Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Who's most likely to make their conference's 2022 CCG?
Louisville
NC State
Minnesota
Purdue
WVU
Charlotte
UTEP
Eastern Michigan
Cal
Oregon State
Wazzu
Nevada
Kentucky
Ole Miss
One of 9 Sun Belt teams
All Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who's most likely to make their first FBS CCG appearance this season?
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Who's most likely to make their first FBS CCG appearance this season?
Here's a list of programs without a single conference championship game appearance, I left off teams that made a CCG in a different conference than their current one. It's not a great indication of a program "drought" since a few below won their conference when they didn't have a championship game, others are recent FCS callouts, and the Sun Belt has only has a few CCGs on record, but interesting to call out. The question is however, which team on the list is most likely to break their streak this fall? There are quite a few I had to leave off the poll, though I'm guessing no one was gonna vote for Kansas or Vandy. And yeah, Indy teams shouldn't be listed by I wanted to have a complete list.

No CCG appearance:
AAC - USF, Tulane
ACC - Louisville, NC State, Syracuse
Big Ten - Illinois, IU, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers
Big 12 - KU, WVU, Texas Tech
C-USA - Charlotte, FIU, UTEP
Indy - Army, Liberty, New Mexico State, UConn, UMass
MAC - Eastern Michigan
Pac-12 - Cal, Oregon State, Wazzu
MWC - Nevada, New Mexico, UNLV
SEC - Kentucky, Ole Miss, Vandy
Sun Belt - Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, UL-Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy, JMU, Old Dominion
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022 12:51 PM by Love and Honor.)
07-31-2022 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: Who's most likely to make their first FBS CCG appearance this season?
I went with Old Mrs.
07-31-2022 01:35 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

Curious which Sun Belt team(s) folks are thinking about, I admittedly don't follow them much.
08-01-2022 08:35 AM
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(08-01-2022 08:35 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Curious which Sun Belt team(s) folks are thinking about, I admittedly don't follow them much.

For the SBC West, Louisiana has had a stranglehold on that division basically since their division started, but some believe that this could be the year that South Alabama wrestles away the division crown. UL has a big rebuild with a new head coach., but it's still hard to see anyone else other than USA stepping up to take the SBC West crown this season.

Georgia State is expected to be strong this year, but their challenge is App State, Coastal Carolina, and Marshall are sitting there all expecting their own championship hunts. JMU is an FCS championship caliber making the jump but is roster adjusting and is technically ineligible for championships and bowls this year, and ODU actually would have been a darkhorse in the '22 CUSA East this year but probably doesn't have the offense yet to really make the jump, but I think ODU is poised to make a charge in 2023.

Of the teams on your list, South Alabama and Georgia State are the two contenders probably in the hunt to get off the list this year with USA being the most likely.
08-01-2022 09:12 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Voted Louisville since I have a vested interest in UCF's SOS
08-01-2022 09:18 AM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
NC State
08-01-2022 09:31 AM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
Nevada. Kinda shocked they hadn’t made it prior, they usually have a pretty solid team.
08-01-2022 01:04 PM
Advertisement

VA Tigeer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(08-01-2022 09:31 AM)No Bull Wrote:  NC State

My vote too
08-01-2022 01:11 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(08-01-2022 09:12 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 08:35 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Curious which Sun Belt team(s) folks are thinking about, I admittedly don't follow them much.

For the SBC West, Louisiana has had a stranglehold on that division basically since their division started, but some believe that this could be the year that South Alabama wrestles away the division crown. UL has a big rebuild with a new head coach., but it's still hard to see anyone else other than USA stepping up to take the SBC West crown this season.

Georgia State is expected to be strong this year, but their challenge is App State, Coastal Carolina, and Marshall are sitting there all expecting their own championship hunts. JMU is an FCS championship caliber making the jump but is roster adjusting and is technically ineligible for championships and bowls this year, and ODU actually would have been a darkhorse in the '22 CUSA East this year but probably doesn't have the offense yet to really make the jump, but I think ODU is poised to make a charge in 2023.

Of the teams on your list, South Alabama and Georgia State are the two contenders probably in the hunt to get off the list this year with USA being the most likely.

Interesting. As an outsider it feels like another App State/Louisiana game is very likely, though I can see Marshall making a run for it. Phil Steele picks UL to win the West again but Troy to finish 2nd there (Southern Miss 3rd, South Alabama 4th); he's hardly foolproof though he tends to be the most accurate/thorough in the long run.

On that note, in Steele's 2022 preview the only teams from the OP picked to finish in their division's top two (or conference's top three if no divisions) were NC State (2nd in ACC Atlantic), UTEP (3rd in C-USA overall), and Troy (2nd in the Belt West).
08-01-2022 05:16 PM
Advertisement

Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
Charlotte. Loaded / experienced at skill positions on offense; any improvement to 2021's abysmal defense under new DC & staff could propel them to CCG.

Not a lock, but a decent bet.
08-02-2022 09:04 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

Congrats to Troy, Tulane, and Purdue for making their first CCG game appearances!
12-02-2022 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.