Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

99 Years and No Way Out?
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
99 Years and No Way Out?
Quote:The issue of “when” Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 Conference has been the biggest question surrounding the league since the bombshell came down last summer.

We may have some insight into what the plans of Oklahoma and Texas might be courtesy of a recent report from Chip Brown of Horns247.

As of now, both schools have said publicly they plan to join the SEC when the Big 12’s current television rights agreement expires in July 2025. However, as Brown rightly notes, the teams will have to pay the roughly $80 million in exit fees regardless of if they leave in 2023 or 2025, as the members of the league agreed to a “99-year” grant of media rights in 2012.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2...24-report/

Until the year 2111 anyone who signed the grant of media rights in 2012 is beholden to a 2 year media exit fee for leaving the XII.

One can look at this two ways. You can say the 76 or 80 million exit fee would dissuade a university from issuing a line of credit to quickly pay the amount and then repay over a 20 year period.

The other way of looking at it is who in god's green earth would want to sign on to a bylaw with an exit fee of 2 years of media rights? You would have to be completely (BYU), utterly (UC), desperate (UCF) to agree to those terms to compete in an entry level power conference time zones away.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022 12:02 AM by Kit-Cat.)
07-07-2022 10:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: 99 Years and No Way Out?
...I got 99 problems but a (Notre) Dame ain't one...

COGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGS
07-07-2022 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(07-07-2022 10:57 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
Quote:The issue of “when” Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 Conference has been the biggest question surrounding the league since the bombshell came down last summer.

We may have some insight into what the plans of Oklahoma and Texas might be courtesy of a recent report from Chip Brown of Horns247.

As of now, both schools have said publicly they plan to join the SEC when the Big 12’s current television rights agreement expires in July 2025. However, as Brown rightly notes, the teams will have to pay the roughly $80 million in exit fees regardless of if they leave in 2023 or 2025, as the members of the league agreed to a “99-year” grant of media rights in 2012.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-...832/page/2

Until the year 2111 anyone who signed the grant of media rights in 2012 is beholden to a 2 year media exit fee for leaving the XII.

One can look at this two ways. You can say the 76 or 80 million exit fee would dissuade a university from issuing a line of credit to quickly pay the amount and then repay over a 20 year period.

The other way of looking at it is who in god's green earth would want to sign on to a bylaw with an exit fee of 2 years of media rights? You would have to be completely (BYU), utterly (UC), desperate (UCF) to agree to those terms to compete in an entry level power conference time zones away.

07-coffee3

Stop posting this nonsense.

There are currently exit fess for leaving prior to the 99 year commitment to being in the conference, given in 2011. This is fairly common, with the SEC now having exit fees.

There is not a 99-year grant of rights. Stop trying to conflate the two. It is a vastly different thing.

According to the Big 12’s bylaws, the 10 programs have agreed — with the other members — to remain in the conference until July 1, 2111, a period of 99 years from the July 1, 2012 agreement.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2022 11:19 PM by Big 12 fan too.)
07-07-2022 11:18 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-...832/page/2

07-coffee3

Who would stay in the AAC willingly?

Nobody.
07-07-2022 11:19 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

The other way of looking at it is who in god's green earth would want to sign on to a bylaw with an exit fee of 2 years of media rights?

CUSA's exit fee is 2 years of Conference distributions.
07-08-2022 04:14 AM
Advertisement

Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats
Hey pussycat I heard PAC 12 has really good women's volleyball!!!!
07-08-2022 05:14 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa

07-coffee3

With all the restructuring that is rapidly occurring in the power ranks, this may be the best time to be going to the B12 (rather than remaining in the AAC or as an independent). I was always skeptical of a power conference breakaway from D1, but the tectonic shifts are further stratifying football.
07-08-2022 05:55 AM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida

07-coffee3

Which stage of grief are you in? I know you can't fathom that the Big 12 isn't getting raided by the PAC, but I see now you are coming to terms with it, albeit still with inaccuracies.
07-08-2022 06:04 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Going forward, I am not sure we see any conferences other than the B1G and SEC being willing to sign GORs. I am not sure we see a GOR in the new nB12 or nPAC deals, if those conferences exist in 2024.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022 07:59 AM by quo vadis.)
07-08-2022 07:59 AM
Advertisement

Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 07:59 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Going forward, I am not sure we see any conferences other than the B1G and SEC being willing to sign GORs. I am not sure we see a GOR in the new nB12 or nPAC deals, if those conferences exist in 2024.

There’s not a big need from conference side if there’s only one middle conference.

GORs benefit networks as much, or more than conferences. But with only 2 networks controlling two possible call-up conferences, not hard to put in clauses. If Fox owns rights to Big 18, won’t be hard to factor in getting UW to BIG for example
07-08-2022 08:06 AM
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
I think it is fairly well stated that the 99 year term of having a 2 year tv revenue exit fee will prevent any team from leaving to a conference that isn’t the SEC or B1G this immediate timeframe. The $80M price tag simply isn’t worth it. The $80M still has OUT values factored in, so this penalty could be significantly lowered if the next media deal is lower than current. I know there are conflicting reports of what the next media deal will be as some have speculated the adds + inflation will keep it similar to today’s value & others have speculated OUT will cause it to drop significantly. If it does drop significantly the the top of the B12 become more poachable in the next realignment, not right now.

I also think we have seen both a reluctance for the middle schools in the PAC & ACC to consider moving to the B12 ( call it academic snobbery or whatever) or any desire for a conference to fully dissolve ( too much exit fee money available to schools not moving up).

Between the combination of those for the short term (this next media cycle) I see the likelihood of any changes be limited to a league being raided by SEC/B1G having to add a couple of G5’s similar to what the B12 did last year.

Things could get very interesting in the next media cycle if the PAC & B12 set their next media deals up to end around the same time the ACC’s deal does.
07-08-2022 08:23 AM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 08:23 AM)hk25 Wrote:  I think it is fairly well stated that the 99 year term of having a 2 year tv revenue exit fee will prevent any team from leaving to a conference that isn’t the SEC or B1G this immediate timeframe. The $80M price tag simply isn’t worth it. The $80M still has OUT values factored in, so this penalty could be significantly lowered if the next media deal is lower than current. I know there are conflicting reports of what the next media deal will be as some have speculated the adds + inflation will keep it similar to today’s value & others have speculated OUT will cause it to drop significantly. If it does drop significantly the the top of the B12 become more poachable in the next realignment, not right now.

I also think we have seen both a reluctance for the middle schools in the PAC & ACC to consider moving to the B12 ( call it academic snobbery or whatever) or any desire for a conference to fully dissolve ( too much exit fee money available to schools not moving up).

Between the combination of those for the short term (this next media cycle) I see the likelihood of any changes be limited to a league being raided by SEC/B1G having to add a couple of G5’s similar to what the B12 did last year.

Things could get very interesting in the next media cycle if the PAC & B12 set their next media deals up to end around the same time the ACC’s deal does.

I think the days of moving up G5 are over. Maybe Boise St & SDSU this round, maybe.

It is best for all leftovers for there to be a single middle class conference.
3-5 former P5 schools could go down in this process.

If you're a G5, you have to hope FOX or another network gets involved and attempts to keep the "3" out of ESPN's hands. If FOX makes a combo of the Big 12 and Pac, that makes it more unlikely the ACC ends early via schools make a 3rd conference with Pac and Big 12. That may leave room for some G5s to backfill ACC, but i'd still bet on those leftover ACC schools joining the Big12-Pac combo.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2022 07:08 PM by Big 12 fan too.)
07-09-2022 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.