Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P1G Ditching ESPN
Bookmark and Share
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
P1G Ditching ESPN
MAC Opportuity

The MAC should demand a MAC Channel, even if it's a ESPN+ type.

Can the MAC and the rest of the G5 market itself as true amateur football?
08-09-2022 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: P1G Ditching ESPN
(08-09-2022 09:05 AM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  MAC Opportuity

As long as that MAC Channel dedicates half the day talking about Toledo's recruiting achievements.
08-09-2022 09:10 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(08-09-2022 09:10 AM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  

As long as that MAC Channel dedicates half the day talking about Toledo's recruiting achievements.

Plus, during halftime of every game shown.
08-09-2022 10:07 AM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
What leverage does the MAC have to demand anything? They are the only conference willing to play midweek games for next to nothing. There is no leverage there. NBC is not looking to launch a Tuesday night MAC game of the week now or ever…

The only thing the MAC may be working on is a 20 year extension of its midweek deal in order to ensure their place is “secure” on TV within a changing landscape. Outside of the other P5 conferences in with ESPN, the AAC and Sun Belt will likely take up whatever openings are left for coverage because frankly those conferences are just run better.
08-09-2022 10:25 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(08-09-2022 10:25 AM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  What leverage does the MAC have to demand anything? They are the only conference willing to play midweek games for next to nothing. There is no leverage there. NBC is not looking to launch a Tuesday night MAC game of the week now or ever…

The only thing the MAC may be working on is a 20 year extension of its midweek deal in order to ensure their place is “secure” on TV within a changing landscape. Outside of the other P5 conferences in with ESPN, the AAC and Sun Belt will likely take up whatever openings are left for coverage because frankly those conferences are just run better.

Yes. IMO, the lowly Sun Belt Conference has leaped over the MAC. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel.
08-09-2022 10:44 AM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
This might create some minor leverage for us. Maybe a bit more $/school and a few less weekday games in the next contract. Everything helps...
08-09-2022 11:21 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Sounds like ESPN said no to the Big10 greed.

Hope we part ways with ESPN too eventually.
08-09-2022 11:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(08-09-2022 10:25 AM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  What leverage does the MAC have to demand anything? They are the only conference willing to play midweek games for next to nothing. There is no leverage there. NBC is not looking to launch a Tuesday night MAC game of the week now or ever…

Well stated. Very poor MAC leadership over the years to get us to this point.
08-09-2022 11:46 AM
HUSKiESbelieve Offline
Special Teams

Perhaps there may be more openings to have some MAC games showcased.

However ESPN should not have exclusive rights and the MAC needs to have their own quality streaming service because fans can actually have an avenue to watch the games they want without ESPN controlling what is available.

Don't burn the ESPN bridge just yet but we need more ways to watch with live high quality streaming videos.
08-09-2022 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

(08-09-2022 09:10 AM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  

Speaking of Toledo...and I know I've been upfront about my disdain for the Toledo obsession around here, but...this made me think of Toledo's mysticism around here.

The Coach's Poll was released yesterday or the day before and Texas....yes....Texas, is ranked 18 and received 1 first place vote.

Now, I've found the fascination with Texas in the Coach's Poll to be unbelievable the past few years. Nebraska is another one. These two school are always over ranked, especially in the pre-season ranking.

But they've outdone themselves this year by having one of their voters actually giving them a 1st place vote. This team can't even win its own conference.
08-09-2022 12:18 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(08-09-2022 11:34 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Sounds like ESPN said no to the Big10 greed.

The ESPN stranglehold on sports broadcasting is fading.

It appeared or a while that through their streaming hub, they had a great product to be a one-stop-shop place.

But, whether it's through their own decision-making or the particular leagues, they soon will have less programing than they do right now.

They'll lose MLS to Apple next year and are close to losing the Big Ten. Btw, the B1G is also looking at Apple and Prime to have a streaming partner. From what I've heard, Apple is attempting to build a sports hub and they already have lined up some less mainstream, more Euro-centric sports. Obviously, MLS (which is less Euro but has a pretty decent viewership in Mexico) is going there but I believe they have a deal with F1 and are targeting some European soccer leagues.

The 500 lb gorilla in the room though is the NFL and I bet ESPN is shedding weight to try to make a bid for that package.

But, I've also heard Apple is going to make a run at it as well. And if Apple can secure that behemoth, they have the anchor for that sports hub.
08-09-2022 12:27 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(08-09-2022 11:34 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Sounds like ESPN said no to the Big10 greed.

No, B10 is now on 3 broadcast networks, not 2. NBC only had ND, CBS pretty much only SEC. Still on a cable sports network platform in FOX, B10 and perhaps even USA, CBS Sports.

They have no need to be on a ESPN+ since all games will be on a major platform live.

NIU, on the other hand, needs ESPN+ for pre-MACTION matchups and some non conference.

I would also say landing LA market was likely a difference maker.

I sure hope we don't one day get offered a better G5 in realignment, P5 for the dreamers or even a better, more lucrative tv deal. Don't want us to look bad when we turn down that greed.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2022 11:32 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
08-09-2022 12:32 PM
All American

(08-09-2022 12:27 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

It appeared or a while that through their streaming hub, they had a great product to be a one-stop-shop place.

But, whether it's through their own decision-making or the particular leagues, they soon will have less programing than they do right now.

They'll lose MLS to Apple next year and are close to losing the Big Ten. Btw, the B1G is also looking at Apple and Prime to have a streaming partner. From what I've heard, Apple is attempting to build a sports hub and they already have lined up some less mainstream, more Euro-centric sports. Obviously, MLS (which is less Euro but has a pretty decent viewership in Mexico) is going there but I believe they have a deal with F1 and are targeting some European soccer leagues.

