockers clearing the way for UH's first touchdown (there's a brief close-up of him between the 12:15 and 12:20 marks):

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/video/2020...ll-vs-byu/

If you talk to him, tell him thanks again from a long-time Hawaii fan for donning the green and white!

Thanks for the links. Coincidentally #67 was my number in high school. I'll try my best to remember the next time I see him. He unfortunately had a stroke a little while back, but he's still hanging in there. He has to use a cane to get around.

(08-13-2022 05:06 PM)Huan Wrote:  Seems undiplomatic for any pac10 AD to say unless he knows there is no chance to get a big 12 invite. But he is also saying the obvious, the biggest threat to the pac is the B1G followed but unequal revenue sharing and lack of a competitive media offer.

I agree. I understand emotions are running high, but that's something you keep to yourself as there's really no benefit saying out loud. Like you said it's obvious to most anyway, and it can end up being off-putting to others which may not be helpful down the road.
08-13-2022 10:30 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I think one significant point is being missed.

He's an AD...he's not likely to know anything anyway because these are decisions made at the Presidential level and the trustee/regent level.
08-14-2022 07:32 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-14-2022 07:32 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I think one significant point is being missed.

He's an AD...he's not likely to know anything anyway because these are decisions made at the Presidential level and the trustee/regent level.

He'll know the financials of the PAC-12 (soon to be the PAC-10), and the information passed on from prospective media partners by the PAC-12's media consultants.

So the threat assessment should be read in that light... not like a click bait rumor monger saying this school is or is not heading to that conference... but as a normal corporate style threat assessment.

Whether the reporter got the assessment directly from him, or whether it was repeated by the Oregon State AD, doesn't seem to be all that critical.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2022 08:42 AM by BruceMcF.)
08-14-2022 08:41 AM
MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
(08-14-2022 07:32 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I think one significant point is being missed.

This is a good point, but Chun is also 1) on the transformation committee, 2) one of the most connected, industry-wide, ADs and 3) his boss is one of the leaders in the Pac-12 and one of the five most athletically engaged university presidents in the country.

He's not going to know everything, but he's one of the most informed ADs, in my personal experience.
08-14-2022 08:51 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
What he is saying isn't a secret. It is a simple assessment of facts that are obvious to most readers. He isn't speaking about threats to any particular schools. He is talking about the survivability of the PAC as a conference. Absent further raids by the Big Ten, there is no other threat to the PAC. With further raids, the dissolution of the PAC is more likely than not. Then, and only then, does the Big 12 become a factor as the only safe harbor for PAC remnants.
08-14-2022 09:07 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-14-2022 09:07 AM)ken d Wrote:  What he is saying isn't a secret. It is a simple assessment of facts that are obvious to most readers. He isn't speaking about threats to any particular schools. He is talking about the survivability of the PAC as a conference. Absent further raids by the Big Ten, there is no other threat to the PAC. With further raids, the dissolution of the PAC is more likely than not. Then, and only then, does the Big 12 become a factor as the only safe harbor for PAC remnants.

Its certainly possible the 4 corners schools decide the risk of Big 10 raids is too great to stay put, regardless of whether one happens or not.
08-14-2022 12:04 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(08-14-2022 09:07 AM)ken d Wrote:  What he is saying isn't a secret. It is a simple assessment of facts that are obvious to most readers. He isn't speaking about threats to any particular schools. He is talking about the survivability of the PAC as a conference. Absent further raids by the Big Ten, there is no other threat to the PAC. With further raids, the dissolution of the PAC is more likely than not. Then, and only then, does the Big 12 become a factor as the only safe harbor for PAC remnants.

Facts? Lol
08-14-2022 12:09 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I think short term (next 30 to 60 days) the B12 is not a threat. Once Pa12 Tv deal gets close it may be. If Pac comes in south of 30 mil (likely in my opinion), and the big 2 or 3 want extra to sign deal the 4 corner schools will have to consider B12. Time will tell.
08-14-2022 02:49 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-14-2022 12:09 PM)Big 12 fan too Wrote:  

Facts? Lol

I think what he is saying is likely, but yes, its not a "fact." If the 4 corners schools were thinking about leaving, the Washington St. AD would probably be the last to know. Utah seems pretty adamant about staying, but there hasn't been as much from the other 3.

And, of course, if the Pac deal is $25 million a school and the Big 12 deal $40 million, then the Pac would quickly disappear. So ESPN's willingness to pay for the Pac is a big threat as well.
08-14-2022 02:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.