The 500 lb gorilla in the room though is the NFL and I bet ESPN is shedding weight to try to make a bid for that package.

But, I've also heard Apple is going to make a run at it as well. And if Apple can secure that behemoth, they have the anchor for that sports hub.

I would think NFL wants out of ESPN. As you mentioned, they too want the digital media and the premium they will get paid. Show your 4 national games on a Sunday on a network, then throw everything else to digital media for out of market. It will really benefit the out of town fan and lower the cost it appears.
08-09-2022 12:37 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

(08-09-2022 12:37 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(08-09-2022 12:27 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

I would think NFL wants out of ESPN. As you mentioned, they too want the digital media and the premium they will get paid. Show your 4 national games on a Sunday on a network, then throw everything else to digital media for out of market. It will really benefit the out of town fan and lower the cost it appears.

Not that I care, but this will be the death of DirecTV.

This also, if they lean heavily on a streaming deal, could be the big blow to cable companies that we've been expecting for some time now.

Personally, I haven't watched a non-Super Bowl NFL game in probably close to a decade. I lost interest in the NFL a long time ago and (I was a St. Louis Rams fan) when the NFL and the Rams did what they did to get out of the lease in St. Louis, it was the final nail in the coffin for me.

So, having the NFL anywhere is not a needle mover for me, but I completely understand the power that league has regarding viewership and what it can mean for a provider to have them locked in. And its massive.
08-09-2022 01:33 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
Thinking about this more the best angle the MAC may have is the fact that there is now a big gap in ESPN's presence within the MAC footprint. Large media markets with huge Big Ten followings like Chicago, Indy, Detroit, etc. just all left the network. Are people in Detroit or Chicago still going to be that interested when Gameday is talking about SEC teams the whole time and the BIG is barely mentioned? A lot of of viewers in traditional BIG markets may move away from traditional ESPN coverage to whatever programming the other networks roll out to discuss BIG games.

If it breaks that way then maybe the MAC has a chance at a better deal. The AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt all overlap each other on top of the SEC and ACC. The MAC, much like the MWC, has always had the advantage of being the only G5 conference within its footprint. Maybe there is finally a window there for the conference to unlock more value as a result.
08-11-2022 11:44 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(08-11-2022 11:44 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  Thinking about this more the best angle the MAC may have is the fact that there is now a big gap in ESPN's presence within the MAC footprint. Large media markets with huge Big Ten followings like Chicago, Indy, Detroit, etc. just all left the network. Are people in Detroit or Chicago still going to be that interested when Gameday is talking about SEC teams the whole time and the BIG is barely mentioned? A lot of of viewers in traditional BIG markets may move away from traditional ESPN coverage to whatever programming the other networks roll out to discuss BIG games.

If it breaks that way then maybe the MAC has a chance at a better deal. The AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt all overlap each other on top of the SEC and ACC. The MAC, much like the MWC, has always had the advantage of being the only G5 conference within its footprint. Maybe there is finally a window there for the conference to unlock more value as a result.

Yep, this is what I said above. If ESPN also lost the MAC somehow, they would have a huge college football void in the midwest. A few extra million and 30% less weekday games would go a long way.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2022 07:15 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
08-12-2022 07:15 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

(08-12-2022 07:15 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(08-11-2022 11:44 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  Thinking about this more the best angle the MAC may have is the fact that there is now a big gap in ESPN's presence within the MAC footprint. Large media markets with huge Big Ten followings like Chicago, Indy, Detroit, etc. just all left the network. Are people in Detroit or Chicago still going to be that interested when Gameday is talking about SEC teams the whole time and the BIG is barely mentioned? A lot of of viewers in traditional BIG markets may move away from traditional ESPN coverage to whatever programming the other networks roll out to discuss BIG games.

Yep, this is what I said above. If ESPN also lost the MAC somehow, they would have a huge college football void in the midwest. A few extra million and 30% less weekday games would go a long way.

I've always figured MAC Weeknight MACtion viewership wasn't such a Midwest thing but was probably pretty national since its (viewership) is driving by two parties. 1) the fans of the two schools playing and 2) sports gamblers. There's also probably a third party and that's the one that just wants to watch college football every single day of their lives and will watch basically anything. But that's also a national group.

I mean, I don't tune in for Ball State playing Toledo or Buffalo playing Miami. I'll often turn it on just to check it out for a second and see the score, but those games never keep my attention and I absolutely don't go out of my way or plan my night around watching any of them. NIU game....definitely. But no one else.
08-12-2022 09:16 AM
Advertisement

All American

FOX already has their own version. I am sure its cuts in already. So does B10 and SEC networks. There is enough P5 brand and T25, marquee matchups to quench the thirst all around for those 2. Those are the ones in big markets/name recognition.
08-12-2022 10:00 AM
All American

(08-12-2022 09:16 AM)Big Red Wrote:  
(08-12-2022 07:15 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

I've always figured MAC Weeknight MACtion viewership wasn't such a Midwest thing but was probably pretty national since its (viewership) is driving by two parties. 1) the fans of the two schools playing and 2) sports gamblers. There's also probably a third party and that's the one that just wants to watch college football every single day of their lives and will watch basically anything. But that's also a national group.

I mean, I don't tune in for Ball State playing Toledo or Buffalo playing Miami. I'll often turn it on just to check it out for a second and see the score, but those games never keep my attention and I absolutely don't go out of my way or plan my night around watching any of them. NIU game....definitely. But no one else.

We are talking the same network that shows cornhole, ax throwing and CFL football. People want to watch sports and ESPN in general and in football season, when you are the only game on, people tune in.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2022 10:03 AM by randyfensfanclub1.)
08-12-2022 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.